[Drama 2019] The Devil Is Calling Your Name, 악마가 너의 이름을 부를 때

larus

19 minutes ago, nooneor said:

Looks like they’re gonna fall for each other. :o

I don't know why, but I hope there will be no love line between HR and YG....:expressionless: It's feels out of place....I can't really put it into words....:expressionless:

The Street You Left song is absolutely awesome.....Every single version give me goosebumps....The last one was delivered with so much mixed emotions from HR....:cold_sweat:

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From the starting I'm not okay with the relationship of HR and Kelly.

And now I'm sure that HR doesn't have any feelings for her. 

BUT I still feel bad for her why she had to suffer alot , More than HR she seems to be Main Lead character here , I really don't like the story, Waste of such a talented cast and Outstanding Music.

As expected he was ready to sacrifice himself again but Ryu only want her soul as replacement of His wish to save Lucca's life.

Lucca : I like Kelly. 

2 hours ago, RPM said:

As expected he was ready to sacrifice himself again but Ryu only want her soul as replacement of His wish to save Lucca's life.

Well technically Ryu already has HR's soul so that would not be a good deal for him.  Also, in the grand scheme of things,  his father said he doesn't win simply by taking souls.  It has to be Ha Rip as someone mentioned before because there might be a loophole since what he did really was for his son.  Sure he had other selfish wishes, but that was the deciding factor. HR intentionally taking IG's soul, then would negate this sacrificial act.  Also, since IG is falling for him.  HR might also be the only one that can corrupt the first grade soul.  Ryu's point was to always show how horrible humans are.

Okay so I’ve only skimmed through Ep 10... but I’m brimming with emotion. I gotta let some of it out. 

I just want to say that I’m really dang frustrated with this drama! As much as I love the music, it’s maddening to watch. I want Yi-Kyung to be happy already. I don’t want to see her suffer any longer! She’s been through so much already... and it doesn’t look like her suffering is going to end any time soon with the way Ep 10 ended. 

I understand that Ha Rip wants to save his son, but I want him to leave Yi-Kyung alone! Argh!!!!! As much as my twisted heart wouldn’t mind seeing some sweet moments between HR and YK (I know that most(?) of the users in this discussion do NOT want HR and YK to be in a romantic relationship—please don’t hurt me for saying this! I do get everyone’s concerns... The age difference, the fact that HR has nearly been established as a father figure...) , with the way things are looking, I’d almost rather the two never speak again............... 

I want to protect Yi-Kyung!!!!!!!

Hahaha... LCR is also under contract to the devil. That's a nice touch. 7 years ago he made his deal with the devil. I wonder why. Wasn't he doing well? Or was it pure greed...

I'm happy about that development because he's a bit of a bully and it's nice to know that there's someone who can push him around. :P

I had inkling after yesterday that Kang Ha was a lawyer but a judge... LOL... that exceeded my expectations! Someone recognized him and put me out of my misery! Thank you! 

Strangely enough (or maybe not in my case... I like quirky plots) I really like the story and I don't have a lot of trouble buying into everything although I'd agree that the themes don't always mesh well together but at least it's not preachy about what it wants to say. (Still not sure about Lucca but I'll shut up about it) ;) I realise the big age gap romance isn't a popular notion around here and is a bit of taboo for some so I won't harp on about it except that it works for me especially when I look at this as a time travel-amnesiac situation. Kang Ha is not the only one who lost his memories. Besides all that it's not as if the show didn't telegraph some of this at the start. ;) I confess to loving their onstage chemistry in Episode 9.

As previously noted, SDC is a time traveller through his newly regained memories... To me he's jumping back and forth in time so that we can piece together his life history and his relationships with his singing mate, his ex, YG, Lucca, CEO Ji and the devil himself. I keep wondering how is it going to all end... Is self-sacrifice or death or happily ever after on the cards? One thing I can be sure of... it is that both HR and the devil who are undergoing an education. I imagine the devil doesn't really care about the souls... what he really cares about is the fact that he can toy with humans... make them squirm so that he can feel superior because he himself has very low self-esteem. Despite all the posturing, he is very young and simplistic in his worldview. He sees humans through his own inferior, bitter lenses. 

