[Drama 2019] The Devil Is Calling Your Name, 악마가 너의 이름을 부를 때

larus

I rarely watch drama episodes from start to finish (I have a pretty severe habit of "skimming" episodes), but because of my desire to participate in this discussion thread, I've been trying my best to not skim the episodes for this drama!! 

Before I forget to add! I'm so happy OST #8 has been released!! I'm listening to it on repeat as I type this! 

@40somethingahjumma

I really enjoy reading your posts for this discussion! They are an absolute treat to read; they are ever so eloquent and they give me a lot of insight. I'm just not good at consuming media critically... so I find them very enlightening. Anyway! Your post yesterday really resonated with me—ever since the beginning of this drama, I, too, found myself wishing I liked Lucca more. I felt bad that I didn't care for him too much... After all, there was nothing bad about him. He was always so handsome sweet with his smiley and pure love for Kelly. But something about him always seemed so... distant? I never found myself really feeling like I truly cared about him the way I felt like I cared about Yi-Kyung's character. Like you said, he felt more like a plot device than a character of depth. 

5 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

I don't think now that it is an accident that I've been feeling that Lucca doesn't really belong in that show... Knowing what we now know, I suspect that's intentional.

I guess the show really intended to make Lucca seem like a superfluous (maybe this is too harsh of a descriptor) character! Unless, of course, they bring him back again in the next episode, but I'm assuming that this is pretty unlikely? 

I wish I had more patience... I'm sorry! Ryu is getting on my nerves, everyone!! :rolleyes: I can't wait to see him... change?! I'm looking forward to next week's episode—seems like Ryu's in for some big hurdles. I can understand his original... frustrations about... ethics?, but he clearly isn't addressing his concerns in a sensible way. I don't understand why he seems to think that his ideas of... humanity? and morals? are above that of God's and the angels' since his current actions are abominable... Ryu's got his head up his as-s!! I would say something like "someone please tell him," but his father has already tried to tell him. :wacko:

21 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

He is a child in rebellion

He kind of reminds me of angsty, edgy teenage characters in coming of age movies :D 

OKAY EVERYONE! Can I just say Jung Kyung-Ho's soulless acting blew me away today?! I was seriously impressed by how different he was in Ep12. Ha Rip became an entirely different character. I was genuinely frightened... and I genuinely wanted to give him a swift kick in the knees. I hated him half the episode today lol. Man, JKH did such a good job. I don't want to stop praising him! 

It still kind of baffles me how much HR cares about Lucca when the two barely ever bonded? HR is still willing to have YK sell her soul to the devil for Lucca's sake why? How is it possible that HR has no regard for the relationship he formed with YK? I know Lucca is his son, but... from what the drama has shown, HR actually has a history with YK. I thought he felt bad for her. I thought he felt guilty for stealing her songs. I thought he felt compassion for her. Where did his sympathy and care for YK go? Why are his feelings for YK so small compared to his feelings for Lucca? I know his conscience was gone this episode, but he was pretty tempted by the idea of selling YK's soul to the devil for Lucca's sake before his conscience went out the window. I AM CONFUSED! 

Also! I must say that I hate Lee Choong-Ryul. I hate the wicked look in his eyes... Props to the actor! 

4 hours ago, sadthe1st said:

i think Ra In is very successful in instilling fear in Ryu hahaha every time she appears in front of him, he became a timid devil baby :lol: i like her character in this drama.. much more light hearted and fun!

Yes! I love the comedy relief Ra-In provides! I do not appreciate her hatred for Yi-Kyung, but I can't help but laugh whenever she's on screen. She's a riot! Since the drama has been getting darker and darker, I appreciate how she lightens the mood every now and then. 

Side note ish: I'm slightly annoyed by how the show teased romance last week... only to practically remove all hints of it all over again. I feel so trolled. I know romance isn't the focus of the show, but still! I don't understand what the drama is going for. Why even bother revealing Kelly's crush of sorts on HR if she's going to end up somewhat loathing him and calling him a jerk the next episode? I need more consistency! My fragile heart cannot take this! 

