[Drama 2019] The Secret Life of my Secretary / I love you from the beginning, 초면에 사랑합니다

0ly40

I suppose from Dom's POV, intentions don't matter so much right now. If you're on the receiving end of a deception/etc I think at first you're going to only care that you've been lied to/hurt, not whether the person meant to do it. I think intentions start to matter when it comes to forgiveness. Ofc most people are not going to forgive someone who maliciously hurt them. I think when Dom comes to realize GH's true intentions, then it will matter in terms of him forgiving her. 

I don't think intentions matter much to GH right now either. I don't think we're going to see her saying "oh well my intentions were never to hurt Dom so it's okay." I think instead we are gonna see her hating on herself and not being able to forgive herself. 

I guess where intentions matter most then would be with myself as a third party. Knowing where GH's heart really lies helps me understand her intentions and be able to forgive her.  

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everyone, Im new to this forum. I have been actually following this forum since beginning but only now decided to appear..hehe.

I just love how you all were discussing in terms of DOM and GH POV. Wow, the latest episode was among the best episode. I love how the main cast potrayed their emotions especially the 'TRUTH' scene between GH and DOM. It was so painful, I felt so sad for both of them...keep repeating the scene.

I understand why DOM was so angry, disappointed but at the same time I also know GH was feeling so guilty that she become speechless and can only say sorry. When GH met her mom after the sad scene, I think it is the best dialogue, how she felt so guilty and can only say sorry. DOM cries was so painful. This is the best breakup scene in kdrama in my POV...the dialogue and emotion was accurate.

I wonder how the director/writer will do the reconciliation between them. What a long waiting now.....

Let's refresh our memory :D... It's really long, so I put the rest in spoilers. The main thing for me is, the snowballing effect of her initial lie to have fun, and how she has always been apologetic about it since the beginning. It's long I know, but at least read the red highlighted words of GH.

Impersonation #1 (ep.5/6 and 7/8) ~ Fancy Dinner

- The episode begins with narration from GH "Sometimes, one minute can change everything". Also earlier that day, she was influenced by what Senior Sec said in the pantry: "He made it seem like it's a gift when it's something natural. He made you become happy about what you're entitled to receive" ~ so I believe there is a little resentment about her life on that day.

- While she is being dolled up for clubbing, she still thinks about whether he made it to the dinner in time due to traffic. When making calls to check, she found out the mixed up of venues and rushed out in the middle of it, complete with rolls in hair. Since Dom forgot his phone is car, she has no choice but run to the venue. She called and told VP she will go inform Dom that VP will be running late, but VP refused because she wanted to spend time with DJ instead. VP's motto "If you made a mistake and get all tangled up, just tango on". GH worried because Dom has told her to prepare everything thoroughly, but she decided "For now, I should just go and tell him the truth"

- She reached the restaurant, but stunned when Dom said he's been waiting for her (meaning VP). She saw Dom pulled out the chair, the food served, and curious to know how Dom treats other woman. It was an impulsive decision, not premeditated. Up to that point, her intention was to tell him about VP not being able to come. Anyway, they had dinner and then the peanut incident happened. While at the restroom, she told herself to wrap things up and call it a night. She wanted to go home on her own, but Dom insisted on walking with her. While walking, both of them are further impressed and falling deeper into each other. She massaged his hand because she felt it's partly her fault that he got indigestion due to skipping lunch since his secretary took the full hour for lunch. They said goodbye, and she said "It's nice meeting you. And I'm sorry" ~ she apologized, but of course she is thinking something else and Dom also not catching what she is really sorry for.

- Next morning in the office, she berated herself for acting crazy the night before. Then she got called by VP to match up their alibis.

Spoiler

Impersonation #2 (ep.7/8 and 9/10) ~ Returning Yellow Umbrella

- Dom insisted to get VP's number and GH got him the fake number. Dom called wanting to return the umbrella. She didn't want to take the call, let first call go unanswered, and texted instead but accidentally answering his second call with a tap while texting. She asked him to throw umbrella away, but he insisted to go to her office to return it. Of course that cannot happen. Dom suggested to meet again that evening.

