Quantcast
larus

[Drama 2019] The Devil Is Calling Your Name, 악마가 너의 이름을 부를 때

I am so mad at Ha Rip right now...I just watch some of the cuts on YT.

So of course  HR begs ( not even very nicely if you ask me ) to save Lucca.. What pissed me off big time was that this felt like history repeating herself for Yi Kyung - why is her life/ soul  any less valuable than another person's ? The way HR put it - she's done it for her brother before she can do it again.  I am speechless...being the kind and pure hearted soul , she did ...urgh and saved Lucca. By the way she knows now that HR is ahjussi. A couple of eps back , I was still alright if they decided to pursue the romance, but after tonight , that ain't gonna happen . I wouldn't want her to end up with a man who thinks that her soul can be used as barter for someone else's 

Spoiler

So after she sold her soul ...YK became cold and lifeless...this scene was so sad.  She greeted him as ahjussi. Asked how he has been. She told him she missed him  towards the end- she was really seething with anger of course. You can see the regret on HR's face. 

Spoiler

Her father has recovered...but no more nice girl YK...she tells her family off and makes her father beg for forgiveness

Spoiler

Wow she's really changed...shocks both HR and CEO with her atttitude. She demands for stuff and behaves like a diva.

This scene was so darn sad. Lucca came to look for HR. YK had told him earlier that HR is SDC, and that he sold his soul for him ( if I am not mistaken). Lucca does not really tell HR but he just tears up apologising to HR for putting him through so much pain....I could not hold back my tears here ; most moving scene tonight IMO

Oh no something has been reset...Ryu's driver dies in a car accident and meets his daughter? 

Spoiler

Gosh, the preview shows Lucca going to see Ryu...is he trying to trade his own life for YK and HR's ?

Edited by triplem
  • Like 4
  • Love 3
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 3

@triplem

I’ve also only had the chance to skim the episode so far but after reading your post, I immediately felt like I needed to say something because I totally share your anger for HR right now. 

The scene where he pressured YK to sign the contract was so UGLY. HR was truly truly despicable in that moment.. Ah. I need something pure and fluffy to soothe my livid soul. 

I thought the same dang thing. I hated how HR became like all the others who severely undervalued YK’s life and reduced her to just a means to save his son’s life. I know he loves his son, but... 

I also really wanted HR and YK to be together a few episodes back, but now I do not want them to be together at all! Even after everything is resolved, I don’t want the two to be together. YK deserves someone who doesn’t treat her soul like an object. I know he’s trying to undo the situation now, but... what’s done has been done. I’m so mad lol. 

And! Lucca has also been hurt in this entire process! Nobody is winning! E v e r y o n e is losing! 

• Sad 1
  • Love 4
  • Insightful 1

@peachfuzz I hope I am not jumping the gun at being so mad with HR - hope the subs will give more clarity.  But the bottom line is that poor YK is again the sacrificial lamb and then seeing her end up like this - cold and ruthless - is terribly unfair to the poor girl. 

Edited by triplem
  • Like 5
  • Love 1

@triplem

It seems that HR will not become an old, poor SDC anymore. However, I think the writer who let YG lose her soul is good, those who used to hurt YG just ignore or feel guilty but they never intended to do anything to apologize or comfort her properly. They need to understand the pain that YG has suffered over the years. 
HR has benefited everything for the past 10 years, it's time for him to repay and repent deeply.

Near the end of the episode, it seemed that HR begged Ryu, but Ryu forced HR to choose between Lucca and YG.
I will hope to wait for romance in the last 3 episodes, because apart from the selfish love for Lucca, HR is still a good person.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, triplem said:

So of course  HR begs ( not even very nicely if you ask me ) to save Lucca.. What pissed me off big time was that this felt like history repeating herself for Yi Kyung - why is her life/ soul  any less valuable than another person's ? The way HR put it - she's done it for her brother before she can do it again.  I am speechless...being the kind and pure hearted soul , she did ...urgh and saved Lucca. By the way she knows now that HR is ahjussi. A couple of eps back , I was still alright if they decided to pursue the romance, but after tonight , that ain't gonna happen . I wouldn't want her to end up with a man who thinks that her soul can be used as barter for someone else's 

Yea talk about lost in translation.  I think  it was more she had 4 wishes and he can use it on brother, her friend..  Although, it was still pretty bad when he straight out say her soul was worthless so minus points for that.

I'm mad, but there are many stories like that.  You save your close ones first, make the bad guy think you surrender, then find solution as you go.  As long as it was always in the plan to save her somehow it would of been more easily forgivable.

