[Drama 2019] My Country, 나의 나라

0ly40

1 hour ago, fiesty8001 said:

Seems like they did. It can explain abrupt cuts and inconsistencies in the storyline. 

Hmm, I wonder if the episode number was cut after the previous drama, Be Melodramatic, was pushed back a month. Though given the extra long episodes I would think they could have avoided some of the abrupt cuts and inconsistencies. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, qynn said:

Hmm, I wonder if the episode number was cut after the previous drama, Be Melodramatic, was pushed back a month. Though given the extra long episodes I would think they could have avoided some of the abrupt cuts and inconsistencies. 

seems like they are still shooting the drama, maybe the director does not have time to edit it smoothly. 

also note that it has been over 8 months since they started filming it 

• Like 3

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR3iC1Xr0uzEDUJMIPYXbiimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ2FYkgGhxqh3opZhnKpTQ

I'm kind of glad that I don't know all the historical facts or meanings but appreciate that others do.  Yet in my not knowing I am allowed to just see and feel the drama as is and therefore my expectations are not about comparing but rather in just soaking up each moment as it comes along.  I love the actors and characters they are working so hard to bring to life in building this story...

These latest episodes were heartbreaking, courageous and even the long awaited reunion between Hwi & HJ seemed over shadowed by a cruel promise made.  That Hwi would not be her friend or lover giving his word that all the while broke my heart in wondering what more must he sacrifice, suffer and surrender. Every lie he spoke to HJ seemed to cut him deeper and deeper for turning away in tears doesn't  cover up or make his words true.  For how can he deny those very thoughts of her that had kept him alive and hopeful... 

I honestly am impressed by Seolhyun's acting as HJ there is a softness about her even in her tears and yet there is courage and strength that she is able to draw from within herself.  Is able to express it when needed and she proved it in these latest episodes  when facing BW I could feel her being a force to be reckoned with and so could BW...

My favorite moment was when HJ saw Hwi's bow and what was tied there upon it.  Everything he said and everything he had done seemed to go silent. For no words were needed in that stillness her eyes were focused on that one thing alone. 

That gave her heart all the answers she needed...

:heart:

• Like 9
  • Awesome 1

I like Hwi and the bromance among his companions.  They're funny too, and look out for each other.  With all the bad things that happened to Hwi,  I am glad they are there.  Same with Hui Jae. She really loves Hwi.  It's good that she thought of acting as strangers in front of Bangwon and continue working behind the scenes.

This series (and some others) reminds me of this quote from Lord of the Rings: “I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”

Btw who is Park Chi Do?  In a previous ep, Hwi saw his tattoo and seemed to recall something.  Was Park someone that Hwi's father knows?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, cherriesblue said:

Btw who is Park Chi Do?  In a previous ep, Hwi saw his tattoo and seemed to recall something.  Was Park someone that Hwi's father knows?

This is Park Chi-do, and he used to be under Hwi's father when the latter was a general in YSG's army, known as the Northern Punitive Force

My_Country-Ji_Seung-Hyun.jpg

• Like 3

Btw just a bit of background history about Yi Bang-won:

The child whom we saw him patting to sleep in ep 6 was his daughter. In 1392, he had 2 daughters. By right, he should also have 3 other sons at this time but all were reported to have died young. I suspect they were killed by his political rivals (maybe someone from the current Queen's side?). It was only later that his subsequent sons managed to survive.

20191018_150927_8509.jpg

• Like 7
  • Insightful 4

42 minutes ago, Prettysup said:

I suspect they were killed by his political rivals (maybe someone from the current Queen's side?). It was only later that his subsequent sons managed to survive.

Child mortality rate in that time period was very high. Only 50% children manged to reach adulthood while nearly 25% women died during childbirth. Each women had to birth atleast 6 children to keep the population intact. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fiesty8001 said:

Child mortality rate in that time period was very high. Only 50% children manged to reach adulthood while nearly 25% women died during childbirth. Each women had to birth atleast 6 children to keep the population intact. 

Nah but his first 2 daughters survived yet his next 3 sons all died one after the other? Too much of a coincidence here. Maybe I watched too much palace dramas, but that's what I think haha.

----------------------------------------------

Moral of the story - don't fool with YBW the future king hahaha

EHUNeh8UcAEAin3?format=jpg&name=large

Spoiler

EHUNfKNU8AAGsEg?format=jpg&name=large

EHUNfrHVUAAboO2?format=jpg&name=large

EHUNgHHU8AA8E_S?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 6

51 minutes ago, Prettysup said:

Nah but his first 2 daughters survived yet his next 3 sons all died one after the other? Too much of a coincidence here. Maybe I watched too much palace dramas, but that's what I think haha.