- Evening came, she dreaded meeting Dom as VP. She promised herself "Today will really be the last time", so she walked up to him. Alas, Dom lied and intentionally did not bring the umbrella to return to her. Next episode opens with her walking away from Dom who is running after her. He was wooing her with his talks, even though she tried to tell him she (VP) is infamous for her personality. She basically dumped him, and walked away. But then Dom got a call from DJ about him beating up the driver, and she overheard it, and became concerned. She couldn't help but turn back and offered assistance. Thus extending their time together while waiting for the security guard to come home. With more interactions, they fall for each other further. She immediately left when security guard came home. Dom: "Will we be able to meet again?" GH replied firmly "No." ~ not intending to carry on with the charade.

In 11/12 and 13/14 we also see how regretful and conflicted GH was about the deception (sea side talk). She also shared to her mother that she didn't deceive Dom on purpose, but admitted that she liked the way Dom treated her when she is fake VP.

Impersonation #3 (ep.13/14 and 15/16) ~ Breaking Up that ends in One Day Dating

- VP instructed GH to meet up again with Dom to end the relationship, saying that she is seeing another man. Using the arranged marriage as ultimatum. GH is conflicted, but in the end she agreed to do it so as to be able to still remain by his side as secretary.

- They met. She told him as instructed by VP and walked away. Yet she was worried that Dom will be sad, still she told herself not to turn back and look, because then she will never be able to go back to working for him. However, Dom pulled her back and proposed to spend their last 12 hours together, promising to let her go after that. At the end of the date, Dom requested for a kiss.

In ep.19/20 ~ GH got found out by VP herself at the funeral home. She admitted in tears that "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry that I even feel bad about apologizing. I'll tell Director Do everything tomorrow and gladly get punished for what I did." But VP said she wants to take the night to think of the right punishment for her and asked GH to meet her at her office next morning. Although GH needs to get punishment from Dom, VP has the right to punish her as well. Next day, VP got her dressed up and told her to continue faking her. GH said, again in tears: "I can't do that. I can't lie to him again... I like him, but I have to lie to him. He trusts me, but I betrayed him. I can't do it anymore. I would rather just tell him the truth and end this whole thing. I will accept any other punishment but this. I don't care if it's much harder.".... But VP pleaded with her to help her out this time. Again using the arranged marriage as the reasoning.

Impersonation #4 (ep.21/22) ~ CinePark

- Dom suddenly showed up at VP's office. VP ordered GH to come running there.

Impersonation #5 (ep.21/22) ~ Going to Concert

- Didn't end up happening, because GH already could not take it anymore seeing Dom is in love with another woman, even though technically it is herself. She ran to VP's office and said: "I can't do this." and cried her hearts out for all the conflicting emotions in her. Turned out that VP has meant for it to play out that way, for GH to experience the pain of impersonation. According to VP, it's a severe punishment. GH said while crying "I have to end this today. I'll tel him the truth even if we'll have to cut ties. I don't care if my life will end today, but I have to end this today. I can't do this anymore. Please. Please let me tell him everything." VP finally said "I guess you've been punished enough." ~ On the way to meet Dom, the car accident happened. At the hospital, VP asked GH: "What if he doesn't forgive you?" GH: "Even if he doesn't forgive me, I think I should tell him the truth and apologize first."

Impersonation #6 (ep.23/24) ~ Time to Tell the Truth

- GH went with her cast on. Surely she knows she would be found out like that. And with the kdrama rules, she doesn't get to tell the truth because Dom found out about it already, so that the angst can be cued in. Yes, she kept saying sorry, well what else could she say though.

8 hours ago, thranduils said:

ouuu! I find conversations about intention so fascinating! Does it matter if the person meant to do well if eventually they caused more harm than good? Should intention be acknowledged or thrown out the window in the face of actions that were objectively harmful *in the end?* I don't think there's one definitive answer, but I'd love to hear any of your thoughts on this matter ~ :)