I'm genuinely intrigued by everything. The soap opera elements started off a bit bumpy but now I can see how everything's coming together with SDC weaving his own tapestry. I agree with the devil that most of it wasn't the devil's machinations... it was SDC himself... his choices, his tendencies which led to things being the way they are. Judging from the flashbacks, he could have chosen differently at key junctures in his life. It wasn't all bad. SDC didn't live an entirely selfish existence. He failed to see what was right in front of him because he was fixated with music success. It's the reverse of It's a Wonderful Life in some sense but bleak. ;) Also, instead of an angel, he has a devil as his guide to self-discovery. 

6 minutes ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Strangely enough (or maybe not in my case... I like quirky plots) I really like the story and I don't have a lot of trouble buying into everything although I'd agree that the themes don't always mesh well together but at least it's not preachy about what it wants to say. (Still not sure about Lucca but I'll shut up about it) ;) I realise the big age gap romance isn't a popular notion around here and is a bit of taboo for some so I won't harp on about it except that it works for me especially when I look at this as a time travel-amnesiac situation. Kang Ha is not the only who lost his memories. Besides all that it's not as if the show didn't telegraph some of this at the start. ;) I confess to loving their onstage chemistry in Episode 9.

As previously noted, SDC is a time traveller through his newly regained memories... To me he's jumping back and forth in time so that we can piece together his life history and his relationships with his singing mate, his ex, YG, Lucca, CEO Ji and the devil himself. I keep wondering how is it going to all end... Is self-sacrifice or death or happily ever after on the cards? One thing I can be sure of... it is that both HR and the devil who are undergoing an education. 

Their onstage chemistry in Episode 9 was too good. I constantly feel so torn about the two.. I want them together one moment and want them apart another. Ah! 

I’m also really curious to see how everything is going to be resolved. Things are currently in a state of total disaster (at least in my eyes), and I have no idea what direction the drama is going to take. I hope I won’t be disappointed! I must admit I want a happy ending. I’m going to be absolutely crushed if something tragic happens! 

20 minutes ago, peachfuzz said:

Their onstage chemistry in Episode 9 was too good. I constantly feel so torn about the two.. I want them together one moment and want them apart another. Ah! 

It's not a hill I would die on but I won't deny what I see with my eyes. ;)

I don't suffer the tug-of-war as much. :D For me the real imbalance is that HR is so immature compared to YG... even though she's supposed to be younger. :P JKH does an excellent job with that squeaky, high-pitched almost puerile delivery that I have no trouble at all seeing past the age gap. 

I'm not sure how the show intends to get out of this one. :P And that's one thing I like about it...

I just wish HR wouldn't run to the devil to make deals at the first sign of trouble. It makes the devil more powerful than he really is. It gives the devil the upperhand to manipulate and bully. There's a place for fighting on but there's also a place for letting go, accepting that you've done all you can and move on.

7 minutes ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

For me the real imbalance is that HR is so immature compared to YG... even though she's supposed to be younger. :P JKH does an excellent job with that squeaky, high-pitched almost puerile delivery that I have no trouble at all seeing past the age gap. 

I'm not sure how the show intends to get out of this one. :P And that's one thing I like about it...

I just wish HR wouldn't run to the devil to make deals at the first sign of trouble. It makes the devil more powerful than he really is. It gives the devil the upperhand to manipulate and bully. There's a place for fighting on but there's also a place for letting go, accepting that you've done all you can and move on.

That and the fact that HR looks young most of the time makes it hard for me to not ship HR and YK... I was side-eyeing my own self for shipping the two the past few weeks because the drama didn’t seem too interested in sparking that kind of fire between HR and YK and seemed to want to keep HR as more of a father/mentor character... but then Episode 9 had me full on hoping for a romance. The do-not-want-romance comments make me rethink/reflect on my hope for a HR-YK romance, but.. dang it. The leads look good together. I can’t help myself..! :(

————————

I feel the same way about HR! 

