[Drama 2019] My Country, 나의 나라

0ly40

10 hours ago, byof said:

I think the story definitely suffers from being bound by historical events, skipping through history a bit too quickly and thus withholding a great deal of valuable context. Essentially we got cliff notes from episode 3 to 5, where, really, a great deal of things happened: Invasion of Liaodong. Coup. Beginnings of friction between Bang Won and Yi Seong-gye and co.

The real meat of of the war and the coupe wasn't really shown to us, so it feels like our characters we knew from first two episodes took a massive leap through time, through these historical events--and the end result is a bit disorientating. Hwi's characterization is the biggest victim of this. Bang Won's contribution to overthrowing the previous rule, feelings of betrayal lacked exposition. Hee Jai's journey in becoming the Queen's most trusted subject... Personally, I think Seon Ho's character arc actually felt the most coherent to me out of them all.

As of now, the first two episodes still remain to be my favourite episodes. I think the series really did start strong in establishing our three fictional main characters of different backgrounds and viewpoints of what 'their country' should be, and the premise of showing their journey during the transitional period between Goreyon and Joseon was really compelling, but you can't fit that in 16 episodes. So, instead we're getting snapshots of these characters throughout these historical events.

That being said I still thoroughly enjoy it for what it is. I do agree with you that the character development does leave a lot to be desired, and there's also times where I feel like things have happened off-screen and I wasn't told about it lol, but overall I still do think all our characters are surprisingly charismatic and I don't find it hard getting invested in them.

The cinematography, the set, the acting, the soundtrack are definitely the stronger aspects of the series and the overall packaging and presentation is quite stellar imo. But yeah, what can ya do if the character development and writing is becoming a deal breaker for you.

All the issues you've described are essentially why I dropped it as character development and writing are definitely deal breakers - shame it didn't change much in that aspect as the production quality was pretty amazing and I do like two of the actors in it, It is on Netflix so will maybe try and finish it some point in the future. Cheers for the detailed reponse.

• Like 1

I only copied parts relevant to 'My Country' here, for full article pls refer to link at the bottom.

Jang Hyuk as Lee Bang-won from "My Country: The New Age"

Actor Jang Hyuk is rewriting his resume with the jTBC drama "My Country: The New Age", which is his next best sageuk drama since "The Slave Hunters".

- Even his eyes put on a performance in "My Country: The New Age "

Jang Hyuk plays Lee Bang-won in "My Country: The New Age", which began on the 4th of October. This is the second time he's playing Lee Bang-won since the 2015 movie "Empire of Lust". Lee Bang-won has been brought up in numerous works through various actors, but it must not have been easy for one actor to play one character twice in a relatively short amount of time. It was only possible because Jang Hyuk isn't picky when it comes to genre and only worries about the character he's going to play. In addition, Jang Hyuk is ever-changing.

The Lee Bang-won that Jang Hyuk plays is an individual who has the head of a fox and the body of a tiger and was known as the best strategist who laid the foundation for the Joseon Dynasty. He put a lot of effort in establishing the Joseon Dynasty, but wasn't acknowledged for it, and became the bad guy himself to survive.

Jang Hyuk has been proving his value, from sageuk to action. Through his agency he said, "In the movie, I focused on one element of Lee Bang-won, but in "My Country: The New Age", I tried to play the role of a reformed monarch who wanted to build a country of people who were abandoned, rather than seek his ambitions, and to express in depth the humanity of Lee Bang-won".

Sidus HQ told TV Report, "Jang Hyuk makes a lot of preparations for his characters. He thought hard about the person Lee Bang-won prior to the drama. It seemed like he was trying to figure out a way to express the character differently from the movie".

"The Slave Hunters" and 'Dae-gil' are responsible for widening Jang Hyuk's career, but he'd been tagged 'Dae-gil' for almost 10 years now. Sources say, "An actor doesn't really mind this. They just accept that that's what people see in them, because that's what they were. We, on the other hand, think that the image has dissolved a lot since "Money Flower". There were concerns about this drama being a sageuk, but we think the actor himself has leaped over his limits".