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi @peachfuzz Thank you for your kind comments. :) It's one of the great pleasures of my busy life to be able to hang around here and ramble on about the dramas that I'm watching. It's a bit quiet around here so I'm motivated to keep the fire going in this place. 

Like you said, Lucca is generally harmless and more or less oblivious to what's really happening although I feel that occasionally borders on annoyance. While I understand his desperate desire to meet his birth father, it doesn't help that he goes about things recklessly... especially considering his health issues. Of course he doesn't know that he's collateral in some kind of gambit but he seems to be repeatedly stumbling into things. The blame of course lies squarely on HR's shoulders who's rather half-hearted about being a father. I still think it's guilt that's driving this insane deal to keep Lucca alive. Guilt over not being around when he was born, guilt that he didn't watch him grow up, guilt that he didn't support him and the mother through the terrible illness. HR was never a complete scumbag. I suppose he thinks by doing this one thing for Lucca, it's his way of making up for being absent in the past.

As for the romance... it is what it is. :D The show teases and flirts shamelessly with the audience but at least there are practical reasons why it can't be (for now at least). HR/SDC is so morally compromised that he's willing to use YG as a bargaining chip in his devilish negotiation. Lucca would certainly not approve. I'm sure he'd rather die than see his beloved Kelly used in this fashion. Also HR has become a prisoner of his own choices that he can't see past the insidiousness of the contract. To take one life in order to gain another. What makes Lucca more valuable than YG? Intrinsically... nothing except that the signatory deems it so. It's one thing for HR to sacrifice his own soul for Lucca but to sacrifice someone else's through duplicity... that's another thing entirely. Of course Ryu has manipulated and to some degree messed around with his head but HR doesn't escape responsibility for dragging YG into this. It's like when some wealthy person kidnaps another for an organ transplant with the justification that his/her life is more valuable than the one who forcibly becomes the organ donor.

That's why I said from the start that HR really needs a transformative kind of love. So does Ryu from what I've seen so far. But right now neither of them can see or think straight because they're blinded by anger, fear and guilt. What love looks like for them, I can't say.

Ryu's original question to the deity was reasonable enough in so far as we operate on the assumption that living is better than dying and that evil should be punished with death. "Better" for whom? And who decides? The moment Ryu made himself the final arbiter of who is good or evil... and who is worthy to live or die... he went off the rails. He doesn't have the foreknowledge or omniscience to make that call which is why he can only play games with lives to prove his point. 

Lucca is such a pure innocent soul.. maybe cos he endured sickness and almost went through death when he was young? :cry: i was as heartbroken as him when the conscience-less HR spoke so ruthlessly to him.. he cried so hard :bawling: the ending part.. so the other deity messenger was there to cause the accident so as to set things back to they’re supposed to be? (Lucca was supposed to die when he was 11..) :frown:

in a way, i kinda like it when HR spoke to KH, SH, SY and YG so heartlessly.. the words dun sound pleasing to the ears but definitely, truths hurt.. that’s also how we manage the hurt and grow up wiser.. its definitely better than doing things against our conscience (like how poor SY kept popping pills..) and getting so guilt tripped. :no_mouth:

and poor SY.. i think after witnessing how MTK flung the messenger near his place, she would have guessed that the guy is no longer the same one she was in love with.. i think she is going to play an important role for Ryu’s redemption.. just wondering how its going to be.. we are already at 12 ep and just 4 more ep left.. hopefully the deity will set things right and the real MTK soul will be returned.. at this point, i pity Ryu.. seems like the love he used to have for humans (when he was young) is coming back through his confused feelings for SY :star:

and.. lastly, whats wrong with the dramas i’ve been watching lately?! first i got heartbroken by Hotel Del Luna and now i’m saddened by the poor humans in this Devil show :unamused: ok i need some soju.. hope to see more active posts by my lovely chingus :wub:

(absolutely love the transparent soul joke about Ra In.. that lucky girl keeps stealing kisses from the devil hahaha)

When the Devil Calls Your Name: Episode 11

by LollyPip

Devil11-00341.jpg

This episode is all about fathers and sons, and how the love of a parent for their child can make them do things they would never do otherwise. Many more truths are uncovered, but as always, the truth only makes things more complicated. When one’s soul is on the line, how do you choose which love to save and which love to sacrifice?

