[Drama 2019] My Country, 나의 나라

0ly40

Ooh, these first two episodes were good. I just need to thank the drama gods for blessing me visually with the bare torsos of some very fit men lately. Jang Dong Yoon in Tale of Nokdu, Kim Jae Young in Secret Boutique and the heavenly sculptured Woo Do Hwan here. Thank you, thank you. Please continue with your fine work. 

Aside from my perving, I can't wait for Hwi to overcome his banishment to the hell of war and become strong enough to get revenge. 

• LOL 3

I just started the second episode and I take back what I said about the female lead. When she cried while remembering the past with Hwi's dad, her acting was okay. Not the best, but enough, I guess. :star: 

Also, I was laughing so hard at the squid kite. I hope it flies the best. Also, Hwi's sister's make up :lol:

I'm just 10 minutes in but boy am I hoping this series gets the attention and love it deserves. I want it to be successful. 

• Like 4

Just finished ep 2 and I am glad the sister did not die, at least not yet.. phew

@lollyminx Yeah the female lead's remembering the past was quite good, it made me tear a little

My Country: The New Age Episode 1 Recap

The series begins by informing the viewer that private armies were approved by the king to keep unrest to a minimum.

Day of the 1st Strife of Princes, August 1398…

A group of men ride in the night. An army waits. Lee Bang Won (Jang Hyuk) is asked what their next move is. They need to move or the morning will find them cornered. JH needs Seo Hwi to join them. His advisor doesn’t agree.

Seo Hwi (Yang Se Jong) arrives with his men. Bang Won orders him to go to Chwiwoldang and attack. Nam Jeon is there. And the watch word is…sanseong.

Continue reading here :

https://kjtamusings.wordpress.com/2019/10/06/my-country-the-new-age-episode-1/

mc_ep1_0100.jpg?w=605&h=279

• Like 2
  • Love 2

i am really sad that their friendship ends so fast. From this two episodes we get to know that Seon Ho did not value his friendship as much as Hwi does (because he did put his ambition first). He wanted to be recognized by his father and also you can see he is jealous when Yi Seong Gye recognized Hwi's talent in arrow and gave him special token. 

He also proove his friendship means nothing when he chose to save his dad from being killed because of the bribery case. My heart wrecks when he chose to kill instead of fight for Hwi's justice. 

But when he cried out during the scene where Hwi was taken away, I do feel he regretted his decision. So I really hope we get the answer on why he ask Hwi to be enlisted in military immediately and takes him away from his sick sister. I am hoping he has better plan (tho what ever plan he might have is useless as Hwi already think he is a traitor). I hope the reason he betrayed Hwi isn't solely for his dad because his dad never really care about him. 

I also have a feeling Nam Jeon (Seon Ho's dad) is the mastermind behind the death of Seo Geom (Hwi's dad). I believe he started the rumour as he wanted the position of Chief of the North Guards which was Hwi's dad position in the first place. 

I do not want to hate WDH character but seeing how pitiful YSJ character is I cannot help to side Hwi for now. 

On 10/5/2019 at 8:46 AM, Prettysup said:

Ok to sort out the timeline for myself

Flashback 10 years ago - 1388

Lee Seong-gye ascending thorne - 1392 (beginning of Joseon dynasty)

Beginning of ep 1 : First strife of the princes - 1398

So the flashback brings us back to the Goryeo dynasty

yup this is the end of Goryeo era before the beginnign of JoSeon where Yi-Seong Hye/Taejo of Joseon (one of the chief minister)manage to abdicate the throne from the last Goryeo prince.

And in 1398 (first strife of princes) is when Yi Bang Won went against his dad and abdicate the throne after he won the battle. 

So we know Seon Ho maintains on Yi Seong Gye side and Hwi is Yi Bang Won important general. 

• Like 4

Just finished Episode 2 and I have thoughts...

About the military exam, wouldn't the military be gaining more men if they narrowed down the search to maybe 5, 10 people? I mean, why do they choose only one when there are many skilled men who prove their capabilities by making it to the top 10. It's the military's loss, to be honest.

Seo Seol intrigues me because we don't know whose side she's on. She knows everthing that's happening. She sent Nam Jeon's message to the examiner to rig the exam, but she also showed Hwi the room where Nam Jeon and the examiner were drinking. She's choosing what information to share to people and I want to know what her end game is. 

Also, I kinda get where Sun Ho is coming from. I'm not saying he's a good person. He's bad. But it's not easy to be good when you've been raised in a cruel environment. He wants to own his life, and I get the strong desire for independence, but he did so at the expense of Hwi. I don't think his suffering since childhood of being constantly pressured by his father outweighs Hwi's suffering of being separated from his sister and sent to war. 

