[Drama 2019] The Devil Is Calling Your Name, 악마가 너의 이름을 부를 때

larus

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, katakwasabi said:

Isn't Jung Kyung Ho's character a grandpa? Because of this I don't buy any romance. Or is my understanding incorrect? Hahaha

Well that's part of how he sold his soul ordeal or exchange....

*Speechless*

Jung "Freaking Awesome" Kyung Ho... 

*Speechless*

5 minutes into the first episode and I was "Wow... I love this show already"

I had no idea that there would be this much music in this and that in itself was a pleasant surprise. Even though it's hardly a surprise to those of us who have followed his career in recent times, JKH is fantastic here. Truly... The guy is on some kind of career roll that it makes me wonder if he hasn't sold his soul to the devil since Prison Playbook. :P Here he's funny, he's ridiculous, tragic and terrified. And yet there are interesting parallels with his Han Tae Joo from LoM. Weird things are happening... he has little time to waste... and he can't confide in anyone.

This has the potential to be another PP and LoM for JKH. It is so good and hits all the right notes (pun intended) with me. I love the fact that it revolves around music and that there are already so many philosophical and spiritual questions being posed here. What better medium to convey those ideas than through music and musicians... the universal language of the human soul. 

The first few minutes made me think of Klaus Mann's novel Mephisto about an actor who ingratiated himself with the Nazis so that he could continue to perform. I can't remember all of the plot points in that because it was a set text in my undergrad course and I haven't touched it since. But yeah... an artiste that sells his soul to the devil so that he can continue with his life's passion. Other respects reminded me of The Picture of Dorian Gray. The Old Seo Dong Cheon is given a new lease (no pun intended) on life... youth and vitality to be able to achieve his dreams when he signs his contract via a proxy. And then somebody had to quote Dostoevsky too... sheesh... :bawling:

HR's connection with Kim Yi Kyung will I imagine prove to be a fascinating one. They may, as she says... quite literally be "soulmates". A thought that is both intriguing and terrifying at the same time.

The show mixes fantasy and melodrama in an unusually grounded way that everything feels seamless... thanks to the skill of director of Circle... which was one of those rare scifi gems that has come out of Kdramaland. Although it's largely serious there's humour too... when PSW's devil comes calling and HR pulls out (quite literally) all the stops. :lol: Side-splitting stuff. 

Yes, with no lack of irony here I'm sure... the devil is a celebrated actor... LOL... Very suave too... and charming.

It almost feels like JKH and PSW swapped roles from LoM. Hilarious.

Oh gosh... @triplem you need to watch this. Drop something else but definitely not this. ;) 

I really shouldn't have been watching this. I'm supposed to be busy with work and chores BUT Episode 1 was worth being naughty for.

Did I say how much I enjoyed the music here?

This one is definitely a keeper.

3 hours ago, phoenix24 said:

Well that's part of how he sold his soul ordeal or exchange....

So he is a grandpa. Let's see how the romance will be. I'm pretty much convinced his character will die at the end, unless he keeps renewing his devil contract. Ahahaha

• Guest changed the title to [Current Drama 2019] The Devil Is Calling Your Name, 악마가 너의 이름을 부를 때 - Wed & Thu @ 21: 30 KST
15 minutes ago, triplem said:

@40somethingahjumma I am watching :lol:. I’ll juggle them all . I saw first eps yesterday during my lunch break , haha sacrificing my social life . I didn’t realise director is also the one who did Circle. I watched it last year while looking for Kim  Kang Woo’s shows :D. Was good . So now I’m expecting even more from this drama . 

I mentioned this here last night . Any thoughts on this ? 

Hide contents

Initially I thought that man / being who keeps changing form isn't actually a person but it just represents the creative process and emotions that he goes through , as in they aren't literally human beings. But by the end of the episode when he read online that he was constantly plagiarising other people's work , it struck me that the devil sent these inspirations to help him write his hit songs.  And since the devil  is not able to create from scratch , he steals the ideas of other writers and "inspires" HR with them.  So I can now see why KYK was so surprised that her song  was being sung by the idol  , and  HR is adamant that he wrote that song ( which he did of course) but the ideas aren't his to begin with. 

Hahaha... I like the thought that the devil has no original ideas and all he can do is manipulate people and plagiarize from the creativity of others. So while he may be powerful against the petty schemes of humans, he certainly isn't all knowing.