• Like 6

@romance06

I did like how all the negative feelings YK might have suppressed came out today :D While I felt terrible for her, I found her brutal honesty satisfying and refreshing. To an extent, it’s quite admirable of YK to care for others so dearly and deeply, but it’s about time she speaks up for herself, I think. And like you said, it’s time for everyone else to realize how much YK has been hurting all these years... 

I know HR didn’t necessarily see her JUST as a tool to revive his son and didn’t intend to ruin her or anything, but he’s rubbed me the wrong way today lol. I guess desperation can do that. I will wait for a better HR to show up (hopefully in the next episode). As for now, I don’t approve of him for YK hahaha. 

• Like 7
  • Love 1

hii chingus :kiss_wink: i haven’t watched the eng sub episode yet.. will wait for both episodes to be available then watch them on friday night haha!

but seeing the comments and clips, the whole plot just gets messier and messier.. with only 3 episodes left, i dunno how the whole storyline is going to tie up all the loose ends and end in a satisfactory way :sweat: is the deity going to reset everything back to 10yrs ago before SDC sold off his soul to Ryu? i mean, this kind of ending did happen previously in A Miracle That We Met.. :sweat_smile:

• Like 6

18 hours ago, romance06 said:

It seems that HR will not become an old, poor SDC anymore. However, I think the writer who let YG lose her soul is good, those who used to hurt YG just ignore or feel guilty but they never intended to do anything to apologize or comfort her properly. They need to understand the pain that YG has suffered over the years. 
HR has benefited everything for the past 10 years, it's time for him to repay and repent deeply.

Surprisingly like @peachfuzz , I like the soulless Yi Kyung  too :lol:. For the 1st time , she's standing up for herself and no longer lets anyone take advantage of her kindness. Sure she's a nightmare for Ha Rip but I agree this is his moment to regret and repent. Honestly everything is on him...all that has happened to her and what has become of her is completely on him. Whether unintentionally 10 years ago when he stole the wedding money leading to her being called his accomplice to now where he practically begged her to sell her soul to save Lucca, he is responsible for it all. He can't even blame the loss of conscience because the tricky Ryu never took it away - proving to Ha Rip that at his core , he is selfish and self-centred. While it is true that he did this out of love for his son, it came at Yi Kyung's expense. 

14 hours ago, phoenix24 said:

ea talk about lost in translation.  I think  it was more she had 4 wishes and he can use it on brother, her friend..  Although, it was still pretty bad when he straight out say her soul was worthless so minus points for that.

Lol! Yes , definitely lost in translation on my part. But the moment he said she was worthless , I know that there's really no turning back for them. I thought that short moment there when she spoke to him at the hospital hallway was so painful . SDC , the ahjussi she looked up to was a coward who forgot about her and had no qualms using her. :tears:

I didn't get why Ryu's driver had to be killed off...is it a message that he would be better off in the after life? Was it his punishment ?  But shouldn't the message be that as humans , we should be striving to live our best life here and not be chained by our past? 

Edited by triplem
  • Like 3
  • Insightful 4

I have a question about the soul of LCR... I thought he only had 3 more days. It’s passed right? So what is happening with him?

• Like 4

Hi all

I have a question....so is Yi Kyung’s singing voice in the drama Lee Seol’s or Sondia’s???

Edited by bibianni19
  • Like 3

Going through some cuts for tonight...so looks like LCR is making life hard for CEO ji and Ha Rip. This as per preview is where she quits the company

Spoiler

Soul Entertainment was built by both JSY and HR - flashback to 10years ago to how they both came together to start the agency

Spoiler

Soulless Kelly is hard to work with ...Lucca realises the change in YK and deduces that she sold her soul

Spoiler

As per preview , Lucca goes to Ryu and begs the latter to return YK and HR 's souls...doubt Ryu agreed

HR comes and look for Lucca , gives him air ticket to leave SK

Spoiler

YK is becoming a handful for HR. Seems she was angry for her bestie being blackmailed , goes to see the ex and threatens to beat him up...lots of people start to take photos / vids . HR quickly intervenes and takes the bat from her and starts to threaten the ex instead ( a way to deflect attention from YK. Think at the end he managed to get the ex to give up the video and apologise

Sadly some things don't change - YK's step dad is still the abusive scum he used to be...he should have died. :rage:

Spoiler

To be continued....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I'm watching ep 13 and half way through. This ep annoys me so much.

