[Drama 2019] The Secret Life of my Secretary / I love you from the beginning, 초면에 사랑합니다

0ly40

3 hours ago, thranduils said:

Ah, I think Dom definitely knows GH used to work for VP - that entire scene in one of the earlier episodes where he's begging GH for VP's phone number comes to mind :)

Oooo... I remembered that as she set up the date and therefore had VP's number...

Ah. ok found it. episode 8 (so ep 4 by the old way) about halfway through the ep. GH flips and says it is really hard to get her number and that she has heard rumours that VP has 10 phones. it is only when he threatens to call the secretary and ask her that GH gives the number. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, tinymel said:

Oooo... I remembered that as she set up the date and therefore had VP's number...

Ah. ok found it. episode 8 (so ep 4 by the old way) about halfway through the ep. GH flips and says it is really hard to get her number and that she has heard rumours that VP has 10 phones. it is only when he threatens to call the secretary and ask her that GH gives the number. 

:open_mouth:

You right, friend LOL. I guess it was a plot-hole after all :P Or maybe he's had a look through her past employers? It is curious indeed :kiss_closed: 

Also, hello hello folks, I've been lurking for some time but I wanted to thank all the re-cappers :) Your work is very much appreciated! @turtlegirl @ktcjdrama

As a side-note to one of the ongoing conversations, I also don't condone deceit any more than the next person, but I appreciate that the drama/writers don't use it is a comedic tool. At least, it's never felt that way to me. It's been made clear from day 1 that GH is aware of the fact that what she is doing is wrong, and that's only been reinforced as the drama has progressed (to be fair, their first encounter was definitely framed in a more light-hearted manner, but that tone quickly shifted after their second meeting). I think I would have been a lot more peeved if the writers tried to glamorize deception as a valid tool for forging relationships, but that hasn't been the case. I don't think that the moral undertones of this drama have been compromised in that it doesn't encourage intentional emotional manipulation - in fact, it spends a great deal of time detailing the emotional labor associated with a spiraling lie (for both the perpetrator (GH) and the victim (DOM).

Also, personally, I appreciate when characters are flawed because it feels a lot more humane and natural? I find that k-dramas often make their characters out to be 'perfect heroes' who are tasked with overcoming  external obstacles, and that's totally fine and valid, but I lose interest shortly because it ignores the other side of the coin whereby a lot obstacles in life arise out of internal conflict / character shortages/mistakes (as is the case here).

Like a lot of you folks, I'm also anticipating GH's character arc in which she grows to be a more self-assured individual who does not have to rely on wealth/fame (reasons for which she impersonates VP) in order to feel competent and confident. In fact, I think that one scene in yesterday's episode where GH begs VP to let her end this charade was particularly poignant because it illustrated that GH has started to think critically about where her identity as GH ends and where her identity as fake VP begins. ;) In all, I think it's important to show characters making very questionable yet realistic choices so long as you don't try to justify them as valid or healthy (or comedic). :) 

edit: please don't tell me I'm the only one who was looking over her shoulder for the entirety of the hand-washing scene in fear that someone would barge in and ask WHY I was watching explicit material so early in the morning :flushed::bawling:

That scene was ............................ out there LOL

Image result for blushing gif

9 hours ago, turtlegirl said:

So what is everyone's thoughts on this?

Can Dom really not see GH in the preview when he walks by her in the hospital? Oooorrr, is he just pretending not to be able to?

I think this is important. If he really cannot see her, then does this mean he stopped loving her? :bawling:

No, I think he can see, but he's pretending not to. I'm sure another case that Dr.Gu has not figure out, yet is when you get angry, blood pressure goes up, too. My guess is Dom IS going to see because he's angry of all the deceiving and lying he's been through. 

But.. I just finished the episode.. at the end when he fired her.. WAE? WAE? Do Min Ik ssi, WAE?!! :bawling:

But it's not as sad as when he was crying. My gosh, my heart :heartbreak: Kim Young Kwang, that was some good acting. I cried with you, too. :bawling::bawling:

The OST was just soo fitting, too.

I am good with gh not working for him i feel like gh should team up with vp and make a killer girl team. Plus i think both her and dom need a little time apart to appreciate the love they have for each other. On another note i think it's time gh found her little sister is not where she said she was. Although i am sure it's going to hurt her. All the lying and decit need to stop or we wont have time left to tie all the loose ends. There is still a whole other world of lies going in that office that i am really hoping start coming out soon cause enough is enough. 

@turtle0217 Thanks turtle chingu for your thoughts. You are brave to watch the episodes already. I don't want to watch them (well, with subs ofc) till Sunday night cuz otherwise I will feel too sad all the rest of the week and weekend. And this is assuming that Monday's episode will bring some happiness (which it very well may not). 

Well that episode broke me.

Nothing else to say except the sheer brilliance of KYK's acting as well as JKJ. Knowing how friendly and easygoing they are behind the scenes, I'd love to see how this change in tone was played out behind the camera...