EPISODE 11 RECAP

http://www.dramabeans.com/2019/09/when-the-devil-calls-your-name-episode-11/

I just finished two lastest episodes yesterday. I feel very happy to be able to read many posts from all of you, including those who follow silently.

On 9/6/2019 at 7:28 PM, 40somethingahjumma said:

The blame of course lies squarely on HR's shoulders who's rather half-hearted about being a father. I still think it's guilt that's driving this insane deal to keep Lucca alive. Guilt over not being around when he was born, guilt that he didn't watch him grow up, guilt that he didn't support him and the mother through the terrible illness. HR was never a complete scumbag. I suppose he thinks by doing this one thing for Lucca, it's his way of making up for being absent in the past.

I really respect you writing about a lot of aspects, having an overview. However, I would like to add about SDC / HR's sacrifice to Lucca.

The older one gets, the more they aspire to have the love of their descendant, let alone SDC's entire life having lived alone in failure. (Perhaps this is the intention of the writer to SDC is an old man 56 years old). Suddenly he knew that he had a son, and the innocent gaze of that dying child was looking at him expectantly, it struck SDC's desperate soul, arousing the love of the person who became a parent made his eyes bewildered, his steps wandered, his mind vicious about how to save his son.  It is difficult to explain parents' love for their children. If anyone has ever been parent, ever seen their child seriously ill, their life is fragile, they will understand the feeling of being ready to sacrifice life or reduce life so that their children are healthy and happy.

In the beginning of episode 12, there is a replay of the scene of episode 2 (when HR said Ryu stole the song as a scam and asked to end the contract, Ryu burned the contract and threatened that the lives of the people involved. with the contract being changed, SDC/HR scared to put out the fire) he rushed to the hospital to see how Lucca's health was.

I think the writer intentionally set up satellite characters around the two male protagonists in order to direct the two male leads to be more mature in thought and action. The personality, affection, especially the close relationship of the supporting characters with SDC-Ryu affects the two of them. But if the SDC is slowly changing his mind and acting in a positive way, Ryu develops in the opposite direction.

10 years ago SDC was poor and cowardly, now on the peak of success, SDC/HR both felt guilty to YG and saw a YG who always confidently lives rightly and has the energy to surpass fate. In addition, as a father, he saw that Lucca had just overcome death and had a future ahead. They are necessary and sufficient conditions for HR/SDC to decide to live meaningfully despite not knowing what his fate will be like.

Ryu is gradually disturbed by the love of Ji Seo Young, the soul towards the perfection of HR, including Ra In, especially Ryu wants to oppose his father about the perfect soul through YG and the complexity of human, so he acted cruelly decisively. If Ryu had started with positive thought, he would now be bogged down by an evil act that was hard to recover.

The moment Ryu took away HR's conscience and soul, I hated him and could not sympathize like the messenger of the lord.

On 9/6/2019 at 2:48 PM, 40somethingahjumma said:

I don't know whether if JKH is really playing the electric... probably not but he sure looks like Prince when he's doing that riff.

He's a great actor most days but for this drama I think he took it up several notches.

When I watched raw ep 9 , this scene I had nearly 3 hours, I almost went crazy to look back near morning. Until later when ep 9 had sub, I kept watching this scene many times. JKH is an actor with a great charm, splendid acting, or very hard acting, only needs a good script that has a human meaning whether the protagonist or a supporting character. I'm quite picky about dramas but most of JKH's dramas I always watch a few times.

When the Devil Calls Your Name: Episode 12

by LollyPip

Devil12-00339.jpg

We learn why having no soul is such a terrifying thing in this episode, as we see what it looks like after someone loses theirs. Walking around without a conscience seems freeing, but it can be traumatic for those who are being pushed away by someone they care about. But the heavens are tired of being manipulated, and if they step in and take action to stop a wayward child, the resulting tragedy could change everything.

