[Drama 2019] The Devil Is Calling Your Name, 악마가 너의 이름을 부를 때

larus

Omg, cafe ajussi is definitely an angel or God! Personally, I think he's YK's current guardian angel.

And we're finally getting hints of Kang Ha's past! I still think he's YK's original guardian angel.

Lucca also thinks he himself is SDC's son! 

I'm excited that it seems my theories are all correct! 

Also, I'm kind of hoping HR will act as SDC's secret son or younger half-brother with big age gap.

SDC is 66. And I think HR is 26-36? So at least 30 age gap... lol it will be kind of fun and explains reasons like why he's familiar with SDC and has his stuff. Besides I want his secret to be hidden longer, especially from Lee Choong Ryeol.

Oh, do we finally get to see what was SDC's first wish?

Since HR is asking to see if it was granted, I still go by my theory that his first wish was for somebody else. Either saving their life or helping them to live better life.

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Episode 6 was terrific in my book. It must be one of those things in dramaland at the moment whereby the even numbered episodes seem to be better than the odd numbered ones. Despite HR's Machiavellian voice-overs, there are moments where you see... despite his attempts to stay business-like... these glimpses of genuine interest and care. This is what makes JKH's acting so good for me especially when he plays these antihero types. He's not a nice guy... that's Lucca's role... but he's not so terrible that he's irredeemable. YG is talented undoubtedly. It's clear that despite his own agenda, her inner goodness and musical abilities is gradually winning him over. Consequently her vulnerability touches something inside of him... his dormant protective side. 

I was struck by how aspects of the template of this show reminded me of My Fair Lady/Pygmalion. In Shaw's original play -- Pygmalion, there was no romance between Higgins and Eliza Dolittle. But in the Greek legend Pygmalion fell in love with the sculpture that he had fashioned. According to Ovid's telling, Pygmalion asked Venus to give him someone who resembled his sculpture to love and she granted him his desire through bringing the sculpture to life.

I have no idea if romance is slated between HR and YG... it doesn't bother me either way. But I am fascinated by how the drama is using a tried and true cold jerk softens under the influence of the optimistic determined candy girl trope in combination with the Pygmalion myth. HR thinks he's fashioning his own first grade soul in his trade-off with his deal with the devil but the reality is that her influence over him has the potential to be more substantial and significant. He's only thinking of musical success but her effect on him is about the far more important issue of character.

My Fair Lady is one of my favourite musicals of all time. Shaw's wit combined with the genius of Lerner and Lowe gave us a gem. And for me the parallels with this are compelling. It took a while but the outlines of the canvas are beginning to show. It begins with a challenge... a bet if you will... and a boast. A girl who is at the bottom of the food chain . An arrogant, supercilious male lead who thinks he can transform someone's life completely.

The devil here takes a rather misanthropic view of things.. and certainly he has reason to judging from the dregs he's picked up over the years. Human beings are capable of terrible things and perhaps many would sell their soul for worldly success. "What does it profit a man if he gains the whole world but loses his soul." However, unlike our devil, I think human beings are redeemable and much more complex than he thinks. It's easy to look at human history and take a very dim view of the human race... but only if we disregard entirely the beneficial contributions of individuals and cultures. If it's perfection we're looking for, we'll never find it. But if we can see the light in the darkness, there's reason to hope.

What was helpful too was more insight into the supernatural realm that belies the glamour facade that accompanies soul transactions. It's a scene out of a horror film as was the devil's repossession of MTG. However, happily MTG's memories are really messing with the devil which is fun. The devil's chauffeur is also becoming something of a dark horse. He's not completely under the thumb of his bullying master. Clearly losing his soul hasn't turned him into a complete puppet. He is showing that he has a mind of his own.

I have a feeling that there is going to be no romance between HR and YK. 

Because writer made SDC's age 66. And HR sometimes acts like a grandpa. Even YK points out on it.

Most importantly, they met when HR was aged SDC and YK was not an adult. The big NO was flashback where SDC lied that YK is his daughter. 

I think Lucca is there to remind viewers that HR is not YK's love interest. 

If writer is planning to make HR and YK into a couple, then the writer is very terrible at it.

