[Drama 2018] A Promise with the Gods, 신과의 약속

0ly40

11 hours ago, Lmangla said:

if they go down this track that blood is thicker than water and therefore adopted relationships don't count, will be very disappointed. it will be a disservice to both in joon and na kyung who have been good parents.

@Lmangla yes, it will  be very disappointing if they cherish the notion of blood is thicker than water idea. Relationships that are based on caring and love will nourish the same sentiment with the other relationships such as children and so on and relationships that are hung on to, for the sake of money, blood, greed and hate nourish the same. Look at the family of Jae Wook. The chairman will get his share of disappointment when he realizes that the mother of his heir is not the real mother. That she "stole" the baby to be the mother of the heir to the company. therefore give her control of the company as she is doing now. What if the chairman changes his mind again and looks at another grandson to take over the company? How good a mother will Na Kyung be? And that is bothersome to me, that Na Kyung cherishes the child because she thinks he will be the heir to the company. She wants control of the company so the child has to follow her goals. What if Jeon Seo has other goals and does not want to have anything to do with the company? How good a mother will she be then? Her having a child is all about her, and from my POV has the same mentality as the father in law. She will nag the poor child to do what she wants. Right now, Jeon Soo already has the mindset of having to be first and best which is good outlook but what if he gets 2nd or 3rd best, what then? Na Kyung is like her father in law who is stuck to the notion of blood is family and matters more than anyone else. It seems to me that the father of JW is into nourishing and caring for the company for the extension of his blood family. And this is so old fashioned and probably because of how blood ties and "family" are regarded in their world and makes for a good drama. In this 21st century, in many parts of the world, companies survive and flourish because the founders of companies look for competent and adept people to work, manage and take over and continue the work and not necessarily family. It is a contribution of many. But I digress. 

Anyway, back to the drama, maybe the chairman will cherish Na kyung no matter what he learns because they have the same attitude/mentality but woe to poor Jeon Soo whose mother loves him for what she could use him for. Jae Wook clashes with his father because he wants his other son from his former marriage acknowledged and he also differs on how to run the company. It seems the his father is stuck on the old fashioned way of running the company and Jae Wook has other ideas. Now, Jae Wook hungs on to Na Kyung and his toxic marriage because he needs someone to care for his son Jeon Soo. Not fair for Na Kyung and Jeon Soo either. He should have just been a sperm donor and left it at that. No attachments. Let Min Ho and Ji Young have the baby and their loving family. But then there will be no drama. 

Maybe that is where this drama is going. Family of blood ties versus family nourished with care, love and gratitude. I would really hate to see Hyun Woo disregard Min Ho who has been his father since babyhood and go running to Jae Wook this stranger whom just appeared in his life and tells him he is the father? Where was he for the last 16+ years of his growing up? And JY, don't tell me she is still into JW the man who got her best friend pregnant while they were married and then proceeded to marry the woman he cheated with and then years later, meet her son behind her back, disregarding and disrespecting the feelings of the parents, Min Ho and Ji Young? Don't tell me that JY is still into him? I really, really hope that JY and JW will not be the end game therefore disregard Min Ho who is the one good person, husband and father in this drama, it will be a disappointment. 

@Lmangla...yea I don't know if he is really sick or if he is worried that he will relapse becausis parents have made him so afraid with their over protectiveness.... but if he falls sick again then will joon soo have to donate again?.... not necessarily if the cord blood has been preserved in a special lab. Nowadays, medical science recognize the requisite and importance of cord blood in saving lives and some mothers opt to donate and preserve the cord blood. However it is very expensive and not many labs are equipped to do so. Maybe in the future science will have a better and more affordable solution. But back to the drama, JY was unconscious at the time of birth and Min Ho was busy caring for both JY and Hyun Woo and Na Kyung only cared about the baby and pretending to be post natal. So the only one who could have wanted and have the cord blood preserved for future use will be JW and he has the money to afford to pay the lab for the cost and because if the cord blood was preserved there will be no need to ask donation from Jeon Soo. This was very necessary for JW to do inorder to keep the secret of Jeon Soo's birth mother??? We shall see

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think HW is probably sick again since that would start the dominoes falling.

