Quantcast
0ly40

[Drama 2019] My Country, 나의 나라

Some more interesting historical facts about Po-eun and his death:

Following a banquet held for him, Jeong Mong-ju (Poeun) was assassinated in 1392 by five men on the Sonjuk bridge in Gaeseong. Politically motivated, the murder was ordered by Yi Bang Won, the fifth son of Yi Seong gye who overthrew the Goryeo Dynasty in order to establish the Joseon Dynasty.

Jeong Mong-ju was murdered because he refused to betray his loyalty to the Goryeo Dynasty. Yi Bang-won recited a poem to dissuade Jeong Mong-ju from remaining loyal to the Goryeo court, but Jeong Mong-ju answered with another poem that affirmed his loyalty. Yi Seong-gye is said to have lamented Jeong Mong-ju's death and rebuked his son because Jeong Mong-ju was a highly regarded politician by the common people.

The bridge where Jeong Mong-ju was murdered, nowadays in North Korea, has now become a national monument of that country. A brown spot on one of the stones is said to be Jeong Mong-ju's bloodstain, and is said to become red whenever it rains. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 2
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, Prettysup said:

The bridge where Jeong Mong-ju was murdered, nowadays in North Korea, has now become a national monument of that country.

What a rich story. Learning this part of Korea's history must be a little complex as you'll see that Bang-won betrayed Poeun but at the same time if Bang-won didn't get to where he was, they wouldn't have Sejong the Great. 

Just checked a few minutes ago and the new episode isn't up on Netflix yet? Vagabond (which airs at the same time I think) is already updated but not My Country.

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, Prettysup said:

Some more interesting historical facts about Po-eun and his death:

Following a banquet held for him, Jeong Mong-ju (Poeun) was assassinated in 1392 by five men on the Sonjuk bridge in Gaeseong. Politically motivated, the murder was ordered by Yi Bang Won, the fifth son of Yi Seong gye who overthrew the Goryeo Dynasty in order to establish the Joseon Dynasty.

Jeong Mong-ju was murdered because he refused to betray his loyalty to the Goryeo Dynasty. Yi Bang-won recited a poem to dissuade Jeong Mong-ju from remaining loyal to the Goryeo court, but Jeong Mong-ju answered with another poem that affirmed his loyalty. Yi Seong-gye is said to have lamented Jeong Mong-ju's death and rebuked his son because Jeong Mong-ju was a highly regarded politician by the common people.

The bridge where Jeong Mong-ju was murdered, nowadays in North Korea, has now become a national monument of that country. A brown spot on one of the stones is said to be Jeong Mong-ju's bloodstain, and is said to become red whenever it rains. 

So here it is said that is known that YBW didn't do the murder himself but ordered it, while in the show they say he killed him with his own hands, and that is used as an excuse for hiring Hwi so YBW could order him to kill people, and not kill them himself... The reality kinda undermines that reasoning :)

I wish they would have filmed the actual murder-that would have made it more dramatic...

• Like 2

DAMN,this is immoral,to expect us to wait till Friday after that freaking cliffhanger!!!!

I'm quite sure that Hwi double plotted with Bang Won to cross Nam Jeon and go all out with the assassination as part of the show and out Nam Jeon in front of The King for trying to kill a royal and forcing him to loose his status,position and grace as his trusted man and so choosing Bang Won...Hwi clearly shot all of Bang Won's guards as well as Tae Ryong on their sholders or points that didn't kill them and Tae Ryong obviously for one of the greatest swordsmen of that time backed out with just one arrow...I think Hwi clearly expected Nam Jeon would try to get rid of Bang Won after the poster with the info is out in the air and he thinks Bang Won is the one who did it and has the secret letter so more than sure after Bang Won also knew about all Hwi backstory accepted Hwi's devised assassination plan getting rid of him as Nam Jeon wanted and making the King loose a man who would help him...So at that moment both Hwi and Bang Won choose each other no matter the ulterior reasons(Hwi keeping&saving Yeon and maybe his life and Bang Won his position and getting rid of a thorn weakening his father's position,warn the other high ups and a valuable possible new comrade) as they had more in common than against while Nam Jeon failed to see that he gave Hwi the perfect person to ally with and for all his big talk failed to read him,actually underestimating Hwi and that will ultimately be his downfall...Something that i hint Sun Ho could see...

My heart really ached for Jeom Beom's story,such a sad one and he is just one of many who suffered in that period...I actually expected and kinda wanted for Hae Jae to tell Hwi that his father saved her when she was small,it would have been an even greater emotional moment....Now,i love badass Hwi,that scene at the party when he went after Nam Jeon with that sword looked sooo freaking badass!!!!

