[Drama 2019] The Devil Is Calling Your Name, 악마가 너의 이름을 부를 때

larus

I am in love with this drama already. I sensed it will be a good drama after reading the plot and now I have the confirmation (at least it has great potential).

I love the writing, the plot, the cast. I did not expected to be this fun but I knew that this show will have a serious issues to explore underneath all the comic. It is the kind of drama that I was looking for.

I can`t wait to watch the next episodes.

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting. It's a zero sum game. At the end of the day, this devil operates on the level of a zero sum game. Something along the lines of the Fullmetal Alchemist's law of equivalent exchange... maybe. ;) I'm intrigued about what other laws govern this universe.

You know I wasn't sure what to think about Ha Rip in Episode 1 but by the end of Episode 2, I feel heartened by the fact that there's hope for him. I think God does as well because days before he has to complete his transaction with this devil, Ha Rip meets Yi Gyeong. It's an act of mercy. ;) Before this, his life had been a lie... the last 10 years at least. As I thought (and hoped) the realisation that he'd been spoon-fed stolen goods, has become something of a wake-up call. The benefits apparently don't outweigh the costs for him. It'a relief. I want to be able to root for him. The coolest and kindest thing he did was reach out to YG in that hotel lobby and put his jacket around her to signal his protection over her.

Although I struggle to see how they will bridge the age gap between HR and YG, my impression is that they're selling YG as something of an old soul. She's the typical Kdramaland female lead who despite being maligned and badly treated manages to put on a brave face and maintain optimism. She has a maturity beyond her years and will prove to his equally at least mentally. ;)

As was said earlier, this devil is pretty powerful and like the devil of the Bible he's a con-artist through and through. He's not all-powerful and subject to laws. But unlike the devil of the Bible, he seems to be ignorant about how humans operate. In fact, he comes across much more as a naughty, somewhat precocious teenage alien from another world still trying to get his head around basic facts regarding humanity. He knows that humans have needs and when desperate are capable of much greed. That's why the contracts work. However there is fortunately much more to human beings than that. They are capable of change and by extension, redeemable in some fashion. I suppose he thinks that if he keeps on handing out the lollies and sweets they'll continue dancing to his tune without question. But his little chats with his terrified assistant is telling. The assistant is as much an interpreter as he is an errand boy. :P

Of course the devil was totally ignorant about MTG's relationship with CEO Ji. It will be amusing to see how that dynamic plays out. I am reminded of an old saying "Hell has known no fury like a woman scorned."

There are striking parallels between MTG and HR vs HR and YG. MTG is the dominant figure in that first dynamic and HR is at his mercy. But when HR discovered MTG's need for singing lessons that became his leverage for further negotiation. The musician in HR wants a second chance to do his own thing with his person of choice. My feeling is that HR always wanted to be recognized even in his Liver and Gallbladder days. That's what eluded him. Nobody wanted to listen to his music, he was constantly told. In the second relationship dynamic HR seemingly has the upperhand until YG shows her hand... a recording of her singing his first hit. It's an odd gesture of goodwill... of her threatening him but then not really threatening him. The musician in her wants to be acknowledge more than be compensated it seems.

Many humorous moments in Episode 2. My second favourite has to be the expressions on the medical staff faces when HR comes back from death. My favourite when the devil as MTG lip syncs to HR's singing. That reminded me of Singin' in the Rain. :D

Well, the romance. It could happen.

There are many popular Korean novels/webtoons with becoming younger/time-travel back/dimension-travel to fictional novel/different world in younger body of someone else.

And a lot of them have romance. So... 

This "getting younger(beautiful)/live better life" trope has always been popular. And even more popular these days. 

You can also see this trope quite a lot in recent years dramas/movies, but usually they keep it safe.

For example,

man gets younger body but still likes older woman, his first crush,and gets his older body back and become a couple with her.

The man time-travel back to his younger days. It turns out his wife also time-traveled back with him.

Man time-travels back only for him to switch himself with alternative timeline version of him with original age. He falls in love with woman, who is his wife in original timeline. But the woman is not the same person, but she does find out about his truth though. In the end, they marry again.