I feel the most for MH and the kids. JY is not in love with MH, and I think whatever love she does feel is all mixed up with gratitude and guilt. I do feel for JY regarding the child she gave up. Not all mothers that put a child up for adoption come to peace with the decision, and JY's situation was especially complicated. I think she thought giving him to JW was for the best, but living with the reality was difficult. She had the baby for his stem cells so major guilt there. The pregnancy must have been incredibly lonely. She didn't get to see or hold the baby after he was born or say goodbye.Then she couldn't talk about her feelings with MH or her mother since they wanted to forget or for her to forget. What she needed was counseling.

JW secretly meeting HW made me mad. I get the impulse, but dude, no. 

@Lmangla @zenya22 I will definitely be disappointed if they send the message that adoptive relationships don't matter as much as biological ones.

On 12/12/2018 at 12:49 PM, qynn said:

I think HW is probably sick again since that would start the dominoes falling.

I feel the most for MH and the kids. JY is not in love with MH, and I think whatever love she does feel is all mixed up with gratitude and guilt. I do feel for JY regarding the child she gave up. Not all mothers that put a child up for adoption come to peace with the decision, and JY's situation was especially complicated. I think she thought giving him to JW was for the best, but living with the reality was difficult. She had the baby for his stem cells so major guilt there. The pregnancy must have been incredibly lonely. She didn't get to see or hold the baby after he was born or say goodbye.Then she couldn't talk about her feelings with MH or her mother since they wanted to forget or for her to forget. What she needed was counseling.

JW secretly meeting HW made me mad. I get the impulse, but dude, no. 

@Lmangla @zenya22 I will definitely be disappointed if they send the message that adoptive relationships don't matter as much as biological ones.

@qynn well said, thank you and I see what you mean. The situation was so complicated, since it involved exes so, yes, the emotions she must have felt as a mother and a wife and a woman, grief of losing, guilt and loneliness and she could not talk about her feelings with anyone including her mother. Now, I understand and I do agree, she needed counseling. Maybe she still needs it now, and maybe MH needs the counseling with her too because they need to talk. 

Na Kyung is a wreck, a walking time bomb. Every time she feels uncertain about her position as a daughter in law, Madame of Cheonji Group, wife and mother, she threatens Ji Young and Jae Hee and plans some ruse to destroy them, their families especially their sons. Just like her mother in law said, she keeps shooting at her own feet and soon she will have no feet to stand on. She is like a suicide bomber carrying a load of explosives on her back and ready to self destruct at anytime. The saddest part is that she is unaware of the destructive forces she carries that drives her to self immolation. Her behavior is repulsive but she is also very pitiful as she is miserable. 

It is interesting how it is revealed that Na Kyung is an orphan who was raised by Ji Young's mom. It is no wonder Ji Young was resentful and unforgiving.  It is like a sister having an affair with her brother in law.  The taste of betrayal must have been so acidic and painful. I would not blame Ji Young for not wanting to have anything to do with Jae Wook and his wrecking ball wife, Na Kyung. Jae Wook must have known the relationship of Ji Young to Na Kyung. Also, the revelation of why Jae Wook married Na Kyung because Ji Young's mother was blamed for causing the miscarriage of Na Kyung and Na Kyung did not bother to clarify that her miscarriage had nothing to do with Ji Young's mom. Mom was jailed for "killing" the Cheonji grandson which is not quite easy to prove but money and connection speaks. So, Jae Wook sacrificed himself for the sake of his ex mother in law which positioned Na Kyung to bear the cross and she does not even know it. 

