[Drama 2019] The Devil Is Calling Your Name, 악마가 너의 이름을 부를 때

larus

1 hour ago, peachfuzz said:

HR definitely does have too much going on in his head right now; it makes sense that romance can't be at the forefront of his mind at the moment! The whole thing with HR and Lucca kind of puzzles me for the things you mentioned. HR barely has much of a connection with his son at all, so his concern for Lucca almost throws me off. I can't quite understand it, but I suppose it's because I don't know what it feels like to be a parent... I can't grasp parental love? At least not from HR's perspective? But like you said, is it even love or a heavy dose of guilt with a dash of love? 

I agree... which is why I think it's guilt that's primarily motivating HR. They just haven't had a lot of time together to have actually formed a bond. HR didn't even really like Lucca to begin with and now he's sitting at his bedside singing cute daddy songs to him.

Unless of course they're implying that paternal love comes naturally and easily. ;) When the chips are down, dads rise to the occasion. Maybe. Maybe not.

The case for Lucca being SDC's son is strong but it's largely implied through the juxtaposition of certain scenes. Still I can't help being suspicious. And mum's keeping mum.

Of course I am only speculating and overthinking things because it feels that nothing is really simple in this show. We thought that HR was motivated by greed for success initially so he signed the contract. But apparently that wasn't it. Then there's the sorry saga of YG and her stepdad. I suspected that was more to that and so there was... but things played out differently to what I had thought.

I don't discount the possibility that the only straightforward thing in this show is Lucca's paternity ;) but the empiricist in me needs a DNA test. :P Perhaps Lucca is right. Life is like a Korean drama. :D Anyway 6 episodes is a long time in Kdramaland so anything can happen. It would be an exceedingly cruel joke though to do that to HR but it's the devil we're talking about. And he has serious daddy issues. 

1 hour ago, peachfuzz said:

I too am not completely convinced that Lucca is HR's son! So far, we haven't exactly been given solid evidence that HR is Lucca's father, have we? (I'm forgetful... but I'm relatively confident we haven't because you also don't fully buy that HR is Lucca's father just yet, either). It's mostly just been the characters making assumptions, hasn't it? But maybe we're both overthinking things!... (But since I ship the leads together... I kind of really don't want HR to be Lucca's father...) 

Well yes, there's that too. It would be certainly pushing the bounds of a modern taboo. :lol: Though it wouldn't be the first time a woman was caught between father and son in reality or in fiction. A case in point: I recently watched Oh My General... a gender bender boundary pushing C drama... and that is exactly what happened in one of the subplots. 

However, it would have happened in the old days if and when older men married much younger women especially among the nobility. I've seen it in more than one historical drama.

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When the Devil Calls Your Name: Episode 10

by LollyPip

Devil10-00311.jpg

They say you have to hit rock bottom before you can start to climb back up again, but nobody ever talks about what a cruel place rock bottom can be. It’s no wonder that a soul-hungry demon has so many souls to choose from, because desperate people are willing to make desperate bargains. But when one’s soul has already been sold, there’s nothing left to bargain with when tragedy strikes and a life-or-death decision has to be made.

EPISODE 10 RECAP

http://www.dramabeans.com/2019/08/when-the-devil-calls-your-name-episode-10/

@peachfuzz

If I remember correctly, there was a paragraph in the first few episodes, HR was determined not to take YG's soul (or anyone's), he accepted Ryu to take his soul away, but Ryu insisted forcing HR to find a senior soul and threaten to revoke SDC's first aspiration. (the life of his son).

Since HR met YG he has different emotions such as guilt, bitterness, anger, regret ... (@triplem: I really love these words). However, whether HR always feels guilty for ruining YG's life or sometimes being touched by YG's affection for SDC, he is always alert to pursue his plans, he have to take the soul of YG to protect the first aspiration.