• Like 10
  • Insightful 1

Hwi is becoming more and more unpredictable it's sooo awesome! And they left us with this cliffhanger, what a cliffhanger! How can I wait till next week :tears:

Rating is 4.9%, I'm trying not to think much of the rating since there are many things to consider, it's a cable channel, 11 is apparently late for Koreans (not for me lol), and people are watching through Netflix, so I hope it's not a big deal. It's popular on Naver and the actors keep on being among the hot searches it pleases me.

• Like 6

I’m happy to know the drama is popular on Naver. The time slot is quite late. I’m having trouble myself trying to stay awake to watch an hour after it is broadcast on Netflix. I’m enjoying this show too much. It just keeps getting better each week. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, r047 said:

Hwi is becoming more and more unpredictable it's sooo awesome! And they left us with this cliffhanger, what a cliffhanger! How can I wait till next week :tears:

Rating is 4.9%, I'm trying not to think much of the rating since there are many things to consider, it's a cable channel, 11 is apparently late for Koreans (not for me lol), and people are watching through Netflix, so I hope it's not a big deal. It's popular on Naver and the actors keep on being among the hot searches it pleases me.

It's actually good because it's equivalent rating like in the public channels is 9.8% just almost the same with vagabond.

• Like 3

‘My Country’ episode 8 top Knetz’s comments

1.    Jang Hyuk ability to digest the character left me breathless. The birth of the greatest Lee Bang-won ever. (+898 -8)

2.    My country Kim Young-cheol, Ahn Nae-sang, Jang Hyuk took the center stage. I think Woo Do-hwan and Yang Se-jong are also good at digesting characters.The beautiful Seolhyun who melts naturally in the passionate performance of the above actors. The characters and the background match well, ost is  good, overall the drama is very interesting. (+688 -19)

3.    Jang Hyuk charismatic blast ᅲᅲ (+383 -13)

4.    Jang Hyuk left me speechless (+285 -6)

5.    Charismatic Jang Hyuk~ (+185 -10)

6.    Jang Hyuk is an actor who was always admired for his acting, although I am not his fan, his performance here is really awesome. I am watching as a fan of Yang Se-jong, and in the scene where they act together, their powers and energies are different. (+158 -4)

7. That has to be self-orchestrated by Yi Bang-won right? Otherwise it wont make sense (+95 -0)

8. When Jang Hyuk appears, the immersion power is not joking !! (+91 -3)

9. I like Woo Doo-hwan so much, his eyes look so sad (+92 -9)

https://entertain.naver.com/ranking/read?oid=076&aid=0003487920

1.    At first, a lot of people said Jang Hyuk wasn't the main character, but I think the main character is the one who leads the story. As expected, it's Jang Hyuk. (+441 -9)

2.   This is Jang Hyuk's life work after 'Chuno'. In modern historical dramas, there are not many actors who are as focused and charismatic as Jang Hyuk. Kim Young-chul is also a good actor. Maybe I got attracted to 'My Country' by veteran actors like Jang Hyuk and Kim Young-chul, otherwise it will be Woo Do Hwan... .It would have been hard for Yang Se-jong alone to drive up the popularity of this drama. By the way, Jang Hyuk's acting really left me speechless...In Gyo-jin and Ahn Nae-sang are also good actors... (+401 -9)

3.    Jang Hyuk ~ You're good at acting, so charismatic ~ (+152 -2)

https://entertain.naver.com/ranking/read?oid=117&aid=0003293251

1. Best sense of immersion !! (+ 169 -1)

2. Camellia and My country are the best these days! I mean, if they both had a big ratings increase (+159 -4)

3. I love it when Jang Hyuk and Yang Se-jong come out. (+134 -2)

https://entertain.naver.com/ranking/read?oid=076&aid=0003487944

201910270759703364_1_20191027093137826.j

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

For those interested to know more about history during this period, here is a good summary of events. You need to press the right arrow keys to see more pages 

• Love 1
  • Thanks 6

On 10/26/2019 at 11:43 AM, Prettysup said:

Yang Se-jong, Woo Do-hwan, and Seolhyun get a glimpse of their drama for the first time! The cast also shares how they helped each other out, what it was like filming with veteran actors, and much more! (with English subs)

They are adorable and kind of shy. YSJ can't stand his own kissing scene.:lol:

I always stan ajjushis and ajjumas but it's nice to see 'kids'(actually of my age group) in a while. Who knows someone will become my next stanning material.:w00t:

So are we gtting reactions for upcoming episodes too?

Recap for episode 7

https://kjtamusings.wordpress.com/2019/10/27/my-country-the-new-age-epi

Recap for episode 5 on dramabeans 

http://www.dramabeans.com/2019/10/my-country-the-new-age-epis

• Like 2

@Prettysup thanks for sharing all info about Korean history. It’s helpful for those not so familiar with it. Especially since the drama is fast paced and go through the historical events that may be confusing. Such turbulent times for our main characters to be in. I can understand why this part of history can be fascinating and told and retold countless times in many dramas. And thankfully all the cast of My Country are doing a really good job of portraying their roles. 

