[Drama 2018] A Promise with the Gods, 신과의 약속

0ly40

13 hours ago, Lmangla said:

since the adultery law was repealed, my guess is that the court scene we saw in the beginning may actually be a custody battle for joon soo. based on how ji young is acting now, my guess is that she might try to take away joon soo as she never signed away her parental rights and na kyung fights like a tiger.

@LmanglaI think that your guess is right, however if she is the defending mother involved in a custody battle, she can't be the lawyer too, represent herself? Is that allowed?  it makes more sense that the custody battle is about Jeon Soo because in that scene Na Kyung accused Ji Young about an affair. But she can't be the lawyer in her own custody battle can she?

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While the characters frustrate me at times (Well, Na Kyung does more than frustrate me) I find them relatable. I actually find Ji Young the most relatable.

I did feel for Jae Wook when he was explaining to Na Kyung why he couldn't move on from the past, but he's such a wuss when it comes to his father, kids and women that I just want to knock him on the head. 

21 hours ago, zenya22 said:

I agree that between Jae Wook and Na Kyung there is no love, but dislike, anger and mistrust. With Min Ho and Ji Young, in my opinion, there is love. For Ji Young it is not the passionate love she had with Jae Wook that shook her earth but a love that calms her world. She trusts in Min Ho's love. It stabilizes her. I see Min Ho's love as strong and unconditional and not as a tolerant martyr. He was the one who gently confronted JY to let go of her overprotection and removed the menu, recipe, cook books and health books meant for Hyun Woo from their kitchen. That evening he opened her top and to show the surgical scars on her chest and started applying cream to erase the scars

I agree. I think Ji Young loves Min Ho, but is not passionately in love with him like she was with Jae Wook, which is realistic IMO. I think oftentimes someone who is hurt badly or loses a loved one will then choose a slow and steady love or warm companionship. IMO Ji Young and Min Ho would have been happy enough if everything with Joon Soo hadn't happened. That's the elephant in the room;  I don't disagree that there is a disconnect with Ji Young, Min Ho and Hyun Woo because of it. Still, there are the times you mentioned above and other times like the celebratory dinner or when Ji Young and Min Ho were talking about Hyun Woo's date that they feel very natural and in sync as a couple and family. 

I remember the news report regarding the court scene we saw at the beginning mentioned family court so I do think it's probably a custody battle. Right now I tend to think it will be for Hyun Woo and not Joon Soo, however. I thought there was foreshadowing for it in these latest episodes. The Grandfather does not intend to let Hyun Woo go back to Ji Young and Min Ho. Na Kyung would be the one ordered into battle and while she doesn't want Hyun Woo around, she would use it as an opportunity to destroy Ji Young so that Ji Young can never get Joon Soo. We'll see. 

My opinion of this drama 

So Woo Na Kyung - - She will never be happy and I think in the end of this drama she will be divorced. She manipulated everything to get what she wants. She claims to love her husband but in the end it was always about money.  Kim Jae Wook’s friend Ji Do Yeob helped NK snap Jae Wook. He wasn’t a true friend but needed Jw’s friendship for his career. He was working with her when she seduces Jae Wook all these years ago. I believe she loves her son but she hates his birth mother.  The fact that she stalked JW might have to come out to and the fact that she isn’t Joon Seo’s birth mom will have to come out. She is out to destroy Ji Yeong. NK is paying for her greed and and will never have a peaceful life until she admit what she did wrong and say repent for what she did. Because of all the terrible things she did , she can’t have kids if her own. 

Ji Yeong didn’t want to go back to work but her son wanted his mom to start living for her because he knew he he wouldn’t live past 20. I have feeling she will probably lose him and NK will play a role in keeping Hyun Woo’s secret. He wants his mom to get used to living without him. This is one of the reason he moved in with his father side of the family. JY is thanksful to Min Ho but she is still in love with her ex husband. Will they break up , I really don’t know. NK is the one who ended up ruining JY’s chance of having a new show. If she hadn’t interfered they wouldn’t be working together. NK’s mission in life is to ruin JY when JY isn’t even paying her any mind. 

Kim Jae Wook - - he is trying his best to repent for cheating on JY but TBH, he still hasn’t gotten over her:  He still want to be with her . He wants to get to know his son. He has tried to be happy with NK but she is so controlling and obsessed. She refuses to let the man breath. If she would relax and be nicer their marriage could have been happy. Sadly he also knows NK doesn’t love him but wants his father’s company. 

