[Drama 2019] My Country, 나의 나라

0ly40

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQk2YP-RKBCDwX763lbI8hY___wW9__QVYV4WGkVZ6R7qM_FVhD1wimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcQZ2RIlDdARMAOci_f6Y-2images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRR5TN1_CPlWYZ1FX1fvwfmJp7JVsR0ONrR_jOQcGYMLIITA8bTKA

A little late but as good as this story and talent within it is I don't mind being the turtle here and the bond that is between these two characters really has captured my interest.  From the beginning seeing them shooting arrows in that forest as if two birds flying in and out of one another.  It was like watching playful dancing soaring while being lifted upon the wind...

Even later watching them running and busting through that door in wanting to register and place an arrow which was more like a key that allowed a once closed door to SJ now become open.  DH's idea of allowing him to become that barking & running shadow beside his horse made perfect sense to me when an opportunity was given and SJ was there to receive it...

Friendship or is it brothers bonded by their situations in understanding the lives they lead instead of blood.  Not caring about who or even what they were or are but instead whats inside that drives them.  Enemies is what we're are told the future will hold but right now watching their unity in protecting, caring and fighting for their own ideas and dreams is also a type of beauty to behold...

• Like 3

Quite hypocrite of Sun Ho to label Bang Won a thief who will still the country when they did the same...Kinda sad seeing how step by step Sun Ho will become more like the one he hates,his father even that arogancy...And he doesn't just hate him he also wants at the same time his acknowledgement...Quite curious what was in that secret letter that Hwi found left by Seo Geom and also i suspect that Bang Won admired Hwi's father and might know more of what happened then and it takes more and more shape that he was framed by Nam Jeon for his own desire to climb in status,now did it do it alone or he got others in power side with him as i still think Seogom downfall is connected with Hee Jae's Mother death and the info she had,also there are 3 stamps on the letter...I'm quite intrigued what Hwi will do and if he will really try to fool Bang Won or he will tell him the truth and play like a double spy fooling SunHo&Nam Jeon while gathering his own power to save his sister...Also ,can mister Immortal tell us his secret as Hwi twisted that sword into him and he walked out like nothing...It will be quite rewarding to see Nam Jeon fall down yet at the same time seeing how late his karma comes to him in the form of Hwi it is sad,he enjoyed power and glory for more like 10 years under Taejong so it does feel like he won somehow...Still consider that Hwi doesn't owe nothing to Sun Ho,more like the later one owns him his life...Hope Hwi will soon reunite and make his own badass band because those together are badass...Loved how Bang Won put Nam Jeon in his place and hope he will do it more!!!I confess i'm a bit sad Hee Jae will be on Nam Jeon side advising him...

Now,i'm soo in love with the general OST& BGM especially the awesome main OST!!!It is AMAZING and i just can't wait for it to be released,it has that FIGHTING factor!!!

Aside from this can't help but add: Woo Do Hwan's voice is soooooo soothing,i love it!!!!

• Like 4

So I just finished watching with subs.

That scene with Yeon, heartbreaking, couldn't hold my tears. Hwi felt really lonely, his eyes were filled with deep sorrow. :tears:

And that last scene, wow, wasn't seeing this coming. I was excited about Hwi and Bang Won but what, to kill him? I believe the story hides many twists! And this adds to the reasons I'm hating Sunho, man he saved your life and you're threatening him with his sister.

Same here about Heejae being on Namjeon side, it's frustrating.

Anyways I have to admit, YSJ looks handsome with this look, hope they don't change it. At least he is finally clean. :lol:

So this episode's rating is 4.8%, glad it's improving and I wish it will rise even higher and higher because it deserves. Good things take time! In the end of the day as someone mentioned it before, maybe it doesn't really matter since they have Netflix as well. 

The story is dark, at this point it seems clear where things are heading to, a happy ending will be unreasonable, at least for now. Good work from all for this week. Will keep watching.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, rocher22 said:

I dont understand why the writer inconsistently portrays Sunho.

Sunho stood  in front of that  sword protecting Hwi.

And then at the end of the episode he blackmails Hwi using Yeong.

That was  really low...

