[Drama 2019] The Devil Is Calling Your Name, 악마가 너의 이름을 부를 때

larus

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So begins Ha Rip's redemption...

The opening sequence to Episode 7 was possibly one of my favourites in this drama so far. It was delightful, heartwarming and deeply moving. Two broken souls with a common love for music came together and gave each other sympathy as well as companionship. We now have a more fleshed out picture of how they met and inspired each other. So yeah, she is really his muse. I especially adored the scene where they both performed "The Street You Left" at a wedding with slightly different words I think (?). I am devoutly hoping and praying that that rendition will make its way to the OST album. Her enthusiastic suggestion that they become a singing duo called Right Atrium and Left Ventricle brought a grin to my face. :D The way she repaired his guitar with such care and got it working again was precious. I've been wondering what it is that HR is allegedly responsible for in terms of ruining YG's youth and dashing her dreams. I would have thought that a lot of YG's issues were of her highly dysfunctional upbringing with poor choices made by the older members of that clan which spiralled out of control. Then it occurred to me that perhaps it was the fact that he gave her hope as well as advice about how to deal with stepdad but then disappeared on her, completely forgetting her altogether leaving her to a life of desperation and social condemnation. I have my suspicions about the night the ashtray met stepdad's cranium. It wouldn't surprise me if someone else was responsible for the deed and YG took the fall. It's the sort of thing she would do.

Like I said last time, she was really that fan that he keeps wishing that he had but in his desperation for success he forgot.

This episode also gave us more of the devil's world. I thought it was interesting that he sees himself as the saviour of humanity. He sees it as his job... obligation even.. to do what he does as a "rescue" mission. His misanthropic, reductionist, extreme view of the world drives him to conduct these transactions. His arc will be to learn about the other side human beings. I don't particularly like his use/understanding of "hope". To me there's a difference between desire and hope. (Not sure if something's lost in translation) Certainly desire can lead to coveting and selfishness but hope is different. Hope is a longing when things are bad that there's light at the end of the tunnel. It's what keeps us going during the hard times. So yeah Mr Devil needs an education. I don't imagine the figure cloaked in white... his true adversary... was God. An angel perhaps. Something in the vein of Michael or Gabriel maybe? It could be the cafe and fishcake stall owner who presides over the affairs of humanity as protector. 

So now I eagerly await Right Atrium and Left Ventricle's first official collaboration.

9 hours ago, RPM said:

He sold his soul for his son Luka.

And now if he refuse Luka will die:bawling:

It's difficult to choose between Luka(son) and Kelly .

Is there really any way he will survive in End.

Well with that I'm hoping there is some kind of twist because we know the Devil don't know all.  He tells part truths or leave stuff out sometime too.  What if Luka wasn't meant to die or still could survive regardless.

Also, sometime sacrifice is the greatest act and maybe that act is the key in HR saving himself.

The devil also has his own lessons to learn. 1. He was not abandoned.  2. Humans are more complicated than he thinks and once he learned this he will start to suffer.  (Maybe he'll also have a change of heart)

When the Devil Calls Your Name: Episode 7

by LollyPip

Devil07-00423.jpg

Today’s episode is all about secrets — the harm they can do and the lives they can ruin. Even a demon can have painful secrets goading him into action, and the most innocent people can carry secrets that keep them from moving forward. But the most interesting thing about secrets is that they can grant freedom when held up to the light, if only one has the courage to let them go.

http://www.dramabeans.com/2019/08/when-the-devil-calls-your-name-episode-7/

Is Lucca really HR's son? I suppose the evidence does seem to point in that direction but I like to keep my options open... considering how twisty everything is. ;) I am a bit confused by his age. The ex said that he was 16 (according to the subs) the first time and then we're told later that he's 10. 10 seems right from what we saw in the hospital room. 

The past is rather more complicated and far messier than previously thought. I had the impression that we had been given all the details about the original transaction between SDC and the CEO on the plane but apparently not. So does that mean that the paternity of Lucca is still in doubt? ;) 

On some level HR ruined his YG's life with his irresponsible behaviour (so there was a lot more to that assault incident with the stepdad which begs the question of whether there's more to be revealed). And yet I don't entirely despise HR/SDC because he wanted so much to play music and be heard. Often I find his lack of self-awareness and his treatment of YG galling... but I understand the desperation too. It's a hard place for creative people. They follow a different drumbeat. All he wanted to do was keep writing music and find an audience for his music. Sadly the world had moved on but he couldn't. I guess this is what the devil was saying about human passions causing them to be greedy, selfish and desperate. it's a good question. How many of us get to do something we love and earn a decent living from it? To balance all of that with family responsibilities. Not too many. It can be frustrating though watching HR move one step forward and then go back two steps.

I have been wondering for some time why it is that SDC didn't remember much about the past and why it's hard but this last episode cleared up a few details. I wondered too why people didn't recognize him until now. I imagine it's the devil's fiddling. 

There are a couple of people I'd like to punch... Lee Cheong Ryul and Ryu in particular. But frankly, a lot of SDC's problems were of his own making. It was his choices and he has to front up to them. He ran away from the past to find success but his success is turning into a farce. And you know, Ryu said it, human beings have free will and that also includes HR so things might not turn out the way Mr Devil anticipates.