If they are going to be a couple, at most SDC should be in his 40s or maybe 50s since it seems YK is about 30 years old. For them to get together, HR should remain as HR, not SDC. And they should have never met when YK was still not an adult. Lucca should not exist too. Lucca reminds viewers of HR's actual age.

34 minutes ago, KDrM said:

I have a feeling there is going to be no romance between HR and YK. 

Because writer made SDC's age 66. And HR sometimes acts like a grandpa. Even YK points out on it.

Most importantly, they met when HR was aged SDC and YK was not an adult. The big NO was flashback where SDC lied that YK is his daughter. 

I think Lucca is there to remind viewers that HR is not YK's love interest. 

If writer is planning to make HR and YK into a couple, then the writer is very terrible at it.

If they are going to be a couple, at most SDC should be in his 40s or maybe 50s since it seems YK is about 30 years old. For them to get together, HR should remain as HR, not SDC. And they should have never met when YK was still not an adult. Lucca should not exist too. Lucca reminds viewers of HR's actual age.

Heh. I always thought there will be no romance. It doesn't make any sense if there is any romance between Ha Rip and Yi Kyung because he's too old (I'm aware it can happen in real life but those are very rare cases). Also he's bound to die when the deal ends unless there's a caveat or loophole that can make him remain young or even immortal. Even if that happens....it is still weird. And I'm not on board. Hahaha

Lucca is...not a match for Yi Kyung as of ep 5. They can be friends but not more than that. 

Maybe this drama will have no romance at all..similar to LoM. LoM had no romance, but viewers (me included) were shipping Tae Joo and Na Young for the little interaction they had. Seriously they were so cute, but romance was never the pushed further in the drama.

2 hours ago, KDrM said:

I have a feeling there is going to be no romance between HR and YK. 

I wouldn’t mind if their no romance between them , I more interesting in Mr Devi love life  :joy::mrgreen: 

Spoiler

5d5698af2c978673438401.gif?download

5d56995caf74f041259744.gif?download

5d5699c61a72e432126264.gif?download

5d56b0a762282164983644.gif?download

I super love this drama especially the songs.  I really like the chemistry between the devil and HR.  They are hilarious together.  

Looks like cafe ahjussi could be YK’s guardian angel and i am hoping the devil will end up cancelling HR’s contract and everyone lives happily ever after :lol:  He seems to be getting a bit human now.  

I wonder if this drama is going either "show" God like Dokkaebi ("Goblin") or hint at the existence of God like Angel's Last Mission.

Ryu, the devil, does talk about God, but he doesn't seem to know God personally. He actually talks like Wang Yeo (grim reaper in Dokkaebi) before Yeo "met" God.

It seems Ryu knows God exists because he himself (devil) exists, but he never met the God. 

I'm actually hoping this drama "shows" God.

I really love Butterfly God in Dokkaebi. That God is really interesting. So I want to see another interesting God in new kdramas.

Did anyone notice the devil’s sidekick lingering around YK’s performance at the end of the recent episode? I’m starting to wonder if he is YKs biological dad...and maybe that is why pre-HR, she was being abused by her stepdad and basically going through utter torture in life even before HR made a deal with a devil despite being first grade soul. Maybe she started being abused when devils sidekick made a deal with him.

then there’s cafe ahjussi, who I also thought might be her biological father but him magically knowing HR is SDC has me convinced like others that he is her guardian angels. Then...Where does KH, HRs amnesiac roomie come in?

well don’t forget guys, we also have someone that hates HR and tried to kill him but there was never investigation because music label didn’t want reporters to find out about it. So the criminal has yet to be found..is he linked to KH? No clue, but this may be all tied together. 

Is lucca SDCs son? Well if memory serves...HR has only been HR for ten years right? So if Lucca was his son, wouldn’t he have any memories of SDC? I think he could be his grandson and his mom the daughter. We do know it’s highly possible SDC had a child cause we saw him give his wife stolen money at the beginning episodes. 

