[Drama 2019] The Devil Is Calling Your Name, 악마가 너의 이름을 부를 때

larus

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, it's just as well HR is a musician and not something else... He is entirely lacking in common sense. That was really silly. Why couldn't he have just closed the curtains and put his undies back on. :lol: Yeah stick to your day job friend. :P

Oddly enough (or maybe not) I felt frustrated during the entirety of the episode because it seemed so obvious to me what the show was shooting for and yet all the players... HR mostly... were wandering around aimlessly looking for what was right under their noses. HR keeps missing all the signs perhaps because the package that's right in front of him isn't exactly what he's looking for. He's not a bad fellow although right now he's putty in MTG's hands so his head is something of a mess. Certainly in part he's so full of himself and resentment and yet there's a sense that he's unschooled. He's been in his music bubble for so long that he's a babe in the woods with regards to certain things.

Our seasoned actors are hilarious... JKH, PSW and Lee El. They have the experience and comic timing to pull off the absurd and the ridiculous in a way that the irony is not lost. I love all their interactions. And it's a laugh and a half that the devil is in terror of CEO Ji. 

I'm beginning to wonder if the devil is really the devil or some kind of uglified cupid. I have to ask because while he seems to be toying with HR on some level, it feels like he is helping him as well. 

I see there's a Liver and Gallbladder presence in Spotify already. I'm looking forward to the entire album some time in the near future. ;)

That last song that JKH sang gave me goosebumps.

5 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Well, it's just as well HR is a musician and not something else... He is entirely lacking in common sense. That was really silly. Why couldn't he have just closed the curtains and put his undies back on. :lol: Yeah stick to your day job friend. :P

Haha I was thinking exactly the same thing!

Oddly enough (or maybe not) I felt frustrated during the entirety of the episode because it seemed so obvious to me what the show was shooting for and yet all the players... HR mostly... were wandering around aimlessly looking for what was right under their noses. HR keeps missing all the signs perhaps because the package that's right in front of him isn't exactly what he's looking for. He's not a bad fellow although right now he's putty in MTG's hands so his head is something of a mess. Certainly in part he's so full of himself and resentment and yet there's a sense that he's unschooled. He's been in his music bubble for so long that he's a babe in the woods with regards to certain things.

That's probably where the conscience come into play.  He wanted to pick a bad/evil soul really.  I believe that's why he said perfect, but no way person be a first grade.

And it's a laugh and a half that the devil is in terror of CEO Ji. 

Again the tears come into play and talk of guilt.  Also, in ep said depending on person, if you apologize sincerely then it'll take away guilt.  Sometime I wonder if it's  just because real MTG have feelings for CEO Ji or if there's more to that story with the devil.

I had hope of happy ending after devil mention really releasing Mr. Seo with the survival ordeal.  Also, that song  HR sang was great!

Loving this drama so far. I usually do like romance but for this drama I think it would be nice for the two main characters just to remain close and help each other with what they love the most - music. I think it keeps it more poignant that way. Lee El is great. Her look is just awesome.

I found the shower scene weird instead of funny. His reaction is so uncommon. It would be easier for him to just close the curtains instead of putting his leg on her head. He's gonna attract her attention rather than diverting it. Hua3

Anyways...my theory is Yi Kyung is Ha Rip's unknown daughter/granddaughter. And they will help each other out until Ha Rip dies of old age and Yi Kyung find success in life.

11 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

At least I've never seen any more hilarious cliffhanger :joy:

Why don't he just turned around and closed the curtain instead of used his foot to hold her head in place??? He provided a better view for her instead....:ph34r:

I also think that HR's housemate isn't that ordinary/simple....The emergency staircase scene had me in stitches....:lol: Seasoned actors are indeed different....

I had watched till ep3. I liked the interaction between the male lead and the female lead. For female lead Lee Seol, I knew her through drama Less than evil and I don't know that she can sing. Now I keep repeating this song. (ost part 3). 

HR is rank 4 soul! 

We all know that YK is rank 1 soul. It's so obvious from viewer's point of view.

And her ajussi seems to be an angel?

I didn't watch the next episode yet but

I have a theory that rank 1 soul gets a guardian angel. They can't help like devil does. But they do their best. 

I'm guessing amnesic man, that HR has "picked up from the street" like his cat lol, is YK's original guardian angel.

amnesic angel fought with Ryu and lost. Losing memory during the process. And it caused YK to go to prison. 

But he is quickly replaced by ajussi angel, which caused Ryu to lose her.

So Ryu did contract with HR instead. 

