Quantcast
larus

[Drama 2019] The Devil Is Calling Your Name, 악마가 너의 이름을 부를 때

More photos from tvn...

Spoiler

Spoiler

Ooo... so he's from Namoo Actors, same agency like Lee Joon Gi. He's cute, hehe...

tvn Asia will start broadcast this series tomorrow and I can watch it on tv!

https://youtu.be/2IuGk4sGoPA

• Like 4

What on earth was that ending!! I watched about an hour of it live. Huaa3

Initial comments based in visuals: not digging the colours. It's too muted. But I guess it suits the drama tone? Haha

Some screenshots!

67596823_2388555444535242_78139840677701

• Like 3
  • Awesome 1

Posted (edited)

How am I going to juggle so many dramas  ? :w00t: 

Preview for ep 2

Edited by triplem
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

Lee El Transforms Into A Sharp, But Soft-Hearted Agency CEO For “When The Devil Calls Your Name”

Jul 31, 2019
by R. Jun

fedd642368844d879eda1a6dccf4b06e.jpeg?s=

Ahead of this week’s premiere of tvN’s new Wednesday-Thursday drama “When the Devil Calls Your Name,” actress Lee El revealed more about her character.

“When the Devil Calls Your Name” is a comic fantasy about a famous songwriter named Ha Rip (played by Jung Kyung Ho) who sells his soul to the devil in exchange for success. However, when he finds out that the deal came at the price of the talent and life of a young girl, he tries to set things right.

Lee El plays Ji Seo Young, the CEO of Ha Rip’s agency who also happens to be in love with the devil.

more https://www.soompi.com/article/1342371wpp/lee-el-transforms-into-a-sharp-but-soft-hearted-agency-ceo-for-when-the-devil-calls-your-name

Premiere Watch: When the Devil Calls Your Name

by stroopwafel

premwatch_devilcalls.jpeg

Time slot: Wednesday & Thursday
Broadcaster: tvN
Genre: Fantasy, comedy
Episode count: 16

This week we’ll be getting a reunion between Life on Mars costars Park Sung-woong and Jung Kyung-ho. However, this time they’ll be adversaries rather than allies as they’ll be portraying the devil and the man who sells his soul in this take on Goethe’s classic work, Faust. Jung Kyung-ho is a successful singer-songwriter who has it all, thanks to a little deal he made with the devil, Park Sung-woong. In exchange for his soul, the devil (whose human form is a beloved actor) gifted him with talent and luck to spare. But as the time on his contract begins to wind down, Jung develops seller’s remorse and schemes to keep his soul. Along the way, Jung Kyung-ho begins to realize the full ramifications of the deal he made with the devil. Though he reaped fortune and fame, his talent was stolen from a once-promising young singer-songwriter played by Lee Seol. While Jung tries to keep his soul, he’ll be attempting to right the wrongs done to Lee Seol. Lee El will join the cast as the CEO of Jung Kyung-ho’s management company and his most trusted partner. Look forward to laughs and ruminations on the value of life.

http://www.dramabeans.com/2019/07/premiere-watch-when-the-devil-calls-your-name/

• Like 5

So this has started? Great! I've just completed two dramas so I may come on board sooner rather than later.

I was just looking at the official trailer on YT and it actually looks solid. There's storytelling depth there and as usual JKH shows his versatility. I hope it delves into spiritual and existential issues in a substantive way.

The cast is indisputably top-notch. I'm excited. 

