[Drama 2019] The Devil Is Calling Your Name, 악마가 너의 이름을 부를 때

larus

I finally watched the entirety of episode 14! 

I cried for Dong Hee and I cried for CEO Ji... The scene with CEO Ji and her pills made me so anxious... I was so relieved when she woke up in the hospital. 

So what exactly is Kang Ha’s role? We haven’t seen that much of him, but he must have a purpose? Perhaps a significant one? My memory is unfortunately already fuzzy, but if I recall correctly, it was revealed in Ep14 that he made an, um, disgraceful? ruling for a case that involved Tiger Pharmaceuticals. which. is directly connected to Lee Choong Ryeol. What’s going on? I feel like I don’t even remember enough detail from all the previous episodes to understand what’s going on. I definitely can’t make conjectures with my flimsy grasp of the situation lol. I have no clue what’s to come in the last two episodes. 

And a ton of souls can no longer be restored to their rightful owners because HR released them? I’m sure the story isn’t going to just end on such a hopeless note, right? 

I still don’t understand why Ryu’s sidekick/secretary dude was killed off? Is it because he longed to be with his daughter that much? It can’t be. Was this scene supposed to be some kind of allusion to HR + Lucca’s predicament? Don’t tell me that they’re gonna end up killing off HR and Lucca too in order to “reset” all that went wrong? I’m probably wrong. I’ve been wrong so many times throughout this show lol. I thought the truck was going to be the end of Lucca... yet he’s alive again. Dang it. I really didn’t want YK to sign the contract. Can you all tell that I’m still upset? lol

It’s still hard for me to empathize with HR. I still want to smack him. I’m filled with too much negativity at the moment... Ah! Since my mind is shrouded with negativity, I can’t help but feeling like the entire show has been a series of HR making poor decisions and running to Ryu to beg him for help, but the “help” he gets from Ryu is never really “help.” Ryu’s help is more like temptation, and HR has always fallen for temptation... Then things inevitably go wrong again and the whole thing repeats. Rinse and repeat. I guess they kind of developed HR’s character in Ep14 since they showed his determination to not let the deity and Ryu toy with his and everyone else’s lives, but... I guess I’m not forgiving and compassionate enough because I’m going to need a lot more from HR before I feel accepting of his character. Why can’t I like him... Jung Kyung Ho is doing a spectacular job at making me dislike HR’s character lol. 

Also, I thought it was hilarious how HR tried to stop YK from siding with LCR in Ep13, only to have her retort that there’s not much of a difference between HR and LCR. Yeow! The burn! I suppose LCR and HR are far from being exactly the same, but HR isn’t exactly a million miles above LCR. 

I hope that episodes 15+16 will reveal something astounding and not leave me feeling sorely disappointed for sticking around for 16 episodes! 

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lightsabers!!!

I admit I rolled my eyes hard multiple times especially when Harip went to Ryu's house again. Entered without a key, again. This time he came with a sword but unfortunately he left his brains and senses elsewhere. Then he got himself stabbed with a lightsaber and he spewed blood everywhere....edit I rewatched the scene and his wound was magically healed. That is why he is still alive.

I don't mind fantasy, but this show lacks logic and continuity...it feels like writernim just threw everything in but did not think of the connections in between to make writernims fantasy world believable. Also how did Lucca evem know where Ryu lived? Though that scene had no added value much, since Lucca was turned down by Ryu. Tsk3. 

Imo, Good acting can only help a drama to some extent, but with a script in shambles, doused in kerosene and set on fire, there's nothing much good acting can do. 

r8BmVk.gif

BNOP9n.gif

4QVzG0.gif

@peachfuzz yeah..I don't emphatize with Harip at all. I thought ep 14 will try to redeem him a bit....but nope. At this point I think Harip is not the protagonist but actually the villain. 

@katakwasabi

I feel the same way!!! HR seems more like an antagonist to me at this point, too. I know Ryu is also far from being a good dude, but I like him better than I like HR. As whiny as Ryu is, HR is establishing himself in my mind as the epitome of whine. Despite his totally backwards thinking and inflated self-concept, Ryu “does stuff for the sake of others/humans,” although I suppose you could argue that he has an ulterior motive... but HR, on the other hand, has been doing things almost solely for his own benefit ever since Ep#something. Everything keeps getting messed up not just because Ryu is an angsty buffoon but because HR keeps making the same mistakes...

