[Drama 2019] The Secret Life of my Secretary / I love you from the beginning, 초면에 사랑합니다

0ly40

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

:joy: Did you feel that he purposely mispronounce the word “Park”?

1 hour ago, frozentundra said:

I seriously died laughing when Dom tried to imitate Veronica Park (fark?). :D 

I think he purposely mispronounce it to make it sound funny. Lol.

Saw this clip on instagram and I just had to share. It's soo hilarious.

CR to sbsnow_insta

Oh, so finally got to watch episode 10 with subs.

My thoughts (add 'I think' in front of all of them :D)

1- Dom wants to be punched so that he can see DJ's face

2- Yeah, like others have said, he will pick fakeVP 

3- based on the preview, realVP might pressure GH into confessing so that she can get on with her romance with DJ... and it just might work to tip the balance into GH's favour.

4- Dom and DJ possibly half brothers? Maybe even SecEW is Dom's mother (I've been thinking about this for a while but the fish thing convinced me). 

5- SecEW is hoping to bring the whole company down as a final "(swear word) you" to Dom's dad... though why wait this long is beyond me. Her loyalty to DJ stems from her friendship with his mom (another sec) and also bitterness that one son got everything but the other(going with them as half brothers) got nothing. 

6- SecEW as the best candidate for 'Boss'--You don't cast such a well-known actress for the simple role of secretary. 

7- Also from the preview: Dom is wearing the same outfit for the 'wedding planning meeting' and GH's confession (a classic day to night look). So I bet that will be a mind mess-around for him if there ever was one. 

8- I have absolute faith that he is going to find out by the end of next week. We need to wrap this mis-identity story so that we can focus on the workplace drama for two episodes and then have two more to wrap everything up... I'm crossing my fingers for a double wedding

Final two cents:

9- I am really enjoying this drama. They've managed to balance the cute and the angst out perfectly. We are all pulling out hair out over dumdumDom and screaming at GH to just tell him already. In a lot of ways it feels very classic/vintage rom-com. A lot of dramas have been trying to subvert or at least play around with the tropes but TSLOMS is just leaning in and making the most of it... which I like

10- Kim Jae Kyung is a revelation. Her VP gives me all the feels and the way she dropped her guard around DJ was so well done that I hope she gets more work off the back of that scene alone. How she manages to keep up the VP persona is beyond me.

Ooo one last thing (I promise). VP, in general, is just proving to be an incredible foil to GH. Both have major trust issues and struggle to stand up for themselves (yes, VP too... only she has the money and confidence to brazen everything out which GH who grew up poor doesn't have). They have both ended up compromising to be with the men they like but I hope that they will end up *not* compromising and finding a way to have the relationship they want--please, please, please don't let GH remain a secretary at the end!!! I will hate you drama if you do that...

Anyway, see you all next week! can't wait :blush:

I’m in love with this drama . I think it’s got a great balance . Tuesday’s episode pulled at the heartstrings . I felt Gal Hee’s tears at the funeral & I think for the first time in this drama I shed some tears :sweatingbullets:.i know that  Gal Hee’s character has been getting some flak for her continuous deception. But for someone who for her entire life has just been taking care of everyone but herself,  I can understand the desire to be treated like a woman , like a human . Dom is too confused by his current state to be using his brain cells properly as well. So I’ll excuse him too.  

—————

Subbed BTS ...SBS is in shipping mode :joy:

15 hours ago, triplem said:

i know that  Gal Hee’s character has been getting some flak for her continuous deception..... Dom is too confused by his current state to be using his brain cells properly as well. So I’ll excuse him too.

you are very kind but I am not! :tounge_xd: hahahahha..... so I am not sure why I am still watching because this deception is getting ridiculous. <_< keep thinking that a man should pay attention to hair -- how many red haired permed girls are running around him? but then again, he is a man so maybe not? but then there is her height, build and voice. does he not recognize her frequency at all? we have romantic dramas where people are re-incarnated in other births and they still recognize each other or end up in some other body (soul switching) and they still recognize each other. so is this drama teaching us that is just silly? :tounge_wink:

the drama is still watchable because of the allure of veronica park who is kooky but vulnerable! hahahaha... the moment with dae ju was really sweet and gives a real insight into how she ticks. so this deception means veronica park and dae ju will be separated more? waaah... and when do we get the mystery solved. does anyone else want min ik and uncle to be friends? they sort of make fun frenemies.