Then there is sister in law Jae Hee who was lapping it all up.... the hysterics of Na Kyung at the swimming pool when the brothers met by coincidence. Jae Hee showed the picture of Jeon Soo with Hyun Woo and all the other participants of the swim meet to grandpa who noticed the older boy next to Jeon Soo and Jae Hee told pop that it was his other grandson. Chairman Kim pretended to be angry in front of Na Kyung, then alone in his office, went online to look at the pictures of Hyun Woo and Jeon Soo. He was proud that his grandson was able to grow up well, despite his diagnosis. He has no idea that the savior of Hyun Woo is his brother Jeon Soo's cord blood. He also chastises Jae Wook for treating Na Kyung badly the woman who gave birth to his son. (My eyes roll) What happens when he knows who really gave birth to Jeon Soo? He praises Na Kyung for her good work yet it becomes another of Na Kyung's miseries.  Her father in law sees her as the hired help. In privacy, father in law tells his wife that he praises her and pretends to like her which makes Na Kyung subservient and cooperate with his means of corporate administration. For Na Kyung to go through all these groveling to get a little bit of false praise and paltry approval, she must really have a very low self esteem or feels unworthy stemming from feelings of abandonment due to being orphaned perhaps? Of all these crazy characters, she needs intense counseling, the most. 

Now, Jae Hee's son, and Kim's oldest grandson, Seung Hoon, has decided to enter the wring of "heirs combat". Poor Hyun Woo, he now wants to meet his biological father, and his grandfather wants to bring him into the family. Hyun Woo has no idea how toxic that family is. I hope that Min Ho and Ji Young and yes, Jae Wook, will protect him till the end. He is already sick, he does not need to be embroiled in the noxious environs of the Kim family. Send him to Barcelona to study architecture and away from the clutches of his grandfather. He can become an architect without involving himself with the Cheonji Group. Everyone who are and were associated to Cheonji Group including friends and relatives only think of Hyun Woo in relation to Cheonji Group. Everyone ignore the parents especially Min Ho, the father who raised and loved this son well, for the last 10+ years as if Min Ho did not matter. Blood ties matter more than ties of nourishment and love? 

Anyway, I like the involvement of the young grandchildren in this family mess. They are actually also leads in this drama. 

Hi everyone! I decided to join the thread, as I have been watching this drama and felt it would be nice to see what other people think of it. I was a bit apprehensive first to start the drama because it is 48 episodes long, but the story is moving along nicely.

I don't have much to add to what other people have already stated earlier. :) 

• I think Na-kyung and Jae-wook have never been in love. The whole relationship is based on mistrust and hate. Na-kyung is one of the most insecure people I have seen in a drama in a long time. She is only clinging to Jae-wook because of the power she covets. It is NOT love to be so jealous and mistrusting towards your partner. Ugh, she really gets on my nerves.
  • Ji-young and Jae-wook don't seem to have been able to settle their feelings for each other after all these years. I still don't exactly understand why he chose to cheat on her, but he seems to genuinely still care for and love Ji-young. They really need to have an honest talk, apologize to each other and find closure, even if they decide to rekindle their romance.
  • The kids are soooo adorable! :) I really hope that Hyun-woo survives. 
  • Jae-wook's sister is so awesome when she kicks Na-kyung's behind. ;)

Ji Young reminds me of Francesca in the movie "Bridges of Madison County". Francesca's situation is different from Ji Young's and less complicated. However the impact of their decisions and choices affects the men they married and especially the children in the family.  

In "Bridges", Francesca is an Italian war bride who had a four-day affair with Robert Kincaid, a travelling professional photographer who had gone to Madison County to shoot photographs for National Geographic on covered bridges. The affair took place while her husband and children were at the state fair.

The story in the diaries her children found reveals the deeply moving impact the affair had on Francesca and Robert as Francesca almost ran away with Robert to travel the world with him. However, after a wrenching period of decision-making, Francesca decided to stay after considering a far-reaching/broader view/possible consequences from her decision on the lives of her children and husband, who was a good, loving man. Kincaid who was affected by meeting her finds meaning his true calling as an artist. The children at the time they find the diaries are married and having marital problems. Their mother’s story helped them to find a sense of direction in their lives. In "Bridges" Francesca finds in Robert the promise of personal happiness, yet she understood with sadness and acceptance, that sometimes the most important things in life are not always about making selfish decisions for oneself. She understood that running away with Robert would ruin the 4 days of selfless love and giving because she would be looking back with guilt, thinking about her children and the husband who was good to her. Francesca opted to live those days of a four day perfect love affair in her memories while she stayed to love her family.  

