[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] Lucky First Love 世界欠我一个初恋

sugarplum892

2 hours ago, themarchioness said:

If a drama has the material to sustain its story, I don't actually care how long it is - it can be as long as it'd like to be so long as it remains interesting, engaging, and relevant.  Like you and I have previously discussed in the GYH thread, I wouldn't have minded more there and that drama was already 35 episodes long.  Conversely, I recently watched My GF is an Alien and, while it's not that I didn't like it, I did feel it got incredibly repetitive midway through and could've been cut short by several episodes.  That's why even though it was 28 episodes, in my memory, I keep thinking of it as a 44-episode drama because it felt that way (to me, at least.  I'm sure there are others who would disagree).  :P 

:lol: So funny because My Girlfriend is An Alien was exactly the drama I was thinking of!  i just finished it a couple of weeks and I feel they could have cut a good 4 or 6 episodes from that drama and it wouldn't have made much difference to the story.  I totally know what you mean about it feeling like a 44 episode drama and the repetitiveness of the middle episodes.  It was complete fluff with a thin plot and characters that was dragged on unnecessarily to 28 episodes IMO.

2 hours ago, themarchioness said:

Fortunately, Lucky's First Love has kept things brisk so far (disclaimer: I'm only halfway through) and I'm rolling right along.  Hoping the second half of the drama keeps it up!

I hope it can keep it up! I have had that good feeling about so many C-drams only for them to go and fall apart in the second half.  I have just finished episode 1 and I really, really like it so far! :D

4 hours ago, raziela said:

So funny because My Girlfriend is An Alien was exactly the drama I was thinking of!  . . . It was complete fluff with a thin plot and characters that was dragged on unnecessarily to 28 episodes IMO.

LOL, fist bump @raziela;)  Totally felt the same way about that drama. 

4 hours ago, raziela said:

I have had that good feeling about so many C-drams only for them to go and fall apart in the second half.  I have just finished episode 1 and I really, really like it so far!

That is also true, sadly (the falling apart in the second half bit).  Fingers crossed that won't be the case here.  Just watched through episode 14 tonight and I swear, the OTP wants me to bring out my bracket ranting.  :P 

23 hours ago, themarchioness said:

LOL, fist bump @raziela;)  Totally felt the same way about that drama. 

Awww fist bumps will always remind me of you and Gank Your Heart now :D

23 hours ago, themarchioness said:

That is also true, sadly (the falling apart in the second half bit).  Fingers crossed that won't be the case here.  Just watched through episode 14 tonight and I swear, the OTP wants me to bring out my bracket ranting.  :P 

Crossing my fingers too. On episode 3 now and I have such a positive feeling about this drama.  It's laugh out loud funny and already has some very sweet moments.  The female lead is naive but resourceful and smart and male lead is your typical overbearing boss but isn't unbearable like some dramas and obviously cares for the female lead, family and his staff.  He's still kind of a d!ck but he's mild compared to some of the bosses in these types of dramas.  They have great chemistry together too. The supporting cast are all great and I am loving Yun's adorable co-workers and parents.

At the moment the only character I dislike is the male lead's playboy best friend.

Uh oh! f you are feeling like bracket ranting I bet I have some serious frustration on the way.  He seemed quite nice at first but I am guessing this situation with the sister's ex-husband is going to be a mess.

Only downside so far is that rag doll wig.... it was bad in the stills but watching it onscreen is just... no words... They legit didn't even try. 

Thanks for the stills @angelangie!

2 hours ago, raziela said:

Awww fist bumps will always remind me of you and Gank Your Heart now 

:joy: 

Speaking of things that remind us of GYH, in Episode 17, Xia Ke and one of his managers go to speak with their TIG employees and in his speech, the manager uses the phrase, "Nie Pan Chong Sheng," which is the second half of the Phoenix team's motto.  In Episode 19 (or 18, but pretty sure it's 19), Xing Yun's father describes himself as "Bao Dao Wei Lao," which was an idiom also used several times in GYH - usually in reference to Sun Ge and him staying competitive as a player.

At the moment the only character I dislike is the male lead's playboy best friend.

He didn't bother me so much initially because his character is so obvious (and fortunately, Xing Yun feels the same), but towards the middle when he really started laying things on thick and was like an unshakable lobster whose claws were locked on tight, I found him annoying then.  The good news is it's short lived and now that he's getting a dose of his own medicine, I find his scenes entertaining to watch again.

The female lead is naive but resourceful and smart and male lead is your typical overbearing boss but isn't unbearable like some dramas and obviously cares for the female lead, family and his staff.

I really like Xing Yun's resourcefulness as well.  It's always great to see a strong FL character.  And I think the reason Xia Ke feels tolerable despite his "ba dao zong cai" character is because the drama does a good job balancing out his bossy moments with plenty of other scenes where we see him actually going out of his way to help his employees, and especially Xing Yu.  I'm glad you're enjoying the drama so far! 

Uh oh! f you are feeling like bracket ranting I bet I have some serious frustration on the way. 