Maybe I am in the minority...but I ship our lead. I just feel like they our soul mates and who doesn’t wanna see that kind of bond in a romantic light? I respect if they keep it platonic and innocent though, cause at least I have my devil and ceo XD

what did SDCs rival band mate do to YK? She seemed absolutely stunned by him. Also does he know about Lucas identity? He’s in contact with Lucas mom. (Even said ohh think of me as ur dad...the irony...maybe another hint L really is SDCs son?) so he must know the truth about L’s birth secret. 

I just finished ep 6..and I have many questions as usual. :lol:

Some of my questions are....can Ryu apparate or teleport? He pops up wherever he fancies. Also can Ryu make himself invisible? It seems that people don't see him around. In ep 6, it looked like CEO Ji ran through him, like he's a hologram. I'm confused with Ryu/Mo Tae Gyang. Ryu is borrowing Mo Tae Gyang's body....but he is doing un-human stuff in a human body. What are his limits? Huhuhuhu

1 hour ago, philosophie said:

Did anyone notice the devil’s sidekick lingering around YK’s performance at the end of the recent episode? I’m starting to wonder if he is YKs biological dad.

I think it just shows that YK makes other people root for her. Even if he works for Ryu, he can't help but to root for rank 1 soul, symbol of human goodness. 

Then...Where does KH, HRs amnesiac roomie come in?

I think he's YK's original guardian angel before YK went to prison.

well don’t forget guys, we also have someone that hates HR and tried to kill him

They already found out that it's a young guy who also killed HR's cat. The guy basically confessed it.

That's why later Ryu, devil, made the guy suffer the pain of death. He's the same guy Ryu stole the soul right after the contract, granting the wish that his siblings kill their parents. 

I think he could be his grandson and his mom the daughter. We do know it’s highly possible SDC had a child cause we saw him give his wife stolen money at the beginning episodes. 

Grandson fits the age if HR's woman had Lucca when SDC was in his 20s. (I'm not even sure if he married the woman)

But Lee Choong Ryeol says SDC didn't date, which means SDC dated his woman much later. So at least in his 40s, which makes more sense. Lucca is in his 20s (I forgot his age. It was 20 something.) and SDC is 66.

We do see SDC flashback looking aged and telling the woman to leave. 

Maybe I am in the minority...but I ship our lead. I just feel like they our soul mates and who doesn’t wanna see that kind of bond in a romantic light? I respect if they keep it platonic and innocent though, cause at least I have my devil and ceo XD

I agree. I ship them too. They have great chemistry. And they are definitely fated just like YK loves to point it out.

But at this point, it's very unlikely that they will be romantically involved. The writer have put so much stuff that makes viewers not ship them.

what did SDCs rival band mate do to YK? She seemed absolutely stunned by him. Also does he know about Lucas identity? He’s in contact with Lucas mom. (Even said ohh think of me as ur dad...the irony...maybe another hint L really is SDCs son?) so he must know the truth about L’s birth secret. 

I have a theory that there was a time when Lee Choong Ryeol might have met SDC when they were aged, and YK saw their interaction that caused YK to be scared/cautious of LCR. Maybe she even interfered, and LCR might have hurt her.

LCR has face blindness and it was a long time ago enough for even HR to not remember YK.

I don't think he knows about Lucca's birth secret. He doesn't seem to even know SDC had a woman. 

I also don't think he has Lucca's mom's contact. The sub must have gotten confused when LCR was talking about LCR's mother-in-law calling LCR.

And LCR saying "think of him as Korean dad" is just him trying to sweet-talk Lucca because Lucca is son of prime minister. 

9 hours ago, philosophie said:

I'm fine with our leads being romantically involved because of the context. It's a crazy supernatural fantasy for the most part so I can suspend my own biases for a drama. ;) And it's not the first time a much older man ends up with a much younger woman in all of human history. It's only become a taboo in recent times because conditions for women have much more of a say about who they marry. 

The only thing that concerns me is that we get a kind of A Star is Born ending which I'm bracing myself for. :unsure:

As a whole I'm not sure about anything in this show. We're not even halfway through the drama and we certainly don't know how entirety of the devil's universe works. I'm not even convinced Lucca is SDC's long lost son. Lucca thinks he is but that's all. He could be but it could just be a case of Lucca watching too many Korean dramas. So until he does a DNA paternity test... yeah... it could end up being wishful thinking. (Although I'm a great believer that musical talent runs in families which... could be more nurture than nature)

I don't really see romance on the cards for Lucca and YG either. He's nice and friendly to her... but he's nice and friendly to everybody. Still this is a rather unpredictable show... I suppose anything can happen.