• Like 5
  • Love 2

Hello everyone hope you're doing well! I've just watched the 1st ep and it looks really promising (I watch all the ML dramas and I simply adore his acting) so I'm looking forward to see how everything will develop (and i hope each one of you will like it as much as me if not more) :D 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I hope to find some time to watch this later  but at least we know that this is not this season’s fashion trend :mrgreen:

Solid premiere ratings at 3%

Spoiler

• Like 3
  • LOL 3
  • Awesome 1

It's started! I'm fascinated by the tale of Faust and what it says about the human condition and ambition anyway, so I've been looking forward to this adaptation/interpretation! Plus, I'm excited about all of the cast! No one to give me pause in watching this drama. Anyway, enough spazzing before I've watched the first episode. I'm going to go and try to find a quiet corner so that I can watch uninterrupted. :D

• Like 3
  • Love 1

@stroppyse if you don’t mind & if time permits, give us some spoilers or simple recaps. I managed to watch the 1st 15 mins . Was good - JKH never fails 

...and the local audience love it too.  A lot of positive comments for the bromance ! 

credit https://melohwa.blogspot.com/2019/07/when-devil-calls-your-name-pilot-ep-1.html?m=1

Spoiler

Article: Naver 'When the Devil' Jung Kyung Ho dies before his contract with Park Sung Woong ends 

1. [+519,-3]
It's definitely interesting whenever Park Sung Woong and Jung Kyung Ho are together.  ㅋㄹㅋㄹㅋㄹㅋㅋㅋㅋ

2. [+396,-7]
I really like the two. Please do 'Life on Mars 2'. 

3. [+216,-6]
It feels like this will be a hit. It's interesting from the first episode. 

4. [+189,-6]
Jung Kyung Ho's acting is good, as expected. 

5. [+89,-0]
Believing and watching in Jung Kyung Ho's dramas~ ❤

6. [+47,-0]
When will they do 'Life on Mars 2'? ㅠㅠㅠㅠ

7. [+28,-0]
No, but why is he so good at acting as a 60-year-old man? ㅋㅋ

8. [+28,-0]
What's with the two? Their chemistry is good. Can't they do 'Life on Mars 2'....

9. [+28,-0]
Jung Kyung Ho's vocalizations are good. 

devil.png

Article: Naver 'When the Devil' Lee Seol sent Jung Kyung Ho to the hospital  but still dies 

1. [+56,-2]
As expected of Jung Kyung Ho!!! 

2. [+38,-3]
Celebrity Jung's acting skills are really insane, right? 

3. [+32,-7]
This is what you call acting. Not what idols who can't act are doing. 

4. [+11,-1]
I thought it was kind of boring at first, but it got more interesting in the middle. Park Sung Woong matches his role as a devil well. 

5. [+8,-0]
The chemistry between actors Jung Kyung Ho and Park Sung Woong is out of this world. 

6. [+3,-0]
Park Sung Woong and Jung Kyung Ho have already proven how good their chemistry is in 'Life on Mars'. Let this drama be a hit, and make 'Life on Mars 2'. 

7. [+25,-6]
It's interesting. 

• Like 3

“When The Devil Calls Your Name” Premieres To No. 1 Ratings

Aug 1, 2019
by E. Cha
7052d098e94148d788eba4d0e3d47a9e.jpeg?s=

tvN’s “When the Devil Calls Your Name” is off to an impressive start!

“When the Devil Calls Your Name” is a new fantasy drama about a famous songwriter (played by Jung Kyung Ho) who sells his soul to the devil (played by Park Sung Woong) in exchange for success. However, after learning that his success came at the cost of the life and talent of a young girl, he sets out to make things right for her, himself, and those around him.

According to Nielsen Korea, the drama premiered to strong viewership ratings on July 31, beating the premiere ratings of its predecessor “Search: WWW,” which previously occupied the same time slot. The first episode of “When the Devil Calls Your Name” scored an average rating of 3.1 percent and a peak of 3.7 percent nationwide, while “Search: WWW” premiered to an average rating of 2.4 percent back in June.

Additionally, “The Devil Calls Your Name” took first place in its time slot across all channels among the key demographic of viewers ages 20 to 49, scoring an average rating of 2.5 percent and a peak of 3.0 percent nationwide.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1342675wpp/when-the-devil-calls-your-name-premieres-to-no-1-ratings
  • Like 4

I'm gonna wait until it's available on tvn asia to watch this with subs. I read the episodes will be released a day after the original broadcast. Yay. Hopefully it will look great on a tv screen.