And yes, good acting can only get you so far. The script is currently driving me insane. I am so desperately hoping that there’s a grand revelation or something in the next episode that redeems the show for me... otherwise I’m going to be bitter lol. Right now, the script is making me feel as if there’s food stuck in my throat. I am d esper ately hoping/awaiting that refreshing swig of water to wash all the frustration down. I’m tired of going in circles. 

4 hours ago, katakwasabi said:

Lightsabers!!!

i wished the lightsabers were more professionally cgi than this! there is no scabbard.. and they look like super thick fluorescent tubes :joy: its just like the lame black dragon in Korean Odyssey.. not tastefully done up.

4 hours ago, katakwasabi said:

when Harip went to Ryu's house again. Entered without a key, again.

everyone stomps right to Ryu’s house.. hahaha well, except for maybe, Ra In.. :tounge_xd: maybe everyone who has a desire to sell his/her soul can instinctively find the door to the devil..

Not as many commented lately.  I guess many are still frustrated with the script.  I have mixed feelings.  I started upset too with ep 13 and see a little light after ep14 how everything can be tie together.  Although, I worry whether they would be able to pull it off in just two eps or just go off on a tangent.

Ep 13 left a very bad taste especially after the comment about her soul is worthless for many and myself included.  Looking back though, I think I shouldn't be surprise.  It's not even about him using her to sacrifice for Lucca or that her soul in particular is worthless.  He's coming from a soulless person's point of view.  It would of been better if he was not trick and was truly soulless.  However, even from the beginning he didn't think much of his own soul in the narration since he thought he can live without it and was ready to sell it off.  Only recently did he realize having a soul let him empathize with others only to be force to lose it again soon after.  Once he lost it his comment to devil is he's fine without a soul except for seeing skeletons every now and then, but doable.  This is the emotion/ideal he left with and hence devil pick that time to put his soul back because he knows he wouldn't notice.  Things happen so fast afterward too.  This doesn't excuse his action, but I don't take it personally anymore where IG's soul is concern.  IG was also very different when she was change.  Like he said she was pitiful because of who she is (with soul).  He was even upset sometimes in past how she can be so good.  Soulless people sometime say it like it is.  It was also a way for her to stand up for herself and not let her conscience etc get in the way like him currently (or so he thought) and go for her desires for once.

I think I would be more happy if she just wish to save Lucca, but wasn't her wish just to be normal and not let anyone be sad because of her.  It felt kind of weird to go straight diva afterward.  I can argue she change her mind after being soulless, but thought that certain things would be taken away so she wouldn't have the opportunity.  So that seem like an error to me.

Other plothole to me is LCR having the contract after HR.  It would make the story better and tie everything better if he had sign it before to ruin HR's life which goes with his wish to ruin anyone that looks down on him.  I will talk more about that later.

Everyone was focus on IG and starting to feel like HR was the antagonist.  It was always about HR and he was a good candidate for the bet between the Devil and the Deity.  Why?   It was always about humans being flawed, but despite everything the Deity believe in essence humans were good.  Instead of picking on either extreme of the spectrum they pick a slightly better than average soul in bad circumstances as a representative to test against temptation.  Hence the interest on both sides and he is stuck with a contract either way.  So yea despite the spewing blood, both sides probably wouldn't let him die until the bet is really over.  That's why I can ignore the stubborn to die part even after spewing a lot of blood because either way same result.

So the person who didn't care for his own soul has learn about the value of having one and is now fighting for it which should be how it is.  In his young days memory he looked successful with his music.  This is why I said it would make more sense and make us empathize better with HR if LCR ruin his life and sign the contract before.  We know that soulless people can't sing because they lack emotions and empathy.  So this is where that last song can come in handy by HR.  Now in most stories soul belong to body since it's the home.  Like in Ghost Detective.  In most cases, the only time they can't return is if body is inhabited by another entity or body dies.  What was mention many times was human will.  They don't say music moves people for nothing.  Maybe his last song will play a part and the fantasy journey is extra thing he need as last piece of puzzle to broadcast etc.  At the very least it's always the thing that connects him with IG so I think it will be the answer too and ties everything together.