15 hours ago, triplem said:

i know that  Gal Hee’s character has been getting some flak for her continuous deception. But for someone who for her entire life has just been taking care of everyone but herself,  I can understand the desire to be treated like a woman , like a human . 

Yes, I know I'm one of the flakkers--no matter what the drama is, there will be anti's, and I guess this time it's me.  I'm glad other people can enjoy this show even though, in my opinion, it has gone horribly wrong.

But the plain fact of the matter is that I cannot stand the deception.  It seems to me if someone has suffered by not being able to take care of herself and has not been treated like a woman (or, more importantly, as a human being!) she would be a person who would understand more deeply than anyone how much harm lies would cause.   And she would especially avoid causing harm to anyone else who has suffered unfairness in their lives--someone like Dom--because she knows what emotional pain is.  That's why the whole lie thing does not make sense.

I wanted to like this show but I am just Not having it.  The lie has gone on way too long.  And making Dom a dumb-dumb has gone on way too long.  It's not fun.  It's not funny.  The Big Fat Lie is cruel and manipulative.  I'm not watching, probably never will.  Now I just want to know how it ends. 

@thistle ~ totally get your feel because I felt like fast forwarding through their romance bits instead of squealing and enjoying it. simple reason -- her deception, tears and self-pity just comes across as a bit silly and half-baked. so I don't buy her explanation or her lack of will power to tell him the truth. if you have been through so much, then pull up your big girl pants and stop deceiving the man you love. like you said, min ik is vulnerable. if she really wanted to protect him, then is deceiving him for her personal gain the way to go about it? in a way, min ik comes across as a real fool -- he believes everyone he meets and actually sees the best in them. what to say about such a guy? is he a fool or just good? ...

but veronica park - dae joo bits are good that I find the drama still interesting to watch. actually only watching to see how the second lead story plays out...

@thistle and @Lmangla First, I really respect your points and pov. Everything you have said makes sense and I understand why you might give up on this couple/drama.

I was like you re the deception and how cruel it is to Dom and especially coming from GH. I would have completely cut the drama if it was trying to be serious about anything but the fact it is a farce convinced me otherwise. Essentially I've intellectualised it in order to enjoy it.

I don't want to force my opinion on you... I just want to lay out how I am coping with the lies and why I think I'll be able to enjoy the drama on a week-by-week basis. So hear me out (kinda long, sorry).

This show is a complete farce. For those who don't know, a farce is "characterized by physical humour, the use of deliberate absurdity or nonsense, and broadly stylized performances"(wiki actually has a good definition for once); mistaken identity and mistaken identity in LOVE are common tropes. One of the most famous farces is 'Cosi Fan Tutte' by Mozart. The plot is about two couples. The men want to test the loyalty of the women so the pretend to go to war but then secretly come back in disguises. They each woo the other's girlfriend/fiance. Both are successful, there are fake marriages, and the guys 'return' 'outraged' that their fiances cheated on them. In the end all is forgiven. It is so frustrating and each time I see it/listen to it I end up *hating* the men and feeling really awful for the women (even though they technically cheated). I go back to it because I read it not as 'all women cheat' but 'men can be a**holes who don't trust the people they are meant to love'. Neither is a *good* interpretation but ultimately there is blame to spread around and nothing is black and white.

I personally think the lies in Cosi Fan Tutte are worse that TSLOMS but that doesn't excuse them. However if you step back the lies in TSLOMS serve a purpose. Neither Dom nor GH have had people they can rely on except for one/two people who have been with them their whole lives (DJ and Oppa/lil' sis). But none of those people have been there/able to protect them. They don't have a playbook of good emotional choices. Instead, they make really bad emotional choices at every opportunity which will ultimately backfire spectacularly. GH lying is an obvious "no, no" and probably for most of us the hardest to swallow but I can't stand the fact that Dom goes from treating his loyal, hard-working secretary like a slave to being so considerate to a woman who is 'of his class' --really? that is how you choose to treat people? I'm also bummed that all he wants to do is suppress his feelings for GH to the point that he can't even imagine that they are the same person. While the lie is manipulative and the easiest of the misunderstandings to fix, Dom shouldn't get off either. He needs to learn that people are people no matter their background and that everyone should be treated equally... 