Reactions to "My Country: The New Age" were tremendous and the agency says, "We told Jang Hyuk about the reactions from viewers and he seems happy, but he's not an amateur, so he didn't get too excited".

photo1116427.jpg

photo1116428.jpg

Full article :

https://www.hancinema.net/jang-hyuk-s-characters-dae-gil-from-the-slave-hunters-vs-lee-bang-won-from-my-country-the-new-age-135008.html

• Like 6

Yes, the historical details in My Country have been skimmed over, important events have been skipped and time has been accelerated.  There's only so much time to tell the story in 16 episodes and I believe the goal in My Country is to tie the historical aspects only to our 3 main protagonists - Seo Whi, Sun Ho, Hee Jae and to some extent King Taejo and Prince Lee Bang Won.

The other events and characters like Bang Won's murder of the scholar Jeong Mong-Ju (Pouen) and the story of Sambong are glossed over.  Again, I think this is to keep the plot moving forward at a good pace and to keep the attention on the main cast and only show the events that impact them.   

There are many other Korean dramas that tell the historical side much better (6 Flying Dragons, Empress Ki, etc.) so I wouldn't get to upset by the lack of historical detail and be content that we have a really good story being told from the viewpoint of SeoWhi, SunHo and HeeJae.   It seems they have trimmed down the content to only those events that effect our main characters and their relationship with each other.  Which is fine with me.

From the very beginning, before production started, before she even said one line in My Country there have been many disparaging remarks about Seolhyun and her acting skills.  There are a lot of netizens out there who hold tight to the idea that "idols can't act".  They often say they hope she improves over acting she did 4 years ago. I totally disagree where it come to Seolhyun' acting.  In not all of her films and TV dramas did she do a great job of acting, but that fault doesn't always land on her acting skills.  Production, script and direction all effect how an actor is portrayed or performs in a movie or drama.  Great Korean and American actors have been taken down by bad production, scripts or direction.  She has been nominated and won acting and popularity awards in the past for "Gangnam Blues", "Orange Marmalade" and "Memoir of a Murderer".  Most of the films or TV dramas she has been in have been successful hits.  In My Country, I think she has done really well in a super talented cast.  Especially, in her scenes with Yang SeJong and the love story of SeoWhi and HeeJae has she touched my heart with her acting!

So far, My Country has kept me interested and involved with both the characters and the story line.  The production, direction, script, cinematography, acting, costumes and scenery have all been first rate and dramatically and artfully done.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

Five Reasons you MUST watch My Country: The New Age

Isn’t it wonderful when there are tons of dramas to choose from, and you can’t decide which one to start? Well, the Fangirls have one in particular we think you should drop everything so you can press the play button on episode one. Join us for a fast and furious rundown of why you need to binge watch this drama to catch up.

Read here :

https://dramaswithasideofkimchi.com/2019/10/30/five-reasons-you-must-watch-my-country-the-new-age/

My-Country-Korean-drama.png?resize=676,3

• Awesome 1

I agree with @luvtokki, My country main plot is about Seo hwi, Seon Ho and Hee Jae. Yi bang won and his father are supporting characters as the events if this drama happened in that goryeo-joseon period. If you really want to know King TaeJo ( Yi seong gye) and Yi Bang Won conflict watch 6 flying dragons (avail on Netflix). A good 50 episodes drama that tells the history of Yi bang won since his teenage years. It also tells in depth about Sambong, Poem, and many more. I just started and seriously it’s a good revision to make us more clear about the history background of My Country. 

I think to many of us who feels lost in this time skip should watch 6 flying dragons. 

• Like 6

Yang Se Jong, Woo Do Hwan, And AOA’s Seolhyun Prepare For Battle Of Survival In “My Country”

0689d72e6a9d4fc885f91d27e9ec7059.jpeg?s=

JTBC’s Friday-Saturday drama “My Country” is opening up its second act with the upcoming episode!

In the second half of “My Country,” Seo Hwi (Yang Se Jong), Nam Seon Ho (Woo Do Hwan), and Han Hee Jae (AOA’s Seolhyun) will work and fight even harder to survive during the turbulent transitional time period between the end of the Goryeo Dynasty and the beginning of the Joseon Dynasty.