Personally, I believe that regardless of intentions, the individual has to take responsibility for their actions and acknowledge what they have contributed towards. So, for me, it makes a lot of sense that GH would be fired and forced to critically reflect on what she ultimately did, because regardless of her *intentions*, the reality remains that trust was breached and that Dom is hurting, very very deeply. If Dom does decide to forgive her, I really really hope that he does so because GH actively and intentionally works to regain his trust again (which in reality would probably take years but w/e LOL). Maybe this is an unpopular opinion, but I don't want Dom to forgive GH simply because he *loves* her? He's coming from a place of deep longing for love and affection in his life, and forgiving through this vulnerable (and yearning?) state  feels really disingenuous to me? It feels almost exploitative (towards Dom ofc) ??? Idk if that makes sense LOL but lemme know what y'all think ~ 

so definitely agree with you but given this is a mini-series as opposed to a daily or a weekend drama, we may not get to see gal hee truly take responsibility for her actions or acknowledge the result of her actions. it may just be forgotten and forgiven simply because he loves her. but realistically speaking, such a relationship would be doomed because min ik needs trust.

so to give context, in a weekend drama thread, we debated this question - why some forgive while others don't (in regards to infidelity). so the answer was surprisingly deep -- it really depends on your top most need and want from a relationship. meaning if trust and honesty is important to you, then it is going to be hard for you to close your eyes and pretend it is okay. however, if something like financial security, companionship etc is most important, then a character might overlook the spouse cheating.

so back to our drama, min ik very clearly told gal hee that he requires trust. he lives in a family where he can't trust to tell them of his illness. he works for a company where he can't trust anyone to share how he is struggling. and he shared how devastated he was by the actions of his first secretary and how his decision to trust gal hee was a huge momentous step. he was choosing to place his trust in her. it was a very big deal for him and that was very clearly communicated. if trust wasn't a big deal for him, then it is easy to see how he could forgive her simply because he loves her. but for a person whom trust is overarching need in a relationship, how can he trust again?

if this was a weekend or daily drama, we would have plenty of time to really explore this kind of issue. many of them really explore such breakdowns in relationship in a beautiful way and the reconciliation makes total sense. but since time may be a factor here in this drama (how many episodes do we have left?), maybe all will be forgiven simply because he loves her and not because she has earned his trust again.

Wohoo so many interesting discussions going on here. Really appreciate it.

I do agree that GH is unintentionally impersonating VP. These are moments I remember (Already deeply analysed by uri fellow eonnie @ktcjdrama):

1. 1st time: GH actually wasn't planning to do it. Once she met DMI, DMI DIRECTLY greeted her as VP. GH also saw the food she really wanted to taste, so she just went with it. The next morning, she planned to admit it but perhaps she wasn't ready yet, so she didn't do it. (Look! Even from the beginning she already planned to admit it.) ------ GH unintentionally took advantage for the food and how to be treated as a lady.

2. 2nd time: DMI asked to meet for returning the umbrella. He also made GH to stay for a while although GH really felt uneasy. In this point, real VP already knew the condition and she asked GH to keep impersonating her ------- GH didn't take any advantages, she just followed what DMI asked that made her stay.

3. 3rd time: Real VP and GH discussed how to end the ties with DMI by saying that VP had got another man. GH went to DMI to cut ties with him but DMI asked her to stay for the last 12 hours. GH wasn't prepared for this so she decided to go for it, thinking that it would be the last. Also, as she had started to like DMI, she wanted to feel how to have a proper date, at least for 12 hours. --------- GH didn't expect it. She unintentionally took advantage for being DMI's girlfriend for 12hours as she also started to like DMI.

4. 4th time: Real VP made a deal with GH for impersonating her for 1 month. She taught GH how to impersonate her correctly. They dressed like twins and VP-GH didn't meet DMI yet.

5. 5th time: DMI suddenly came to the cinema, wanting to meet VP. VP then hurriedly asked GH to impersonate her as she disguised as a secretary. Here, DMI was feeling uneasy and made many excuses to leave as DMI started to figure out whom he liked. GH couldn't admit it yet because of the deal with VP.

6. 6th time: DMI asked VP to meet in the concert hall and to ask her for dating. VP-GH already came but she really felt guilty and couldn't take it anymore. So, in the end she didn't meet DMI but VP instead. The car accident happened.

7. 7th time: They met in the merry-go-round. GH had prepared everything (The note, calling DMI as Director Do, keeping the hand cast) to admit while DMI already figured out everything. GH couldn't do anything other than saying sorry.