My great-grandmother lost 4 sons in row while her two daughters survived. Later she also had more children(both girl and boy). Too much coincidence here?:wacko:

I don't think conspiracy angle would be valid in the situation of LBW. 

Did you watch Chinese palace dramas? 

28 minutes ago, Prettysup said:

Moral of the story - don't fool with YBW the future king hahaha

So do you think murderer of his kids would remain intact under his gaze?

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, fiesty8001 said:

My great-grandmother lost 4 sons in row while her two daughters survived. Later she also had more children(both girl and boy). Too much coincidence here?:wacko:

I don't think conspiracy angle would be valid in the situation of LBW. 

Did you watch Chinese palace dramas? 

So do you think murderer of his kids would remain intact under his gaze?

Yeah Chinese palace dramas always have concubines plotting to kill each others' sons, so it is hard for a young boy to survive in the palace. Some tried to cause miscarriages , some tried to swop newborn boys with girls etc.

Nah my 2 above posts were unrelated, but a mod merged them together.

• Like 4

I was curious about the bandage Hee Jae gave Hwi so I re-watched episode 1 again. A brief glimpse but I believe I can still see the worn out bandage tied around Hwi's bow. So for ten years, that worn out piece stays with Hwi as a symbol of him loving Hee Jae.

I should be glad knowing that. But I am scared.His three brothers are still there with him but I am scared of what might happen with Hee Jae because Hwi goes into the fight with Seon Ho like he has nothing to lose anymore, nothing to hold on to.  Lady Seo warned Hee Jae about consequences when she stepped in because of Hwi. I just hope she can be safe and stay by Hwi's side.

But the Hwi I see in episode 1 is very different. A hardened, experienced warrior - not the gentle Hwi anymore. Up to episode 6, I still see gentle traits in him despite of all the hardship in his life. So I am curious but also terrified of what happens that makes him the warrior who led the attack in the film opening. The death of his sister - or Hee Jae also?

A wishful thinking, I know, but I just hope Hwi can walk away from all political plots with the woman who is willing to give up everything for him. As for Yeon, my hunch is that she won''t survive by sacrificing herself for Seon Ho.

Edited by melp
  • Like 8

7 hours ago, melp said:

I was curious about the bandage Hee Jae gave Hwi so I re-watched episode 1 again. A brief glimpse but I believe I can still see the worn out bandage tied around Hwi's bow. So for ten years, that worn out piece stays with Hwi as a symbol of him loving Hee Jae.

I should be glad knowing that. But I am scared.His three brothers are still there with him but I am scared of what might happen with Hee Jae because Hwi goes into the fight with Seon Ho like he has nothing to lose anymore, nothing to hold on to.  Lady Seo warned Hee Jae about consequences when she stepped in because of Hwi. I just hope she can be safe and stay by Hwi's side.

But the Hwi I see in episode 1 is very different. A hardened, experienced warrior - not the gentle Hwi anymore. Up to episode 6, I still see gentle traits in him despite of all the hardship in his life. So I am curious but also terrified of what happens that makes him the warrior who led the attack in the film opening. The death of his sister - or Hee Jae also?

A wishful thinking, I know, but I just hope Hwi can walk away from all political plots with the woman who is willing to give up everything for him. As for Yeon, my hunch is that she won''t survive by sacrificing herself for Seon Ho.

And that's exactly how his character was described "his life devolves into a hellish existence, but he still holds a smile." Indeed there is much character change, from someone who is not really ambitious, would be satisfied if he gets enough rice, and views his country as anywhere with enough food. Someone who is not looking forward to more than fulfilling the daily necessities of life. To someone who is going against his will, killing, sacrificing everything. And I believe there's more to come to his character, a twist maybe. 

For me, I don't think Heejae will die, at least not until the last episode, as she is the main female lead. I'm afraid Yeon is the one who's dying which will be the transformation point for Hwi, who might team with Bang won, instead of the initial plan of killing him. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

It's a bit disappointing to hear that this series was planned for 20 episodes, but has been cut down to 16. I feel like an extra 4 episodes would of greatly benefited the pacing issues.

An extra 4 episodes potentially would've given us: an extended arc of Hwi at Liaodong, Yi Seong-gye's coup and fleshing out of our trio's initial relationship dynamics--all which were glossed after and I feel like it would've been valuable as a foundation of the story. That would be my dream shopping list for this show, anyway.