Before Lucca was ill, HR/SDC had 10 years of searching for his son when he saw the boy only once in the hospital, with his face unknown. HR always says Ryu is a fraud because HR can't find his son, but HR still tries to follow Ryu's request. This proves that SDC/HR really loves his son, although he is not aware yet. Perhaps he thought simply it was necessary for his responsibility and to reduce guilt.

When HR found out Lucca was his seriously ill son, the son quietly returned to Korea to look for him, beside SDC/HR was performing his best on stage by SDC's song in the cheers and cheers of the audience. A successful HR is in danger of fading, and an SDC that failed 10 years ago nobody cares about his music is being applauded by thousands of people. SDC suddenly realized that his passion for the recognition of his music was an illusion. Because he chose to live selfishly for music, he hurt his relatives. So after the performance, the weary HR came into the backstage, every happy and painful memory was recalled. HR / SDC had to be so painful that he was sick all week, and he apologizes to his ex-wife in a coma (I watched this episode ep 9 many times but I still didn't understand it until the end of ep 10).

Ryu used to say "Don't assume that I did everything. In the human world, you bring more things upon yourselves". By the end of episode 10, I wondered if SDC understood this. In the past, if SDC had chosen his family, maybe he would not fail, without selling his soul to the devil to get the most important aspiration.

Now I wonder if Ryu is gradually being moved by the heartfelt love of SDC / HR for his son when HR is at the peak of success and accepting to give up his own life to save his son. Or Ryu consider this selfish sentiment of SDC which SDC want to take YG's soul as another reason to justify human selfish greed.

I'm writing rambling but I'm honestly very happy to read and share my thoughts in this forum.

Watching the last 2 episodes, made me binge watching the whole thing  again :rolleyes:. I find SDC so  pitiful, always a loner, no family nor friends. Even when he had fallen in love , he let her go, thinking he was sparing her his failure and hitting rock bottom ( failing at providing good life for her and the self shame of not succeeding till almost his 50s. It may be perceived as cowardness  &selfness , which it was somehow . But for him it was his punishment, immersing himself in his failing music alone ). People tend to think loners are just introverts or even anti-society,  pushing people away, but in the contrary most of them yearn for connection, recognition and human presence, yet keep their distance and feelings in check from the surface. Sensitive, piling their feelings , can't express them in healthy ways almost comes to hurtful. But when they fell they fell hard, care the most, and express through actions which speak louder than words.  Most of them become transparent as persons, we all had this one person in class  whom we have never seen him speak or can't even remember if he was in our class :ph34r:. They can excel in their craft or passion or work on personal level but plummet professionally because they cannot blend or attract the right kind of attention.  Many artists gained recognition and fame posthumously , were judged before as troubled or weirdos typically loners. Hence their work was seen through someone else , someone who is not transparent as  they were, so their legacy shines. You can see the difference when SDC was on the stage performing , the crowd was dead but during his band mate's performance girls were screaming at the top of their lungs, although it was SDC's song. when SDC  gave in to the devil, he gave up the connection to the 3 pure and genuine grains of himself (Love , true music and tenacity ), meanwhile the devil fed on  his eagerness  to be seen , recognized and to succeed .

hi chingus :) i just jumped onto this wagon after HDL ended.. currently at ep8..

like how Ryu is curious about the newfound feelings (other than the greed and hatred) in humans and also, his confusion in the heart pounding moments with SY :lol: their scenes really add a lot more fun and chuckles than the main leads.. he did blame Manager Kang regarding the human body he inhabited the previous round where the man had some second family and complicating stuffs.. i’m surprised its only this time on MTK body that he experiences love.

as for HR and YJ.. seriously, if it was the elderly SDC then YJ would have regarded him as a fatherly figure.. but read from dramabeans that they almost kissed?! :crazy: please, NO!! (in case there are HRYJ shippers here, dun strangle me!)