Despite all the conflict between them, I love their friendship and their respect for each other. I was cheering when Hwi said, "See you in the final round!" I hope someday they patch things up (although it will be hard to get past all the heartbreaking things Sun Ho did), but (1) maybe taking care of Hwi's sister and letting her live long as she wished will make up for everything Sun Ho did (I also wish they marry haha because it's Hwi's sister who will be able to see the good in Sun Ho), and (2) fight alongside one another for a country they both envision as theirs.

That's my ultimate wish, I think, to see Hwi and Sun Ho be allies and work together to bring about a prosperous country they both hope for. 

I wonder how Hui Jae will also repay her "debt" to Hwi's father and to Hwi, who was sent to the military because of her actions. I have a feeling there's going to be sacrifice involved, and it will be heartbreaking.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, lollyminx said:

Also, I kinda get where Sun Ho is coming from. I'm not saying he's a good person. He's bad. But it's not easy to be good when you've been raised in a cruel environment. He wants to own his life, and I get the strong desire for independence, but he did so at the expense of Hwi. I don't think his suffering since childhood of being constantly pressured by his father outweighs Hwi's suffering of being separated from his sister and sent to war. 

Not only this, by being the person closest to Hwi he should know that Hwi suffered more. Being taken away a status and force to become a lowlife. Being called a 'ghost' because his dad is said to die in cauldron (when clearly his father killed himself do that his children will not suffer) but definitely that are all lies. For him to did that to a man who already is pitiful, he really needs to do something really really big to get forgiveness from Hwi and from Yeon. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I do not understand this, in episode 2 ,  Nam Seon threatened his father that he can tell General Choi that he knows about the rigged exam.  However, Gen Choi already knows that Seon knows about it.  He was there in the forest and shot an arrow at the other guy who knew about the rigged exam. What does this mean?

Also, why is it Hui Jae's fault that Hwi was sent to the military?  I thought it was Nam Seon who sent Hwi, so that he won't broadcast about the rigged exam?

And did i understand it correctly,  it was Nam Jeon who saved Hui Jae as a young girl?  That's why she felt indebted to him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cherriesblue said:

I do not understand this, in episode 2 ,  Nam Seon threatened his father that he can tell General Choi that he knows about the rigged exam.  However, Gen Choi already knows that Seon knows about it.  He was there in the forest and shot an arrow at the other guy who knew about the rigged exam. What does this mean?

Also, why is it Hui Jae's fault that Hwi was sent to the military?  I thought it was Nam Seon who sent Hwi, so that he won't broadcast about the rigged exam?

And did i understand it correctly,  it was Nam Jeon who saved Hui Jae as a young girl?  That's why she felt indebted to him.

I thought it was Seo Hwi's father who saved Hee Jae as a young girl? And who said it was her fault that Hwi was sent to the military? I don't recall that part.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cherriesblue said:

The one who found out is not General Choi Young. He is General Lee Seong Gye, who will later be the first king of Joseon dynasty.

Indirectly Hee Jae played a part in Seo Hwi being sent to the military. If she hadn't sent the letter (through the other gisaeng) to let Lee Seong Gye know then everything wouldn't have happened the way it did.

Seo Geom (Hwi's dad) saved Hee Jae.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Enjoyed the start but a bit annoyed at Woo Do Hwan's character so far - I've seen him in a few things before and enjoy his acting so naturally want to root for him so I'm biased but so far he has been such a generic 2nd lead. Few acts of kindness then being a douchebag. 

Feel like he has already done so many unlikeable things and then he'll probably have a jealousy arc as the ML and FL are already in love? Wish they would make him selfless over that but I very much doubt it. If anything they'll probably make him lie to her or something along those lines so he can get with her making him a bigger richard simmons.

I can see where they probably want to go with him but they did not make him anywhere near sympathetic enough to justify half the things he did, especially when you put it aside the story we have from the ML already. Feel like they'll try and justify his acts/make him more sympathetic as the show goes on but he's already reaching un-rootable after two episodes for me. A lifelong friend but literally ruins everything in the space of a week for his own benefit.

I think I might struggle to enjoy this one if he continues being such a richard simmons as I struggle to enjoy shows where actors I like play a generic jealous/douchey second lead characters, especially as I wasn't exactly enamoured with the ML when I watched him in Still 17

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, mademoisellesia said:

Indirectly Hee Jae played a part in Seo Hwi being sent to the military. If she hadn't sent the letter (through the other gisaeng) to let Lee Seong Gye know then everything wouldn't have happened the way it did.

Did she send a letter to Lee Seong gye? I thought she sent a letter to Nam Jeon ?

My Country: The New Age Episode 2 Recap

mc_ep2_0100.jpg?w=605&h=285

Determined to be reverse the denied status for the exam, Seo Hwi (Yang Se Jong) and Nam Sun Ho (Woo Do Hwan) fight the guards. Han Hee Jae (Kim Seol Hyun) watches from the street. She recalls a snippet of her encounter with the greatest swordsman of all (Seo Hwi’s father). With Sun Ho warding off further interference, Seo Hwi takes the broken arrow to the administrator and slams it into the desk. He declares his father was the greatest swordsman of all. Startled the administration takes out the other half of the broken arrow from right chancellor General Yi. He stamps Seo Hwi approved for the exam. Seo Hwi and Sun Ho walk away, mission accomplished.