I always said I disliked Ha Rip as a character. This ep made me despise him. He made/forced Yi Kyung to sign that dang contract at his own will! Gosh.

Ha Rip has a lot to do to redeem himself. But it's already ep 13. Methinks it's too late to make any redemption feel satisfactory.

I have no clue where this drama is heading and what is in store for the ending. Huuuuuu

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

Continuing with eps 14 cuts...a number of scenes with HR and fish cake ahjussi , HR and the devil which I won't post here.

But what is clear is that both father and son are trying to save YK...they try to appeal to her conscience and emotions. Does not seem to be working....but I think maybe not all is lost ...the fact that YK went back to SDC's old house , her microhabitat could mean she's searching for a safe place. 

YK is looking for a bigger more expensive place to stay...Lucca comes to see her but she shuts him off

Spoiler

Lol! Maybe love can save Ryu and stop him on this path of destruction :lol:

Spoiler

So i think the deity is intervening further , these roots / trees start growing in Ryu's apartment. And he is in a lot of pain

Spoiler

And sometimes I have no idea what HR is thinking...lol..he's desperate of course - sought out Ryu and tries to defeat him with a sword?? :ph34r:...come on when will HR learn that Ryu isn't going to let YK's soul go..of course HR was no match for Ryu, the latter easily injured him

Spoiler

In desperation , HR started slicing the trees with his sword and this weird light balls started floating up...oh my are these the souls that Ryu took? Did HR do something that cannot be reversed?

Spoiler

Preview>>>
HR is going on some journey to the desert to retrieve YK's soul?? ok the fantasy bit is kicking in full swing

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

A bit confused about when IG sold her soul...isn’t it first grade? Why would the most valuable soul only get one wish? That kinda feels like a cop out and they really did IG dirty like that.

• Like 5

Jung Kyung Ho And Park Sung Woong Face Battle Over Lee Seol’s Soul In “When The Devil Calls Your Name”

Sep 12, 2019

93d8fe2d75314653be9070ed414c4207.jpeg?s=

On September 12, tvN’s Wednesday-Thursday drama “When the Devil Calls Your Name” released suspenseful stills of Jung Kyung Ho and Park Sung Woong from the upcoming episode.

Spoiler starts

In the September 11 episode, Ha Rip (Jung Kyung Ho) pushed Kim Yi Kyung (Lee Seol) to sign a contract with the devil after witnessing the death of his son Luka (Song Kang). Kim Yi Kyung, who blames herself for the bad things that happened to others in her life, signed the contract to trade her soul in exchange for ‘salvation.’ However, Ha Rip soon discovered that the devil has played both him and Kim Yi Kyung and decided to get her soul back from the devil.

Spoiler ends

In the newly released stills, Ha Rip is seen paying a visit to the home of the devil. He seems cautious as he looks around to find the souls the devil has collected and wonders whether or not it is possible for him to get Kim Yi Kyung’s soul back.

more https://www.soompi.com/article/1352043wpp/jung-kyung-ho-and-park-sung-woong-face-one-last-battle-over-lee-seols-soul-in-when-the-devil-calls-your-name

• Like 6

I finished yesterday’s episode, but I’ve only had the chance to skim today’s episode!

But honestly, I’m with you, @katakwasabi! I didn’t really feel much better about HR from what I saw today. Granted, I need to actually sit through the entirety of today’s episode, but... I also don’t know if I’m going to satisfied with the way HR redeems himself in the time we have left. He’s such a flawed character, and we’ve come so far... I don’t know if the narrative in the last two/three episodes will be enough for me to view HR more favorably. Dang it, I wish he were a more likable character. 

I’m so upset with HR oh my god!!! I’m still so disappointed in him for pressuring YK to sign off her soul, especially he wasn’t even soulless when he cornered her to sign the paper. ARGH!!!! 

This week’s episodes have really got me thinking about the soundtrack lyrics. Is “The Road You Left” a song about YK from HR’s perspective? 

+can I just say that YK’s family situation side story is freaking heartbreaking? Her father is such garbage.

• Like 5

bts:-

so much fun and laughters lol

i’m going to watch ep13 n 14 when i get home after work! 

could it be music the only way to awaken the soul of YG? specifically one composed by SDC?

could SY be the possible lifeline that stops Ryu from his own self destruction?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I finally watched the entirety of episode 14! 

I cried for Dong Hee and I cried for CEO Ji... The scene with CEO Ji and her pills made me so anxious... I was so relieved when she woke up in the hospital. 

