• Created
  • Last Reply

HYKJBCD1EJXWIL6DJJVY_1024x0.jpg

ZV4ZJWSOARQLXDOLFBJ4.jpg

On this street where you left, I’m all alone

Now I can’t see your beautiful smile

You were like an oasis in the desert

Your small voice made me smile

Am I the only one who thinks nothing changed?

Only the streetlights shine on me

On the street where the last bus left, I’m all alone

Even the mountain birds that cried all night have left

On this street where you left, I’m all alone

Now I can’t see your beautiful smile

You were like an oasis in the desert

Your small voice made me smile

Am I the only one who thinks nothing changed?

Only the streetlights shine on me

Come back to me

My dear, hurry back

Before another season comes

Link

LNRL4LIHHVE4APD3DCLS.jpg

PHOTO gallery

So I’m not sure if I’m ever going to get over my deep dissatisfaction with Lucca’s character :D

My brain just keeps going back to Lucca! I GET that he loves his father, but I can’t believe he like, never really felt all that conflicted about loving his father DESPITE THE FACT THAT HIS FATHER MADE SOMEONE ELSE SIGN OFF THEIR SOUL in order to save him? 

Honestly, if my father did this to another human being... Even if it was for my sake, I think I would have a good amount of trouble loving/accepting my father afterwards. And again, it wasn’t just a random person’s soul—it was the soul of the girl he LIKED! 

In a way, I feel kind of indifferent about the finale. After being disappointed so many times, I didn’t have the highest of expectations for the finale. It wasn’t the best or worst ending. BESIDES Lucca, it was kinda just whatever to me. 

I was happy that YK and HR/SDC got their souls back. I was happy that LCR got thrown in jail. I was not happy to see that LCR ended up at the top of the prison hierarchy. I was happy that CEO Ji/Seo Young seemed to be relatively at peace. I was not happy to see that one crazy dude show up again to become a judge. 

I was sad to see Ryu go and Mo Tae Kang return. Wait omg everyone—I loved it when Ryu sang for CEO Ji. I cried!!!

I thought I had more to say... 

The desert scene was like a visual shock to my system lol. It was nice to look at, but it kind of felt like it came out of nowhere. I thought it was kind of incongruous with the rest of the show, but I’m assuming they had the greater purpose in mind for that scene (which I obviously missed), so whatever I guess. It was just kinda funny, you know, cause like... all of a sudden HR was in the desert lol. with his insanely chapped lips. (would have made for a great product placement lip balm scene) 

Oh! It was also kind of weird when YK got her soul back. I thought she was going to have more of a reflective moment with like, a bunch of soulless Kelly flashbacks, but then it was more of a “oh I got my soul back. gotta retire from the music industry now.” 

I’m glad it’s over. It wasn’t the best, but it wasn’t the worst. I can’t say I don’t regret watching it at all, but at least the soundtrack was phenomenal! 

i finally got to watch ep 16 with eng subs.. and the ending was quite acceptable to me actually :) everything ended nicely in place.. 

Ryu returned the remaining 3 souls in his apartment.. MTK, YG and CR.. and i laughed out loud when until the end, CR chose to live soullessly as a devilish human in the prison (he slammed his poor soul, ouch!)

5 hours ago, peachfuzz said:

I was sad to see Ryu go and Mo Tae Kang return. Wait omg everyone—I loved it when Ryu sang for CEO Ji. I cried!!!

this scene was really touching! its Ryu’s last goodbye to SY and i think he did it perfectly.. its not one with regrets and sadness cos he plucked out his courage to sing.. something he was not good at but took the effort to learn (he went off tune on the high and SY laughed) and presented it to SY with affection :wub: for this, i was glad that SY didn’t choose to get back together with the real MTK at the cafe when he offered to wait for her.. haha :lol: Ryu is definitely a better choice!

there was actually a time lapse of 1yr for YG to come back and another 1yr more for her mom to be released from her sentence.. so SDC went missing for a good 2yrs or so to reappear, in the same cafe as the fishcake uncle.. thats really a good way of linking up the whole plot :rolleyes: even with the little part of getting the money from the redevelopment of his old house.

in conclusion, this final episode has much more songs that touch the hearts and souls of us audience :tears: since now we can relate the feelings of the songs much better with the details of the drama..

thanks chingus for the time spent and thoughts sharing here!! its been a nice ride on the devil’s wagon!! :wub:

When the Devil Calls Your Name: Episode 15

by LollyPip

Devil15-00295.jpg

It’s time to pay the piper, both for our wayward musician and his demonic frenemy. Their reactions to their fates are very different, yet they still manage to commiserate over a deity that hardly seems interested in fairness. Ha Rib decides to take his fate into his own hands and spare his loved ones.