That's why amnesic guy instinctively tries to help YK.

Angels have true forms like devils. So Ryu does not recognize amnesic angel with a disguise.

Either ajussi angel concealed YK so that Ryu can't recognize her or Ryu recognizes her and using HR to get her contract.

The "not human" one that Ryu is looking for is either an amnesic angel or ajussi angel. If Ryu doesn't know, the only way to recognize YK is to find her angel that Ryu recognizes. If Ryu knows, he needs to find disguised angel, so that he can take care of her angel first, making sure angel can't interfere this time.

Oh, and I have another theory that soul's rank can change when the human changes. 

And if HR changes to become rank 1 soul, then amnesic angel might become his guardian angel. 

Kyung ho oppa! I never can phantom how can you act out peculiar characters that good that you can easily make me that hook just like your past shows.

As for the story, it’s very interesting — remind me so much of Dorian Gray, my favorite classic :).  

I am expectant of witty bantering of #WoongHo Couple — hahaha of Life On Mars! hahahahaha — interesting to see Lee Seol and Lee El as I can sense another Ah Sung Go character who nailed her odd character in LOM! I missed the LOM cast! 

29 minutes ago, KDrM said:

HR is rank 4 soul! 

We all know that YK is rank 1 soul. It's so obvious from viewer's point of view.

And her ajussi seems to be an angel?

I didn't watch the next episode yet but

I have a theory that rank 1 soul gets a guardian angel. They can't help like devil does. But they do their best. 

I'm guessing amnesic man, that HR has "picked up from the street" like his cat lol, is YK's original guardian angel.

amnesic angel fought with Ryu and lost. Losing memory during the process. And it caused YK to go to prison. 

But he is quickly replaced by ajussi angel, which caused Ryu to lose her.

So Ryu did contract with HR instead. 

That's why amnesic guy instinctively tries to help YK.

Angels have true forms like devils. So Ryu does not recognize amnesic angel with a disguise.

Either ajussi angel concealed YK so that Ryu can't recognize her or Ryu recognizes her and using HR to get her contract.

The "not human" one that Ryu is looking for is either an amnesic angel or ajussi angel. If Ryu doesn't know, the only way to recognize YK is to find her angel that Ryu recognizes. If Ryu knows, he needs to find disguised angel, so that he can take care of her angel first, making sure angel can't interfere this time.

Oh, and I have another theory that soul's rank can change when the human changes. 

And if HR changes to become rank 1 soul, then amnesic angel might become his guardian angel. 

Interesting theory :)

I thought the ranks is based on desperation? Yi Kyung is desperate but she's not that desperate, she can still live her life another way and she seems content with whatever. 

Your theory also kinda reminds me of Hwayugi. The lead lady was special and had to be protected by evil spirits wanting her blood.

I'm really curious where is original Mo Tae Gyang? I find it weird that Ryu(?) reacts to CEO Ji. He should be emotionless. Hua3

2 hours ago, katakwasabi said:

Anyways...my theory is Yi Kyung is Ha Rip's unknown daughter/granddaughter. And they will help each other out until Ha Rip dies of old age and Yi Kyung find success in life.

You're not the only one who thinks so... I read a k nets comment on Melohwa who also suggested the same. 

But eeeek , if he is indeed biologically related to her this scene from last night  would be every daughter's nightmare :skull::joy:

Spoiler

Going through some cuts from tonight..ahahaha these two , the show is laying down some groundwork for their romance :D

Preview 

@triplem @guinearoyal I have a theory about ori Mo Tae Gyang...maybe he's a grade 1 soul? And the reason why Ryu is adamant for Ha Rip to only find 1 soul but it must be a grade 1 soul is so he can inhibit the body. I'm watching a rerun of ep 3. The scene where CEO Ji says MTG performed without telling her, and when she went to congratulate him, he did not acknowledge her...makes me think it was not the original MTG in her memory but the current MTG aka Ryu. Ryu doesn't know that Ji is MTG's girlfriend at that point. Maybe he got fame after Ryu took over.