And oh boy, Hwi has been just taking it, left right, and center since he's gotten back. "Hell was engraved all over Hwi's body". I'm all for a tragic protagonist, but sadly it all feels a bit contrived. I've echoed this before we're just missing the proper build up for his character to be at the point he is now. Yes, he got sent to war. Yes, Nam Jeon is threatening him with his sister. Yes, his sister also happened to get amnesia... However, all this happened in a span of one episode and a bit and it really needed some more time. Undoubtedly, Hwi's characterization suffered the most with the pacing.

All the criticisms aside, this series is actually the one I'm most excited about every week lol. The soundtracks a banger, the sets, the cinematography remain to be beautiful. All our main leads are equally likable and compelling. Seun-ho, high-born, but an illegitimate child with clear family issues, thirsty for power to be able to stand up for himself. Hwi, low-born, who just wants to live a peaceful normal life but is forced to take action, as him and his family has been getting politically hand-balled around. Hee Jae, resident political activist, raised in a kisaeng house (yet not a kisaeng) seeking reasons to why her family was persecuted, and also wanting power to be able to do more. It's compelling to see these characters, on different sides of the board, navigating in this heated political climate.

Personally, I'm all for team Hee Jae. She's intelligent, observant, has clear goals and gets things done, not afraid to throw some sick burns at Bang Won, but she's not without flaws. She has her moments of hubris she got burnt for it. She owns up to it to Seol too. All the boys be out for her too (well Seun-ho anyway), but she's LOYAL. I would've like to see an extended journey of her becoming the Queen's trusted subject, but it was not to be. I'm definitely interested to see how things play out with Hwi's inevitable allegiance with Bang Won, when she's sworn her loyalty with the Queen.

I really did wish this series was proper sageuk length. Even an additional 6 episodes to flesh out events that happened from Episode 2 until now and it would be happy days.

Edited by byof
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, byof said:

It's a bit disappointing to hear that this series was planned for 20 episodes, but has been cut down to 16. I feel like an extra 4 episodes would of greatly benefited the pacing issues.

An extra 4 episodes potentially would've given us: an extended arc of Hwi at Liaodong, Yi Seong-gye's coup and fleshing out of our trio's initial relationship dynamics--all which were glossed after and I feel like it would've been valuable as a foundation of the story. That would be my dream shopping list for this show, anyway.

And oh boy, Hwi has been just taking it, left right, and center since he's gotten back. "Hell was engraved all over Hwi's body". I'm all for a tragic protagonist, but sadly it all feels a bit contrived. I've echoed this before we're just missing the proper build up for his character to be at the point he is now. Yes, he got sent to war. Yes, Nam Jeon is threatening him with his sister. Yes, his sister also happened to get amnesia... However, all this happened in a span of one episode and a bit and it really needed some more time. Undoubtedly, Hwi's characterization suffered the most with the pacing.

All the criticisms aside, this series is actually the one I'm most excited about every week lol. The soundtracks a banger, the sets, the cinematography remain to be beautiful. All our main leads are equally likable and compelling. Seun-ho, high-born, but an illegitimate child with clear family issues, thirsty for power to be able to stand up for himself. Hwi, low-born, who just wants to live a peaceful normal life but is forced to take action, as him and his family has been getting politically hand-balled around. Hee Jae, resident political activist, raised in a kisaeng house (yet not a kisaeng) seeking reasons to why her family was persecuted, and also wanting power to be able to do more. It's compelling to see these characters, on different sides of the board, navigating in this heated political climate.

Personally, I'm all for team Hee Jae. She's intelligent, observant, has clear goals and gets things done, not afraid to throw some sick burns at Bang Won, but she's not without flaws. She has her moments of hubris she got burnt for it. She owns up to it to Seol too. All the boys be out for her too (well Seun-ho anyway), but she's LOYAL. I would've like to see an extended journey of her becoming the Queen's trusted subject, but it was not to be. I'm definitely interested to see how things play out with Hwi's inevitable allegiance with Bang Won, when she's sworn her loyalty with the Queen.

I really did wish this series was proper sageuk length. Even an additional 6 episodes to flesh out events that happened from Episode 2 until now and it would be happy days.

I also wish to see a proper journey but I guess we will have to make do of what we have, unfortunately.

Hee Jae is my favorite character in this drama so far too. She is a not a typical damsel in distress; she speaks her mind and takes action rather than saying empty words. She wants justice and equality. What I like more about her is when she tells Hwi she will go to his world, meaning she will fight for their relationship and be with him even if it means she has to give up the seemingly comfortable life she is having now.  With Hwi, she is so caring, gentle and understanding; she has not given up on the hope that he is still alive even though he is listed as dead.

She is not a character without flaws; there are times when she can make hasty decisions, be overconfident, naive  or make wrong judgment. But overall, she has a strong personality and good nature. 

• Like 5