Haha, don't worry.  My bracket ranting was more along the lines of, "FIGURE IT OUT ALREADY OTP!"  So frustrating to see them clearly interested in each other and yet letting their cluelessness, insecurities and misunderstandings get in the way.  There is one part especially that I was groaning hard through, but I'll let you figure out which part that may be by waiting for you to get there.  ;) 

Only downside so far is that rag doll wig.... it was bad in the stills but watching it onscreen is just... no words... They legit didn't even try. 

LOLOLOL, I showed a pic of it to my friend and her response was, "You do realize that this drama will from now on be known as The Wig Drama," and that is indeed how we now refer to it.  :lol:  I suppose the good thing about the wig is, we know the OTP's love is true.  Because only a man truly in love would love a woman with hair like that.  Hahahaha!  :P 

On 10/17/2019 at 5:38 AM, themarchioness said:

Speaking of things that remind us of GYH, in Episode 17, Xia Ke and one of his managers go to speak with their TIG employees and in his speech, the manager uses the phrase, "Nie Pan Chong Sheng," which is the second half of the Phoenix team's motto.  In Episode 19 (or 18, but pretty sure it's 19), Xing Yun's father describes himself as "Bao Dao Wei Lao," which was an idiom also used several times in GYH - usually in reference to Sun Ge and him staying competitive as a player.

What does this mean, please?

I love Xing Yun's parents by the way.  They are relationship goals!

He didn't bother me so much initially because his character is so obvious (and fortunately, Xing Yun feels the same), but towards the middle when he really started laying things on thick and was like an unshakable lobster whose claws were locked on tight, I found him annoying then.  The good news is it's short lived and now that he's getting a dose of his own medicine, I find his scenes entertaining to watch again.

He hasn't appeared in the drama much so far but I am just biased against him because of the way he treated that first girl and his horrific outfit in the club during his first appearance: sequinned Snow White jumper and little boy shorts. Just no!

LOLOLOL, I showed a pic of it to my friend and her response was, "You do realize that this drama will from now on be known as The Wig Drama," and that is indeed how we now refer to it.  :lol:  I suppose the good thing about the wig is, we know the OTP's love is true.  Because only a man truly in love would love a woman with hair like that.  Hahahaha!  :P 

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Regarding Chu Nan

I have just finished episode 6 and he is complete and utter garbage.  I hope that is the last we see of that cowardly, manipulative selfish jerk.

39 minutes ago, raziela said:
On 10/17/2019 at 12:38 AM, themarchioness said:

What does this mean, please?

I love Xing Yun's parents by the way.  They are relationship goals!

Bao Dao Wei Lao, literally, means a treasured knife that does not age.  It's an idiom for saying someone is still old but vigorous.  So, in the context of GYH and Sun Ge, it was saying he may have been an older player but his skills and hand movements were still sharp enough to keep up with the competitive crowd.  In Lucky's First Love, the dad used it because he was sure he'd heard something and his wife kept telling him he was old and hearing things (because she and Xing Yun didn't want him to hear what he kept hearing).  When he realized he was right, he said he was "bao dao wei lao."

"Nie pan" means nirvana and "chong sheng" means rebirth, so it's basically referring to starting anew.  In Lucky's First Love the company had run into difficulties so the manager was encouraging the employees to dig down and start over now that they had gotten over rough patches.  

I like her Xing Yun's parents a lot too; they're a hoot!

46 minutes ago, raziela said:

and his horrific outfit in the club during his first appearance: sequinned Snow White jumper and little boy shorts. Just no!

:lol:  I have to admit that I don't remember that, but I'm now feeling an urgent need to rewatch that scene!  

11 hours ago, themarchioness said:

Bao Dao Wei Lao, literally, means a treasured knife that does not age.  It's an idiom for saying someone is still old but vigorous.  So, in the context of GYH and Sun Ge, it was saying he may have been an older player but his skills and hand movements were still sharp enough to keep up with the competitive crowd.  In Lucky's First Love, the dad used it because he was sure he'd heard something and his wife kept telling him he was old and hearing things (because she and Xing Yun didn't want him to hear what he kept hearing).  When he realized he was right, he said he was "bao dao wei lao."

"Nie pan" means nirvana and "chong sheng" means rebirth, so it's basically referring to starting anew.  In Lucky's First Love the company had run into difficulties so the manager was encouraging the employees to dig down and start over now that they had gotten over rough patches.  

I like her Xing Yun's parents a lot too; they're a hoot!

Thank you for explaining.

They are adorable and hilarious.  Love that the flame is still burning bright after all these years.

11 hours ago, themarchioness said:

:lol:  I have to admit that I don't remember that, but I'm now feeling an urgent need to rewatch that scene!  