And so on...

So I'm not sure if the drama is going to just go she's adult and very mature for her age, so that the romance can happen with HR. Or she ends up romancing the similar age second-lead that we will meet later.

I really like when first-lead romances second-lead. I will cry with joy if first-lead romances third-lead with enough understandable development.

Anyway, do you guys know how old is Yi Gyung? She's an adult, right? Since her classmate is already married and has a baby, she's definitely an adult. 

46 minutes ago, KDrM said:

Anyway, do you guys know how old is Yi Gyung? She's an adult, right? Since her classmate is already married and has a baby, she's definitely an adult. 

Yes, she is an adult. Seo Dong-Cheon is 70 in the present but he is Ha Rib now, much younger. But still here is an age gap between them.

I don`t know what happend in the romance department. I wish the writer will keep them close but not involved romantically. But I don`t mind if they will fall in love either.

Ha Rib will grow so much as a character because of devil`s ultimatum and because he met Yi-Kyung. Maybe he will have a chance to live fully these last days and archive his dream, to be recognized as a musician with his real music, a music that comes from his soul. I am sure he will sacrifice his life to give Yi Kyung her life/ luck back. Maybe that`s why Ha Rip will have a chance to a happy ending.

About Seo-Young and Mo Tae-Kang... I want them back together. Now that Ryu is in her former lover`s body it will be really interesting. And fun.

I don`t know why but this Mo Tae-Kang is really captivating. I know why. :) I am rooting somehow for the Devil Ruy to redeem himself. I think he has potential. :lol:

41 minutes ago, larus said:

About Seo-Young and Mo Tae-Kang... I want them back together. Now that Ryu is in her former lover`s body it will be really interesting. And fun.

I don`t know why but this Mo Tae-Kang is really captivating. I know why. :) I am rooting somehow for the Devil Ruy to redeem himself. I think he has potential. :lol:

Yeah, we seems to be going there. We already knows that the devil has somewhat soft spots for a devil as he says it himself. Like giving another chance to HR and also not killing the murderer boy by shouldering death burden by himself. (He only gave the boy the pain of death, but not the death itself). And Devil is curious about being sorry. But I'm afraid that if he redeems himself, I feel like it will be done by letting HR live and he himself dies because of it. I hope not. 

I also thought YG will be a muse to HR. And become true sing-song writers together. I really thought YG will sing at the audition and make HR wants to be a sing-song writer. Literally becoming his muse. But not in romantic way.

BUT instead of that, we got the kdrama cliches. rich handsome Male lead saves his love interest.

To be honest, it came out of nowhere. I know he felt bad for stealing her songs, but I thought he wasn't that close to her yet. He must have looked for her to find her. But he isn't close to her and at that moment, he has no reason to look for her. Every time they met, they always fought. There was never a nice smiling moment mutual from both sides. 

But still HR was dashing while saving her. I will give you that!

Jung Kyung Ho/Ha Rip's hair is literally a blessing from above hahaha! I have no idea what direction this show is going in (esp in the romance department - that age gap gives me doubts, but kdrama land has had much larger age gaps anyways so who is to say really?), but all the actors and actresses were superb in eps 1-2. I'm a binger, so I wish I checked this drama out when all the eps were over, seriously! 

15 hours ago, ryanallright said:

Hope they will release the female version of Trap of Love

Yes, me too, I was trying to look for it. 

13 hours ago, KDrM said:

BUT instead of that, we got the kdrama cliches. rich handsome Male lead saves his love interest.

To be honest, it came out of nowhere. I know he felt bad for stealing her songs, but I thought he wasn't that close to her yet. He must have looked for her to find her. But he isn't close to her and at that moment, he has no reason to look for her. Every time they met, they always fought. There was never a nice smiling moment mutual from both sides. 

But still HR was dashing while saving her. I will give you that!

Perhaps it was something of a cliche but I don't think it was about romance but empathy. 