Continue reading here :

https://kjtamusings.wordpress.com/2019/10/06/my-country-the-new-age-episode-2/

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Prettysup said:

Did she send a letter to Lee Seong gye? I thought she sent a letter to Nam Jeon ?

In the forest, Lee Seong Gye tells Nam Jeon "Office of the Inspecter General received an anonymous letter before breakfast. It was to inform the court of a rigged state exam and request a retake." That's why later on we see the gisaeng and the maid kneeling in the rain. Hee Jae is that whistleblower. She left a letter in the rice bowl; her gisaeng friend was being punished for delivering Hee Jae's letter to the office. To further support Hee Jae being a whistleblower, Head Gisaeng tells her to see Hwi off: "Go and witness the outcome of your foolishness."

• Like 7
  • Love 1

17 hours ago, Prettysup said:

the letter she sent to Nam Jeon is before the exam (which she did not know the content) and turn out it's about bribing the examiner. The anonymous letter she send to lee Seong Gye is the one she put inside her rice bowl. She wrote the letter but her gisaeng best friend who sent it. this letter tells the bribe. She thought LSG will help and re do the exam. Little that she knew that LSG takes another way to cover this up. Which let Hwi to be sent to military

21 hours ago, cherriesblue said:

The one in the forest is not General Choi, that is General Lee Seung Gye. So General Choi is another important figure that will make them in trouble if the rigged exam were found out. 

Hui Jae become a whistleblower and she send an anonymous letter thru her gisaeng friend. because of her action, Seon Ho killed the examiner and to cover up he sent Hwi to war as Hwi also knew about the rigged exam. They want to ensure this issue will not get out so they need to ensure Hwi is send away. 

Hwi's father (Seo Geom) who save Hui Jae as a little girl.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Lists Of Most Buzzworthy Dramas And Actors

On October 8, Good Data Corporation shared their weekly rankings of the most buzzworthy dramas and actors. The results are from the company analyzing 25 currently airing and upcoming dramas from September 30 to October 6, taking into consideration netizen responses from news articles, blogs, online communities, videos, and social media.

Top 10 TV dramas of this week:

KBS2 “When the Camellia Blooms” – 12.52 percent
OCN “Strangers from Hell” – 11.98 percent
KBS2 “The Tale of Nokdu” – 11.77 percent
JTBC “Flower Crew: Joseon Marriage Agency” – 10.86 percent
SBS “Vagabond” – 9.01 percent
JTBC “My Country” – 7.52 percent
MBC “Extraordinary You” – 7.24 percent
tvN “Melting Me Softly” – 3.96 percent
tvN “Pegasus Market” – 3.65 percent
MBN “Graceful Family” – 2.89 percent

Buzzworthy-Dramas.png

Top 10 drama actors this week:

Park Ji Hoon (“Flower Crew: Joseon Marriage Agency”)
Gong Hyo Jin (“When the Camellia Blooms”)
Jang Dong Yoon (“The Tale of Nokdu”)
Yang Se Jong (“My Country”)
Kim So Hyun (“The Tale of Nokdu”)
Suzy (“Vagabond”)
Lee Seung Gi (“Vagabond”)
Im Siwan (“Strangers from Hell”)
Seolhyun (“My Country”)
Woo Do Hwan (“My Country”)

Buzzworthy-Actors.png

https://www.soompi.com/article/1357608wpp/when-the-camellia-blooms-and-park-ji-hoon-top-lists-of-most-buzzworthy-dramas-and-actors

• Like 3

Hello Everyone, Great way to return back to Kdrama. I envision so many things happening later in this one.. Manly things happening to Hwi being manipulated because of his sister will be in the hands of his enemies..  Also the love triangle isn't going to help his mental state of mind when his so called friend will be playing the role of a lover to his love interest when it's only onesided.. 

Loving the role of JH taking on the role of BW.. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

My Country: The New Age: Episode 1
by LollyPip

With the influx of bright, cheerful fusion sageuks this year, JTBC and Netflix’s sageuk My Country: The New Age brings some welcome gravitas to my drama-watching line-up. I’m very excited to see two of my favorite dramatic actors face off in this friends-to-enemies tale, set to the historical backdrop of the time when Goryeo was overthrown and became Joseon. The real attraction will be the friendship between two young men from very different social strata, and how they can maintain their loyalty to one another as their world literally falls apart.

EPISODE 1 RECAP

http://www.dramabeans.com/2019/10/my-country-the-new-age-episode-1/

EPISODE 2 RECAP

http://www.dramabeans.com/2019/10/my-country-the-new-age-episode-2/

Country01-00544.jpg

Country02-00040.jpg

• Like 3