[Drama 2019] My Country, 나의 나라

0ly40

This is going to be long, bear with me, I've got to get this off my chest.....and share it!

Even though there are many remarkable scenes in this drama there are 5 that stand out in my memory and make me go back and re-watch them again and again.

The first is in Ihwaru the kisaeng house when Seo Whi and Hee Jae are hiding from the capitol police lieutenant.  They are both changing into different clothes, and Seo Whi is seeing Hee Jae changing from a “young man” into a beautiful woman for the first time.  As she undresses, he sees her delicate back and shoulders through a thin, silk blouse. In filmy slow motion she puts on a dress, and his mouth opens in wonder and surprise and he drops his gaze.  Her long, luxurious hair falls down and he peeks at her again under the brim of his hat and she turns to look at him, the transformation complete – she is a beautiful young woman – and he can’t even look at her.  This scene just captivated me (along with the silky, oriental background music) and the way it was filmed was both sensuous and dangerous at the same time.  What a beautiful way to introduce Seolhyun’s/Hee Jae’s beauty at a moment of extreme tension.  Classic!   Sun Ho’s subsequent dressing down of the arrogant lieutenant was pretty awesome, also!

Second, the first kiss scene.  Who didn’t feel their heart leap?  Two young people discovering love for the first time without a clue how to handle what they feel for each other?  One tentative kiss, then a second that was soft and gentle.  Gawsh!  Seolhyun’s eyes were luminous, captivating.

Third is the big battle scene.  Most of you probably don't like war and the chaos of battle, but for me, a man, a good historical drama needs believeable battle scenes and slashing, singing swords with a proper amount of blood splatter and gore!  This battle scene does it for me.  Especially The scene that starts where Seo Whi is standing alone, in shock, in disbelief of the carnage going on around him.  He is in the pit of despair and ready to die.  Then he turns to see the lieutenant running toward him with sword drawn.  He probably thinks the lieutenant is going to kill him, but instead the lieutenant slashes an enemy with his sword, slaps Seo Whi across the face and shouts, “Snap out of it!  Take this bow. Shoot them!”  Seo Whi nods dumbly, grabs the bow and follows the lieutenant into battle.   The next sequence is probably one of the most powerful battle scenes I’ve ever watched.  My honest appreciation and awe to the director and cinematographer who shot it.  Filmed with a shaky, hand-held portable camera it places you right there with Seo Whi and the lieutenant as they fight together to survive.  Arrows fly, swords clash, men scream and die. This is a turning point where Seo Whi stops being just a poor hunter and becomes the warrior he has hidden inside and trained for all his life. He decides to fight for his life!  If you watch closely, his future 2 best buddies Jeong-beom and Moon-bok are also introduced as men fighting alongside him.  This film sequence showed the chaos, confusion, the waste, the horror and the hell of the war Seo Whi had to endure.  But it also shows his change from a poor hunter/blacksmith into the warrior he had inside him since birth.  It showed him decide to fight for his life to get back to his sister and Hee Jae.  A battle scene like this in a movie has to be choreographed like a complicated dance, with many moving parts and split-second timing.  I am impressed by the work and skill of the production company and the actors involved to pull this off.  It probably took weeks just to film a few minutes on the screen, but the impact was enormous.

Fourth – after a long time Seo Whi and Hee Jae meet again.  She sees him assassinate the general.  She realizes he has survived, but he turns her away.  This meeting was seriously emotional, especially when she says, “When I fell asleep for a moment I saw you, I stayed up all night because I missed you.  I wanted to close my eyes again so I could see you, but you  were just a dream.  This isn’t a dream, right?”

Awwww!  Then after he cruelly tells her he never thought about her, she thanks him - for staying alive!

Ugh, this girl.  She’s too perfect.   

But then she is sitting next to Hwa Wol’s bed.  Hwa Wol asks  about her meeting with Seo Whi.  Hee Jae says, tears falling,”I felt as if hell was engraved all over Hwi’s body.  I felt like I could hear each of his scars screaming. It broke my heart.  His sad eyes broke my heart more – than all the cruel words he said.  They pierced my heart like sharp blades.  I have no power.  I should not have  stepped in.  I shouldn’t have let him go like that!” And then she breaks down crying with sobs of grief.  If this scene didn’t tear at your heart strings – you have no feelings!     

Fifth – Hee Jae sneeks out to Seo Whi’s hideout.  After he tells her to leave and threatens to shoot her with his bow and she sees the silk ribbon attached to his bow, old, burned, worn out.  “You said you forgot it all.  You said it’s meaningless.” Then she runs to grab hold of him from behind.  Tearfully she says, “I will protect you from now on.  I’ll never lose you again."  Seo Whi says,”The world you live in, I’ll have to die to get there”.  She says, “Forget the girl who used to put up the posters.  In front of Bang Won we’re complete strangers.  And I won’t step in without your permission.  Then I’ll go to where you are.  No one will find out.”   She has a plan to save them both.  She has the power to save them both.  And she is NOT giving up on THEM! 