HR's a deeply flawed human being but at least we can see here that he has a conscience... he has some professional pride left and he understands what it is to struggle. He has been where YG is at once upon a time. He too was down on his luck and hit rock bottom (literally). 

At least she has someone. He had no one when he was at his lowest. That's why he did his deal with the devil.

I can forgive the show this cliche because in a way he is indebted to her. And it shows that he's not the complete jerk he likes to pretend he is.

Initially I thought that perhaps romance wasn't needed... age gap notwithstanding... but I'm okay with it if it helps light a fire under HR's rear end and gets him writing good music... his own music. If love has to be the key... so be it. Especially if she receives recognition for her talents as well.

When the Devil Calls Your Name: Episode 1

by lovepark

devilname01-00142.jpg

The first episode of When the Devil Calls Your Name is filled with world building, rule setting, and character introductions, and despite its runtime, it flies by quickly. Promising a fun ride following a cowardly protagonist fighting for his life, the show starts off strong right out of the gate. The creators seem to have a solid grasp of the story they want to tell, and with two charismatic leads at the helm, I’m looking forward to the inevitable clash looming in the horizon.

more http://www.dramabeans.com/2019/08/when-the-devil-calls-your-name-episode-1/

17 hours ago, KDrM said:

Yeah, we seems to be going there. We already knows that the devil has somewhat soft spots for a devil as he says it himself. Like giving another chance to HR and also not killing the murderer boy by shouldering death burden by himself. (He only gave the boy the pain of death, but not the death itself). And Devil is curious about being sorry. But I'm afraid that if he redeems himself, I feel like it will be done by letting HR live and he himself dies because of it. I hope not. 

I am worried what will happen with Mo Tae-Kang`s body when Devil Ryu will leave. Maybe we`ll find out how he was possessed. I hope he did not die. I am more excited to see how the relationship will be between Mo Tae-Kang and Ji Seo-Young than the main couple. But I think both couple has great story/potential.

35 minutes ago, triplem said:

This is the romance I am more excited about.  I can imagine the hilarity that will ensue when the devil falls in love  :lol:

Me too. Fingers crossed.

3 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Perhaps it was something of a cliche but I don't think it was about romance but empathy. 

HR's a deeply flawed human being but at least we can see here that he has a conscience... he has some professional pride left and he understands what it is to struggle. He has been where YG is at once upon a time. He too was down on his luck and hit rock bottom (literally). 

He feels empathy. Even when he took the deal with the devil, Seo Dong-Cheon was not entirely greedy/ selfish. I understood why he made the deal. It is human nature to have weaknesses,  to be selfish for your own good. He was desperate and he did not think of consequences.

I saw that he still had a conscience even earlier in the series, when he did not want to receive the awards directly. I think he felt a little guilty, maybe he still had insecurities thinking that his succes is not entirely from his own merit.

I think that the devil made him succesful, famous but the talent was always there. I don`t know how the relationship between Ha Rib and Yi Kyung will develop (knowing kdrama land I think maybe they will fall in love with each other). As you beautifully said " If love has to be the key... so be it." It is exactly how I feel. Personally, I find more meaningful if they will remain close but not romantically involved. They will help each other.  Seo Dong-Cheon is an old man. He will have a chance to compose THE music, the composition that he will come from his soul. He will recieve the recognition he has craved all his life. It doesn`t help him knowing that his succes of the last ten years was not his music. Ha Rib will do what is right and he will give back the life of Yi Kyung. 

I liked the moment when Yi Kyung recognized Seo Dong-Cheon`s band and she liked Dong Cheon`s music the most. There is a connection between them. Now that we know that their fate is intertwined is even more obvious about their connection.

Ha Rip/ Seo Dong Cheon will make the sacrifice. He will die but he will gain something(he will have that recognition as an artist before his death and he will learn some valuable lesson, he will grow as a human being). Because it is a fantasy drama, there is a high posibility that the writer decided to give Yi Kyung and Ha Rip a chance to be happy together in the end. Win Win Win situation (for Yi Kyung, for Ha Rip and for audience )

Just done with episodes 1-2. I like it. I'm not a fond of kdrama fantasy genre but good writing good acting directing editing and music I'm going to watch. What I like about this there's humor but at the same time seriousness. Credit to director and writier cos humor is done correctly and it's in place. I like seriousness.  It is a human melodrama. Sold himself to the devil, have to pay the pay price to right the wrong.