I really want to like this as everyone else seems to be. I watched ep 1 raw however I'm not a fan of the colours. It's too muted and kinda washed out to me. It will take time for me to get used to. My recent dramas watches are more vibrant and bright.

Imo, PSW stood out most in ep 1. He looked scary when he changed and his character is quite extra. I've come to a point that I like characters who are extra and villains are just more appealing. Hahaha

• Like 3

This drama is just so good. @triplem , here is a quick mini recap of ep 1 under the spoiler for those who don't want to be spoiled. Fair warning, since I wrote this up as a brief summary, I didn't necessarily follow the sequence as shown in the episode.

Spoiler

JKH plays Ha Rip, a popular composer and songwriter who writes hits for the talent at his agency which is run by Ji Seo Young played by Lee El. However, he had originally been a guitarist named Seo Dong Cheon in a 2 man group with a vocalist. The vocalist had gone on to greater fame, but SDC's music was called too ahead of its time, which SDC bitterly remarks just means that no one is listening to it. So, SDC finds himself 60 years old, alone, broke, and the final straw is that he's mugged.

He wakes to find an old man who offers him a literal deal with the devil, explicitly mentioning that it's a Faustian deal. The devil offers him 10 years of anything he wants in exchange for SDC's soul, commenting that plenty of other people had made their deals with the devil which is why so many people commit crimes with impunity and still enjoy success. SDC figures he has nothing to lose, so he asks for money, fame, talent, and youth. SDC then transforms into HR, a young, handsome man who is much lauded for his songs and compositions.

HR is riding high for almost the ten years, but then he's reminded of the contract he signed. However, HR is unwilling to keep his side of the bargain. He goes to argue with the old man who is actually Chairman Song of a chaebol group. But when HR starts to argue, Chairman Song just laughs at him, but then jumps off a building and falls to his death.

HR thinks that is the end of the contract, and goes and burns it. However, much later on, he finds the contract intact. He's also visited by a famous actor, Mo Tae Kyung who is played by Park Sung Woong. MTK is actually the human manifestation of the devil himself, and he says that he showed himself to HR 4 days earlier than the contract called for because HR had wanted to see him so much. HR asks who Chairman Song was then, and MTK tells him that he was just a stand in because MTK was so busy. MTK reminds HR that he only has 4 more days until he has to fulfill his contract.

HR at one point gets drunk as he's contemplating his contract, so JSY calls him a substitute driver to drive HR home in his car. The driver of the car is Kim Yi Kyung played by Yi Seol. As they're riding in the car, HR's song from when he was SDC comes on and KYK talks about how she really likes this song and thinks it's genius. HR in his drunken state starts to play air guitar to his old song, at one point murmuring to himself that if he had met someone like KYK who recognized his music earlier that he wouldn't have bothered to make the deal with the devil. Unfortunately, KYK takes HR's exuberant air guitar as an assault on her and hits him back, causing him to pass out and having to go to the hospital.

Later, HR and JSY go out again to a bar where coincidentally KYK is playing a guitar. She's given up trying to be a musician, but occasionally plays open mike nights. She shyly asks if it's okay to play one of her own compositions, then starts to play it. Unfortunately, the song is one that HR had written and had been released as a single by an idol named Shi Ho. HR is outraged as is the crowd that KYK is claiming that she had written the song. There is a confrontation between HR and KYK, where KYK cries why it always happens to her and whether HR is able to read her mind, basically saying that all of her songs had been claimed by HR. HR asks her if she's calling him a plagiarist, while JSY just asks whether KYK has any evidence that she had written the songs first.

Later on, HR does an internet search where he realizes that he's actually been called a plagiarist online a lot and becomes upset. KYK is just upset that bad things keep happening to her, derailing her dreams.

The episode ends with HR being attacked by a mysterious assailant in black at his gate, and bleeding profusely from a head wound. He's found by KYK who had gone to his house to argue with him. When she finds him, she flashes back to the death of a man who I think may have been her own father who died from a bloody head wound as well. HR is taken to a hospital.