The funny thing is I am not really sure of the romance. Not 100% opposed to it or for it.  I haven't found an emotional hook yet so I think I'll just go with the flow. At this point, all I can say is that HR and YK are musical soul mates. They connect in that sense because of their shared history. He was her emotional shelter in times of trouble , so at that point she saw him as a father figure who protected her . Now , he seems like her mentor. The drama does give small hints of him seeing her as a woman but I wonder how that will change next week when he realises she was the young girl who taped his guitar. Nevertheless , if romance is on the cards, I hope it is done well. And I agree that YG and Lucca ain't gonna happen. Mr sunshine is fixated at looking for his father 

Romance aside , i think what moved me more was when HR realised that his original works from the past are appreciated by someone. There was  this tinge of regret when he said that he would not have sold his soul if he even had someone like his music. So HR is not really after fame or fortune but rather appreciation for his songs.  

You know what I am most bugged by...why is Ryu/ MTG going to so much trouble to find a Level 1 soul? Why does he need one?  Can he not recognise one immediately? So it dawned on me that perhaps in his entire soul acquisition business , he has never come across one - after all he says that humans are even worse than the devil. So it must be a surprise to him that Ha Rip is able to bring him one , which is why he is testing her non-stop. So this means that Ryu never meant to keep his promise to Ha Rip , because he thought it would have been impossible to find one.

I am so amused by the side romance btwn MTG and CEO Ji. He is falling for her isn't he? It is not just MTG's memories that are confusing him , I think he is actually  feeling something! But then again...can the devil fall in love...oh well the rules of this universe are in the writer's hands. However if in Goblin  the grim reaper can fall in love, why not the devil here eh? :D

i really like the show so far. it's really quirky and strange. i think it's a first for any kdrama i've seen. not the premise but the whole style of this show, even the coloring. i think that 'a star is born' (well, the third remake) came out at a perfect time, you can see the inspiration there (though i know it's based on faust!) also reminds me of whiplash in context (Great film)

JKH as HR is something else. he's so perfect and cowardly in that role when he wants to be, then commanding in other times. he's not quite a hateful character, and it could be whatever little charm he has, or maybe it's because we know just how empty he is that you can stand to watch him.

he's a good musician, even great, but he couldn't deal with what happened, didn't really try to fight, was bitter about his material being stolen but didn't notice his talent and make peace with it. he would have truly been remembered and made history at some point, too. these are all made for the show, but the music is gorgeous!

i love the whole vibe of this.

re: romance...i think yi kyung and LUKA~* and ha rin serve different purposes and they're all seen as kids by the older ones (lee el, jkh, psw) 

for ex:

Spoiler

Screen-Shot-2019-08-17-at-1-20-52-PM.png

Screen-Shot-2019-08-17-at-1-20-53-PM.png

Screen-Shot-2019-08-17-at-1-20-57-PM.png

Screen-Shot-2019-08-17-at-1-20-54-PM.png

extra notes:

Spoiler

i think the two of them are destined to collaborate and the fact that she has this deep love and appreciation for the music. i wonder about the other songs he wrote and the owners (also the mention about it not being the first time he's been accused of plagiarization!) it's interesting that since the beginning they've made it clear (and you can hear it, like how much better the song is with her voice and not as this cloying pop song) that he's without any inspiration or true heart and feeling in his music (which is what L&G had. full of strife, frustration, beauty) 

no one knows where it's coming from. it's not even that he's genre-hopping, it's that his genius means nothing when looking for something to tear into that's not just the same pop song over and over. 'muse' is too light of a term, in fact the show grinds against this idea of a muse because what that really means is sucking the life out of your muse to use for your own gain. instead of collaborating and propping your partner up. unlike what his partner did.

there's also a plethora of respect and realizing people are more with what they present. the way the show makes something that's like slice of life supernatural is entertaining. even when i feel like the show's meandering i'm really engaged in this world they've made. there's something really sweet about it--about to watch ep 5+6 now. 

does anyone have a full translation of the 'soliloquy' / talking to myself (the song she sings on stage) because i can't find a full one. in the translations i have there's this line "this will all pass i held back my tears as i counted the stars i'm sure it'll all pass. i know i almost broke down because of what i wrote in my diary yesterday and i know i'm exhausted" i'd just like the whole song in a broader context. 