Spoiler Begins

Last week’s episodes left viewers in shock as Lee Bang Won (Jang Hyuk) was struck with an arrow from Seo Hwi. In the middle of his plans to involve Lee Bang Won to get revenge on Nam Jeon (Ahn Nae Sang), Seo Hwi found himself in danger of getting his identity as a spy revealed, which led him to shoot Lee Bang Won. Nam Seon Ho was also in danger of getting his whole family exterminated when his past plans to murder Yi Sung Kye (Kim Young Chul) were revealed. On the other hand, Han Hee Jae finally gained access to the Yihwaru courtesan house, thus gaining access to secretive information.

Spoiler Ends

The newly released stills feature Seo Hwi, Nam Seon Ho, and Han Hee Jae. While Seo Hwi managed to barely escape the danger of having his identity revealed, he is to face yet more danger as swords are drawn at his neck.

Nam Seon Ho looks as if he lost something very important to him with blood splattered across his face.

Han Hee Jae is spotted at the Yihwaru courtesan house, a seemingly ordinary courtesan house that secretly acts as a central location for the flow of information. Anticipation is high as to how Han Hee Jae will use her access to the Yihwaru courtesan house to her advantage.

The production team said, “The battle of survival between Seo Hwi, Nam Seon Ho, and Han Hee Jae is on a different level from the war between Lee Bang Won, Yi Sung Kye, Nam Jeon, and Queen Sindeok (Park Ye Jin), who fight for power to rule Joseon. Please look forward to how the three, who are forced to walk different paths, will overcome pain and danger, and how their relationships will change in the second act.”

The upcoming episode of “My Country” will air on November 1 at 10:50 p.m. KST.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1362969wpp/yang-se-jong-woo-do-hwan-and-aoas-seolhyun-prepare-for-battle-of-survival-in-my-country?fbclid=IwAR0-fGp50Y_vDgEc44iCoY6Kz56xzWDHjXWibIZCJN2Gb-Y9-WEMcOF7gKs

• Like 2

I don't know where the drama is heading and probably I have to eat my word latter. But..

I already said before that my focal point in this drama is Hwi and HJ's relationship. But I have been staying silent for a while. Because something doesn't seem right to me. Their relationship is so unbalanced.

We have HJ waiting to have Hwi's news for a very long time and when he is back, she does what she can for him and to be with him. She already looks forward to spending seasons with him, meaning to share a life with him. What about Hwi? Yes, he loves HJ. What's not to love about her when she is a rare bright spot in his life and she treats him so well. But I don't sense his sincere wish to fight for a future with her. All he can focus on right now is risking his life to save his sister and he can just die at any point while trying to reach his goal. Saving his sister is the ultimate goal in his life - HJ is simple not a part of it and he doesn't even fight at all, so far. I get it, that he does not want to cause danger to her. 

But HJ is way more capable of finding her own path and takes action than Hwi thinks of her. She is not a damsel in distress but a girl with good survival skill and judgement. She took risks on her own to earn a spot of being the Queen's advisor.  Hwi is probably forever be a pawn in someone else's game (in this case: Bangwon) but HJ isn't. She will use information for her advantage rather than let information be used to harm innocent people - that's a bitter lesson she learns when Hwi was sent away. Just like Lady Seol, she will survive among the wolves rather than let these wolves control her. She is so determined in what she wants to do.. Does Hwi even understand her at all? What the heck is he trying to act rude, pointing his bow towards her, even. Driving her away is his way of loving her but that's noble idiocy. 

There are many times when I wonder if the way HJ treats Hwi now is largely due to the fact that his father saved her when she was a kid - like a way of paying his father back. Hwi reminds HJ so much of his father and she treats him with ultimate gentleness and understanding. She sees pass Hwi's shaky hand and bloody face to see the shame and sadness in his eyes as well as the scars in his soul. She is now fully devoted to keeping him safe and putting his sake before hers. 

