[Drama 2019] My Country, 나의 나라

0ly40

7 hours ago, byof said:

Episode 13 is out for me (Netflix Australia) now, but it only has Traditional Chinese and Vietnamese subtitles.

Netflix is just intentionally trolling me at this point.

:skull: 

Edit: Hurray, Netflix screwed up forgot to put English subs. Took it down and put it back up again and now it has English subs.

13 is now available in the U.S. There are English subs.

I really hope this is a one-time blip!

• Like 1

It would be funny if Netflix intentionally screwed up airing ep 13 and 14 just to gauge viewers reactions, or lack of. :P

Again, another drama where the world is screwed up by the so-called elder generation.  If one is an elder, one should know better.  Hmmm, "older and wiser" doesn't always apply.  Guess  "the good die young" does apply because only the bad remain alive to screw up the world. :lol:

• Like 2

7 hours ago, lollyminx said:

Watching Episode 13. Since the army medic now proper doctor and Hwawol are happy, one of them is going to die right? Ugh. :bawling: 

Actually I was expecting one of the 3 friends of Hwi to die, maybe the army doctor or Officer Park?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, liltash85 said:

NO.... Don't kill Chi Do. I want Hwi to have a 'hyung' figure in his life. SOmeone who always looks after him.

Same. I don't want any of them to die to be honest but someone will for sure. I have a feeling Chido will die saving the young man who follows him around and wants to be a swordsman (if he's still alive that is, is he?). 

Watched 13 & 14 with English translation on Netflix - thank you so much NF for getting your act together!

Another couple of episodes with lots of intrigue and slashing and stabbing.

It was good to see Whi save Heejae.  But why do I feel their relationship is a little empty.  He is still all wrapped up with Bangwon and trying to save everybody, and she is more concerned with Ihrawu than Whi.  They are both carrying the weight of the world on their shoulders, but seem unable to share that weight with each other yet.  How I wish they were in a relationship like MoonBok and Hwahol!  They seem to have found happiness amongst all the turmoil.

So it looks like there will be another epic battle with much slashing and stabbing and flying blood splatter.  To tell you the truth, even though they are filmed well, I'm getting a little tired of all the sword play.  You know that any battle Whi or Seonho get in they will survive.  No matter how many enemies they must face, 20, 30, 40 or 50 of them - they will win, get a few more scars and still survive.

And now Seonho has stabbed Whi in that 'special spot' that heals instantly again!  Ho-hum....

I really do hope we get to see the "country of the abandoned" that Bangwon promises to Whi.  I really want to see Whi and Heejae happy together, along with Chi-do and Jungbum, MoonBok and Hwahol and also Seonho and Whi reach an impasse where they can forge their friendship again.  Is it too much to find some happiness for those people in this drama?  

• Like 1

This is what I believe. Nam Sun Ho has a massive INFERIORITY COMPLEX because of his social status or lack of it.

He hates Bang Won because BW grabbed his sense of false pride, threw it on the ground, stepped on it and ground it to dust. Taking more from his fragile ego, Bang Won told him he is not even worth killing because he is not a son of Nam Jeon.

1 hour ago, reddragon said:

This is what I believe. Nam Sun Ho has a massive INFERIORITY COMPLEX because of his social status or lack of it.

He hates Bang Won because BW grabbed his sense of false pride, threw it on the ground, stepped on it and ground it to dust. Taking more from his fragile ego, Bang Won told him he is not even worth killing because he is not a son of Nam Jeon.

Somehow but not really. He hates Bangwon even from the beginning as BW discriminates illegitimate children. Seon Ho doesn't want BW to become king as those people like him will surely suffer..

• Insightful 1

1 hour ago, reddragon said:

It is so sad to see Bang Won and Seon Ho would never get to be in a team because of this social status. For Bang Won he hates Illegetimate offsprings because his fatherr (the King) favours a concubine and his illegetimate sons more than his mother (the lawfully wedded wife) and his siblings (the legitimate sons). The favoritism makes that drives him to have an eternal monarch country. 