Haha... apparently the fishcake stall owner is the devil's dad... so is he God? Or what ?

I thought the last couple of episodes were quite good. Felt like the show really turned the corner after a longish set-up.  Ah well, trust Kdramaland to turn a Faustian story into a soap opera. :P But I'm not throwing my hands up in the air. I'm interested. I really want to know how HR gets out of this mess. If he does. ;)

I should also mention that I really enjoy how flashbacks are used in this drama. It's one of the few dramas I've watched that I find the flashbacks a highlight and actually nicely integrated to the story. Here it's almost like watching a time travel story without anybody actually time travelling... so far... :)

New song's great!

On 8/23/2019 at 11:09 AM, 40somethingahjumma said:

Haha... apparently the fishcake stall owner is the devil's dad... so is he God? Or what ?

Ryu`s dad saved a life. He is close to Yi-Kyung, watching her. WHY?  I am curious to see the confrontation between Ryu and his dad, their story. They are not on good terms with each other.

I laughed when the fishcake stall owner mentioned Seo Dong-Cheon`s name when Ha Rip came. He was surprised like I was. :lol:

I am curious about Kang Ha`s story, how it is connected with Ha Rip.

I cried when I saw what Chief Kang asked the Devil. How did his daughter die? It is connected with Kang Ha`s story?

Ha Rip`s situation is getting more complicated. Now he has to resolve not only Yi-Kyung`s situation  but his own son`s. I think eventually  Ha Rip will agree to give his life to save them but it will be possible? 

When the Devil Calls Your Name: Episode 8

by LollyPip

Devil08-00364.jpg

Until now, our grouchy musician has been assuming he holds all the cards when it comes to guiding his new muse to fame and glory. Unfortunately for him, his muse has a mind of her own, and she’s not about to be told what to do when it comes to her own music. He’s also remembering more and more of the past and how he and his muse are connected, and it’s making it a lot more difficult to plan her downfall when he realizes that it wouldn’t be the first time for either of them.

EPISODE 8 RECAP

more http://www.dramabeans.com/2019/08/when-the-devil-calls-your-name-episode-8/

When the devil calls your name, Park Sung-woong and Kim Won-hae, what is the hidden story of the devil?

1VN576WW7Y_1.jpg

Mo Tae Kang (Park Sung-woong) and Gong Soo-rae (Kim Won-hae) capture the face of the meeting. The hidden story between the mysterious identity of Karate and the devil amplifies curiosity.

https://sedaily.com/NewsView/1VN576WW7Y

I finished ep.9 with Engsub, a wonderful episode. I  love and love this drama so far, music graceful. Maybe just WDCYN will be my Best drama 2019.

Jung Kyung Ho never make me disappointed. I watched his dramas from Time Between Dog and Wolf, and then I were fascinated by his character - HoDong Prince of Ja Myung Go ( It's my favorite drama). Every one of his characters is always charming and profound, even though being a cowardly or dishonorable initially. JKH has always played great characters that kept me focused on drama.

PS: I hope to write more but my english is too bad.

New user here! 

The soundtrack for this drama is so dang good. I can’t get enough of Sondia’s voice. 

Before today’s episode, I was thinking that the drama was going to keep Ha Rip and Yi Kyung’s connection platonic. Are we headed towards some romance between Ha Rip and Yi Kyung now?! Or is the preview baiting romance-hungry viewers like me? 

I can hardly wait for the next episode! 

Devil ep 8

I found it weird that old Ryu(?) can play with fate and basicly coerced Ha Rip to sign the contract. It's unfair for Ha Rip because he didn't initially sign the contract for his own benefit but for his estranged son. The others who signed contracts, all signed for their own benefit. Huuuu

Maybe that will be a loophole and Ha Rip's contract will be nullified? 

I would pay really good money to have all the various versions of The Street You Left to be on the final compilation album. Especially the duets between HR and YG. I love the harmonization and the way their voices blend. But more importantly every single rendition signals a different "era"/milestone in Seo Dong Cheon's journey towards redemption (I think). In the first version there's far more youthful gusto including the innovative streak in the keyboard and guitar riffs. At the wedding performing it with a younger YG, it is filled with nostalgia. He had discovered potentially a new partner. The latest rendition has him rocking with his electric in a duet with YG and the harmonies are great. We have the old SDC and the up and coming KYG bringing together the old sound in a new way. It takes so much out of him that he collapses after that performance and goes out of action for a week. There's no doubt in my mind SDC of old was a wonderful and superb musician.

I'm constantly amazed and enthralled by JKH's performance in this drama. Because this is a tvN drama he won't be handed any awards in a hurry... and I hear the ratings are pretty low so that's the end of that. But by golly I am struck on so many occasions by how good an actor he is. He is so good that HR/Seo Dong Cheon is a completely different person to his last two characters. The scene where he's completely gobsmacked by YG's lack of resentment towards anyone and he's shedding tears which he's quickly wiping off is an example of his incredible talent.  Everything he does feels organic.

I love the idea that there's a SDC revival. It's always great when old songs and singers from a different era get covered and a new generation gains interest in the music of said musicians. My sense has always been that heady commercial success is about being in the right place at the right time.

Archived