7 hours ago, triplem said:

Looks like Luca is alright but what happened to SDC? He aged again & he has to avoid seeing YK

The Devil's way of giving HR an incentive or strengthen his resolve in honoring the contract.  Reminding him of what is at stake and one of the reasons why he sign it in the first place.

i have to agree with Ryu that humans are selfish most of the time.. the devil only throws in a spark but its the human choice that leads to the resulting consequences :naughty: HR has been conveniently pointing fingers blaming the devil for this and that.. see how YJ has been enduring and surviving.. her positive attitude pushes her further for the better despite the unfairness and cruelty in life she has to bear with since young..

so its been revealed that KH is a judge who has lost his memory, not a guardian angel..

still waiting for the eng subs for last evening’s epi.. can’t wait to see NDR appearance! haha he first appeared as a deity in HDL and now angel (turn devil)  :tounge_xd:

@Ameera Ali i saw u here!! we need to spark the lives of chingus in this thread!! the story is interesting but the forum participation is slow!!!

Ha... I was partly right... It was not YG that took the ashtray and clobbered stepdad with it. I guessed as much judging from how things were framed -- the ambiguity. Not that I would have blamed her anyway if she was on the verge of being throttled to death by a man much stronger than she was, fuelled by the demon drink.

But the elephant in the room is this ... why wasn't that horrible man reported and arrested already? How was this domestic violence allowed to continue and the innocents in all of this took the fall for this man's dysfunctional relationship with alcohol. It's appalling... to say the least. He should have been in jail already. On top of that, why are domestic violence victims blamed for acting in self-defence as murderers? I don't doubt that there's a social stigma attached to having being in juvenile detention.

So my previous analysis that this was a tantrum of cosmic proportions wasn't far wrong. On hindsight, it's an obvious conclusion to come to because of his simplistic musings regarding the foibles of humanity. His confusion of moral categories and sweeping generalizations etc. He is a child in rebellion underneath the fire-breathing. At the end of the day this is Ryu's proverbial middle finger to "the deity". That's what all this soul collecting is really about. Making a point and proving. In a real enough way, his nihilism reminds me of a kind of atheism that is searching for a grid to account for evil. The problem of evil was his stumbling block and it is for many. But then if humanity is so terrible as Ryu is prone to believe then perhaps the deity might be better off wiping them all out in an instant. The irony of course that he is becoming everything he accuses humanity of being. Not sure if he's noticed... don't know if he's sufficiently self-aware. Maybe he just doesn't give a damn. What's certain is that Ryu is not prepared for the unpredictability of humans. 

Will Seo Dong Cheon stand up to the test of having everything taken from him? I hope so. I'm tired of seeing him pushed around by Ryu. I want to see him develop a spine and take what's coming because goodness knows... and he increasingly knows... that he didn't really earn his successes in the last decade. He cheated in essence. 

The show seems also to be suggesting that we're dealing with alternate timelines. Not sure if that's just Ryu taunting HR/SDC for interfering at his behest. Lucca was supposed to die 10 years ago. But he didn't so a new timeline was created. If Ryu is to be believed. The thought struck me that despite what Ryu says or thinks, the deity in his omniscience allowed in his economy for these instances of meddling to occur. Ryu only lost one wing... not both and he's been permitted to roam around buying souls. The deity seems to be allowing this to achieve a purpose.

I wished I liked Lucca more so that I can root for him. Even though I can see the importance of having him around and how key he is to the plot, I always feel like he's the fifth wheel. Plus he's somewhat one dimensional, functioning for the most part as a plot device.

@triplem Yeah, I think SDC should live as himself. To be true to himself and his own style of music. It's gratifying that he's enjoying a second wave of success.

Love all those wonderful comments about JKH. He deserves them. 

@triplem Yea, i was hoping the devil's plan backfire.  In turning HR back, maybe then he will realize it's not so bad living as SDC.

Although, I know many 66 years old, and they don't look like SDC either so I feel like they overdid it with aging especially if we look at LCR.

Maybe the story will turn into saving the Devil as well since he also has a lesson to learn.  Since the story of Devil also kind of different, it would be interesting if HR also was his reason for his fall from grace and he is a newly turned Devil.  This would also explain his lack of knowledge and relationship with HR.  I just fine his argument that all humans are evil weird since his thing is about punishment to evil and sparing good to begin with.