On 8/9/2019 at 8:16 PM, katakwasabi said:

It feels like I'm watching this drama differently from many here. I have yet to find any character that I want to root for...I have many questions and many differing thoughts.

shortening the quote but it would be interesting to see what demo falls into this. like for me, an artist, all of this is so plausible, normal, surreal? almost. idk. but different frame of references seeing it differently. for me it's all about how normal this behavior is and needing to be shown a reason why it doesn't have to be.

lee seol is so interesting looking, which i really like...

i also don't think that the grade one soul is a real thing tbh. he was right, it doesn't really exist i think because things change. there's time and circumstance. but also no one is pure and it's human to get angry but it's good people that try their hardest even if they do make mistakes. i think the show is getting at the fact that our foundations have no inherent nature, it's what we've seen and learned and it's not that simple. so it wouldn't have mattered if her "curse" was tame or not.

also i looooove the crowd of fans being mostly girls lmao

I'm fine with our leads being romantically involved because of the context. It's a crazy supernatural fantasy for the most part so I can suspend my own biases for a drama. ;) And it's not the first time a much older man ends up with a much younger woman in all of human history. It's only become a taboo in recent times because conditions for women have much more of a say about who they marry. 

The only thing that concerns me is that we get a kind of A Star is Born ending which I'm bracing myself for. :unsure:

i don't think the show is going for this tbh and i don't think it would be expressly...mature writing. the reason you stated the 'taboo' theory proves that. it's less about the gap and the power imbalance which is HUGE in this case. part of the issue with ASIB was that power imbalance and the addiction and depression and their co morbidity rate. it lead to co-dependence and his loved ones failed him, including because of the surroundings. they both look young, but it would be a bizarre message esp in a show that seems to respect that age comes with way different experiences in life.

@jongski i agree with you about ep 3. finding homeless people...i hope that was a metaphor or something though because those who are homeless would be the "most desperate" because they somehow lost in life and aren't even human. otherwise, it's so gross. 

13 hours ago, disembody said:

i don't think the show is going for this tbh and i don't think it would be expressly...mature writing. the reason you stated the 'taboo' theory proves that. it's less about the gap and the power imbalance which is HUGE in this case. part of the issue with ASIB was that power imbalance and the addiction and depression and their co morbidity rate. it lead to co-dependence and his loved ones failed him, including because of the surroundings. they both look young, but it would be a bizarre message esp in a show that seems to respect that age comes with way different experiences in life.

I honestly don't know what the show is going for. Which is part of the charm I imagine. ;) While I'm happy to have a bet each way, I'm not especially bothered how things progress in that area as long as some justification is given. 

Whatever else this drama might end up being, this is still a K drama and the power dynamics in most K romances are usually very imbalanced (mostly tipped in favour of the ML) except that it is often romanticized as a Cinderella story. Moreover the spoonful of sugar that makes the medicine go down is how the female lead is usually instrumental in affecting transformation in the male lead. Their eventual romance ends up with him becoming reliant on her.

Again... I'm not saying definitively that there will romance between the leads but I'm not discounting the possibility altogether because this show is odd and unpredictable. ;)

It's also instructive that YG has some leverage over HR except that she chooses not to use it. On top of that the drama demonstrates that HR needs YG as much she needs him... in fact, I'd venture to say that he needs her more than she needs him because his eternal soul is on the line.

Interestingly enough... the same kind of discussion came up in My Ajussi. I'm fine with a platonic male - female relationship... or an uncertain situation which could be left to the viewer's imagination. 

21 hours ago, triplem said:

Romance aside , i think what moved me more was when HR realised that his original works from the past are appreciated by someone. There was  this tinge of regret when he said that he would not have sold his soul if he even had someone like his music. So HR is not really after fame or fortune but rather appreciation for his songs.  