There's almost something New Testament Christian about that. "The thief comes only to steal, kill and destroy." Heh. Wonder what this devil's relationship with God is like. I am curious though as to why he collects souls. Does he feed on them? Too cheesy. Or is it an ego... oneupmanship thing he has going with God? Apparently he's capable of showing mercy... although I'm not sure at the end of that whether it was mercy.

What you say makes sense. It's probably why someone tried to club HR to death because he had inadvertently plagiarized their song and inadvertently destroyed their life. I hate to think how crushed he will be when he realises that the last really original great thing he did was 10 years ago. On the other hand I like where the show is going with the plagiarism angle though because it could be the way for HR to find redemption. It throws up all kinds of interesting possibilities as to how the existential questions work into the narrative.

4 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

*Speechless*

Jung "Freaking Awesome" Kyung Ho... 

*Speechless*

This has the potential to be another PP and LoM for JKH. It is so good and hits all the right notes (pun intended) with me. I love the fact that it revolves around music and that there are already so many philosophical and spiritual questions being posed here. What better medium to convey those ideas than through music and musicians... the universal language of the human soul. 

Speaking of PP, what did you think about JKH possibly being in Doctor Playbook?

Poor PSW.  I love watching bts.  PSW has a couple of good bromance though.

I rewatched Episode 1 with the other half because he likes both JKH and PSW and the kids were out. I mustn't have given it full attention the first time because I missed a few things. 

I was struck again by how Mo Tae Gang said that he had taken CEO Song's soul and was taken aback by the latter's decision to take his own life. It seemed to be an unexpected development. Apparently taking away a person's soul... at least in this universe... doesn't take away the contractee's llife, memories or even their conscience. In fact, it might have the opposite effect. So then it begs the question... what is the point of the transaction and using the soul as collateral? How important is the soul existentially?

HR thinks that MTG taking his soul means taking his life. But according to MTG's conversation with his chauffeur that isn't the case.

If CEO Song and MTG are to be believed, then physical existence doesn't end with the loss of the soul.

As for romance, I suppose the set up is for KYK to become HR's muse and to release music every month as he threatened to do on the live interview. Clearly through her he is meant to return to his musical roots, to make the kind of music he always wanted to.

2 hours ago, phoenix24 said:

Speaking of PP, what did you think about JKH possibly being in Doctor Playbook?

That would be awesome beyond belief. But I thought they'd offered the lead role to JJS. 

*runs off to do a search* Yes of course... an ensemble cast.

Oh wow... two of my favourite actors in one drama... my glass overfloweth... :D

I don't think JKH has ever played doctor before, has he?

Goodness me, it's @cenching How are you dear? It's been a while. Not since Princess Agents, I believe. I thought you were more of a C drama person. But delighted to see you here.

5 minutes ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Goodness me, it's @cenching How are you dear? It's been a while. Not since Princess Agents, I believe. I thought you were more of a C drama person. But delighted to see you here.

It's since PA....:joy: I started to branch out to K drama last year when C drama seems to having a bad drought....until now, none of the C drama caught my attention....:persevere: Last C drama I watched was Ashes of Love....I am waiting for Jing Boran and Crystal Liu drama to releases but it keeps pushing back....:expressionless:

But I really like this Devil drama.....:love: Great camera works, casts, acting and plot so far.....:glasses:

@triplem yea I don't think JKH has ever played a doctor.  Either some action type of character or rich one.  Actually in after school 2013 say he was a doctor.

@40somethingahjumma  What's the point of taking soul and the not really dying part.  This actually makes sense if we go back to everything you said thus far.  If he takes a life before their time then Devil be in pain.  There are rules, limitations, and a sort of balance kind of like with plagiarism ordeal.  In that sense, not sure if he can totally stop one from being human.  Maybe more of like a sort of starting over or about what it is to be human.  This is probably where LS character comes in to play when the devil was concern about HR feeling guilty.  I think the losing tears remark is more than just losing his inspiration and not being able to write song.  The guilt and tears might also be link because didn't it say something about washing away sin which is like redemption?  So something like a gamble between God and the Devil and don't know where soul really goes until they die, but I might be jumping too ahead.    I'm more curious of why it has to be a desperate soul other then the fact it'll be easier to sell their soul.

I have been wondering too, what’s the deal about collecting the souls...?

