Quantcast
0ly40

[Drama 2019] My Country, 나의 나라

That relationship between Sunho and Yeon would be one beautiful

love story but everything is already destroyed.

I liked the way Sunho looked at her for a moment as he waited for her

to go to the market together.  

And then when he told her that she no longer needed to enter his room at night

it was as if he somehow wanted to protect her from himself.

Of course that doesnt even matter anymore.

• Like 1

@writteninthestars09- it was a beautiful and dramatic scene!  Like so many in this drama, both the director and the cinematographer have an eye for the artistic and dramatic.  Each shot tells a story that the action and script cannot.  Each shot is an embellishment of the plot, adding immensely to the storytelling.

Whi and his horsemen riding in the foggy darkness along the lake in slow motion - how about THAT shot?

Why does Bangwon save Seonho, though?  When they fight outside the gate, Bangwon only uses his sword to defend himself - he does not attack Seonho.  He waits until Seonho realizes he has been beaten (Chi-Do and his Black Snake squad come through again - how cool!) and then they both lower their swords.  Bangwon could have killed him - or tried to, but no. He lets him go inside the gate.

Does he save him because he knows Seonho is Whi's best friend?  Does he see how Whi still cares for Seonho - so there must be a good man still there to save? Or does Bangwon see something deeper in Seonho.  Does he see that Seonho is also one of the "abandoned" like himself and Whi?  When Seonho says that Bangwon will abandon Whi, so why is Bangwon better than Namjeon, Bangwon says he doesn't abandon his people.  You can see in Seonho's face he is surprised by this answer.  Is Bangwon hoping he can convert Seonho to his side and lead him to the new nation of the "abandoned" he wants to create?  Seonho's father, Namjeon is dead.  Hasn't the curse of being Namjeon's son been removed from Seonho just as much as Whi's curse against Namjeon for killing Yeon?

Only time will tell.....   

• Like 1

@r047

It’s so beautifully done I am immersed when watching at everything. Their performances, the cinematography and the director’s penchant for nuanced detail for each scene is brilliant.

@luvtokki

That was a beautifully written perspective. With some insightful questions. I like how you interpreted that fight scene between Bangwon and SeonHo. And that last past about Bangwon and protecting the abandoned. This was also what he said to his men before they started marching towards the Palace. 

@rocher22

It breaks my heart when I think about what could have been. Woo DoHwan gives an amazing performance every time. I can’t help but feel for what he is going through.

Remember Whi's speech to Bangwon -

"We were the advance troop dispatched to Liaodong.

We were abandoned after being used and trampled all over.

In my eyes - you are no different.

We dirtied our hands with blood for this country,

but that blood is only used to deride us.

That is your and our situation."

Bangwon, "So?"

"Your highness' country.

The country of the abandoned.

I wished to see it with you."

Bangwon, "The country of the abandoned?  You wish to see my kingdom?"

"That is correct!"

This was before Yeon's death and Whi's path of revenge.  There is some deeper meaning for him to help Bangwon.  But it was blinded temporarily by revenge.

Bangwon's speech after cutting the bridge -

"We were all born seperately and have been living seperate lives.

We all come from different social ranks,

and all of us are here for different reasons.

However, we were all abandoned.

Regardless of how it all began and how it will end.

You must survive!"

They are all the "abandoned".  Whi, Seonho, Heejae, Bangwon, Chi-do, Munbok, Jeungbum, Hwawol and the other ladies of Ilhrawu.  All abandoned by their country and their rulers because of their birth, their station in life.  They are all hoping Bangwon will give them a better country - one with consideration for the common man.  Will he deliver?

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

New BTS of ep 11-12

Official MV of OST part 3 "Bird"

Watching Sundays ep 11-12 review

• Like 2

"I want to see smiles, smiles of you guys and Hee Jae too"

For the first since like forever, Hwi comes to term with his loss and lets go of his pain. He is back to the Hwi we know in the beginning. I miss his gentle smile and loving look a lot. There is a soft quality in Hwi and Hee Jae's personality that match each other so well - they are both so caring and gentle towards the people they love.

For 12 episodes, we see Hwi fighting for his life and for Yeon. It's time he lets her go and be at peace with his life - he still has people he cares about after Yeon is gone. 

In about 10-11 years, Hwi and Hee Jae are separated more than they are together. They felt in love during a short summer when they were so young, naive, and innocent. After Hwi was drafted, they longed for each other but couldn't meet. Hwi avoided Hee Jae for 4 years, then they briefly united before Yeon's death. Hee Jae was there when Hwi was treated from poison but the venom never really goes away and he is out again on his revenge quest, leaving her waiting for 6 years - they only occasionally pass by each other. Time and time again, Hee Jae touches Hwi with her unchanging love. I am so looking forward to the days when Hwi devotes his time for her, even if they only have a short happy time together before hell breaks looses again. Not that Hee Jae is a damsel in distress but I want to see Hwi fights for her like how he fought for the country he lost.  Is it too much to ask, show?

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Prettysup said:

New stills for ep 13 tonight

Uh oh, Hee Jae is looking real distressed in that still. Writers, please. Don't touch the Hee Jaes. This shows already bleak and depressing enough :(.

Also, is it just me or is survey link not working?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Prettysup said:

New stills for ep 13 tonight

Oh no,  will something bad happen to Hee Jae? I notice some kind of wound or slash on her shoulder...

• Like 1

You've got to be kidding me, please don't tell me Hwi is losing someone else. Though it looks superficial and people have survived a sword piercing through and through.

• Like 1

Girl, how many times have you confessed to him already? Honestly the garden scene is quite...well...let's just say it's not how I thought it would be.

And the ending scene is truly anticlimax, given that we see Hee Jae alive and well in trailer for episode 14.

• Like 1

I noticed the scene where Hwi was smiling at Heejae in the preview for episode 13 was cut, or maybe put from a different angle. I loved his smile. 

Saw some clips from Ep 13, looks like Seon Ho is really really affected by his father's last words. Nam Jeon managed to poison his son's mind at the end. Seems like he is mad at Hwi for getting his revenge.