Ji Young's story is more complex in that the man she can't forget is her ex-husband whom she was divorced from and now married to her supposed bestfriend whom he had an affair with. She finds out from her mother the reasons for her ex husband Jae Wook not fighting for his marriage and his child after 16+ years of separation and she is unable to forget him, the love of her life,  even though she is married to the sweetest husband and father (step) Min Ho. The last thing shown at the end of episode 16, is Ji Young in her car teary and calling Jae Wook's name and at the same time we see Jae Wook running to his car from work and driving to go somewhere which gives the impression that they are going to meet in the next episode? So, like Francesca, Ji Young has an important decision to make. However the choices that Ji young will make would be harder as  she is not running away to travel the world but staying to face the world of Na Kyung and Cheonji Group.  Does she choose Jae Wook and forget all the consequences that will turn their lives especially the children upside down? And Hyun Woo, how about the confusion he will feel about his 2 fathers and the guilt for hurting his appa Min Ho? Or does she stop to look at the bigger picture and stay with Min Ho? but this is K drama .... where the leads have to end together...

MIL is right telling Na Kyung to stop shooting herself in the foot. If Na Kyung didn't fly off the handle every time Ji Young or Hyun Woo are mentioned her position in Cheonji Group and as Joon Seo's mother would be a lot more secure. 

Na Kyung and Ji Young's conversation - Ji Young said what I was thinking. Would Na Kyung choose Jeon Soo over Cheonji Group? She may be a loving mother to Jeon Soo but everything is about Cheonji Group for her. Na Kyung, on the other hand, hit the nail on the head about Ji Young and her guilt. 

It hadn't occurred to me that Hyun Woo knows Min Ho isn't his biological father, but of course, he appeared old enough to remember when Min Ho came into their lives. Min Ho is a good man. He accepts that Hyun Woo will want to meet his biological father some day. Everyone else and their "Hyun Woo deserves to know and take his place in Cheonji Group" chorus can shut up.

Since this is a k-drama and Ji Young and Jae Wook have two biological children together, I'm sure they will end up together. Until then, I'm going to wish that the mess that unfolds will allow everybody to get their suppressed emotions out in the open, Ji Young and Jae Wook to find closure, and in the end, Hyun Woo indeed designs a house that Min Ho will build for Ji Young and they'll live in happily. 

One more thing. About Jae Hee the daughter of Cheonji group. We learn that her husband died and she and her son were at his villa when he died and they were implicated? I am curious about her side of the story, who was her husband and how did he die? It seems that was the reason she was sent to the US at the very time Na Kyung faked her pregnancy. Na Kyung was the lawyer who "cleaned up the mess". Hmmmm, it makes me curious what happened then and how Na Kyung manipulated the case to her advantage to send sis in law out of the country because Jae Hee suspected that Na Kyung was faking her pregnancy and was very vocal about her suspicions. Jae Hee unlike the MIL would have exposed Na Kyung's fake pregnancy. Maybe the upcoming episodes will tell more about that side of the story

caught up with last week's episodes and I can't stand ji young or jae wook. even na kyung is somewhat understandable as she acts out of fear but can't stand the main leads for their passive aggressive approach to life. why can't they just make peace with the past and move on? if they are going to end up together, they are going to destroy a whole bunch of lives including min ho and the two kids to get there. really liked jae wook's mom who was the sane voice of reason when she bluntly told ji young that she gets ji young is hurting but she made her choice to give up joon soo an and now, cannot decide on a reset. am curious about what happened with jae ha's husband but not sure how much longer I can keep watching characters that don't evoke any sympathy and just annoy me. :ph34r:

6 hours ago, Lmangla said:

caught up with last week's episodes and I can't stand ji young or jae wook. even na kyung is somewhat understandable as she acts out of fear but can't stand the main leads for their passive aggressive approach to life. why can't they just make peace with the past and move on? if they are going to end up together, they are going to destroy a whole bunch of lives including min ho and the two kids to get there. really liked jae wook's mom who was the sane voice of reason when she bluntly told ji young that she gets ji young is hurting but she made her choice to give up joon soo an and now, cannot decide on a reset. am curious about what happened with jae ha's husband but not sure how much longer I can keep watching characters that don't evoke any sympathy and just annoy me. :ph34r:

I don't like Na Kyung, she does not evoke any sympathy from me, she acts out of fear and greed but from the episodes that follow, I understand how you feel about JY and JW. The thing is, they need to talk, really talk and then let go and make peace with their decisions made long ago. JY has to confront her guilt. Sorry to see you go if you decide to, give the following episodes a chance but if not .... 