Edit to add: Ryu said grade 1 soul has no evil. So...could that make it easier for him to take over? Haha

End of theory. Haha

59 minutes ago, katakwasabi said:

I'm really curious where is original Mo Tae Gyang? I find it weird that Ryu(?) reacts to CEO Ji. He should be emotionless. Hua3

My theory is that Ryu took over Mo Tae Gyang... maybe he was a former soul contractor. And Ryu decided to take over his life, out of boredom since pretending to be human looked interesting. Plus, I think after watching humans for so long, he seems to be very confused and curious about why they act they do and he figures being with the humans will let him figure it out. It is a bit like "Meet Joe Black" or "Death Takes a Holiday" scenario. The emotions that Ryu seems to be used to is anger, hate, greed and fear. Love, compassion, kindness, selflessness..etc throws him for a loop. And CEO Ji is throwing emotions that he is not used to having directed to him, which is terrifying because he is not used to it and he keeps putting his foot in his mouth. lol

Also, I can see that the conversation in the stair well easily could have gotten to him. The language the CEO Ji seemed to use in the subs sounded almost like she knew that he was the devil and not human, yet had loved him. I think it got to him, yet since he is not familiar with emotions, he has no idea why it did. All in all, I think that this is going to prove to be interesting as the story progresses.

4 hours ago, katakwasabi said:

Interesting theory :)

I thought the ranks is based on desperation? Yi Kyung is desperate but she's not that desperate, she can still live her life another way and she seems content with whatever. 

Your theory also kinda reminds me of Hwayugi. The lead lady was special and had to be protected by evil spirits wanting her blood.

Rye explained that the rank goes higher up as soul inside does not have hidden "evil" feeling inside. Rank 1 soul does not have it at all. There is nothing to hide. And what they say is all true with no hidden feeling.

Which makes sense when we know that HR is rank 4. He does have a good heart and often say whatever is in his mind. But he does have hidden feelings and not everything he says is true. He's not all that good.

3 hours ago, guinearoyal said:

language the CEO Ji seemed to use in the subs sounded almost like she knew that he was the devil and not human, yet had loved him.

It's like "he's cold as devil"

The way she says is like "How could you act like that if you're a human?!"

That's supposed to be an emotional yet funny scene because without knowing she's correct. Ryu is not human. He's a devil with no tears. But she doesn't know that. 

Since Ryu seems to have no idea, the past that she was talking about seems to be original MTG. Not Ryu.

That was much better... yes... finally, HR sees what's been right in front of him all the time. The perfect candidate for the first grade soul. But the fascinating thing is that MTG/the devil thought he was scamming him. Haha... perhaps MTG himself has been scammed the whole time. However it's almost irrelevant in a way because HR needs YG. Not in the way he thinks but they are in some mysterious fashion soul mates of a kind. He teared up when he heard her song but he interpreted it in a negative way. I don't think he knows himself as well as he thinks. In fact, I don't think he knows himself at all. I'm not sure if I agree that romance is unnecessary. From what I've seen, I am inclined to believe that HR needs love in his life... very desperately. Even if happily-ever-after isn't on the cards for them, the act of falling in love will shake him out of his self-protective bubble.

HR reminds me a little of JKH's outing in Missing Nine. Not completely of course. He's a self-absorbed jerk on some level and yet you can't hate him because there are moments when one catches glimpses of vulnerability and rare self-awareness. But he frustrates me because while he is supposedly in his seventies, he seems childish in his resentments and behaviour.

It's fun that MTG is having his own little arc as he waxes philosophical about the human condition. He does remind me of last year's Black (or was it the previous year?). He thinks he knows things but apparently there are clear limits to his knowledge and so he's discovering humanity in new and mind boggling ways. I am both fascinated and surprised by what he doesn't know. At times he comes across as an existential nihilist but at other times he's amusingly ignorant and naive. He's good on theory perhaps but the practice discombobulates him. :D 

The basement workroom is HR's "microhabitat" ;)  His hiding place... his refuge. It's a place where he can escape to the past and be Seo Dong Cheon for a little while singing the sorts of songs that came from his own unhappy soul. The interior palette there is different from the rest of the house. A place where time stands still for HR who is trying desperately to keep something of SDC within himself. 

Perhaps through YG, her music and the inspiration that she brings to the musical compositions yet to come, he will find and bring back SDC for one last encore. 

7 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

It's fun that MTG is having his own little arc as he waxes philosophical about the human condition. He does remind me of last year's Black

Oh my goodness I was thinking the same thing during His scenes with his ex. That poor actress can never catch a break with her leading men being possessed by someone else! Kekeke

but does anyone else get some jdorama vibes from this show? 

I have now watched ep 4...and one of my quite many qualms is....

Why on earth is everyone going in and out of Ha Rip's house?! Is his house open to public? The most weird appearance at his house was Luca. How did he even get in? And he is there on different days. Not only that...he saunters into Ha Rip's studio and plays the keyboard, tells Yi Kyung to sing (which she does). This is NOT your house!!! Your house is in Montenegro....:ph34r:

Archived