The king is the opposite to Nam Jeon. As for Nam Jeon he favors his legitimate son only but too bad the boy died young and he has to take Seon Ho in as that is the only offspring left for him. But we see he never treated Seon Ho like a son. This also the factors that drives Seon Ho to have a country where social birth status can be demolished. 

I felt the pain for both. They are different but yet they are very similar. Both of them strifes hard to be where he is today and hoping for the acknowledgement of their fathers. Seon Ho got it just before his father died. Bang Won has yet to received it (probably he wont as the king hated him so much now). It is not easy to be him where he always get to witness his father crowned the other sons to be CP right in front of his eyes. The more the king favoritized, the more it drives Bang Won to kill his own siblings (the king did not realized this or can I say he did not want to accept this). 

The relationship gets more complicated as Hwi is standing in between them. Both of them attaached to Hwi and somehow affectionate to him. Hwi has to choose who he wants to fight with even when he did not want to. Just happens Bang Won treated him better and through Bang Won he can get his revenge. 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Why do I have the feeling up Hee Jae gives up or at least put aside the hope of her future with Hwi in favor of Ihwaru's sake?

Back then, it was Hwi who avoided Hee Jae for the sake of saving his sister and then for revenge. For Hee Jae, Ihwaru is her home - her family. Love is not enough for these two to let go of the sense of responsibility they place on themselve.

Just when Hwi is finally at peace and ready for a new life, Hee Jae loses her family. I don't doubt that if things happen differently - meaning no consequence of blocking the King's path -  Hwi will ask Hee Jae's hand in marriage once he settles down. 

Hee Jae loves Hwi and has done everything she can for him but she has her family to take care of. When she puts her family members in danger in favor of Hwi and her revenge, she is ready to face the consequence, even if it means she can no longer be on Hwi's side. She didn't tell Hwi about her block move and I doubt Bangwon had time to tell him that - probably she doesn't want him to life a life or hiding or fighting for survival because of her anymore. 

The plus side of her being slashed is that Hwi realizes how he does not want to lose her and that is she is his family now - the one he must protect. But the downside is the survival guilt and pain Hee Jae has to endure. It's true that she destroys all contract and orders everyone to leave but they decided to come back on her own; still she puts them in danger from the start. The moment she asked Hwi to move over so that she could stand up and go back to Ihwaru even though it means death shows me that she values Ihwaru more than her happiness at that point. She couldn't stop Hwi when he went to Nam Jeon's house after Yeon died but Hwi could stop her from going back - she was too weak to do otherwise. We see how Hwi was when Yeon died. But because the extent of pain and guilt Hee Jae feels is not shown onscreen doesn't mean it is less than Hwi's.  The place she is sitting now in Ihwaru is where the massacre occured and I am sure she reminds herself everyday about this. Still, she has the support, strength and will to rebuild Ihwaru again - it takes a really strong-minded woman to do so.

So yes, I understand why she keeps things from Hwi - not letting him know her plan of revenge. That's her personal burden and debt.  Should she tell Hwi, he will do whatever he can to keep her safe but that may spoil her plan. The look in Hwi's eyes when Hee Jae says she will sit still and watch means a lot: that he knows she will not do like she says. After all these years and witnessing her tragedy firsthand, Hwi knows better. Hee Jae stakes her happiness in this game so I will not be surprised if she holds back from being with Hwi (as in consummating her relationship with him) for the last two years.  For me, it's not about how their relationship seems empty or not sincere enough, it's just how Hwi and Hee Jae are. Love is not everything and will never be the sole reason for these two to exist. Just like how Hwi can never live in peace with Hee Jae when Yeon's death is not avenged yet, Hee Jae will never be able to live in peace with him also until Ihwaru can rise again and avenge for her family. 

• Like 2

Hwi, the enemy who killed your father is there besides you all along...:tears:

He is the start of all tragedies in your life but don't let him be your end. Go away as far as you can like he says, stop working for others for whatever reasons and live your life with the remaining people who truly care about you. You still have Hee Jae, Seon Ho and other brothers. Seon Ho stops losing his way, so should you.

• Like 1