To be honest  Min Ho is very boring and I feel that he is way to passive. I don’t even think he has s** with his wife. The only time I see his significant of his character is when he is with Hyung Woo. 

Hello! New here :) (and en passant ;)).

I normally don't like makjang dramas, but I'm liking this. And, in this particular makjang mood, I'm shipping JY and JW very much. It's not really logical or not logical, but I sense that this kind of drama requires to ship them together :) 

In fact, JY and JW are flawed and gray characters, not so easy to like, but not so easy to dislike either. Their ambiguity appeals to me and makes me attached to them, with this kind of liking-not liking feeling, but they are compelling people, and interesting characters. I think that they are very much in love with each other, in a tragical and makjang way; I think that both commited grave sins towards each other (adultery (JW) / deniyng parenthood (JY) - to me both are great mistakes), and this is why I can see (and ship) them together. 

About MH, he is too good to be good (as a character lol), and NK is too bad to be a good bad (lol - in fac she is more interisting and layered than him). I hope that - in special MH, will have any kind of development where he will become more layered: as for now, I think he isn't interesting at all and I can't relate to him. 

This is all! 

Merry Christmas !!!! :D  

On 12/24/2018 at 11:44 AM, qynn said:

I remember the news report regarding the court scene we saw at the beginning mentioned family court so I do think it's probably a custody battle. Right now I tend to think it will be for Hyun Woo and not Joon Soo, however. I thought there was foreshadowing for it in these latest episodes. The Grandfather does not intend to let Hyun Woo go back to Ji Young and Min Ho. Na Kyung would be the one ordered into battle and while she doesn't want Hyun Woo around, she would use it as an opportunity to destroy Ji Young so that Ji Young can never get Joon Soo. We'll see. 

Hmmmmm, that makes sense that Hyun Woo is the cause of the custody fight so I can see NK ordered to represent the grandfather and she would be just too happy to comply. 

On 12/25/2018 at 4:10 PM, ninaanin said:

About MH, he is too good to be good (as a character lol), and NK is too bad to be a good bad (lol - in fac she is more interisting and layered than him). I hope that - in special MH, will have any kind of development where he will become more layered: as for now, I think he isn't interesting at all

@ninaaninLOL, I think that is what makes Min HO interesting is that he is not interesting at all and different from all the others who are all emo, so his boringness stands out but boring love is strong and steadfast. But I think we may see a different MH when he has to fight with JY against the grandfather for the custody of Hyun Woo and we see how the strength of boring love??  shown at the first episode because grandpa does not want Hyun Woo to go back home to mom??

On 12/25/2018 at 7:51 AM, UnniSarah said:

Ji Yeong didn’t want to go back to work but her son wanted his mom to start living for her because he knew he he wouldn’t live past 20. I have feeling she will probably lose him and NK will play a role in keeping Hyun Woo’s secret. He wants his mom to get used to living without him. This is one of the reason he moved in with his father side of the family. JY is thanksful to Min Ho but she is still in love with her ex husband.

@UnniSarahI think that is what Hyun Woo thinks that he will die and not live past 20, it is only in his mind. There were no medical check ups and no conclusive confirmation shown in the drama that he will be untreatable and die.

Statistically, in children chances for cure are very good with leukemia and with treatment most children with leukemia will be free of the disease without coming back (US statistics). However, I don't know if this is true in SK .......but the drama may make HW die to make it more makjang??? I really hope not. Hopefully Jeon Seo will tell his father or grandma or aunt about his brother's bleeding and Hyun Woo will be taken to the doctor for treatment. 

Despite disliking NK, I respected the fact that she was JS’s mother and didn’t think that should change. Not anymore. Not telling anyone about HW is unforgivable. The worst thing is it's not just fear of losing JS that is motivating her but fear of losing her position. On top of that, now that she knows about HW, she’s all about speeding up Grandfather’s plans to legally take HW away from JY and MH. 

HW knows the truth about JS, but by taking JS home, the poor sweet boy just lit a fuse. 

I liked that JY was being patient and trying to enjoy time with her husband. 

21 hours ago, foreverempress said:

I hope that the boy's parents will find out that he has relapsed and needs bone marrow because that WITCH of a stepmother is too insecure in her position to tell them. His life means the end of her possessions!