Sorry guys for rambling so long.  

i just finished ep13.. this episode gave much insights. manager kang played a huge part.. the soju (devil’s alcohol haha i like that!) and heart to heart talk with the fishball seller.. and being there for HR.. in fact, i think the moment when there is no fear of the devil, the soul already came back to him.. he had 2 years left on his contract, i’m not going to believe that the deity is so ruthless as to make him die so horribly in the accident when he was trying his best to stop tragedy :bawling: i rather believe its his choice to save, that he had to sacrifice (and got the chance to be with his daughter again)

i like the soulless YG.. every word she says prick but in a way, its honest and straight to the point..

HR.. as much as most of my dear chingus.. this guy is almost beyond redemption. when fishball seller reprimanded him about his selfishness, all this 66yo jerk is just finding excuses for himself and conveniently blaming Ryu for his trickery.. a perfect vessel for the devil to prove his point.

OK now i’m curious about who will play the deity.. to use humans as pawns on the betting table with the devil is pure idiocy... wait, isn’t Ryu supposedly a young angel in the first place? so the deity is as immature as him? ..nevermind, let me get some housework done and continue ep14.

p/s: i’m glad puppy likes Ryu now hahaha! the poop picking walks finally gained trust with the doggo :yum:

Any thoughts about this accident? I think its adds nothing significant to the narrative..also this accident is nonsensensical. The intersection is wide and empty. Why go straight when there's ample time and distance to brake and move to the left or right? Tsk3

nx7gE4.gif

vlR8PV.gif

2 hours ago, sadthe1st said:

i wished the lightsabers were more professionally cgi than this! there is no scabbard.. and they look like super thick fluorescent tubes :joy: its just like the lame black dragon in Korean Odyssey.. not tastefully done up.

everyone stomps right to Ryu’s house.. hahaha well, except for maybe, Ra In.. :tounge_xd: maybe everyone who has a desire to sell his/her soul can instinctively find the door to the devil..

The lightsabers does look like flourescent tubes :lol:. And the idea of lightsabers itself makes me laugh. Suddenly they have lightsabers, I don't think I've seen them in the earlier eps~ haha

Ryu's house lack security. Is he not a super star? :lol::rolleyes:

@katakwasabi its not just lightsabers.. see how Ryu’s is red while the rest are green.. its total replication of starwars :glasses: now now.. who is going to be representing yoda, the deity maybe?? :joy:

i dunno is MTK house an apartment or an office. his hall is too big, like an office in a skyline building.. HR’s is more reasonable as a landed bungalow on its own..

as for the accident, everyone is sleeping while driving.. the truck that he tried to stop, and the other that came speeding blindly.. apparently, the same for the truck that knocked Lucca down as well haha seems like roads in s. korea must have been very dangerous in this kdrama.. everyone just dies conveniently on the roads instead of han river.

(add on)

OK i was mopping floor and watching ep14 and ended up sitting in front of the tv for an hour :sweat:

i thought HR was turning for the better until he took the sword to Ryu again, like is he dumb or what :unamused: and was Ryu’s intention to return the souls he collected after the bet with deity is over? i saw that he actually shed tears when he saw the souls disappeared.. he said he is no longer granted the rights to buy souls anymore much earlier in the episode.. so that means the time is up he needs to go back and be punished by deity for losing the bet?

and, what’s with the lady messenger as the 31st Ryu.. :sweat:

well chingus, we are up to the final 2 episodes.. where is everyone?? :cry:

6 hours ago, katakwasabi said:

Any thoughts about this accident? I think its adds nothing significant to the narrative..also this accident is nonsensensical. The intersection is wide and empty. Why go straight when there's ample time and distance to brake and move to the left or right? Tsk3

It’s the curse of the Truck of Doom... No one can escape it... and it seems like the truck drivers there are taught to hit the horns first before hitting the brakes <_<

I am fine with YK going all pricks, since I believe there is a point that the writer is trying to make with these turn of events. I can patiently wait for the writer to finish the storytelling. 

But I am very frustrated and much bothered with the handcuffing of YK’s mother. Seriously, what is the law in SK like regarding domestic abuse? An abuser cannot be reported to police? She can’t even plead for herself and had to be handcuffed? Okay, maybe it’s just for dramatic purposes. But I am not moved. I think it’s a silly directing of the scene, on top of the light sabers... I wished they had think of something else for the sword fighting. 

Btw, this is the first time I ever rant about this drama. Been loving it so much till recent episodes. 

Can I just rant again about the romance tease we had a few episodes back?