Anyhow, the Devil took over Mo Tae Kang’s life, could it be because MTK handed his soul to him? Thus Devil occupying his body and life? Is the real MTK already dead? 

@cenching hiii :kiss_wink:

7 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

I have been wondering too, what’s the deal about collecting the souls...?

Anyhow, the Devil took over Mo Tae Kang’s life, could it be because MTK handed his soul to him? Thus Devil occupying his body and life? Is the real MTK already dead? 

@cenching hiii :kiss_wink:

Either that or he let him use him like a vessel.  This would explain why he would be afraid of his ex gf or feel uncomfortable.  Either that or a surprise like ex is supernatural too is a possibility.

11 hours ago, phoenix24 said:

I'm more curious of why it has to be a desperate soul other then the fact it'll be easier to sell their soul.

A desperate soul would first of all be more likely to agree to such a ridiculous contract and be more likely to do whatever he/she is told to do to achieve their goals. I think it's the hunger for success that they tap into to get the desired results.

Perhaps there's an element of the self-fulfilling prophecy. Sort of like Macbeth and the witches. Sure, there's a bit of magic stuff going on to kickstart the process (in his case... youth) but a bit of positive affirmation can go a long way. If you give them the right tools and a bit of positive talk when they're at their lowest, some people can go a long way. On some level he had to work for his success so it's not all plagiarism. HR aka Seo Dong Cheon was talented... YK said as much. He composed and played the instruments for Liver and Gallbladder (great band name) way before he met CEO Oh. 

What I loved about Liver and Gallbladder was how much they reminded me of Simon and Garfunkel. Wonderful duo with great harmonies who have gone on to have solo careers but collaborating where possible. Paul Simon has always managed to stay true to his musical roots and even while he hasn't enjoyed the kind of success of his Graceland album, it's clear that he's always done the kind of music he's wanted to without having to concern himself with commercial success.

The thing with HR is that he hasn't been doing the kind of music he loves. The side-dish analogy was gold. He's done a little bit of everything but nothing that is distinctly his own. Sure he's attained worldly, materialistic success but that success as we're finding out is based on the work of others. Plus the fact that while he has been able to taste success... at the back of his mind he knew that it could be taken away from him when the time came.

What sort of success is that? Fame that rides on the coattails of others and a nagging fear that you could lose it all in a single moment.

I think the question for us is how do we define success... Is money proof that success has been achieved? For me, no. Is getting to do what you love and making some money from it... real success? That's harder. Or is doing something you don't love to look after the people that you love another kind of success? SDC spent all his time and energy on music but refused to take responsibility for his loved ones.

tumblr_pvjk9pWsYW1sk7x4so2_400.giftumblr_pvjk9pWsYW1sk7x4so3_400.gif

tumblr_pvjk9pWsYW1sk7x4so4_400.giftumblr_pvjk9pWsYW1sk7x4so5_400.gif

Spoiler

tumblr_pvjk9pWsYW1sk7x4so6_400.giftumblr_pvjk9pWsYW1sk7x4so7_400.giftumblr_pvjk9pWsYW1sk7x4so9_400.giftumblr_pvjk9pWsYW1sk7x4so10_400.gif

----------------------

tumblr_pvk1p8dsTk1vpmpmko6_r1_400.giftumblr_pvk1p8dsTk1vpmpmko8_r4_400.gif

Spoiler

tumblr_pvk1p8dsTk1vpmpmko2_400.giftumblr_pvk1p8dsTk1vpmpmko7_r4_400.giftumblr_pvk1p8dsTk1vpmpmko1_r2_400.giftumblr_pvk1p8dsTk1vpmpmko5_r1_400.giftumblr_pvk1p8dsTk1vpmpmko4_r10_400.giftumblr_pvk1p8dsTk1vpmpmko3_r2_400.gif

“For nearly 60 years, I had never achieved anything substantial. I rarely took responsibility for anything either. My life was nothing but an absolute failure, so youth, talent, and wealth… were more than just a gift. I was given a life where I could take responsibility… if I wanted to. Some might say it’s an opportunity. Some might say it’s luck… that I was never fortunate to have before. Whatever it was, I thought it was the deal of a lifetime. However… The 10 years he gave me. The 10 years I was given to enjoy my life… flew by faster than I expected it to. I must now hand over my soul as per the contract. I don’t intend to give it up so easily though. Never.”

Archived