All in all, I am caught up in this drama.  It is magnificent.  I hope this journey ends well for us all!

• Like 7
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 1

37 minutes ago, luvtokki said:

This is going to be long, bear with me, I've got to get this off my chest.....and share it!

Even though there are many remarkable scenes in this drama there are 5 that stand out in my memory and make me go back and re-watch them again and again.

The first is in Ihwaru the kisaeng house when Seo Whi and Hee Jae are hiding from the capitol police lieutenant.  They are both changing into different clothes, and Seo Whi is seeing Hee Jae changing from a “young man” into a beautiful woman for the first time.  As she undresses, he sees her delicate back and shoulders through a thin, silk blouse. In filmy slow motion she puts on a dress, and his mouth opens in wonder and surprise and he drops his gaze.  Her long, luxurious hair falls down and he peeks at her again under the brim of his hat and she turns to look at him, the transformation complete – she is a beautiful young woman – and he can’t even look at her.  This scene just captivated me (along with the silky, oriental background music) and the way it was filmed was both sensuous and dangerous at the same time.  What a beautiful way to introduce Seolhyun’s/Hee Jae’s beauty at a moment of extreme tension.  Classic!   Sun Ho’s subsequent dressing down of the arrogant lieutenant was pretty awesome, also!

I do think that Seo Hwi was mesmerised by Hee Jae when realizing she is a girl - a beautiful and strong-minded girl. The way he doesn't even dare to look at her in the eyes but can't help glancing over to see her transformation means a lot  -  as a man, he just can't help it.  I like the way Hee Jae turns around and looks back at Hwi with confidence - it is not a scene that Hwi can ever forget. It is probably too soon to say Hwi is a goner at that moment but it is initial attraction that is even more subtle and meaningful than when Sun Ho was open-mouthed upon realizing Hee Jae was a girl in disguise.

It is a really well-shot scene

• Like 5

Guys, I love the opening music of this drama, and the one played when Hwi's friend march on the prince's palace (latest episode). I think I heard it somewhere, but I cannot pinpoint where. Do you know the title of the song?

• Like 3

On 10/22/2019 at 6:05 PM, ironB said:

Guys, I love the opening music of this drama, and the one played when Hwi's friend march on the prince's palace (latest episode). I think I heard it somewhere, but I cannot pinpoint where. Do you know the title of the song?

I think it's a version of this 

• Like 3

Such a beautiful scene between Hwi and HJ as they stood next to that tree.

Hwi is warrior and cannot express everything he feels.

HJ knows this, but she doesnt expect anything from him.

She is the one who will always be by his side.

I like that Hwi knows that now.

• Like 6

On 10/21/2019 at 7:30 PM, Prettysup said:

Yeah Chinese palace dramas always have concubines plotting to kill each others' sons, so it is hard for a young boy to survive in the palace. Some tried to cause miscarriages , some tried to swop newborn boys with girls etc.

I've 'seen' a few and all of them had plotting and jealous women. I fear such events might not have been far from the reality of that era. 

Now I remember last year Chinese broadcasting authority banned historical dramas which(according to them) promote 'bad values' and 'extravagance'.:yum:

Although I agree that producers should not be too greedy and should refrain from investing in movies/dramas which are harmful for cultural heritage of the country.

• LOL 2

Wow

There we have a kiss, even on the forehead 

http://m.news1.kr/articles/?3753139&100

The way they confess their feeling to each other is really sad. How come I have a hunch of a sad ending +_+: "I miss all the color on the day we first met. Miss the wind on the good old day. Miss the rain on the day I left. I remember all of them. I miss you"  (something like that)

So Hwi did see Hee Jae running to see him with the dock, crying in the rain. No wonder why he can't forget her all these years and her bandage is so precious to him.

They hug in tomorrow's episode, according to the preview. I hope Hwi stops turning away from Hee Jae, at last.

• Like 5

Another great episode. I liked the first scene where Hwi stood in front of Sunho and told him bravely he does not need his help to survive. Again as I expressed before, I think Sunho and his father's plan of Hwi killing Bangwon might be reversed.

I loved the scene where Hwi lent on the wall and was being sarcastic :lol: His character is getting even better and better. 

One of my favorite scenes for sure was Hwi and Heejae's. Their words were beautiful. You don't usually get such deep love. They haven't met a lot before parting ways, but those brief moments were enough, it's more like love at first sight, yet solid enough to grow stronger despite all the years and the difficulties ahead of them. Beautiful love. Seolhyun is doing a great job here, not to forget that. 

So Hwi and Bangwon finally team up, I'm already excited! :w00t: I think their bromance will outweigh that of Hwi and Sunho's lol.

Finally, I was hoping Yeon will remember everything and at least something will light up in Hwi's life, I was turned down. And please allow me to speak of YSJ's eye acting, specially those scenes related to Yeon. His eyes are so deep, be it the happiness whenever he gets a glimpse of her, or his sadness and fear that she might get hurt.

Looking forward to episode 8. Time is running so fast, it still feels like the drama started yesterday, and this is how good things usually are!

• Like 5