At this point, HR and YK can’t possibly end up together... unless they throw a curveball and shift the tone out of nowhere. Sooo with this said, I, again, do not understand why they had the hint at a possible romance a couple of weeks ago. Did they do it as fan service? <_< What was the point of making YK have a crush on HR? Was it to make YK seem more pitiful when HR’s past and true intensions were revealed? Was it to increase the impact of the scene where HR snarls at YK to sign her soul away for Lucca’s sake? 

I fail to see how the whole crush/possible romance thing was necessary. I wish the show either never teased the idea or went with it straight on. I feel a little scammed :lol: 

Last note: If for some odd reason YK ends up with Lucca, I will scream lol. I don’t want this to happen at all. It seems highly unlikely, but I honestly also thought it was highly unlikely for Lucca to come back after he got sucker punched by that truck. Even though Lucca has had a crush on YK all this time, the two have like... no chemistry? Or, at least, the show has never created much, um, tension between Lucca and YK. I don’t see a reason for the two to end up together. To each their own, but I don’t understand what YK+Lucca shippers see! Don’t hurt me! :tears: 

I want Wednesday to come faster... 

20 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

It’s the curse of the Truck of Doom... No one can escape it... and it seems like the truck drivers there are taught to hit the horns first before hitting the brakes <_<

I was like move to the side avdeh6qvskdu!!! Anyways..the mini trucks stopped in the middle of the road because of friction, inertia and momentum and some other physic stuff that occured when Manager Kang stepped on the brakes to stop both trucks from moving further. In other words.....if Manager Kang reacted faster and released the brakes and stepped on the gas, he could avoid getting hit...oh well. I guess they were trying to replicate Euntak's heroic truck accident in Goblin. I don't know. I'm assuming random stuff. But I was not moved.

21 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

But I am very frustrated and much bothered with the handcuffing of YK’s mother. Seriously, what is the law in SK like regarding domestic abuse? An abuser cannot be reported to police? She can’t even plead for herself and had to be handcuffed? Okay, maybe it’s just for dramatic purposes. But I am not moved. 

Yeah..I was not touched too with the mum handcuffing scene. Clearly there was a huge fight. He is her son, hug her! And dad is/was and awful human, and they always knew that but still tolerated him, I do understand that different people have different mindsets and psychology. But dad has been on bed for what, 10 years?! Why are they still so emotionally attached to him, they had 10 years to grow without him abusing them since he was bedridden. He suddenly wakes up and stands on his feet....and they all accept him with opem arms. Except for Yikyung who has now turned sassy but dead-eyed.

Also...I'm confused with Yikyung's wish and the effects of her wish. She wished things turned to normal. Is dad waking up normal? Haha. When does this 'normal' start, when does it end? Because Harip is still young...normal would be he turned old. His assistant suddenly regains his memory. At first I thought it was a time rewind, but I don't think that happen. So I find the effects of her wish so out of place and weird.

The lightsabers were unoriginal. I wish they used something else for that too. Huhu

@peachfuzz I think it will end with no romance because romance was not embedded nicely in the narrative over the course of 14 episodes. The idea of romance was thrown here and there but nothing happened out of it. It feels superficial. Imo, neither HR or Lucca will end with Yikyung. 

I do wonder about ori Mo Tae Gang...is he still alive? That scene between drunk CEO Ji and Ryu did not touch me at all. I was rolling my eyes hard. Then she overdosed and this dream happend....but I was still not touched.

jZ5vQR.gif

I feel indifferent watching this drama. I root for no one. Hahaha

Bonus gif. 

Next time make sure to turn right and left before crossing the road.

lxXvQ5.gif

Runaway Truck of Doom! Why didn't it stop after hitting someone. Gosh!

YG’s one wish, is salvation. thats why Lucca was back alive.. her dad recovered..

i think MTK could still be in there.. human will and memories will bring back the soul, thats what Ryu’s dad said.. Ryu is just using his body as a shell.. when the heart still thumps for JY, i hope its the real MTK inside.. probably that heart confuses Ryu as well.. haha whatever the case, i hope it’ll be a happy ending for JY.. i kind of, sympathise her.

HR even though a selfish person in and out, i’m still quite glad he is still a true good friend with JY seeing how they worked and supported each other over the 10 yrs.

14 minutes ago, philosophie said:

Anyone know what knetz reaction to this latest episode was?