I’m looking forward to seeing HR learn and grow. How am I supposed to wait until next week..

I don't feel any big emotion for all these characters. But yet I'm watching to see how it unfurls.

Anyways..in ep 10 I disliked CEO Ji basicly forcing herself into MTG's house. And she went around, without his knowledge and came out wearing his shirt. That was not okay. They have seperated and out of contact for a long time. It's like YiKyung's manager ex boyfriend situation but a lot milder. Imagine if MTG did this at CEO Ji's house.

I think Yi kyung will be Ha Rip's go to person. I don't think romance is in store eventhough there seems to be hints of it (I hope there's no romance between Ha Rip and Yi Kyung, he's too old). There's also Lucca's mum, Ha Rip still seem to be hung up on mum.

The devil contract is going in circles. Finally Ha Rip seems determine to get Yi Kyung's soul for his son.....which I find interesting/weird since he is connected way more emotionally with Yi Kyung (she is like his child) compared to Lucca. Ha Rip didn't know the existance of his own son until mum came to him asking for money and be responsible. I'm not saying he is free of any responsibility, Lucca is his son but mum chose to keep Ha Rip in the dark before he was so sick 10 years ago. Ha Rip never had the time to bond with his son before that. Even when Lucca came, Ha Rip didn't really bond with him. 

Yikyung can't catch a break. She keeps getting pushed by external factors..sigh

My "objection" toward the love line between HP and IG isn't because of the age gap since I was totally fine with a 900 plus years man dating a teenager....:tounge_wink: Yes, their chemistry as mentor-muse or soul hunter-prey or hero-damsel in distressed are great but they looked so awkward as love interest. Their supposedly "intimate" encountered made me covered my face in second hand embarrassment.

I like Lucca a lot in these 2 episodes, he is so endearing. My take on LCR's contract with Devil is the main reason of SDC's misfortunes similar to IG's horrific life causes by SDC's contract.

1 hour ago, cenching said:

My take on LCR's contract with Devil is the main reason of SDC's misfortunes similar to IG's horrific life causes by SDC's contract.

But his contract was 3 years shorter than SDC's contract. Wasn't his made 7 years ago, and SDC's 10 years ago?

7 hours ago, peachfuzz said:

That and the fact that HR looks young most of the time makes it hard for me to not ship HR and YK... I was side-eyeing my own self for shipping the two the past few weeks because the drama didn’t seem too interested in sparking that kind of fire between HR and YK and seemed to want to keep HR as more of a father/mentor character... but then Episode 9 had me full on hoping for a romance. The do-not-want-romance comments make me rethink/reflect on my hope for a HR-YK romance, but.. dang it. The leads look good together. I can’t help myself..! :(

————————

I feel the same way about HR! 

I’m looking forward to seeing HR learn and grow. How am I supposed to wait until next week..

Maybe I'm one of the few people who look forward to their love line.

I don't think there's an age gap between SDC/HR and Yi-Kyung. SDC was rejuvenated both physically and mentally. Just recently he have remembered his past and should put himself in the position of the old man, so if HR/SDC has feelings for Yi-Kyung it is acceptable.

Right now, the person HR loves the most is his son. His feelings for Yi-Kyung are not strong enough, and then it will never be greater than the love he has for his son. In preview ep11, Ryu will extend the contract for HR, which is a gap enabling to develop HR/SDC’s feelings for Yi-Kyung, besides maybe the memories of SDC and his wife will be reminded.

@40somethingahjumma I would love to read your insightful words, and want to write a lot of things, but my English is so bad that I quietly read and leave. 

Now, because I love this drama so much, I am trying to write every part of my thoughts and share it here.

This is first time to post in any forum in my entire, that is how much i fell in love with this piece of art. Kudos to the actors for doing awesome job, delivering comic relief mixed with heart wrenching scenes making you turn tears to a laugh is a gift . Especially the actor playing "Ha Rip",he  is brilliant, so versatile and expressive ; one of few actors whom  i will keep  track of their work. Nonetheless the plot itself has a lot of  potential ,though there are some flaws, but who cares:blush:  .