@fiesty8001

I hope we can see more of them in videos like this. I can’t help but turn into a fan of Yang SeJong and I’m really impressed with his performance in this drama. 

• Like 2

I'm really loving this dark, black version of Hwi. This transformation from an innocent, surrounded by colors, kites, and lights Hwi, to the one setting the date for Bangwon, the one who might be leading the game in the next episodes, he's already setting plans and things are getting out of the control of the Nams. 

Was he imagining the last scene? Did he actually shot him and aimed it superficial, to create a scene and fool Namjeon? I think he realized that Bangwon is the only one who can help him return his sister and decided to team up with him. Still, is there a chance he might kill him? Perhaps in the end? Why not! There's always room for a twist. 

I like how whenever there's a scene of Hwi and Bangwon together, it brings us the best of both! 

• Like 2

BangWon and Hwi have a great chemistry. They are both excellent actors. I like both of them in the same team.

I’m so curious to know how they pulled off that last few scenes of Hwi attacking BangWon. It was a ploy to fool NamJeon and to discredit him in front of the King and the ministers. And yet it looked so real. In the trailer we see NamJeon’s surprised look at the Royal Court. But we also know he is still alive as we see in the first episode. So it means the King did not execute him. I think a lot of things are still about to happen in between. It’s suspenseful and thrilling isn’t it? Even though we know from history which one will prevail. I am still engrossed in how the story is written here. 

• Like 2

I'm only watching Episode 8 now.

• You know what's confusing to me sometimes are the multiple names they assign to some characters :lol: You need a character cheat sheet whenever you watch this series. 
  • Does Bang-won know that Hwi is Seo-gum's son? I've been waiting for this to happen since I don't know, maybe Bang-won will come to respect Hwi even more if he knew.
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, lollyminx said:

• You know what's confusing to me sometimes are the multiple names they assign to some characters :lol: You need a character cheat sheet whenever you watch this series. 

Lol same here

• LOL 1

Hwi appears to be making great strides, and Sunho is simply

standing still.

Sunho makes those plans but they dont come true.  

Hwi looks powerful even as he obeys Sunho's orders.

And he will be even more powerful because he will have the information

HJ gathers.

And most importantly,  Hwi is on the winner's side.

• Like 1

sure this drama is one of hottest going or airing ones .. not sure about the rating but I plan to start it soon .. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, lollyminx said:

• Does Bang-won know that Hwi is Seo-gum's son? I've been waiting for this to happen since I don't know, maybe Bang-won will come to respect Hwi even more if he knew.

I only know Bang Won is aka Prince Jeongan, his title. Who else has multiple names ?

And I think BW already knew Hwi is SG’s son. He did a background check on him, no way he won’t know that by now. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Prettysup said:

I only know Bang Won is aka Prince Jeongan, his title. Who else has multiple names ?

I think it was his other brothers, or the Crown Prince who was called another name. It took me a few seconds to connect those names. 

3 hours ago, Prettysup said:

And I think BW already knew Hwi is SG’s son. He did a background check on him, no way he won’t know that by now. 

I see. I was just wondering because in their conversation, Bang-won still had to ask Hwi why he's planning to take down Nam-jeon. I thought Bang-won would assume that it's because Nam-jeon betrayed Hwi's father and that would be Hwi's motivation to target Nam-jeon. So it seems like Bang-won still doesn't know that Seo-gum is Hwi's father? Also, Hwi doesn't know that it was Nam-jeon who betrayed Seo-gum right? He only knows about the letter but not the fact that it was Nam-jeon who did something to get Seo-gum executed? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lollyminx said:

I think it was his other brothers, or the Crown Prince who was called another name. It took me a few seconds to connect those names. 

I see. I was just wondering because in their conversation, Bang-won still had to ask Hwi why he's planning to take down Nam-jeon. I thought Bang-won would assume that it's because Nam-jeon betrayed Hwi's father and that would be Hwi's motivation to target Nam-jeon. So it seems like Bang-won still doesn't know that Seo-gum is Hwi's father? Also, Hwi doesn't know that it was Nam-jeon who betrayed Seo-gum right? He only knows about the letter but not the fact that it was Nam-jeon who did something to get Seo-gum executed? 

It was not known to everyone that NJ betrayed Hwi’s father. When BW was threatening NJ about it earlier, he was whispering to him. So it makes sense for BW to still doubt Hwi even if he knows who is his father. But if coz I could be wrong, just my guess at this point of time. 

Btw new HD pics for ep 7-8 are out, link for more pics http://tv.jtbc.joins.com/photo/pr10011100/pm10054832

20191028_170329_8999.jpg

Spoiler

20191028_175514_0106.jpg

20191028_170554_8990.jpg

20191028_175657_8888.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1