I actually paused and rewound because I couldn't believe what I was seeing! :lol:

OK...I've just finished episode 12.  I'm glad all the nonsense with the sister and her boring love interests is done with relatively early in the drama.  I wasn't interested or invested so I was fast forwarding through her scenes. Both guys are trash-just that Chu Nan was less trash than her ex-husband who is actual walking garbage.  At least, hopefully, Xia Ke has learned lesson about honesty and withholding information from the women in his life who have the right to know <_<

I'm hoping the second half will concentrate more on the leads and their romantic development.  I really like seeing their familiarity and closeness after all these years and Xia Ke's protectiveness.  I also enjoy the work scenes.  I appreciate how the drama shows there is a lot of work that goes into the development of the game and it isn't necessarily easy for XY especially working cross-department.  Her workplace-friends are so fun too!

Surprisingly, I really like the new female second lead who has a crush on Xia Ke.  She is a great character and very likeable!  I still don't really like his playboy friend but Xing Yun doesn't take him seriously either and just treats him like a minor annoyance.  

LOL @raziela I didn't not like Chu Nan, but I was similarly relieved that storyline was resolved quickly and early.  On to the OTP!  :P 

The second female lead who has a crush on Xia Ka was great and a refreshing change compared to the usual ilk.  I really like how she seemed to recognize that because she loved him, she just wanted him to be happy, even if that meant he ended up with someone other than her. 

I think you'll like the upcoming episodes... ;) 

• 2 weeks later...

Finished this fun drama this weekend.  Thank you to viki translators for the English subtitles  It was was fun and cute and I was glad they got their happy ending.  I'm grateful the drama was short and sweet and didn't outstay it's welsome. I did think the addition of Xia Ke's clingy ex in the last 4 episodes was unnecessary. Xing Yun's wig actually got worse as the drama went on as it looks like wardrobe were not taking good care of it and it was so dry and ratty by the end. That wig was pitiful:(

I think Xing Yun's lovely parents might be my favourite C-drama parents ever along with the parents from When We Were Young.  They were so warm, fun and supportive.

I was already a fan of Bai Lu but I liked Xing Zhao Lin here and will watch out for his other dramas (previously he didn't leave much of an impression on me in The Eternal Love) .  I would also like to see the actress who played Yao Ming again.  I liked her acting a lot and she is so pretty.  

18 hours ago, angelangie said:

i always mix up Zhang YuJian with Xing ZhaoLin they are not the same person right? ><"

I just checked and the other guy is the guy from Le Coup De Foudre so, nope, not the same guy :lol:

15 hours ago, angelangie said:

both look a lil similar to this auntie eyes lols

:joy:

13 hours ago, bluehibiscus said:

Hehe, I find Janice Wu Qian and Tang Yixin look very alike.

Funny you say that because Zhang YuJian and Janice Wu Qian are allegedly dating!

20 hours ago, raziela said:

I'm grateful the drama was short and sweet and didn't outstay it's welsome. I did think the addition of Xia Ke's clingy ex in the last 4 episodes was unnecessary.

Yay!  You finished.  I've been wondering if you had.  

LOL, not outstaying its welcome is a great way to put it.  I agree that the drama was a fun, breezy watch that kept things rolling along, which I really appreciated.  (Especially coming off the heels of My GF is an Alien, which I'd watched right before this one.  :P)  

I would also agree that the return of the ex was blech and something I could've done without. I did appreciate, however, that apart from the little pockets of self-doubt (and who could blame her, she's human after all), Xing Yun didn't let it bother her.  For example, when she took the bull by the horn at that networking event when the ex had purposely invited her there with the hopes of making her misunderstand and everyone else uncomfortable.  I was like, "You go girl!" when she just planted one on Xia Ke and told her, "That's a kiss!"  LOL.  Love her pluckiness.

6 hours ago, themarchioness said:

Yay!  You finished.  I've been wondering if you had.  

LOL, not outstaying its welcome is a great way to put it.  I agree that the drama was a fun, breezy watch that kept things rolling along, which I really appreciated.  (Especially coming off the heels of My GF is an Alien, which I'd watched right before this one.  :P)  

I would also agree that the return of the ex was blech and something I could've done without. I did appreciate, however, that apart from the little pockets of self-doubt (and who could blame her, she's human after all), Xing Yun didn't let it bother her.  For example, when she took the bull by the horn at that networking event when the ex had purposely invited her there with the hopes of making her misunderstand and everyone else uncomfortable.  I was like, "You go girl!" when she just planted one on Xia Ke and told her, "That's a kiss!"  LOL.  Love her pluckiness.

Yes, I really liked Xing Yun's attitude in the ex-girlfriend episode and that her main issue was more with Xia Ke withholding information rather than the ex-girlfriend's pathetic machinations and manipulations.

You know even though Xing Yun sometimes frustrated me with her drunk antics and wishy-washy attitude towards confirming the relationship I did appreciate her resourcefulness and pluck. I truly appreciated her after I started watching another C-drama called My Girlfriend whilst waiting for the translated episodes of this drama.  The "heroine" in that drama was too stupid for words. I was expecting character growth but 8 episodes into that drama and a toddler would have beat her in an IQ test and probably behave with more maturity. I gave up drama because I could not stomach the female protagonist any longer.  I really do not understand what is appealing about those type of infantilized female leads :vicx:

Archived