I saw it more as him having a moment of weakness and guilt for what he did adding with the background of war...Now that he is on his "safe" terrain and with the upperhand and taste of upcoming power he might get he just let's that monster inside him take control of him...

I found it more cruel how he told him that Yeon died when he very well knew someday he might see her and don't consider what Nam Jeon told him as enough reason to hide it from him like that...Guess that's what makes him more intresting yet even more awful especially in terms of friendship with Hwi...He's like give medicine and poison depending the moment...

Like some other people said"who needs an enemy when u have a friend like Sun Ho by your side...."

The other side is that keeping hitting Hwi again and again will make him stronger and they will truly regret letting him live,because we saw that Hwi can keep inside him since fairly early age but when it will explode it will burn everyone in his path who wronged and mocked him and i'm all in for that payback...

What is truly sad is that at the end of the day the low class are the ones suffering all this while the upperclass talk and talk about making it better for them but will not stop at making them a sacrifice for the said greater good...

All in all what Sun Ho did was trully low indeed using Yeon to make Hwi kneel and flaunt his status against him,even if the Mastermind in the end is his father it doesn't excuse at all his own way of doing it and at the end accepting the way he treats Hwi,for sure regard friendship very high but how can one do something like that to a friend that they practically grew up together,that is low and frighting...

@r047 I also don't count on a happy ending,the story inself like u mentioned is dark and it is a sageuk and well usually lots of characters die in this genre(and not mentioning the light sageuks here)

I doubt SunHo will live at the end of the story because it just doesn't seem plausible,the cards are against him from the get go even more after Bang Won takes the throne...Now i just hope they won't die all of them,aka Hwi, SunHo and Hee Jae as pretty sure we suspect that Hae Jae based on first ep won't make it...The total fallout would be for Hwi and SunHo to kill each other...I mean,at least leave out Hwi alive yet will the poor one be able to continue with all the heartbreak if most of them die...

Happy for the increase,it is amazing,it was a leap of 1% something quite great,hope it will increase with each episode...

• Like 4

The fourth episode of JTBC's "My Country" which aired on Saturday, recorded viewership ratings of 4.8 percent nationwide and 5.0 percent in the Seoul metropolitan area (based on Nielsen Korea's fee-based households), breaking its own record.

0002816610_001_20191013075354572.jpg?typ

https://n.news.naver.com/entertain/article/108/0002816610?cluid=enter_201910122340_00000001

• Like 3
  • Awesome 2

1 hour ago, Prettysup said:

The fourth episode of JTBC's "My Country" which aired on Saturday, recorded viewership ratings of 4.8 percent nationwide and 5.0 percent in the Seoul metropolitan area (based on Nielsen Korea's fee-based households), breaking its own record.

https://n.news.naver.com/entertain/article/108/0002816610?cluid=enter_201910122340_00000001

Why are people cursing Joseon dynasty in the comments section?:joy:

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

Episode 4 is really good & we all get more of the story (than action scenes) we want too. I thought the same with you all when I saw episode 3 but wanted to wait and see if Show is withholding more backstory to the characters and sure enough we get flashbacks from their past in episode 4, and they really are crucial information on both Hwi and Sun Ho.

I can't hate on Sun Ho after learning his backstory. I also understand his inner conflict of wanting to break free from the hell he was born into, and he's doing it in the only way he knows/taught how albeit it's blatantly wrong. I believe on some level, Hwi understands Sun Ho and his determination that's why he refused to believe Sun Ho when Sun Ho said he bribed the examiner. Sun Ho still has his soft spot for Hwi and Yeon; I was so glad he told Hwi truthfully not to go against his father otherwise he will die. He is, in his own way, trying to protect Hwi and Yeon.

At the moment Sun Ho's character is much more compelling than Seo Hwi's. WDH landed himself a really good role. Now that we've gotten to the main story, I hope to see Hwi becoming more proactive in fighting for his belief. For the past 4 episodes, he's only reacting when "pushed" but I anticipate him using his wit and grow stronger. I'm also anticipating both of them to outwit each other during the time of the "First Strife of Princes" because they know each other well means they will try to predict each others' moves/thoughts.