So, one of the things that I didn't mention in the summary is that HR's speaking style changes when he's HR versus when he's SDC, and also the episode starts with a commentary by HR about his "friend" who comes to him in all guises and that a lot of people would want for a friend. It's not entirely clear who the "friend" that he's referring to is. I had first thought that it was a reference to the devil, but don't think so any more.

The episode was beautifully shot, and with the dark palette, definitely had a noir-ish feel to it. PSW and JKH has as much chemistry as antagonists as they did as comrades in Life on Mars, possibly even more. The energy between them almost crackles as the devilish Ryu (MTK's devil name) is amused by the human being who really doesn't know who he's up against even though he had signed the contract and reaped the benefits, and HR who is slowly starting to understand the power of his adversary, but also realizing that perhaps his soul is precious to him after all. It's a nice set up, and even more so with KYK who is going to really force HR to look at himself and what he has willingly become.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, stroppyse said:

episode starts with a commentary by HR about his "friend" who comes to him in all guises and that a lot of people would want for a friend. It's not entirely clear who the "friend" that he's referring to is. I had first thought that it was a reference to the devil, but don't think so any more.

Thanks for the recaps . :heart:

Initially I thought that man / being who keeps changing form isn't actually a person but it just represents the creative process and emotions that he goes through , as in they aren't literally human beings. But by the end of the episode when he read online that he was constantly plagiarising other people's work , it struck me that the devil sent these inspirations to help him write his hit songs.  And since the devil  is not able to create from scratch , he steals the ideas of other writers and "inspires" HR with them.  So I can now see why KYK was so surprised that her song  was being sung by the idol  , and  HR is adamant that he wrote that song ( which he did of course) but the ideas aren't his to begin with. 

So I am guessing with his 2nd death at the end of the episode he will negotiate terms with Ryu again in order to stay alive. But it looks like CEO ( Lee El ) is dating Ryu or rather MTK based on the photo in the preview. IT was shown here in eps 2  at 1:43

Spoiler

--------

Oh my will there be romance in this drama? :D I just wanted to post this from eps 2 because I love how JKH walks slo mo :lol:

Edited by triplem
  • Like 5

Glad that another good drama to replace my Wed-Thurs "Search: WWW" so that my Thur and Fri will still be occupied

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

50 minutes ago, triplem said:

Oh my will there be romance in this drama? :D I just wanted to post this from eps 2 because I love how JKH walks slo mo 

I am okay with romance.. this is tvN after all. But that draping of jacket wasn’t really necessary, I think :P considering she has wings and dressed quite properly, not torn/wet clothes :lol: (must insert a drama trope)

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

On 7/31/2019 at 6:10 PM, triplem said:

How am I going to juggle so many dramas  ? :w00t: 

Seriously, why is life so hard on us?:tears:

I have already four dramas and it's my limit, but damn the gorgeous gifsets everywhere are so tempting! :w00t:  

Maybe i can just have a taste  of it while trying  to not love it too much.:mrgreen:

21 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

So this has started? Great! I've just completed two dramas so I may come on board sooner rather than later.

I was just looking at the official trailer on YT and it actually looks solid. There's storytelling depth there and as usual JKH shows his versatility. I hope it delves into spiritual and existential issues in a substantive way.

The cast is indisputably top-notch. I'm excited. 

I'm totally in for "the spiritual and existential issues in a substantive way":w00t: You're selling it better than Tvn!  

My hope relies all  on our two brilliant main leads who know very well that the expectations are high for their return project together,  even more since i know nothing about the writers (the PD did Circle which i really enjoyed).

Lee Seol was stellar in Less Than Evil.:heart:

I'll keep eye on this thread even though my heart belongs to Watcher (that's a fun version of two timing! :mrgreen:).

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

Watch both episodes already  Got my attention and I'm always up for the fantasy genre :).

• Like 2

10 hours ago, triplem said:

Oh my will there be romance in this drama? :D 

Isn't Jung Kyung Ho's character a grandpa? Because of this I don't buy any romance. Or is my understanding incorrect? Hahaha

• LOL 4