Humans are complicated and diverse, characters that come with full spectrum and some come with none of all , you may have the gift to read them but never to predict them . Everyone of them can deal with the same situation differently, good or bad , passively or actively, wisely or rushingly. By the books it may depend on what they are made of, their principles, expertise and what they yield through the years. But in reality everyday is a test with a variability, that you have sometimes to surprise yourself with choices and compromises that you would have never thought you would make , the fine line between black and white  becomes even finer to the point of a merge, so grey seems right .Decisions made of despair mostly to come to hunt you in days to come. You may regret them or you may not but you wouldn't change them anyway.  We are born in a chain reaction sort of a way , one's decision can affect others directly or indirectly, intentionally or unintentionally, good or bad  . Some may get to know the consequences' impact on others, may live through the guilt or the joy, and some may never know. Success, is never all about hard work and making plans, but you always have to  try to stand tall and do your best to the end. Wind can come in your favor, pushing you forward or stapling you to the ground or bring you to your knees pulling you far away from what you yearn for. And here when, the equation of morality with all these variabilities is reformed. As said, some work hard in life but never meet their goals, even worse lose part of them during the process. It doesn't mean they turn bad but only to a shell, losing the joy of being alive just to survive life through the failure of something they love. 

Now the characters, for me IG & Ha Rip is 2 faces of a coin. Both were victims of domestic violence , both were or are hit hard with life, both have to live with the repercussions of their actions slowly and painfully , and both were imprisoned some way or another.

First Ha Rip or SDC, for me; i have never seen his former self blamed others for his misfortunes.  When he was beaten by his father till the age of 18, he had just run away, and when he didn't get the credit from his work from his band mates or the record company ( can't tell ), he got mad, screamed a little then he let it be and left. He acted passively in both situations and continued through his path. Music was his home & the only craft he lived with and by. He was a loner most of his life , no friends, no family, nobody to vent to. Yet he was kind to the weaker and those in need, hence the stray cats, IG and dinner girl, so didn't lose his empathy or kindness still, may be he drank a little but he is human , then he gave up his love thinking he was sparing her his shabby poor life leaving himself alone again .A father's love is born when he sees his child. He was poor most of his life but never stole a thing, surprised to know he has a son , only to see him on his death bed,he rendered to theft.  So technically for me, he was what IG is now, i think that is why the devil came to him, not the vice versa and coerced him to sign the contract using his son .  

A for IG, she was a girl who acted tough, stood up for bullies but took the beating from her father, to find shelter and aim in life with SDC. She took the abuse from her drunken father till an unintended action caused so much damage almost killing him and getting imprisoned for defending herself ( or may be took the blame for her brother hmmm...). Then she became completely passive, not even using words to attack anyone. 

i have a lot of takes on these 2, and how their lives intertwined. but that is enough for the day .

Welcome to @romance06, @Anonymous :). So glad to see you both here on this thread. 

@romance06 I think you've done extremely well to state your views so don't be shy about posting. Besides that this thread is in dire need of serious activity. ;) 

12 hours ago, romance06 said:

Right now, the person HR loves the most is his son. His feelings for Yi-Kyung are not strong enough, and then it will never be greater than the love he has for his son. In preview ep11, Ryu will extend the contract for HR, which is a gap enabling to develop HR/SDC’s feelings for Yi-Kyung, besides maybe the memories of SDC and his wife will be reminded.

Right. I think it's largely one-sided at the moment. HR has got so much baggage that he's lugging around that he can't really think too much about getting involved with anyone romantically. Whether or not he loves Lucca, it's hard to say from my perspective. It could be guilt driving the whole thing. Guilt that he wasn't there for Lucca and guilt that if he had been around, perhaps the lad wouldn't be so desperate to find his father in SK and exacerbate his health issues. 