After this week, my conclusion is that even if the story falters I'm still going to see it to the end because the acting from all these actors are too good to be missed. Plus I get some quick short-cut history lesson of the beginning of Joseon dynasty (Hahaha). I really like the end of episode 3 and the start of episode 4 because of YSJ and WDH's acting. After Sun Ho was attacked, YSJ was shedding a few tears (have to sit really close to the screen to be able to see it because his face is so diry, blocked by his hair and the scene is so dark), and was literally shaking from the shock which turned into anger after that... ok I lied, I also love other scenes between Hwi & SH, Hwi & Nam Jeon, Nam Jeon & LSG, Nam Jeon & LBW, LBW & LSG... the tension between them all is exciting to see.

I'm happy to hear the ratings went up too. JTBC has to compete with SBS's Vagabond who's leading in rating at the moment and Pegasus Market (for Fri only). But once Vagabond finishes in Nov, the ratings should pick up a lot more.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

13 hours ago, fiesty8001 said:

Why are people cursing Joseon dynasty in the comments section?:joy:

Are they? I see people saying that this deserves 15% rating 

https://entertain.naver.com/ranking/comment/list?oid=108&aid=0002816610

19 hours ago, lollyminx said:

The medic is becoming one of my favorite characters in this series. :lol: I laughed so hard when he cried at the dining table when they were offered food because he hasn't sat down to eat food for so long. :lol:

Can you imagine they are the same person ?

My_Country-In_Gyo-Jin.jpg

In_Gyo-Jin-p1.jpg

• Like 2
  • LOL 5
  • Awesome 1

20 hours ago, lollyminx said:

HAHAHAHAHAHA It's hilarious how you put it :lol: but yeah, I was also reading about the historical background of this series and saw what Bang Won did. I guess he made up for it by being sperm donor so Korea can have Sejong the Great? 

Maybe he was a good father that's why he was able to raise a good son. He preferred Sejong over his older sons which means he had good eye for the people.

Generally I don't judge historical characters because our sources of information themselves can be unreliable or biased or exaggerated. I'm more intrested in overall social impact of different events and traditions during  course of history. LBW massacred a few people but maybe he did it in self defense. Maybe he didn't have other choice. There were kings/emperors who slaughtered hundred thousands just for fun and are still considered 'great'. Compared to them LBW sounds tame. 

12 hours ago, Prettysup said:

Are they? I see people saying that this deserves 15% rating 

https://entertain.naver.com/ranking/comment/list?oid=108&aid=0002816610

It's both.:D

• Like 1
  • Love 1

This drama is riveting. I’m captivated by the way it’s presented even though it has the usual drama antics. The wonderful portrayal of the cast plus top notch cinematography makes up for the fairly standard story. I like to believe that there will be a twist to the story towards the end between the two main characters’ friendship. I think there will be something that will restore their bond and things are more than what it appears to be right now. At least the optimist in me would like to think so. 

• Like 3

I don't know to which extent the director is planning to be faithful to the true events of history. JH is too old to play LBW and these kids are too young to play princes. 

In 1388, those 2 kids were only 6 and 7 years old, so I guess the kids ages are ok.

Yi Bang-won was supposed to be 21 years old at that time, so JH is indeed too old for this role haha. But then it is kind of hard to find a 21 year old actor who can carry the aura of YBW in the drama, so let's assume all those years in the battlefield and fighting in wars had hardened and aged YBW prematurely. His age will be more appropriate as the timeline jumps later on.

• Like 8

On 10/12/2019 at 9:55 AM, lollyminx said:

I don't know what to think about character development here. On the one hand, I agree with you all when you said character development is lacking. On the other hand, I am still satisfied with the pace of the story. It may just be because I like the story, the visuals, and the actors here though, but I believe as the story moves along, the events will influence character development. 

Also, the female lead's acting is faltering again and it comes just when I'm about to cheer her on. Like when she left Ihwaru, I was like, "You go girl! We don't know what the consequence of you leaving will be, BUT YAAAAAS FOR NOT ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE USED BY SEOL!" And then she comes out of the gisaeng house and then delivers acting while bidding goodbye to her friend that fails to connect me with her. She's a hit or miss for me so far, but I'm hanging on to her just cause her character arc seems interesting enough. I want to know what her position will be in the future. 