For me the big lie is important for both characters to grow. It isn't about them being able to trust someone but about learning that for GH it is possible to be treated like a real person and for Dom that you can't treat people differently based on their backgrounds. (and this isn't HPL which gave us couplegoals overload with their constant communication and honesty trips.) 

I sincerely get the aversion to the lie (especially if you have had someone you love lie or seen it, which I have). And if it were to happen in most any other drama I'd have left and not looked back... however I'm allowing the lie because ultimately there is blame to go around. I'm not justifying the lie, instead I'm seeing it as a gateway for them to learn to 1-love yourself and not let people step on you and 2-treat people the same regardless of background. Comedy is ultimately about ending with a world that is better and more hopeful than the one it started with and I guess that is what I want to get from this show.

VP and DJ are also comedy gold and the closest to couplegoals we'll get in this drama.

I have lots of thoughts, it's just that I don't know how to say them hahaha all I know is I'm really enjying the drama, it makes me laugh annoyed and frustrated at the same time :lol:

I lovee the scene with the fish tank, I find the moss balls like a representation of their individual feelings, when the moss ball start to float on Gal hee's side when she's taken aback and same with Dom's, and when the last moss ball float gal hee traces it then joined by Dom then bam they touched each other's hand, so they'll both gonna be there soon, two hearts will be one. Ahhh can't wait!!! 

And also I wonder why the the head sec says Gal Hee unlaatched the door, was it correct?

So the Uncle knew who that driver is? 

And Galhee's sister is not aound when she went to V's office it would be epic if they meet there kekke

Don't be serious everyone, just go with the flow and have fun while watching, and its Friday today so new bts coming soon? I hope :)

10 minutes ago, reign84 said:

Probably... he is the brother of his secretary, right? So he might know him.

I somehow feel that the uncle might not be the baddie after all... hmmm...

@Lmangla and @thistle  I can understand your frustration with the deception. But just like the title said, it’s The SECRET Life of My Secretary. I am sure that GH impersonating VP will remain a secret for longer than we all wished. That’s the very premise of the story. This is a comedy genre, so I am pretty sure Dom will not suffer emotionally because of the deception, or when he found out. In fact, we’re seeing that the person suffering the most from the deception is none other than GH herself. Also someone mentioned earlier in the thread that all these are necessary for character development of GH, as well as Dom himself. I do hope you can enjoy the show more going forward, knowing that it is a light comedy genre. 

@tinymel love your post above :) 

19 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

Probably... he is the brother of his secretary, right? So he might know him.

I somehow feel that the uncle might not be the baddie after all... hmmm.

Hmmm maybe it's DJ sec, she's suspicious too, she' been working in that compapany since Dom and DJ were little, so she knows what's going on and wonder who is Dom's mom coz if I remember he just mention not his real mom not real parents right? Do you think maybe Dom and DJ were half brothers but Dom doesn't have interaction with Dj's mom when they were little though, lol! What am I saying kekeke :))

@tinymel I enjoyed reading your take and wanted to add, in a farce, often the theatrical device employed is dramatic irony; that is, the audience knows what the main lead/s does not. It’s used to create tension, comedy, and also makes the audience cringe/ get frustrated on the character’s behalf. Which is all of our varying perceptions here and part of a healthy spectrum, haha.

I often get frustrated with a character’s development and have to remember as the audience I am privileged to have a larger perspective on the situation than the character does, and it is all part of the experience that the writers and directors toy with, allowing us to be omniscient at times, and restricted at others :)

hello hello thread and all who have been following! I’m absurdly enjoying this show despite starting late (only started last week). KYK is comedy gold. And that is perhaps why we feel so hard for him; a lot of the writing has been done to make us empathize with him, unfortunately. 

44 minutes ago, reign84 said:

Hmmm maybe it's DJ sec, she's suspicious too, she' been working in that compapany since Dom and DJ were little, so she knows what's going on and wonder who is Dom's mom coz if I remember he just mention not his real mom not real parents right? Do you think maybe Dom and DJ were half brothers but Dom doesn't have interaction with Dj's mom when they were little though, lol! What am I saying kekeke :))

The bio mother left him with the father when he was 7 yo. At that time, the women around Dom were Chairman Shin, DJ’s mother, Sec.Lee... then DJ’s mom passed away, so Sec.Lee been taking care of DJ and became his secretary. I wonder why when she used to be the secretary of Dom’s father, she wasn’t assigned to be Dom’s secretary but DJ’s instead... must be the doings of Chairman Shin. But why...