Ep 14 knetz reaction https://melohwa.blogspot.com/2019/09/when-devil-calls-your-name-ep-14.html?m=1

Unfortunately....I agree with most knetz reaction for this ep. On the other hand, ratings reached a new low for ep 14:  0.9%.

I feel bad for all involved, I'm sure no one wanted or even expected this outcome especially with such a big named cast. Hopefully the ratings will pick up a bit in the final week and all will move on to better projects.

When the Devil Calls Your Name: Episode 13

by LollyPip

Devil13-00314.jpg

The concepts of “good” and “evil” seem so clear-cut… but are they really, or is it a matter of perspective, and the values one holds the highest? If there’s one thing this show has shown, it’s that even a demon can do good, and a deity doesn’t necessarily always mean well. The question this episode raises is whether it’s the act itself that’s good or evil, or the intention behind the act, that determines one’s moral core.

more

http://www.dramabeans.com/2019/09/when-the-devil-calls-your-name-episode-13/

left 2 episodes.. and the whole plot revolves around HR.. thats why there are many scenes where the background narrating is from his point of view and thoughts.. but imho, when the emphasis of the soul selling thing is foolishly from a bet between the deity and a fallen angel, many might take this controversy offensive and decide not to continue watching.. anyway, its ending soon lets just stick around and hope for the best!! :glasses:

(this thread is definitely one of those least active.. compared to HDL which went to over 200+ pages even aft the drama has ended lol)

When the Devil Calls Your Name: Episode 14

by LollyPip

Devil14-00202.jpg

Even the most well-meaning human beings can be capable of letting others down, and this episode shows us that even angels aren’t immune from disappointing those they love. When one expects more of others than they can give, you’re bound to be disappointed no matter how hard the other person tries. One desperate musician is learning a hard lesson that one can only change oneself, and he’ll have to decide whether he’s willing to risk everything for those he cares about.

EPISODE 14 RECAP

http://www.dramabeans.com/2019/09/when-the-devil-calls-your-name-episode-14/

I've felt sad because I was busy last week. I often go to the thread, but I haven't had time to read your posts. I just finished 2 episodes 13-14 rambling. They touched me a lot, even though all the confused, vague thoughts in my mind that I didn't know how to express. I just know that there are 3 ways of showing a father's love for his children that his children will respond differently.

Talk about Ryu, he thinks that people cannot resist the temptation because human nature is greedy. But after all, driver Kang and HR is also for the love of a father for their children. Ryu again judged their selfish love as greed while HR didn't need Lucca to know his sacrifice. HR knelt several times and pleaded with Ryu, HR accepted to be killed by Ryu. He even used his power to deceive HR, taking advantage of HR's feelings during the urgent Lucca's life to have the soul of YG. Ryu's thoughts were stubborn, but actually his method was wrong. He won the godly bet on people, but deep down Ryu's mind wasn't at all happy about what he thought was right.

With only the last 2 episodes, I hope to have a romance between HR and YG, why the PD has made my heart flutter since episode 6, but recently I have not seen any hope.

P/s: I used Google trans so I don't know how to speak politely. I hope you don't mind me.

My head.. it hurts. My heart... it hurts also. 

I should probably stop commenting before fully watching each episode, but I really can’t help myself :D

So... After 272947296 hours of HR freaking the HECK out because of Lucca... Lucca finally stays alive and just? goes back to Montenegro? What? I can’t believe he just survives. It’s not like I have something against the guy, but the show barely developed his character. We/everyone in the show went through SO much trouble because of Lucca... yet we barely even got to know him. What? How can I connect with the situation when the show made it so that Lucca has the personality of a yolkless egg? He’s really sweet and soft, but... that’s like, it? 

All this mess because of Lucca’s life, and then he just skedaddles home and everything else is still in shambles? Damn. Though, I guess the REAL ROOT of the problem at hand is not Lucca but... HR/the human condition/Ryu’s stupid fight with the deity. Ah. Just stab me already. 

The last scene of YK singing and HR watching regretfully broke my heart :tears:

@romance06

Yeah, I’m pretty sure the chance for romance is compleeetely dead. <_< I’m assuming the writers never intended for anything to happen between YK and HR. Again, damn the fan service! (Okay okay I will stop whining about the romance from now on!!) 

I wish this show had more consistency and logic... I’m honestly pretty disappointed since this show started off so strong... 

Can’t believe we had more than one truck of doom... 

Archived