Can I just say, this series is making me read about Korean history lol I'm so curious about what's going to happen that I read about the Goryeo to Joseon transition. From my understanding, Seong Gye is going to be the next king, and his descendants will lead Joseon, and Bang Won's son will be Sejeong the Great, right? 

Yes, Yi Seong Gye is the one who take away the power of Goryeo Kings and made himself a King and ye, Yi Bang Won is the father of Sejong the great. If you want a more detailed drama of Yi Bang Won watch six flying dragons. That drama is 50 episodes and it tells about Yi Bang Won and his family quite in detail

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1

8 hours ago, r047 said:

is 3% considered ok?

I think yes. I'm not Korean so I don't know how TV ratings work there but many people have said that for cable shows 3% is good enough. 

5 hours ago, rocher22 said:

I dont understand why the writer inconsistently portrays Sunho.

Sunho stood  in front of that  sword protecting Hwi.

And then at the end of the episode he blackmails Hwi using Yeon.

That was  really low...

I think he's trying to balance his personal desires and that of Hwi's. Sunho may have been raised in a well-to-do family but compared to Hwi, he has been struggling since childhood because of his father. He saw her dead mother (either he hanged herself or Nam Jeon had her killed), he was blamed for his older brother's death, and since then, his life hasn't been his own. Mentally or emotionally, Hwi had it better but he's poor. So they're the opposites. Hwi is from a loving family but he's poor. Sunho is from a wealthy family but has never been loved by his family. He only felt that with Hwi as his friend, so in Episode 4, he told Hwi there's one person he doesn't want to lose, and that's Hwi. Sunho is now trying to balance not losing Hwi and gaining power himself so he can crush his father, and this shows in all his decisions: he chose to send Hwi to war so his father won't kill Hwi, but also so he can show he can be trusted by his father.

All in all, I truly understand where Sunho is coming from although this doesn't excuse the horrible things he did to Hwi. Even so, I hope he and Hwi will make up in the latter part of the series. I care more about their relationship as best friends, than the love angle, to be honest, hahaha

2 hours ago, mademoisellesia said:

I can't hate on Sun Ho after learning his backstory. I also understand his inner conflict of wanting to break free from the hell he was born into, and he's doing it in the only way he knows/taught how albeit it's blatantly wrong.

I feel the same.

2 hours ago, Prettysup said:

Can you imagine they are the same person ?

OH MY GOD! I've seen that actor somewhere playing a normal character. I never would have imagined it's him playing the medic. What a transformation lol I hope he doesn't die though because I'm rooting for him to become a proper doctor in Joseon lol

2 hours ago, fiesty8001 said:

He preferred Sejong over his older sons which means he had good eye for the people.

Ooooh it seems so. I mean in the series, Bang Won seems to respect Seo Geom, so maybe that's how he is known in Korea? A person with relatively good judgment? 

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, lollyminx said:

All in all, I truly understand where Sunho is coming from although this doesn't excuse the horrible things he did to Hwi. Even so, I hope he and Hwi will make up in the latter part of the series. I care more about their relationship as best friends, than the love angle, to be honest, hahaha

Same. I hope they made up in the end even if that means Sun Ho has to die to atone his sins. I'm 100% certain Name Jeon betrayed Seo Geom and they were also friends, and now history is repeating itself on Sun Ho and Hwi. But I want to put faith in Sun Ho that he would turn out differently to his father at the end even though he walked the wrong path first.

---

As for Yi Bang Won, Wikipedia indicated that he killed/exiled many of his supporters that helped him ascend to the throne to strengthen the royal authority. He even killed his son, Sejong's in-law, to weaken the in-law's power. It reminds me of the talk of the "greater cause" (daeui) in episode 4 and that's why they say the king (or the leader of a country) is always lonely. They have to be good, do good, but they also have to be evil, make difficult decisions and sacrifice lives for the greater good when the circumstances called for it.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

5 hours ago, Miky88 said:

I found it more cruel how he told him that Yeon died when he very well knew someday he might see her and don't consider what Nam Jeon told him as enough reason to hide it from him like that...