From those seven times dressed as VP, only in no. 1 and 3 did she take the advantages. It was also unintentional. That's why I don't really agree to put all the blame to GH, even to call her as the bad girl.

DMI can also be blamed; there are some moments in which he gave high hopes to GH only to put her down.
1. He grabbed GH's face. GH was so happy to be called pretty although she had no parents, no money, no buildings. But then DMI said that he thought it was VP's. Imagine if we were GH.

2. The fish tank scene. He already leant for kissing GH and GH was ready. But then he broke it! He opened his eyes, pushed GH and didn't say sorry. Once again, imagine if we were GH.

3. In the cinema,(after they already promised not to see each other again) VP-GH asked DMI whether he, perhaps, had liked another woman. But then DMI said that he didn't (He lied! He actually liked GH, too, but he didn't say so!). And then VP-GH ensured again and he said that he didn't like another woman. VP-GH looked very sad.

4. He never told GH the moments he could see people's faces. He also hadn't told GH that he could also see faces when he was with her/the woman he loved, aside from the high blood pressure.

Additionally, it is not only DMI who faced problems (love problem, friendship, and the company). GH also did (love problem, Sec. Lee seemed to have an agenda for her, his sister lied to her about the university.)

That being said, each of them is flawed and suffered from some problems. They are quite even. Therefore, to say that GH is the bad girl (without considering DMI's side) is a bit harsh and unfair, in my opinion.

5 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

What I was trying to say is not to defend GH of having good intentions with her actions, but that she never intended any hurt/harm. Nevertheless she is aware that it will hurt him and the guilt been eating her up. I have no problem with the firing because when trust is breached, there is no way to work together, so yeah I'm fine with Dom's decision. I won't even fault him saying that it's for personal or unethical reason, because he has every right to fire the person working for him.

AH, sorry, I wasn't trying to insinuate at all that you were justifying GH's actions with her good intentions - my inquiry was directed at everyone, I was just building off of what you had previously articulated :P. Sorry about that, I should be more clear next time! :) 

1 hour ago, Lmangla said:

so back to our drama, min ik very clearly told gal hee that he requires trust. he lives in a family where he can't trust to tell them of his illness. he works for a company where he can't trust anyone to share how he is struggling. and he shared how devastated he was by the actions of his first secretary and how his decision to trust gal hee was a huge momentous step. he was choosing to place his trust in her. it was a very big deal for him and that was very clearly communicated. if trust wasn't a big deal for him, then it is easy to see how he could forgive her simply because he loves her. but for a person whom trust is overarching need in a relationship, how can he trust again?

This is really really cool stuff! I wonder if alternatively, it could be argued that along the hierarchy of Dom's needs, the need for love could triumph (or at least challenge) the need for trust? I think the way they've written Dom is that he is very emotionally starved in that he actively wants love and affection from those around him. He doesn't really get that from his mom, his family, and at some point, not even from Dae Ju (because his resignation is seen as a personal insult towards Dom and their relationship). I remember that one scene vividly where homeboy actually grinned at the idea of getting married and starting a family!! (It stays fresh in mind because when was the last time a k-drama chaebol ACTUALLY wanted to settle down ?? lmao).

Anyways, I guess what I'm trying to say is that if Dom's need for love is used as the main motivation behind his willingness to forgive, then I would feel doubly cheated and exploited ?? on his behalf. In my eyes at least, there's a huge difference between Dom forgiving out of love vs. the average (emotionally sated) person forgiving out of love. In Dom's case, it's unfair because his forgiveness is contextualized by a history of deep, deep yearning and fear of remaining unloved for the rest of his life. And that doesn't really feel healthy or authentic? to me. And so while I'm already anticipating that this is the route the writers will go down (for the reasons you've elaborated above), I would feel doubly wronged because forgiving out of love is already a questionable cop-out, but then doing that with a character who is emotionally vulnerable takes this to a whole different level of hell LOL.

Related image

Anyways, hope this rant made sense, lemme know what y'all think :) 

28 minutes ago, oneandthree3 said:

3. In the cinema,(after they already promised not to see each other again) VP-GH asked DMI whether he, perhaps, had liked another woman. But then DMI said that he didn't (He lied! He actually liked GH, too, but he didn't say so!).