I am still not 100% convinced that Lucca is HR's son for a number of reasons particularly because the mother has been strangely quiet about it. She hasn't said anything to confirm or deny it. Plus she's not especially weirded out that HR is SDC's son. Were they ever married? That's not clear to me. Of course I could be overthinking things... which wouldn't be the first time, of course. ;) When I said this to the husband he immediately suggested that LCR could be the father which really wasn't what I had in mind. It's possible I suppose and what's interesting is that his mind went in that direction but mine didn't. :D 

Unlike everyone I'm not too worried about YG. She always manages to bounce back and mentally she's in a much healthier place than HR who is one huge emotional mess. Despite her previous notoriety, some of it generated by this demon, she's gaining commercial and critical success inching towards her dream. Besides she has her own guardian angel (or whatever Mr Fishcake Stall happens to be) so she'll be alright. There's also fighter in her which I expect will come more to the fore. HR's the one who needs to develop a spine and not let the devil push him around so much. He's too blinded by guilt and fear to think and see straight. Why should he worry about the demon killing or smoking him... why hasn't he done it already... it seems to me that Ryu needs just as much as or more than HR needs him. All HR has to do is to think through things carefully to see that he has some leverage.

@Anonymous :) I agree with what you wrote in your post about SDC. I think he was so abused as a youngster that he still doesn't know how to stand up for himself. Although he acts resentful and angry when things happen, it isn't a sign of strength but of weakness. He reacts and schemes according to other people's dictates rather than carve out his own way of dealing with the mess. Just look at the way he dealt with LCR when they were still a band and how he deals with YG's independent streak. Despite all that, I find him pitiful. 

Personally I think that Ryu is a fraud on some level. I'm waiting for someone to call his bluff. The more I see of him, the more I think he's not the tough guy he pretends to be.

@peachfuzz While it's good to reflect on other viewpoints, this is just a piece of fiction and I'm sure rooting for the leads as a possible romance is not a sin. ;)

I enjoy their moments together and I think the chemistry's improving. Whether we'll see a romantic happily-ever-after scenario for them... I can't say but I'm fine with whatever comes.

When the Devil Calls Your Name: Episode 9

by LollyPip

Devil09-00233.jpg

Our dubious hero is already reeling from some pretty serious revelations about his past life, but the curveballs just keep coming. He’s spent the last ten years maintaining an iron control of his life, and as it unravels, he starts to unravel, as well. He’s not yet ready to let go and trust others, but he may not have much of a choice.

EPISODE 9 RECAP

http://www.dramabeans.com/2019/08/when-the-devil-calls-your-name-episode-9/

@40somethingahjumma

Thank you for reassuring me/telling me that rooting for a romantic relationship between the leads is not a sin! :D I was really feeling like it was a sin. Sometimes, I feel so incredibly aware of others' opinions that I find it really difficult to stand by/voice my true feelings. 

HR definitely does have too much going on in his head right now; it makes sense that romance can't be at the forefront of his mind at the moment! The whole thing with HR and Lucca kind of puzzles me for the things you mentioned. HR barely has much of a connection with his son at all, so his concern for Lucca almost throws me off. I can't quite understand it, but I suppose it's because I don't know what it feels like to be a parent... I can't grasp parental love? At least not from HR's perspective? But like you said, is it even love or a heavy dose of guilt with a dash of love? 

I too am not completely convinced that Lucca is HR's son! So far, we haven't exactly been given solid evidence that HR is Lucca's father, have we? (I'm forgetful... but I'm relatively confident we haven't because you also don't fully buy that HR is Lucca's father just yet, either). It's mostly just been the characters making assumptions, hasn't it? But maybe we're both overthinking things!... (But since I ship the leads together... I kind of really don't want HR to be Lucca's father...) 

- - - - - - - 

I don't doubt that Yi Kyung will bounce back no matter what happens because she's one heck of a strong person, but I still don't want her to get hurt anymore! :( And especially since she has a thing for HR, I am dying inside at the thought of HR pretty much breaking her heart. She hasn't been surrounded by a whole lot of good people her entire life (like she deserves to be :angry:), and I don't want her heart to be scarred any more than it already has been! Sigh sigh and sigh again! 

Archived