I already like the songs of Liver and Gallbladder?( wow that is the name of the duo) I enjoyed the flashback scene of Song Dong Cheon singing, playing the guitar and  Ha Rip even though drunk..was into it..doing air guitar with his hands.. even touching Yi Kyung.  The music for this drama is good. OST will be good.

I like that Yi Kyung likes Seong Dong Cheol music.  The music is folksy.. if  that is the right term.

On 8/4/2019 at 5:46 PM, larus said:

I think that the devil made him succesful, famous but the talent was always there. I don`t know how the relationship between Ha Rib and Yi Kyung will develop (knowing kdrama land I think maybe they will fall in love with each other). As you beautifully said " If love has to be the key... so be it." It is exactly how I feel. Personally, I find more meaningful if they will remain close but not romantically involved. They will help each other.  Seo Dong-Cheon is an old man. He will have a chance to compose THE music, the composition that he will come from his soul. He will recieve the recognition he has craved all his life. It doesn`t help him knowing that his succes of the last ten years was not his music. Ha Rib will do what is right and he will give back the life of Yi Kyung. 

I agree. I like them to be close but NOT  romantically. I feel it's more meaningful that way.  For him to give back something to Yi Kyung..her life. Her back story of domestic victim of child abuse  which ended up her being in juvenile dentention the father did not die but is now quadriplegic (sorry not sure what it is). 

I'm happy to see Lee Seol in another drama.  I know everyone here is for the male leads.. and they're terrific and have charisma. Her chracter here is soooooo different from her first drama OCN Bad Detective/Less than Evil. She was cunning and smart and pyscho bit in her previous drama but she's very tame here. It's typical female protagonist.  Her character age is 28 I think because in the flashback 10  years ago she was 18 yrs old ( correct me if I'm wrong). She wrote the song in detention... three days after Ha rip..made the song.

Talking about age gap in this drama.... well.. In her previous drama. She had a bigger age gap with Shin Ha Kyun.  In real life Lee Seol is only 25 or 26  I know she's about  same age as Song Kang who is 25.

Lee Seol as Yi Kyung performing.

39 minutes ago, jongski said:

Just done with episodes 1-2. I like it. I'm not a fond of kdrama fantasy genre but good writing good acting directing editing and music I'm going to watch. 

I didn’t expect you would come watch this. Doesn’t seem to be the genre you usually watch :D Glad that you’re joining us! 

I was debating whether to watch this or not but after I heard the OSTs and specifically Lee Seol's singing I was completely sold. tvN sure is taking their dramas seriously when it comes to music. All their dramas that I've watched had great OSTs. 

When the Devil Calls Your Name OST part 3

Lee Seol - Talk To Oneself

Spoiler

Lyrics translation RAW Google translation

A habit of saying alone
It's going to be alright
I`ll make you smile someday
Even if it's awkward than the mirror

I'll pass by
Even the tears that endured the stars
I'll pass by
Yesterday's diary I wanted to sit down

A little doll on the bedside
Look forward to sleepy
I secretly pat on my back
Thank you for having a good night's sleep
I'll pass by
This long and long road and a strange tomorrow
I'll pass by
Day after day you will see my slow dreams

I always quarreled with dreams
I'm so sorry yet
I'll pass by
This long and long road and a strange tomorrow
I'll pass by
It's slower after a day
I can see my dreams

the humor hits at the right spots. 

Love that Lee Seol didn't get sick, but was exhausted. She just fell asleep lol 

The scene in the staircase between Lee El and Park Sung Woong was GOLDEN. I laughed so much. 

Lee El killed it with her acting.

Also the songs are soooo calming! so healing to the soul! 

Archived