EPISODE 12 RECAP

Devil12-00012.jpg

http://www.dramabeans.com/2019/09/when-the-devil-calls-your-name-episode-12/

Hi everyone

I m sure many of you agrees that the ost rocks? While i like both actress Lee Seol and singer Sondia voices, I sometimes can’t differentiate them, especially when in the drama, Lee Seol is singing the songs which mostly when released for the ost, the songs are sung by Sondia?

Did anyone see any youtube links that extracts Lee Seol version from the drama? She sang quite a lot of songs... :) I am assuming the full song versions on Youtube are by Sondia...??? Or am I wrong? Or the uploaders used the wrong name? hmm...

20 hours ago, larus said:

When the Devil Calls Your Name: Episode 12

by LollyPip

EPISODE 12 RECAP

http://www.dramabeans.com/2019/09/when-the-devil-calls-your-name-episode-12/

I really enjoyed the comment, especially the paragraph below mentioned for my thoughts that I didn't know how to write so I skipped it.

"This can’t be happening. I refuse to accept that Luka is dead. His tenuous hold on life is what started this whole nightmarish situation in the first place, and logically I understand that he’s been living on borrowed time ever since, which was only reinforced when Manager Gong saved his life a second time. But he’s the only good thing Ha Rib has ever had in his life, and he’s literally gone to Hell and back to save Luka, so it terrifies me to think what Ha Rib will do if Luka dies. Not to mention that he’s just the sweetest, most innocent soul in Ha Rib’s life, who never wanted a single thing but for his father to know and love him, and it would be too unfair of him to die thinking that he was rejected not just by the father he’s never met, but by the man he’s come to think of as his brother." (by @LollyPip )

@triplem

I’ve also only had the chance to skim the episode so far but after reading your post, I immediately felt like I needed to say something because I totally share your anger for HR right now. 

The scene where he pressured YK to sign the contract was so UGLY. HR was truly truly despicable in that moment.. Ah. I need something pure and fluffy to soothe my livid soul. 

I thought the same dang thing. I hated how HR became like all the others who severely undervalued YK’s life and reduced her to just a means to save his son’s life. I know he loves his son, but... 

I also really wanted HR and YK to be together a few episodes back, but now I do not want them to be together at all! Even after everything is resolved, I don’t want the two to be together. YK deserves someone who doesn’t treat her soul like an object. I know he’s trying to undo the situation now, but... what’s done has been done. I’m so mad lol. 

And! Lucca has also been hurt in this entire process! Nobody is winning! E v e r y o n e is losing! 

@triplem

It seems that HR will not become an old, poor SDC anymore. However, I think the writer who let YG lose her soul is good, those who used to hurt YG just ignore or feel guilty but they never intended to do anything to apologize or comfort her properly. They need to understand the pain that YG has suffered over the years. 
HR has benefited everything for the past 10 years, it's time for him to repay and repent deeply.

Near the end of the episode, it seemed that HR begged Ryu, but Ryu forced HR to choose between Lucca and YG.
I will hope to wait for romance in the last 3 episodes, because apart from the selfish love for Lucca, HR is still a good person.

4 hours ago, triplem said:

So of course  HR begs ( not even very nicely if you ask me ) to save Lucca.. What pissed me off big time was that this felt like history repeating herself for Yi Kyung - why is her life/ soul  any less valuable than another person's ? The way HR put it - she's done it for her brother before she can do it again.  I am speechless...being the kind and pure hearted soul , she did ...urgh and saved Lucca. By the way she knows now that HR is ahjussi. A couple of eps back , I was still alright if they decided to pursue the romance, but after tonight , that ain't gonna happen . I wouldn't want her to end up with a man who thinks that her soul can be used as barter for someone else's 

Yea talk about lost in translation.  I think  it was more she had 4 wishes and he can use it on brother, her friend..  Although, it was still pretty bad when he straight out say her soul was worthless so minus points for that.

I'm mad, but there are many stories like that.  You save your close ones first, make the bad guy think you surrender, then find solution as you go.  As long as it was always in the plan to save her somehow it would of been more easily forgivable.