So what exactly is Kang Ha’s role? We haven’t seen that much of him, but he must have a purpose? Perhaps a significant one? My memory is unfortunately already fuzzy, but if I recall correctly, it was revealed in Ep14 that he made an, um, disgraceful? ruling for a case that involved Tiger Pharmaceuticals. which. is directly connected to Lee Choong Ryeol. What’s going on? I feel like I don’t even remember enough detail from all the previous episodes to understand what’s going on. I definitely can’t make conjectures with my flimsy grasp of the situation lol. I have no clue what’s to come in the last two episodes. 

And a ton of souls can no longer be restored to their rightful owners because HR released them? I’m sure the story isn’t going to just end on such a hopeless note, right? 

I still don’t understand why Ryu’s sidekick/secretary dude was killed off? Is it because he longed to be with his daughter that much? It can’t be. Was this scene supposed to be some kind of allusion to HR + Lucca’s predicament? Don’t tell me that they’re gonna end up killing off HR and Lucca too in order to “reset” all that went wrong? I’m probably wrong. I’ve been wrong so many times throughout this show lol. I thought the truck was going to be the end of Lucca... yet he’s alive again. Dang it. I really didn’t want YK to sign the contract. Can you all tell that I’m still upset? lol

It’s still hard for me to empathize with HR. I still want to smack him. I’m filled with too much negativity at the moment... Ah! Since my mind is shrouded with negativity, I can’t help but feeling like the entire show has been a series of HR making poor decisions and running to Ryu to beg him for help, but the “help” he gets from Ryu is never really “help.” Ryu’s help is more like temptation, and HR has always fallen for temptation... Then things inevitably go wrong again and the whole thing repeats. Rinse and repeat. I guess they kind of developed HR’s character in Ep14 since they showed his determination to not let the deity and Ryu toy with his and everyone else’s lives, but... I guess I’m not forgiving and compassionate enough because I’m going to need a lot more from HR before I feel accepting of his character. Why can’t I like him... Jung Kyung Ho is doing a spectacular job at making me dislike HR’s character lol. 

Also, I thought it was hilarious how HR tried to stop YK from siding with LCR in Ep13, only to have her retort that there’s not much of a difference between HR and LCR. Yeow! The burn! I suppose LCR and HR are far from being exactly the same, but HR isn’t exactly a million miles above LCR. 

I hope that episodes 15+16 will reveal something astounding and not leave me feeling sorely disappointed for sticking around for 16 episodes! 

• Like 3
  • Insightful 2

Lightsabers!!!

I admit I rolled my eyes hard multiple times especially when Harip went to Ryu's house again. Entered without a key, again. This time he came with a sword but unfortunately he left his brains and senses elsewhere. Then he got himself stabbed with a lightsaber and he spewed blood everywhere....edit I rewatched the scene and his wound was magically healed. That is why he is still alive.

I don't mind fantasy, but this show lacks logic and continuity...it feels like writernim just threw everything in but did not think of the connections in between to make writernims fantasy world believable. Also how did Lucca evem know where Ryu lived? Though that scene had no added value much, since Lucca was turned down by Ryu. Tsk3. 

Imo, Good acting can only help a drama to some extent, but with a script in shambles, doused in kerosene and set on fire, there's nothing much good acting can do. 

r8BmVk.gif

BNOP9n.gif

4QVzG0.gif

@peachfuzz yeah..I don't emphatize with Harip at all. I thought ep 14 will try to redeem him a bit....but nope. At this point I think Harip is not the protagonist but actually the villain. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

@katakwasabi

I feel the same way!!! HR seems more like an antagonist to me at this point, too. I know Ryu is also far from being a good dude, but I like him better than I like HR. As whiny as Ryu is, HR is establishing himself in my mind as the epitome of whine. Despite his totally backwards thinking and inflated self-concept, Ryu “does stuff for the sake of others/humans,” although I suppose you could argue that he has an ulterior motive... but HR, on the other hand, has been doing things almost solely for his own benefit ever since Ep#something. Everything keeps getting messed up not just because Ryu is an angsty buffoon but because HR keeps making the same mistakes...

And yes, good acting can only get you so far. The script is currently driving me insane. I am so desperately hoping that there’s a grand revelation or something in the next episode that redeems the show for me... otherwise I’m going to be bitter lol. Right now, the script is making me feel as if there’s food stuck in my throat. I am d esper ately hoping/awaiting that refreshing swig of water to wash all the frustration down. I’m tired of going in circles. 

• Like 4