I hope that Jae Hee, Jae Wook's sister,  will find out about it. I think that Na Kyung in the preview might have stolen the work of Seung Hoon, Jae Hee's son and Jae Hee is going into full attack??? Jae Hee maybe the one to find out about the real mother of little Jeon Soo. Anyhow maybe little Jeon Soo will blab to Ji Young while they are in her house that his brother has bruises in his body. 

The story is getting better and better and I know I said this many times before but I am happy that the children here are an integral characters to the story. All three of them. 

watching the new episode and kinda pissed that JY suddenly became so timid in front of the wicked witch, NK. She was fighting a couple of weeks ago and now she is timid? And why entrust her child's diet list to NK? She should know that NK will not do anything with it. NK would rather HW disappear from her life.

9 hours ago, jma030201 said:

watching the new episode and kinda pissed that JY suddenly became so timid in front of the wicked witch, NK. She was fighting a couple of weeks ago and now she is timid? And why entrust her child's diet list to NK? She should know that NK will not do anything with it. NK would rather HW disappear from her life.

I didn't find her timid with NK, exactly. I thought since HW would be staying in that house, she was trying to be reasonable and not rile NK up although she should know by now there is no being reasonable with NK. NK HATES JY because of her own insecurity and sees everything JY does through the lens of what NK herself would do. But yes, if I were JY, I wouldn't have entrusted NK with that list. I wouldn't trust anybody in that family, honestly. Even JW's mother is pissing me off. 

18 hours ago, qynn said:

Despite disliking NK, I respected the fact that she was JS’s mother and didn’t think that should change. Not anymore. Not telling anyone about HW is unforgivable. The worst thing is it's not just fear of losing JS that is motivating her but fear of losing her position. On top of that, now that she knows about HW, she’s all about speeding up Grandfather’s plans to legally take HW away from JY and MH.

I couldn't agree more! That was really despicable not telling anyone about HW's condition... :(

On a side note, I really like the grandmother. She is a voice of reason, and has been that throughout the series. Good that she told HW the truth about his brother!

I am loving Min Ho and Ji Young togetherness, supporting and comforting each other in their temporary (they think) empty nest just like a loving married couple would be. Hyun Woo is getting proactive more than his father ever had been. When he realized Jeon Seo was his blood brother who gave him life, he did not hesitate to take his younger brother to see their mother. He also did not hesitate to tell Na Kyung that he knew about what went down between his mother and Na Kyung. He maybe young but Hyun Woo is not stupid. However, what will the aftermath be to his actions? Crazed Na Kyung is on the way and if she is not careful and she confronts JY like a screaming banshee in JY's home, Jeon Seo might start getting scared of her as she shows the side of herself that she never let Jeon Seo see.

The brothers walking the roads of Yanpyeong were so cute. Jeon Seo who was always alone in that house is so happy to find another kid to play with. I am wondering if they will ever meet or interact with their cousin Seung Ho? 

Does anyone else think that the diet list Na Kyung gave to the maid was altered and she gave the opposite of what was in the list? She is deceitful and can't be trusted. She did so many bad things destroying relationships in her husbands family to fulfill her ambitions of becoming the owner to Chunzi Group and made enemies of the family. It still not clear what she did to help Chairman Kim steal the land from the family of Jae Hee's husband or his death. After the dust has settled will she still think it was all worth it? 

I think that maybe this drama is turning to be not the typical kdrama male lead and female lead happily ever after? Rather is the blossoming of true lasting love between 2 people like the characters of Min Ho and Ji Young who understand each other while going through hard decisions and dilemmas in married and family life such as sickness in children, breaking of promises and then hearts, love of parent/child not related through blood but through nurture and betrayal and revenge. Will there be healing and forgiveness, realizations and letting go vs revenge and betrayal? 

I feel like I say this every week, but Na Kyung is the worst. I felt sort of bad for her when she was upset about Joon Seo staying at Ji Young’s, but then Jae Wook asked her to put herself in JY’s shoes and NY said she understood how JY felt but JY had HW .... all the while knowing that HW has likely relapsed and not saying anything. Then when JY acknowledged her as JS’s mother and thanked her for raising such a happy kid, she cried and went on about how she felt better .... all the while knowing HW has likely relapsed and not saying anything. 

I really love the relationship between Min Ho and HW. 

So Jae Hee and the Chairman now know the truth about Joon Seo, which yay! and nay! as I suspect this will just make the Chairman and NK even more ruthless. I hope Ji Young will get her fight on too.

Archived