EPISODE 15 RECAP

http://www.dramabeans.com/2019/09/when-the-devil-calls-your-name-episode-15/

When the Devil Calls Your Name: Episode 16 (Final)

by LollyPip

Devil16-00099.jpg

With his time running out and his goodbyes all said, our hero makes the only choice he can to protect those he loves from himself. He’s finally learned to accept his wrongdoings and his punishment, but with loose souls floating all around the world, his story isn’t nearly over.

EPISODE 16 RECAP

more http://www.dramabeans.com/2019/09/when-the-devil-calls-your-name-episode-16-final/

I'm back for a bit now that I'm on holidays for a couple of weeks... ;)

The show does too good a job showing how good human beings are at making things more complicated than they need to be. Episode 13 was exasperating and but the last 3 were a decent resolution and wrap up. At least it all made sense unlike some other esoteric dramas I've seen that were hastily completed. I'm satisfied enough with the ending... with all the ideas that were up for grabs, in the end this is about the exercise of free will and the ability of humans to do the right thing when push comes to shove.

There's a part of me that thinks that the overall execution could have been better but the writer and the PD had a story they wanted to tell and to their credit, they stuck to their guns and told it. I can't fault the consistency of the vision and the world building because it intrigued me well enough. However, the show runners were insistent on taking things to their logical extreme consequences ... for dramatic purposes, I imagine... so that the audience would feel the losses more acutely. I don't think it worked entirely but it was fun to see YG turn into catty prima donna.

This is essentially a big ideas drama. Those have their place but it's hard to give good character development to everyone especially those in the lower rungs of the food chain. Lucca, for instance, was largely a plot device... a chess piece to get HR/SDC to act in desperation and stupidity. YG had Mary Sue tendencies and she was for the most part a catalyst to HR becoming a slightly better person even when he himself was unaware of it. She had her part to play even while she was navigating the dysfunction of her own family life. My opinion is that the show was largely about Educating Ryu and to a lesser extent, SDC. I don't doubt for a moment God could have stepped in at anytime before the events that took place unfolded but I believe Ryu had to see for himself how limited his knowledge and understanding of humans was. He wanted to disrupt but like a child, he had partial knowledge based on observations but lacked wisdom in how he understood the world in which humans inhabited. While he may have thought that God was being petty, a counter argument could be made that God was really allowing human beings (and even fallen angels) the freedom to live out the consequences of their choices and to face up to them.

Choices... have serious consequences. Not just for the person who makes them but for others who are impacted by them.  HR needed to learn that it wasn't just a matter of him asking YG to give up her soul to save Lucca and all would be well but that he would lose the YG that he liked. He was looking for a quick fix without truly understanding that the universe is a much bigger place than he is.

At the end of the day, one could interpret the results as God being merciful because Lucca got to live and everyone else got back the better parts of themselves as well as a shot at redemption. Everyone except for Chang Ryul. :P

There were certainly lessons to glean from his. Lucca's mother highlighted perhaps the most important one... the lack of honesty between suffering souls tears them apart. When people don't communicate what they're really thinking and feeling, they end up not only hurting one another but themselves. We have a ridiculous tendency to complicate matters unnecessarily by our stubbornness, pride and greed.

The desert sequence was also instructive. I thought it appropriate that HR chose to wander in the desert... sometimes called the wilderness... as he braced himself for the loss of his soul and its ramifications. He made a striking comment to Ryu about being fearful about losing his soul but in actual fact was more in tune with his soul than ever before. The wilderness is a great biblical metaphor for loss and aimlessness. HR had been in a wilderness of his own making for the last 10 years despite all the success and the wealth he enjoyed from it. He just didn't know it. He was on top of the world... thought he was untouchable and unstoppable because of the contract. But there was always a hefty price tag attached although he continually postponed any thought of it repeatedly.

In the end the show went for an open-ended happily ever after resolution that made sense. I'm pleased that my wish for Right Atrium and Left Ventricle was fulfilled. I also loved the fact that HR chose to live as SDC at least in public... because my view is that although some good did come of those 10 years, it was largely a lie. Even while he had hit rock bottom as SDC, he was at least true to himself, writing and singing the music he wanted to. 

Archived