@zenya22 ~ lets see how long it holds my interest. for me, ji young and jae wook really annoy me that they both don't acknowledge na kyung or min ho as rightful parents. they have put in the work regardless of their motivations and should be treated with respect as parents. just because they are biological parents does not give them the right to sneak behind or to act like they have more right to these kids. jae wook may not be as aggressive as ji young but seeing min ho makes me sad that he is being reduced to this creature who has to beg for time. the actions of ji young and jae wook have resulted in a broken man who has been robbed but the difference is that he is not whining about it.

while ji young says that she is thankful for min ho's contributions, she has no knowledge of his pain and is more absorbed with her pain of losing joon soo. na kyung may be right in that joon soo may be a symbol of ji young's guilt.... since the adultery law was repealed, my guess is that the court scene we saw in the beginning may actually be a custody battle for joon soo. based on how ji young is acting now, my guess is that she might try to take away joon soo as she never signed away her parental rights and na kyung fights like a tiger.

2 hours ago, Lmangla said:

lets see how long it holds my interest. for me, ji young and jae wook really annoy me that they both don't acknowledge na kyung or min ho as rightful parents. they have put in the work regardless of their motivations and should be treated with respect as parents. just because they are biological parents does not give them the right to sneak behind or to act like they have more right to these kids. jae wook may not be as aggressive as ji young but seeing min ho makes me sad that he is being reduced to this creature who has to beg for time. the actions of ji young and jae wook have resulted in a broken man who has been robbed but the difference is that he is not whining about it.

while ji young says that she is thankful for min ho's contributions, she has no knowledge of his pain and is more absorbed with her pain of losing joon soo. n

@LmanglaI think that Ji Young acknowledges Min Ho as the father of Hyeon Woo but she does not acknowledge Na Kyung as the mother of Joon Seo. She is mired in guilt. My hope for Na Kyung is to realize that her love for Jeon Soo goes beyond and not conditional to her acquisition of Cheon Ji group or being named the madame of Cheonji Group and why I understand Jae Wook's misgivings. He knows how his father uses and manipulates his children for his own ends and he sees Na Kyung as the same. My beef with Jae Wook is his inability to stand up to his father for himself, his children and his women. 

@zenya22 ~ it feels like ji young is grateful to min ho and she says that sees him as hyeon woo's appa but her actions don't really indicate that. if she truly saw him as her child's father, there would be joint discussions regarding hyeon woo's future. she won't be sitting there depressed about joon soo if she understood the impact it might have on min ho and hyeon woo. she seems to be constantly dead and only comes alive when she is fighting with na kyung which is very unfair to everyone.

there are too many scenes where min ho is seen standing outside watching mother and son. otherwise, it is the two fellows together but she is outside. there is no cohesive scene with the three of them together enjoying some sort of family time. instead, it feels like 3 individuals on very thin ice with min ho constantly in fear that their time together will all end. if she truly treated him as the father and husband, he won't be in so much misery or pain.  :(

she comes across as quite selfish as it is all about her pain. she never shares anything with min ho whereas he is bending over backwards for her all the time. their relationship doesn't feel equal in any terms. any other guy would have walked out because he is not getting anything emotionally from her in this relationship. she still seems hung up on her pain from the affair and divorce which happened over 16+ years ago. if she truly saw him as husband and son's father, she would allow herself to be happy some of the time and give him something emotionally.

watched this week's episodes and it is good the narrative is focusing more on the other characters because the main leads are just basically running around in circles over the same past. feel like saying "get over it!" . so hyeon woo seems to be under the impression that he doesn't have much time and he is ticking off boxes to do including meeting jae wook's family... jae ha's son is super smart but is hiding it so he can take some revenge on his grandfather...