@romance06

I did like how all the negative feelings YK might have suppressed came out today :D While I felt terrible for her, I found her brutal honesty satisfying and refreshing. To an extent, it’s quite admirable of YK to care for others so dearly and deeply, but it’s about time she speaks up for herself, I think. And like you said, it’s time for everyone else to realize how much YK has been hurting all these years... 

I know HR didn’t necessarily see her JUST as a tool to revive his son and didn’t intend to ruin her or anything, but he’s rubbed me the wrong way today lol. I guess desperation can do that. I will wait for a better HR to show up (hopefully in the next episode). As for now, I don’t approve of him for YK hahaha. 

hii chingus :kiss_wink: i haven’t watched the eng sub episode yet.. will wait for both episodes to be available then watch them on friday night haha!

but seeing the comments and clips, the whole plot just gets messier and messier.. with only 3 episodes left, i dunno how the whole storyline is going to tie up all the loose ends and end in a satisfactory way :sweat: is the deity going to reset everything back to 10yrs ago before SDC sold off his soul to Ryu? i mean, this kind of ending did happen previously in A Miracle That We Met.. :sweat_smile:

I'm watching ep 13 and half way through. This ep annoys me so much.

I always said I disliked Ha Rip as a character. This ep made me despise him. He made/forced Yi Kyung to sign that dang contract at his own will! Gosh.

Ha Rip has a lot to do to redeem himself. But it's already ep 13. Methinks it's too late to make any redemption feel satisfactory.

I have no clue where this drama is heading and what is in store for the ending. Huuuuuu

Jung Kyung Ho And Park Sung Woong Face Battle Over Lee Seol’s Soul In “When The Devil Calls Your Name”

Sep 12, 2019

93d8fe2d75314653be9070ed414c4207.jpeg?s=

On September 12, tvN’s Wednesday-Thursday drama “When the Devil Calls Your Name” released suspenseful stills of Jung Kyung Ho and Park Sung Woong from the upcoming episode.

Spoiler starts

In the September 11 episode, Ha Rip (Jung Kyung Ho) pushed Kim Yi Kyung (Lee Seol) to sign a contract with the devil after witnessing the death of his son Luka (Song Kang). Kim Yi Kyung, who blames herself for the bad things that happened to others in her life, signed the contract to trade her soul in exchange for ‘salvation.’ However, Ha Rip soon discovered that the devil has played both him and Kim Yi Kyung and decided to get her soul back from the devil.

Spoiler ends

In the newly released stills, Ha Rip is seen paying a visit to the home of the devil. He seems cautious as he looks around to find the souls the devil has collected and wonders whether or not it is possible for him to get Kim Yi Kyung’s soul back.

more https://www.soompi.com/article/1352043wpp/jung-kyung-ho-and-park-sung-woong-face-one-last-battle-over-lee-seols-soul-in-when-the-devil-calls-your-name

I finished yesterday’s episode, but I’ve only had the chance to skim today’s episode!

But honestly, I’m with you, @katakwasabi! I didn’t really feel much better about HR from what I saw today. Granted, I need to actually sit through the entirety of today’s episode, but... I also don’t know if I’m going to satisfied with the way HR redeems himself in the time we have left. He’s such a flawed character, and we’ve come so far... I don’t know if the narrative in the last two/three episodes will be enough for me to view HR more favorably. Dang it, I wish he were a more likable character. 

I’m so upset with HR oh my god!!! I’m still so disappointed in him for pressuring YK to sign off her soul, especially he wasn’t even soulless when he cornered her to sign the paper. ARGH!!!! 

This week’s episodes have really got me thinking about the soundtrack lyrics. Is “The Road You Left” a song about YK from HR’s perspective? 

+can I just say that YK’s family situation side story is freaking heartbreaking? Her father is such garbage.

bts:-

so much fun and laughters lol

i’m going to watch ep13 n 14 when i get home after work! 

could it be music the only way to awaken the soul of YG? specifically one composed by SDC?

could SY be the possible lifeline that stops Ryu from his own self destruction?

Archived