Hwi is capable of being a sweet boyfriend; he is a caring person in nature. Like the way he tries to reach out for her face and tugs her in her blanket even when he is in great pain.  I want him to put more effort in his relationship with HJ, or else I just feel that she deserves someone better. Too bad, that someone is simple not the the son of her savior  - so he will never exist.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

Seon Ho is someone I simply can't hate. Because I can understand why he does the things he does. And he is so lonely. 

Honestly, so far I feel sorry for him much more than Hwi. Hwi has good leadership and he is a true warrior. He has a girl who loves him wholeheartedly, an innocent sister to protect and a squad of loyal brothers. Of course he doesn't get love, friendship and loyalty for free: there are things he risks to life to get and people are drawn to him because of his quality.

Seon Ho only has Hwi as a friend. His only friend who he truly loves, just that he loves himself more. HJ is all for Hwi's sake. His father is simple a bastard. The only one who truly cares for him is Hwi's innocent sister - Seon Ho cares about her like his own sister too but without any romantic feeling.

It's Seon Ho who helps Hwi fight to register his name. It's also him who encourages Hwi to participate in the hunt as a way to be recognized despite his low status. He saves Hwi's sister not with the original intention of using her even though he has to threaten his father. At least at first, he chooses to forfeit his friendship with Hwi and makes himself a bad guy in front of Hwi somehow for Hwi's sake. I can never forget how he used to stand up for Hwi and cared for Soyeon. 

I feel bad for Seon Ho when he learns that HJ is at Ihwaru during Hwi's assassination attempt - the way he rushes to that place with the hope that HJ doesn't see Hwi to explain himself. I don't think he harbors hope of getting her love but knowing she doesn't want to lose him a friend and that she understands the bad things happened to Hwi were due to his father are actually what he needs to hear. Someone like Seon Ho can go into the right direction with the right guidance and encouragement. The way HJ harshly scolds him, telling him he is exactly like his father is what he truly dreads to hear - now he even loses her as a casual friend. She is among very few people who sees or at least saw the good in him and does not use him for advantage. And when he comes back from the prison, being torture, he gets another slap from her. Not that such slap isn't undeserving -  just that for Seon Ho "when it rains, it pours". 

Even with all the terrible things Seon Ho does, I sympathize with him and I feel sorry for him for losing everything that he once treasured. He wants Hwi's friendship but he can't just continue to have that - I never sense that he wants Hwi to die at all no matter that Hwi may do, at least until now.  Bound by his own tragedy and inferior complex, he can't rise above that and wants power to solve something that can't be solved. He wants a friend like Hwi, a sister like Soyeon, a lover like HJ. Too bad, he can't.  

In tonight's episode, we see how Seon Ho cares  and tries to reach out for Hwi when he thinks that Hwi is in danger and eventually get killed. He cares for Hwi like the old Seon Ho would certainly do. How he risks his life to get Yeon out and almost gets killed if Hwi's brothers do not get there in time. But that's also the end of his friendship with Hwi: When Hwi fights to destroy his father by faking his death, that destroys Seon Ho too.  If were Seon Ho, I would feel betrayed and shake any good feeling I have about Hwi too. 

What a great pity seeing two friends turn enemies like that.

Hwi is not someone I am worry for. There are people who will always have his back. He never seems to be able to die anyway that his hardship can be tedious and tiring at times. It's Seon Ho who has nothing and I can't wait to see him redeem himself at the end. So yes, I can say that I don't really care much about Hwi's journey now but Seon Ho's. 

• Like 4

For me too, one of the most important focus points is the relationship of Hwi and Heejae, it's bittersweet yet so beautiful. And it's so simple: Hwi loves Heejae just as much as she does, but he knows he might cause her danger. It's not that he is weak and not willing to fight for her, but his life is at risk at any moment, at all moments. I don't see anyone among the characters that deserves her more than he does, and I can't say he doesn't deserve her, their love started, if I can put it correctly, at first sight, or something closer to this. They didn't need much moments to fall for each other, and it grew strong though they were apart. 

Now, spoiler alert!! 

Spoiler

Just finished watching live episode, god this was such a heavy episode I couldn't take a breath! 