This is a really good point. But my feeling is that it was an afterthought, not necessarily something he consciously knew at the time. It was certainly why he was still writing songs even when he was at the end of his rope. The thing is he did have a fan... YG... but at the time he didn't realise what he really wanted was acknowledgment not the trappings of success. He only came to that realisation later sadly... after he had already made his deal with the devil. The fact that his success of the last 10 years was not of his doing made the whole thing feel even more hollow.

46 minutes ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

I honestly don't know what the show is going for. Which is part of the charm I imagine. ;) While I'm happy to have a bet each way, I'm not especially bothered how things progress in that area as long as some justification is given. 

Whatever else this drama might end up being, this is still a K drama and the power dynamics in most K romances are usually very imbalanced (mostly tipped in favour of the ML) except that it is often romanticized as a Cinderella story. Moreover the spoonful of sugar that makes the medicine go down is how the female lead is usually instrumental in affecting transformation in the male lead. Their eventual romance ends up with him becoming reliant on her.

[..]

This is a really good point. But my feeling is that it was an afterthought, not necessarily something he consciously knew at the time. It was certainly why he was still writing songs even when he was at the end of his rope. The thing is he did have a fan... YG... but at the time he didn't realise what he really wanted was acknowledgment not the trappings of success. He only came to that realisation later sadly... after he had already made his deal with the devil. The fact that his success of the last 10 years was not of his doing made the whole thing feel even more hollow.

yes very subjective and it also depends on the way you see the world. it's in the realm of possibility but i would personally find it very hm "unethical" within the set of rules the show has set up. but i think part of it is that we expect this whenever we see a man and woman on screen no matter the context. i also think that the show acknowledges that imbalance instead of pretends like it doesn't exist.

it's talking about a muse but in what context? as someone you can suck all their soul from while you reap the rewards? more often than not, this is a woman. it's no coincidence YK is a victim of domestic violence and found solace from someone via music. an older man, down on his luck, who has genius but someone who is better and can help you think deeper. so many women are ignored due to shine being stolen by a mentor or a partner or those who are both (which is even worse.) so far the show has heavily explained, at least the way i've interpreted it, that a muse is a pejorative. (i look at the writers other works--very female centric, very focused on autonomy and equity even if done not great. it definitely gives me an impression of this work.) 

i agree totally with "he needs her more than she needs him" and that's the conundrum really.

re what @triplem said and you quoted i think you've both got it on the nose. his fulfilment was being acknowledged for his work and talent but back then he didn't understand what that acknowledgement looked like. he had to have known there were fans, even one or two around back then and there were. on top of all the other everyday themes there's a look at the creative/artistic process and how we interpret it. he was about to let his whole life pass by even further by equating how big he is with the mark he left/has left/could leave (and i guess he did essentially) 

searching for sugarman is about a bunch of things, a big part of it is how music/art can literally change nations, but the fact that no one knew who this man was. this insanely popular artist whose music is almost integral to the anti-apartheid movement was unknown as an entity but his music spoke forever. it seems as if he affected no one, but he did both in his country (US) and outside of it. 

"if a tree falls in a forest, and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?"'

the director of searching for sugarman commited suicide and here's a piece from the guardian about him. its' interesting to read his process and approach and sad to look at the ending of a life.  

the show certainly poses a lot of moral/ethical questions and the genuine-ness of a craft. i don't know if it always succeeds but it's definitely tapping into an unexplored type of presentation esp in kdramas

16 hours ago, triplem said:

However if in Goblin  the grim reaper can fall in love, why not the devil here eh? :D

heh. Grim reaps in goblin basicly have human traits, and their old memories locked away. Ryu is another entity inhibiting human bodies. But...it can happen I guess. It happened to alien in You Who Came From the Stars. Hahaha

Anyways...I just realized my theory about Mo Tae Gyang being a grade 1 soul was wrong after ep 6. Ori MTG made a deal with Ryu and even stabbed the body Ryu was inhibiting back then. Eeeeepppp. I'm not sure if ori MTG is still alive or not. I think he's a zombie ala what happened to cat killer in ep 6.

Archived