I can see another episode or two of angst...well deserved angst BUT nothing that goes beyond next week aite. We need like TWO FULL EPISODES of fluff to compensate for the emotional roller coaster of the weirdest love triangle we've ever seen :lol:

And they need to release that OST playing in the bg when Dom was bawling his eyes out :heartbreak: Speaking of... that scene was heartbreaking to watch. Yes we have only been seeing GH's side of things - tbh I never really thought about the intensity of how invested he would be in their relationship and the amount of trust he has on the very few people in his life (and the fact that she knew this about him) so seeing him break down like that was to me, akin to a child realising he was being lied to this entire time.

Besides, I hope we get to see a more 'assertive' GH next week. Yes I know she's in the wrong from the get go, but I just want her to be able to explain her side of things. How she felt that she was being mistreated as a person, that she noticed how different he was with other women. (I mean Sec Lee was the main instigator here if you really thing about it...:ph34r:) Just let her speak HER truth (ironic) but still LET HER EXPLAIN. Then let Dom decide for himself whether he will forgiver her. Let him think about it from her perspective for a bit...when he's cooled down. 

*Honestly, I don't think he can last that long without her :wub: but let him be angry for a bit. Just not too long please. 

5 more days!!!

PS. The most sensuous hand-washing I've ever seen :flushed:

The story has more "she's the man" (amanda bynes, channing tatum) feel to it vs IANAR. Duke eventually forgave Viola and his reasoning was they wouldn't be able to get to know each other the same way if she didn't pretend to be a boy. He became more aware of his feelings because of fake Sebastian (Viola). It's somewhat similar to Min Ik. He became a nicer person to Gal Hee because of fake VP. He started to notice her more and appreciate all her hard work. 

Anyway, when will he be able to read her letter?! She slipped it in his coat pocket and I don't think he noticed it. Actually, I am not sure if it was the letter.

3 minutes ago, grake said:

Anyway, when will he be able to read her letter?! She slipped it in his coat pocket and I don't think he noticed it.

It was my mistake for recapping it as the letter. It is actually medicine for his allergic reaction to peanuts. I edited my recap. 

@turtlegirl Chingu, I don't care I gotta watch it to see how it turns out after all the spoilers. 

Also tomorrow is Angel's Last Mission, so I might as well live this week of all these painful drama scenes and hopefully have recovery episode next week. Lol. :lol:

I can't watch it on Sundays, because I won't be able to sleep and dying to know what's going to happen. So watching and waiting for the week to end for new episodes, I will eventually heal throughout the week. Lol. :lol:

I've been smiling ear to ear watching this hahahaah

So cute!

A playlist of all ENG Subbed BTS scenes from the drama - 

Would anyone know where to find subs for these VLOG videos posted by the leads? I wanna know what these cuties are saying :D

22 hours ago, kkddrraammaa said:

Would anyone know where to find subs for these VLOG videos posted by the leads? I wanna know what these cuties are saying :D

:P They're on Viki!!!!!!

They're under the Clips section on the right-hand corner!

(https://www.viki.com/tv/36570c-the-secret-life-of-my-secretary

Their banter is adorable :love:

I think next week will be filled with angst and more separation for our OTP, but Veronica Park will make it work out quickly for them. My only hope is that this isn't the type of drama that throws in a "one-year later.." separation period to show us that they grew off the camera or whatever. That would suck, I think. Also, I'm kinda happy everything came out finally, I just kinda wish he demoted her to a different department rather than firing her completely. Now everyone is gonna start questioning why she was suddenly fired since she was such a good secretary to him. 

41 minutes ago, reign84 said:

I hope Gal Hee's umbrella will come out and use as intrument to bring them back together.

Yes, indeed, i think the same too, the yellow umbrella will be a thing that will make them reconcile..

22 hours ago, thistle said:

And that is why this is Not fun or funny.  Lying hurts people unnecessarily.

My wish at this moment: 

Reveal hidden contents

kekeke... so would say "I agree"! :sweatingbullets: hahahahha...

can't remember the last time where I was thrilled that the male lead basically gives a verbal slap to the female lead and said in a cold, very resigned, disappointed tone "you are fired". :tounge_xd:... usually feel such glee with villains in daily dramas and so it is kind of a strange feel to have that for a female lead. laughing at myself! LOL. his heartbreak was sad because we can see how far she took advantage of him from his perspective -- basically she took advantage of a sick person and never thought about how it would hurt him. so yea, she deserves the verbal slap and more. too bad this isn't a melo @thistle because then your wish would come true. but it is a rom com and so all will be forgiven. whether we buy the change is another story.. so yes, lets have more angst and verbal slaps for gal hee before she gets her man.

mojo_jojo_large.gif?v=1527590515

8 hours ago, grake said:

The story has more "she's the man" (amanda bynes, channing tatum) feel to it vs IANAR. Duke eventually forgave Viola and his reasoning was they wouldn't be able to get to know each other the same way if she didn't pretend to be a boy. He became more aware of his feelings because of fake Sebastian (Viola). It's somewhat similar to Min Ik. He became a nicer person to Gal Hee because of fake VP. He started to notice her more and appreciate all her hard work. 