I actually saw some truth in this... the way she is now, the Yeon that Hwi knew has "died" as she has no memories of them. To some extent, this might be saving her from her painful memories, but when she does remember, she might be even more distraught that she forgot. Maybe Sun Ho wanted Hwi to truly not return so as to save his life, and also save Yeon's life by not coming back to remind her of the past. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

4 hours ago, mademoisellesia said:

Episode 4 is really good & we all get more of the story (than action scenes) we want too. I thought the same with you all when I saw episode 3 but wanted to wait and see if Show is withholding more backstory to the characters and sure enough we get flashbacks from their past in episode 4, and they really are crucial information on both Hwi and Sun Ho.

I can't hate on Sun Ho after learning his backstory. I also understand his inner conflict of wanting to break free from the hell he was born into, and he's doing it in the only way he knows/taught how albeit it's blatantly wrong. I believe on some level, Hwi understands Sun Ho and his determination that's why he refused to believe Sun Ho when Sun Ho said he bribed the examiner. Sun Ho still has his soft spot for Hwi and Yeon; I was so glad he told Hwi truthfully not to go against his father otherwise he will die. He is, in his own way, trying to protect Hwi and Yeon.

At the moment Sun Ho's character is much more compelling than Seo Hwi's. WDH landed himself a really good role. Now that we've gotten to the main story, I hope to see Hwi becoming more proactive in fighting for his belief. For the past 4 episodes, he's only reacting when "pushed" but I anticipate him using his wit and grow stronger. I'm also anticipating both of them to outwit each other during the time of the "First Strife of Princes" because they know each other well means they will try to predict each others' moves/thoughts.

After this week, my conclusion is that even if the story falters I'm still going to see it to the end because the acting from all these actors are too good to be missed. Plus I get some quick short-cut history lesson of the beginning of Joseon dynasty (Hahaha). I really like the end of episode 3 and the start of episode 4 because of YSJ and WDH's acting. After Sun Ho was attacked, YSJ was shedding a few tears (have to sit really close to the screen to be able to see it because his face is so diry, blocked by his hair and the scene is so dark), and was literally shaking from the shock which turned into anger after that... ok I lied, I also love other scenes between Hwi & SH, Hwi & Nam Jeon, Nam Jeon & LSG, Nam Jeon & LBW, LBW & LSG... the tension between them all is exciting to see.

I'm happy to hear the ratings went up too. JTBC has to compete with SBS's Vagabond who's leading in rating at the moment and Pegasus Market (for Fri only). But once Vagabond finishes in Nov, the ratings should pick up a lot more.

I agree with you on this. Sunho’s character despite his flaws is great. There is a depth to his character and his back story along with his conflicts with his dad, his character is a lot more interesting. I expected hwi to change completely and his character to be more forceful / driven and ambitious after he was sent away forcefully but he hasn’t become that for me. His actions seem to be a result of the moment rather than an ambition for a cause. I can see the writer is trying to make him kinder and all but it sadly isn’t making him interesting enough. YSG is an amazing actor but I feel like writer isn’t helping him here 

• Like 2

Well, I don't agree with the thought that Sunho wanted Yeon to have good memories and start a new life, from the beginning it was partly his fault that she and her brother ended up this way. It reminds me of what Heejae said to Hwi, having sisters like her will not replace him. Well said. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, hyunxing XD said:

I agree with you on this. Sunho’s character despite his flaws is great. There is a depth to his character and his back story along with his conflicts with his dad, his character is a lot more interesting. I expected hwi to change completely and his character to be more forceful / driven and ambitious after he was sent away forcefully but he hasn’t become that for me. His actions seem to be a result of the moment rather than an ambition for a cause. I can see the writer is trying to make him kinder and all but it sadly isn’t making him interesting enough. YSG is an amazing actor but I feel like writer isn’t helping him here 

Hmmm.. on the contrary, I feel like though Sunho's character might feel more appealing and somewhat unpredictable, I wasn't really impressed by WDH performance. I mean he is good, but not as much as I expected him to be. Before the drama I was really looking forward to the duo of YSJ and WDH, however I feel WDH acting is cold. On the other hand, though Hwi is the kind and good one here, he never failed to move me and let me cry with him whenever he shed tears. The guy is genius. He can make any role his own. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1