This week's episodes were so sad. :tears: Poor Hyun-woo who is sacrificing himself in favor of his family because he is sick again. This noble idiocy coming from a child... :( Instead he should tell his parents about the symptoms he has, and have his loved ones around him to support him through all of this. 

This drama really brings out the paternalistic sides of Korean society. The grandfather decides how things should be done, and everyone is forced to follow his decision. The grandpa really lacks empathy and I was a bit upset seeing how he treated Ji-young - glad the grandma has a voice of reason, though.

I agree with @Lmangla that Min-ho, Ji-young and Hyun-woo don't seem to make up one family unit.

I feel the same about Jae-wook, Na-kyung and Joon-seo. Both families aren't "real" families. It seems Ji-young is together with Min-ho because of convenience and gratitude, and Jae-wook is together with Na-kyung because he was forced to marry her. They don't truly love their current partners in my opinion. I do think that Ji-young and Jae-wook will end up back together by the end of this drama.

On a side note, doesn't it seem like the writers are setting it up so that Na-kyung will later fall in love with Jung Kyung-soo? I hope they introduce a nice lady to Min-ho soon too. :) 

This drama slays!!! I love how the major characters especially the children,  participate and star in the story.

JY and JW are so guilt ridden, their living is mired in self beating and shame, suspending their lives in past regrets. They paid with high price punishing themselves with vengeance. Guilt has paralyzed them from moving on and appreciating the possibilities of a good life with what they have or from mustering the courage to do what they must to free themselves as in JW letting go of a toxic marriage, the spunk to stand up to his father and JY accepting the decisions she made long ago for the sake of both her sons. Both seemed to have forgotten that deliverance is available with a sincere act of forgiveness of themselves and the other. In episode 17, JY and JW are in their cars for a long awaited meeting after JY called JW and told him she learned about the circumstances of his abrupt marriage to NK. JY was in tears calling JW's name and saying she did not know. Then in the middle of the meet up, she stopped her car and changed her mind because she says she can't undo what was already done and stood up JW, a lone man waiting at a riverfront for hours on end until sundown. It seems that JW is more ready to let go of the past and begin a life anew whatever it means for him, than JY. JY is still clinging to past regrets. The past is already past but the  undoing of the past comes from her heart because she is the one clinging and making the past "alive" in her midst.  She should have gone to that meeting and hashed it out with JW in whatever form the meeting will be, let all that was destructive out of their lives, clean up the collection of heavy cobwebs hanging between them. Regrettably, it seems her call to meet JW was an emotional impulse and not well thought of. However, the following episodes shows the family being happy together and JY somehow slowly moving on???

Song Hyun Woo celebrated his acceptance to college with a dinner with his family outside of his home. This for me is the saddest of this weekend's episodes. He asked for a family photo and when they were done with the family photos, he asked to have a lone self photo to gift his parents. He had tears in his eyes during the photo shoot. I got chilled thinking Hyun Woo might be making that photo for his funeral. He had been bruising from different parts of his body but was afraid to tell his family especially his mother because he knew it would stress his the mother whom has just started to live her life, now working at the broadcast station and enjoying family activities outside of their home and admiring fans made her mother come alive. However, that meant a delay in treatments. But it also pushed him to look for his biological father and grandfather. Hyun Woo's meetings with the two men were very different in context. 

His meeting with Jae Wook was understandably emotional. His parents divorced while he was still in utero or just born, but he was old enough to know that Min Ho is his adoptive father. He was sick and often hospitalized and must have known about the drive for matching marrow transplant  donors and the matching donor who saved his life was the brother he never met. He witnessed how his mother struggled emotionally with fear and over protection. Hyun Woo is a good son and kept all his misgivings to himself but it burst out at meeting his bio father. There was anger, grief and at the same time longing. The meeting with his grandfather was the opposite. His grandfather met him in a private room at an exclusive traditional Korean restaurant. His meeting with his grandfather was impersonal and formal. It was more of a business meeting where he made a deal in return for entering his grandfather's home, that his grandfather will take care of his parents. Grandpa Kim laughed and said of course he wants his parents to be taken cared of as his parents child but Hyun Woo repeated, that the only way he will enter his grandfather's ancestral home is if grandpa Kim takes care of his parents. His grandfather consented and was ecstatic that his grandchild the oldest son of his only son, his heir was as business savvy as he was. Little did grandpa know that the deal made was his grandson's preparation for his eventual death. That it maybe the one deal he will ever make with this grandson. Anyway, at the preview, it could be Na Kyung who finds out about Hyun Woo's bruises. Hopefully she will do the right thing but it is too early for role reversals... but who knows. As for Jae Wook my wish is for him to stop making deals with his father using his family, himself, his ex wife and children as the stakes for the deal just like he just made a deal with his father in exchange for his father not touching his sons. For goodness sakes, you are their father man up!!!!! 