Should add here too that he lied about having to leave immediately because of meetings and pretended to be on a call with his secretary :sweatingbullets:

11 minutes ago, thranduils said:

Anyways, I guess what I'm trying to say is that if Dom's need for love is used as the main motivation behind his willingness to forgive, then I would feel doubly cheated and exploited ?? on his behalf. In my eyes at least, there's a huge difference between Dom forgiving out of love vs. the average (emotionally sated) person forgiving out of love. In Dom's case, it's unfair because his forgiveness is contextualized by a history of deep, deep yearning and fear of remaining unloved for the rest of his life. And that doesn't really feel healthy or authentic? to me. And so while I'm already anticipating that this is the route the writers will go down (for the reasons you've elaborated above), I would feel doubly wronged because forgiving out of love is already a questionable cop-out, but then doing that with a character who is emotionally vulnerable takes this to a whole different level of hell LOL. Anyways, hope this rant made sense, lemme know what y'all think :) 

I don't think forgiveness can ever be earned... It is an undeserved gift. If you've wronged a person, it is up to the graciousness of that person to forgive you. How do we measure how much is enough to earn forgiveness?

Forgiveness is a choice. Even if the offending party is unrepentant and does not ask nor work for forgiveness, we can still choose to forgive and free ourselves from the bondage of hatred and anger that will only eat us up.

I just caught the subbed episode with the most spectacular demonstration of good hand-washing techniques; by the time it ended, not only were their hands squeaky clean, it seemed there was no soap left. :lol: The heat generated must hv evaporated all the liquid.

they were so cute, as were VP and 2nd male lead (forgot his name...hiaks!)

Being betrayed by the person one trusts is a terrible feeling, what more when the person is one you trust the most. I think Gal Hee is that person to Min Ik - she had unconsciously replaced the position his BFF used to hold. As a business partner, he trusted her for everything but matters of the heart - never saw her that way or fathomed the possibility. But when presented as a romantic partner (thou thru false identity but her characteristics remain), he had the avenue to gradually develop that liking for her as a person further into love; however, trust in the romantic relationship was absent. 

He first needed to know/trust a person to love a person. With Gal Hee, he did. Not so much with GH-VP. I guess that’s what he was yoyo-ing over when wondering where/who to go to after the accident.

Trust is a big deal to him.

Once that crumbled, he took the absolute action of cutting her off by removing her from office. We all know that doesn’t take away the pain but perhaps increases it. 

Looking forward to see how they deal with this...:)

Hey, have they explained why Do Mi Nik's mother is constantly reminding him that he isn't actually part of their family? And she's also always telling him he should be grateful that she "accepted him" into their family despite his illness? Also, why did he have to have brain surgery? I think I missed something. Dang, he's been in a toxic environment for a long time and their all connected to each other, it's like he can't escape it. The company he's apart of is his family business (or, his dad's), but with that his toxic fake mom and uncle are connected to that too. The only real, genuine, person so far has been Gal Hee (minus being fake veronica park). 

On a separate note, I think the title says a lot about the drama: "I love you from the beginning." My theory is that Mi Nik has been able to recognize gal hee only because, as the title says, he's loved her from the beginning, before his illness. He fell in love with her a while ago, but started to realize it or was forced to consciously think about it when the relationship with "Veronica park" began to take a leap. Obviously, all will be well for them, it is a rom-com after all. 

1 hour ago, VanillaSalt said:

Hey, have they explained why Do Mi Nik's mother is constantly reminding him that he isn't actually part of their family? And she's also always telling him he should be grateful that she "accepted him" into their family despite his illness? Also, why did he have to have brain surgery? I think I missed something. Dang, he's been in a toxic environment for a long time and their all connected to each other, it's like he can't escape it. The company he's apart of is his family business (or, his dad's), but with that his toxic fake mom and uncle are connected to that too.

Most information is in ep.3/4, around the beginning. I will try to sum it up based on my understanding.

The company belongs to the Sim family (the mother and uncle). Dom's father took over from his father-in-law, but had Dom with another woman. I think the mother cannot conceive children so she reluctantly took in Dom (7 yo) as an heir and put him in the family registrar. He had a congenital giant aneurysm and underwent a surgery to insert a clip. The clip seems to have moved with the trauma on his head from the fall and that affected his facial recognition ability.