I'll comment later once I'm done with the subbed. Just came here to express my anger. Yeon? :tears: I was seeing that, and I think I mentioned earlier that she's going to die. Just wasn't expecting it now. I feel it's too early. Some ppl thought Heejae is dying and she's the one Hwi will seek revenge for, but I don't think she's dying, at least not before the last episode. I'm so pissed, but again, I saw that coming. 

The happy scene where they were having a feast: was clearly the calm that precedes the storm!! Now I see Hwi's character turning point and I'm sad yet excited for YSJ because it will truly show us how he could take his acting to the next level. 

Yeon, you were the purest and most innocent among all. Great acting, will miss you. When I was watching the reaction video and YSJ said I miss my sister, it came to my mind that they're no more filming together and their scenes might have been shot earlier and that her character might have come to an end. So shocking!! 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, r047 said:

For me too, one of the most important focus points is the relationship of Hwi and Heejae, it's bittersweet yet so beautiful. And it's so simple: Hwi loves Heejae just as much as she does, but he knows he might cause her danger. It's not that he is weak and not willing to fight for her, but his life is at risk at any moment, at all moments. I don't see anyone among the characters that deserves her more than he does, and I can't say he doesn't deserve her, their love started, if I can put it correctly, at first sight, or something closer to this. They didn't need much moments to fall for each other, and it grew strong though they were apart. 

Now, spoiler alert!! 

Reveal hidden contents

Just finished watching live episode, god this was such a heavy episode I couldn't take a breath! 

I'll comment later once I'm done with the subbed. Just came here to express my anger. Yeon? :tears: I was seeing that, and I think I mentioned earlier that she's going to die. Just wasn't expecting it now. I feel it's too early. Some ppl thought Heejae is dying and she's the one Hwi will seek revenge for, but I don't think she's dying, at least not before the last episode. I'm so pissed, but again, I saw that coming. 

The happy scene where they were having a feast: was clearly the calm that precedes the storm!! Now I see Hwi's character turning point and I'm sad yet excited for YSJ because it will truly show us how he could take his acting to the next level. 

Yeon, you were the purest and most innocent among all. Great acting, will miss you. When I was watching the reaction video and YSJ said I miss my sister, it came to my mind that they're no more filming together and their scenes might have been shot earlier and that her character might have come to an end. So shocking!! 

I never said Hwi doesn't deserve HJ. All I want is from episode 8 onward, when he truly sees the extent of HJ's love for him, he will at least stop trying to be away from her and think about a future with her. Or else she will forever have to wait around for someone who hide from her and doesn't be with her - in that case, HJ truly deserves better. HJ is not a high-maintenance lover - she only hopes to accompany Hwi and shares his burden rather than asks him to be with her all the time. 

Well, I think my wish is granted. Because at least in tonight's episode, Hwi promises to come back to HJ no matter what as she says she will wait for him. At least that a sign to prove that he wants to be with her and they can discuss things together now. And we have the second kiss :) That's enough for me.

But that's just the calm before the storm before Hwi embarks on a dark journey of his own. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, melp said:

I never said Hwi doesn't deserve HJ. All I want is from episode 8 onward, when he truly sees the extent of HJ's love for him, he will at least stop trying to be away from her and think about a future with her. Or else she will forever have to wait around for someone who hide from her and doesn't be with her - in that case, HJ truly deserves better. HJ is not a high-maintenance lover - she only hopes to accompany Hwi and shares his burden rather than asks him to be with her all the time. 

Well, I think my wish is granted. Because at least in tonight's episode, Hwi promises to come back to HJ no matter what as she says she will wait for him. At least that a sign to prove that he wants to be with her and they can discuss things together now. And we have the second kiss :) That's enough for me.

But that's just the calm before the storm before Hwi embarks on a dark journey of his own. 

I think he started to open up to her slowly, starting from episodes 7 and 8, where he realized he really loves her and she will not let go of him. Starting with that bittersweet forehead kiss, to the hug, and today's episode scene of them together shows he is willing for a life with her. I mean it will be awkward if he opens up abruptly, it will show nothing but his selfishness because her life will be at risk with him. I enjoyed the slow pace of their relationship. 