This show certainly took its time flirting around with all kinds of tropes and taboos but it really is going for something bigger and more sophisticated than meets the eye. It's what I hoped it would be and it really is becoming all that... the spiritual, the existential and the necessity of death.

There was something I wanted to say yesterday but I had so many thoughts swirling around inside my head and I forgot... which was bad... because it turns out to be the most important part of the show. Almost everybody in this show is trying to run away from the past... whether it is ten years ago or more recently. But it's clear that the past binds all these people together with all the supernatural baggage attached. It certainly wouldn't be a Kdrama if people didn't have secrets they'd rather have kept hidden . ;) However, some are quite incredible... only if you don't think that there is a supernatural realm where bigger things are taking place than life and death. Secrets, according to the kdrama playbook have a way of catching up with the people involved... and coming to light in an out-of-control manner. At least out of the control of mere mortals. ;) In that regard I have to agree somewhat with HR when he says that there's something very selfish about the Kim family secret. That sort of scenario can be examined from different perspectives. YG takes the fall for something her brother did... is it because he's the eldest son with the most prospects? Mother favours him with a cold pragmatism. But he's not a sociopath because the secret plays on his conscience so much so that he can't have relationships with anyone... not his family and not the woman he loves. The only thing he has is his job. So he can't be happy either despite on the surface having almost everything. It's not that simple of covering up the past and be done with it. People have consciences and desires. They don't always act in accordance to the script.

In this latest episode we see a distinct parallel. Two fathers who can't let go and the devil strings them along so they keep doing his bidding. Children who were in the ordinary course of living meant to depart from "the land of living" at some "appointed time" but didn't because their fathers did a deal with the devil because they were unable to let go. Their desperation to hold on to their children saw them selling their souls, tethered to the devil, forever trapped in a terrible transaction of being manipulated by evil for the sake of prolonging a life. It's really telling in the case of the little girl telling her dad that she had to move on so that he could move on in order that he could be free from the devil's hold over him to live his life. It's what I want for HR as well... it's what I said last week... that there are times where letting go is the key. Holding on and apparently fighting might seem bold and self-sacrificing on the surface but keeps us in a kind of emotional slavery that destroys the existing relationships around us. We see that with the devil's sidekick and with HR. Although I haven't lost a child, I lost my mother. In truth grieving is a long process even if you have a religious compass to navigate through the rough waters. Grieving is necessary so that those who mourn can rejoin the land of the living and look to the future.

My question to HR/SDC is this: What's the point of trying to keep Lucca alive when you refuse to have a relationship with Lucca? He will forever be that fifth wheel in your life that you're always evading, dodging and treating harshly. At least in the case of the devil's sidekick/chauffeur, he wants desperately to maintain that relationship with his daughter. There's at least some method in his madness. I don't think now that it is an accident that I've been feeling that Lucca doesn't really belong in that show... Knowing what we now know, I suspect that's intentional.

It is reprehensible to me that Ryu uses the very best part of who people are to drive them to do terrible things. Our attachments, our ties to turn us into monsters. He scorns humanity for its desires but he's not past using it for his own ends. He's not winning... he's destroying himself in this insane exercise of oneupmanship. And I agree with others here that Ryu's soul is on the line here as well. 

One of my favourite scenes of the entire drama... Great onstage chemistry... I have it on permanent loop :D

I don't know whether if JKH is really playing the electric... probably not but he sure looks like Prince when he's doing that riff.

He's a great actor most days but for this drama I think he took it up several notches.

OMG!!! I am rarely speechless....but this drama is superb!!! I am incoherent, unable to put all of my thought into proper sentences....What a drama!!  Each character written so well and delivered so well, including minor one the dead little girl conveyed so much emotion into the character. So many daddy's issues in this drama which is unusual. I am loving it!!!

Archived