The most interesting of the weekend's episode for me is the revelation of Jae Hee's son, the oldest grandson Seung Hoon's hidden game plan. He goes around town acting like a spoiled 3rd generation chaebol, jerk and a fool. None of the family especially his grandfather takes him seriously. They all think he was in New York  spending his days dawdling to kill time. However, his mother showed a diploma to his uncle Jae Wook, that he graduated as Magna Cum Laude at an Ivy League University in New York (somehow, recent drama mothers are now ranting about Ivy league schools, eyes roll)  which could either be Columbia University or Cornell. One of the specialized courses Columbia U offers is engineering and he graduated as an architectural engineer. Jae Hee asks Jae Wook to consider hiring his son for the Smart City project the cherished project of dear old grandpa Kim. Seung Hoon had a meeting with his uncle Jae Wook who approved his nephew to be in charge of the project with the condition that the team will be assigned by Jae Wook but Seung Hoon tells him that he brings his own team. Seung Hoon then takes his underwear shop owner girlfriend to view the location of the project and tells his girlfriend that the land was once owned by the family of his father and that his father had a dream of building a futuristic city in that land but an "old man" stole the land from his father and also his father's dreams. And we all know who that "old man" is. Then he went to fetch his friends/colleagues from New York at the airport and as soon as they arrive they go to an officetel and begin to work on smart city project. No wonder Jae Hee has this animosity towards Na Kyung and her father. The difference between Na Kyung and Jae Hee is that Jae Hee has no illusions about how his father operates. She learned from experience growing up from his father's house. Na Kyung is just only learning or maybe not. Na Kyung is easy to read as she is a walking emo. 

On 12/23/2018 at 5:37 AM, partyon said:

agree with @Lmangla that Min-ho, Ji-young and Hyun-woo don't seem to make up one family unit.

I feel the same about Jae-wook, Na-kyung and Joon-seo. Both families aren't "real" families. It seems Ji-young is together with Min-ho because of convenience and gratitude, and Jae-wook is together with Na-kyung because he was forced to marry her. They don't truly love their current partners in my opinion. I do think that Ji-young and Jae-wook will end up back together by the end of this drama.

@partyonI agree that between Jae Wook and Na Kyung there is no love, but dislike, anger and mistrust. With Min Ho and Ji Young, in my opinion, there is love. For Ji Young it is not the passionate love she had with Jae Wook that shook her earth but a love that calms her world. She trusts in Min Ho's love. It stabilizes her. I see Min Ho's love as strong and unconditional and not as a tolerant martyr. He was the one who gently confronted JY to let go of her overprotection and removed the menu, recipe, cook books and health books meant for Hyun Woo from their kitchen. That evening he opened her top and to show the surgical scars on her chest and started applying cream to erase the scars. The way I saw it, that was Min Ho's way of saying that he understood what those scars meant, what she had gone through, pregnancy from a sperm donation from the man who betrayed her for a stem cell from cord blood to save her son from dying, how she herself almost died at the delivery room hence the scar. How she gave up her son and the guilt, grief and depression that followed.  At the moment, I think Min Ho's love is the strongest even when at times he gets hurt himself. I think he knows that if he had left Ji Young, she would have fallen apart but that would have hurt him more than her because he loves her trully. Surely,  he is not Mother Theresa, but it happens, there are people who can love that way. I am hoping that they will find a nice lady for JW instead of MH and I know it is a pipe dream but who knows..... this could be a first..... 

Archived