@attriste welcome welcome :) Looking forward to more posts from you. 

The various fake stuff besides a fake Veronica Park... :joy:

I appreciate how the Production Team made little effort like these to point back to the theme of real vs. fake.

Cardio (Cartio would be better... Cardio made me think of sports instead of bling-bling :P)

9jh1Pjr.png

Frada - Malano

iYhj2Ae.png

CUCCA

VXwQCaX.png

2 hours ago, reign84 said:

I have lots of thoughts, it's just that I don't know how to say them hahaha all I know is I'm really enjying the drama, it makes me laugh annoyed and frustrated at the same time :lol:

I lovee the scene with the fish tank, I find the moss balls like a representation of their individual feelings, when the moss ball start to float on Gal hee's side when she's taken aback and same with Dom's, and when the last moss ball float gal hee traces it then joined by Dom then bam they touched each other's hand, so they'll both gonna be there soon, two hearts will be one. Ahhh can't wait!!! 

And also I wonder why the the head sec says Gal Hee unlaatched the door, was it correct?

And Galhee's sister is not aound when she went to V's office it would be epic if they meet there kekke

Don't be serious everyone, just go with the flow and have fun while watching, and its Friday today so new bts coming soon? I hope :)

Refering to the fish tank.. loved your reference to the moss balls and the sequence of floatations. any thoughts on the emphasis of fish type at the vet's.... ie platinum vs gold and the significance of what DOM's father naming convention of "Arom".  I had a peculiar thought run through my mind in relation to Sec Lee's comment abt GH opening the "door" ...

@tinymel ~ so I am wondering whether to write this post as I don't want to spoil it for those who are enjoying the drama. I have been holding off as much as possible on writing about what bothers me about this drama. :sweatingbullets: putting it all in spoilers. 

Spoiler

so thanks for explaining the angle where you are coming from. :) so I get what you mean by farce but I am not someone who generally enjoys farce at all. I don't find it funny, just sad and weird.

so the scene in the funeral parlor where she is crying buckets is probably meant to be both funny and sad. except I found it distasteful to the dead, the act of mourning and the family that experienced the loss. now because it is a farce and comedy, I get that I am not supposed to take it seriously but my first gut reaction is a shake of the head. but because it is a comedy, I sort of close my eyes and try to ignore such reactions but it lessens my enjoyment of the drama.

@ktcjdrama ~ it isn't the deception per se that bothers me because I watch a lot of melos where there's all sorts of deceptions. for me, there is no acceptable motivation for the continued deception when she is well aware of the stakes. is she in physical danger of any kind? is her family being threatened by loan sharks? is she fueled by revenge and loyalty? nothing -- see, the first few weeks were totally fine because it started out as a harmless prank. but when she knows that his heart is getting involved and how he felt about the first secretary deceiving him, then the game should have been up.

so I get that this lie will eventually lead to character development but am not seeing character growth. she cries buckets of tears at the funeral and what does she do? goes home, sleeps and then meets veronica park the next day. why not meet min ik and take the time to confess before veronica park removes that opportunity? so her inability to step up and tell the truth makes her character seem weak, lacking honour, respect and unworthy to be with min ik. instead of cheering for her, part of me feels the pairing is not good for either of them and is not healthy in the long run. she goes out of the way to do things for him like a slave but is unable to tell him the truth or how she really feels about anything. so it feels like a relationship that will fail eventually. :ph34r:

now, because she hasn't told the truth, we have two business families talking marriage -- so we have money at stake, company management at stake, his business reputation at stake, veronica and dae ju's relationship that just started is already falling apart because dae ju thinks VP kind of dated min ik and min ik loves her, his relationship with his family at stake, his relationship with dae ju is at stake -- so many factors where min ik is vulnerable and in danger of looking like an utter fool -- so thats not protection. so yea, it is a comedy where we are not supposed to take it seriously but I am just not able to enjoy the drama fully because of these mixed feelings.

the drama would have been way more interesting and juicy if we had these two in forced proximity after she reveals the truth  but they are forced to work together -- she is awkward, frustrated and guilty whereas he is mad, angry and not trusting and in the midst of this, there's this crazy attraction and want. now that is a drama I would have loved! ^_^

Archived