Additional info: DJ's mother, Sec.Choi, was the secretary of Chairman Do, passed away when DJ was in high school. DJ never knew who his father is. The current secretary of DJ (Sec.Lee) I think used to be Dom's father's secretary too.

21 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

Because washing hands is very important to keep the germs away ;):D

Right, let's subvert expectations and have the *girl* feel the romantic tension from the beginning and the *guy* realize about halfway through... be still my fluttering heart...

(also *love* that they are the Garlic couple. Garlic is good for your health but can sometimes leave a bad taste in your mouth. hahaha)

7 hours ago, thranduils said:

Anyways, I guess what I'm trying to say is that if Dom's need for love is used as the main motivation behind his willingness to forgive, then I would feel doubly cheated and exploited ?? on his behalf. In my eyes at least, there's a huge difference between Dom forgiving out of love vs. the average (emotionally sated) person forgiving out of love. In Dom's case, it's unfair because his forgiveness is contextualized by a history of deep, deep yearning and fear of remaining unloved for the rest of his life. And that doesn't really feel healthy or authentic? to me. And so while I'm already anticipating that this is the route the writers will go down (for the reasons you've elaborated above), I would feel doubly wronged because forgiving out of love is already a questionable cop-out, but then doing that with a character who is emotionally vulnerable takes this to a whole different level of hell LOL.

don't worry, your point makes total sense; it is the reason why there are toxic relationships where we all shake our head at the person while they declare "love!"... so did min ik fall for gal hee because he was so starved for love? it is a bit hard to tell because he seems so self-assured and confident. he doesn't seem resentful but more like grateful and wanting to prove himself to his adopted family. maybe if there was a change in the family dynamic with the mom and even the uncle, then it wouldn't seem so bad if he forgave gal hee for love.

am hoping that the forgiveness and reconciliation will be done well but this drama feels a bit weird as there are good and really dumb parts. so who knows?!

1 hour ago, ktcjdrama said:

Because washing hands is very important to keep the germs away ;):D 

Lol! I think I’m obsessed with all these hand touching ..I keep rewatching..

Thank you for your earlier post about Gal Hee. I actually like her character here , and find her real & relatable . A lot of her mistakes are mistakes - not malicious nor is it done to harm DMI.  

And in my opinion, there’s no right amount of time or a preset time frame for her to repent & for him to forgive her . She’s already very sorry . Anyway we have 4 more episodes, one episode is enough for separation ...this is a rom com with very sizzling chemistry btwn the leads , I am still waiting for a kiss btwn Gal Hee & Min Ik :D 

I agree with @VanillaSalt . Gal Hee in spite of being the Fake VP is the most genuine when it comes to looking out for Dom. Actually the one person that really bothers me is the mum. She’s really using him for her own gain. 

————-

When he removed his watch here ...I squealed ...haha he’s got that sexy posture

2 hours ago, triplem said:

When he removed his watch here ...I squealed ...haha he’s got that sexy posture

I noticed him removing his watch too... and yes I believe the Director intentionally wanted it that way :D 

Remember to wash your hands before bed tonight! You can follow the tutorial above, courtesy of DomDom. Turn up the audio for that ASMR experience ;):P:D 

Nice discussions... i was late in watching ep12... What i can say, I wish Dom's character have been more 'stronger' or manly rather than being nice and soft?

I prefer KWK's previous work, but not the part where he died, but at least in the drama, he was smart, intense and manly. Here, i understand the need to be a nice man, since this is a romance drama, but had his character be 'stronger' maybe the outcome would have been different with GH.... im not sure what im blabbing about now..... When i saw the merry-go-round scene - i was like, oh my, another reference to WWWSK, which some have pointed out the similarities to that drama earlier, especially the title of the drama. 

By ep. 12,  its obvious that Veronica Park stole the show with her antics, while GH has been relegated to the nice secretary category. I'm not even sure, if it is a good idea to let GH's deceased mom keep talking to her on life important moments .... sigh..  Overall, both have fault, i guess.. :)

Archived