In the beginning I was really sure this was heading to a sad ending for all of the characters, now I'm a bit confused, a happy ending is still a valid option. Hwi's life isn't going to be the same now that all his efforts, his friends, and suffering are in vain. But now that he started welcoming Heejae to his life, will he have something to live for? Or will the revenge be all what he thinks of? Things will be clear from tomorrow's episode. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, melp said:

Because I can understand why he does the things he does. And he is so lonely.

Sun-ho epitomizes the saying "hurt people hurt people." 

As for me, I'm not that invested in the romantic relationship. I'm more into Hwi and Sun-ho's "bromance" but what interests me in Hwi and Hui-jae's relationship is how her position as an adviser to the queen may affect Hwi. I want to see how that plays out. Will it help Hwi? Will it put her life in danger? 

I'm about to watch the new episode. :)

• Like 1

Woaah *heavy sigh* I'm still crying about Yeon what a precious soul :tears:During that scene I was like damn girl run!!! Out of all the characters my favorite is Seon Ho. He really treated Yeon like his own sister urgh I missed how she has a huge crush on him and Seon Ho and Hwi are playing along with it :( I just realized that in the first episode when Hwi came to kill Nam Jeon but Seon Ho stopped it then he looked first at the cloth with a I think bird sewed to it. It's the one Yeon personally made for him. So Yeon was like the trigger for everything. When Woo Do Hwan said in the swoon video that the only happy scene was during the kite festival I thought that there still be one because they're still filming but ahhh he wad dead serious. What I really love about this drama is that even though I know how it will end based on history I don't have any idea what will happen to the three characters. I'm still hopinf for a happy ending there's still a chance. And what I mean with happy ending is that all the three of them is alive. Yeon should be the last one! And they shouldn't touch any of Hwi's squad either! Just let them live!! huhu

PS: Seems like the staff shares the same sentiments with us on how Woo Do Hwan looks so good with blood especially with a splatter on his face lol that they're doing it every episode hahaha might as well tattooed those on his face :lol:

• Like 4
  • Love 1

It's good to see the actors among the hot topics on Naver, a while ago it was Jang Hyuk and now YSJ is topping the list among the hot search topics, I hope it reflects on the ratings, I want to see a leap because today's episode was really Daebak!! 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Whew! That was really heavy, black, and sad. Just when things started to brighten ahead of Hwi, everything collapsed again.

Namjeon, I hate you. If this means anything it would mean how the actor did an excellent job in portraying the character. Another character to add to my blacklist following this episode is the queen. The weakest character would be Yi Seunggye. 

Bangwon and Hwi executed the plan beautifully, to be ruined in the end by giving Namjeon his freedom. It's frustrating that all the lives that were lost and the efforts are now all in vain. 

Some of the funny scenes I liked was when they were teasing Hwi with the band lol and the whole table scene, to see some happy moments in this dark drama is rare and precious, not to forget Hwi and Huijae moments. Oh and that where Hwi was running to meet with Yeon, aww he was just like a young boy. YSJ is so manly yet babyfaced and gives you innocent vibes. 

I really loved Sunho in this episode. I really loved the tears of happiness when he knew Hwi was alive. Well done WDH. I was super excited when he was fighting alongside Hwi in the end and thought that the bromance we loved might be seen again :w00t:, that was too short. 

Hwi promised Huijae he'll be back and won't let her wait more. This promise gave me hope in a happy ending, yet in the preview, it's like he surrendered and will not let Yeon wait more. Life has no taste, no color for Hwi now. Yeon told him that he hasn't changed, is it finally the turning point for him? Let's see how his character changes. 

Can't predict what will happen in tomorrow's episode but I'm preparing myself for much sobbing. YSJ is a master of emotional scenes he lets you get so immersed with him as if it is a true loss, not a mere drama :tears: 

Actors are doing a great job here and we're watching a masterpiece, but the ratings? I was trying not to think of it much but even Koreans are surprised with the numbers. Vagabond did not air as well I was expecting much rise thanks to that but they're stable. Other than that I see that the drama is a huge success. I hope that does not frustrate our cast and I hope they'll get many awards in the end of the year, that I'm sure of! 

• Like 5
  • Love 1