OMG! 

First, off-topic-ish, She's the Man is my all time favourite adaptation of a shakespeare play (Twelfth Night). and you are 100% right re IANAR. I guess I just didn't want Dom to end up in hospital and we spend the rest of the series with GH bending over backward to get back into his good books.

Your reasoning for the reunion makes so much sense. Simple and straight-forward. 

----

8 minutes ago, Lmangla said:

too bad this isn't a melo @thistle because then your wish would come true. but it is a rom com and so all will be forgiven. whether we buy the change is another story.. so yes, lets have more angst and verbal slaps for gal hee before she gets her man.

Ooof. Harsh. But to be fair I was fairly impressed by his standing firm and her realisation that she never once thought about it from his perspective. Good writing imo

I hope we don't get verbal slaps but a cold shoulder is more than called for... Maybe offering to make coffee for everyone but her? passive agressive but reasonable.

But I think we can probably agree that at least GH isn't a money focused, gold digger. So there is that!

---- 

Ok, watched with subs... I am glad I watched raw first to prep myself for the rollercoaster we had to experience. 

Firing her was the best thing he could do for both of them. and while it is probably grounds for wrongful termination, Dom was within his rights to put some serious distance between them.

I think he will continue 'not to recognise' GH (even if he knows it is her by the cast... bet she keeps it on longer so that he can recognise her) until the end... maybe even end of ep 15. 

VP to the rescue!

I hope GH will help with the DJ-Dom re-union since I think they are really the only ones who care enough for him to stop SecLee and her scheming. It would also be a nice bonding moment for them. While I don't like the whole 'let's save the rich guy so that he can become head of the company and have his ego enhanced more', the show hasn't really pushed us in that direction. Dom is spoiled and emotionally stunted but he is not a narcissist... which is really the only saving grace for his treatment of people who aren't of his class.

... Now we have to wait until monday... I'm not ready for that.

27 minutes ago, Lmangla said:

too bad this isn't a melo @thistle because then your wish would come true. but it is a rom com and so all will be forgiven. whether we buy the change is another story.. so yes, lets have more angst and verbal slaps for gal hee before she gets her man.

I know that somehow the writers will work it all out but I cannot imagine how they will be able to.  It's really a shame that this drama has made the FL into someone so low.  Her betrayal and deception of the ML is inexcusable.  

But I'm not sure I want to see a lot of verbal slaps--that would just be mean, and it would make the ML a low person, too.  I'd rather see her left alone and the ML should move on to someone better.  After all, the best revenge is to live a happy loving life while ignoring those who have caused hurt and harm.

30 minutes ago, thistle said:

I know that somehow the writers will work it all out but I cannot imagine how they will be able to.  It's really a shame that this drama has made the FL into someone so low.  Her betrayal and deception of the ML is inexcusable.  

But I'm not sure I want to see a lot of verbal slaps--that would just be mean, and it would make the ML a low person, too.  I'd rather see her left alone and the ML should move on to someone better.  After all, the best revenge is to live a happy loving life while ignoring those who have caused hurt and harm.

if it was a melo, we would get that ending -- where he moves on to someone else. since that is not possible, am going to cheer for LOTS of verbal slap. hahahahha....

59 minutes ago, tinymel said:

Ooof. Harsh. But to be fair I was fairly impressed by his standing firm and her realisation that she never once thought about it from his perspective. Good writing imo

I hope we don't get verbal slaps but a cold shoulder is more than called for... Maybe offering to make coffee for everyone but her? passive agressive but reasonable.

But I think we can probably agree that at least GH isn't a money focused, gold digger. So there is that!

actually a gold digger would be better because in dramaland, gold diggers have perfectly valid reasons for gold digging and deception -- physical threats, death threats from loan sharks, sick family members.... basically a reason where we can understand the motivation.

am simply not able to understand gal hee at all -- am going to be harsh but her sorry basically sounds like she is sorry that she got caught. a real sorry and apology requires some action, responsibility and acceptance. her -- nothing. if she had put down her papers, bowed low and accepted that her actions were low, then sure. instead, she mutters sorry and said she fixed him a doctor's appointment. did she think that he was going to look the other way? that her actions were acceptable and it wasn't a big deal?

it was just difficult to see someone who takes advantage of another person's health issues and vulnerabilities especially when that person is struggling with the diagnosis. thats what villains usually do. so was happy to see him fire her in rational manner. passive aggressive would be letting her off the hook easy. she deserves to get dumped and booted out of his life. however that won't happen as this is rom-com. so, I wish that gal hee would go through mountains of angst and verbal slaps.

Archived