[Drama 2018-2019] Children of Nobody/Red Moon, Blue Sun, 붉은달 푸른해

larus

@larus I agree. If a sequel cannot live up to the standard set by its predecessor, then it should not even be made. I am definitely anticipating the second seasons for Signal and Secret Forest as well, yet at the time, I am filled with apprehension, so afraid that it will miss the mark, exactly because I love them so much. With Children of Nobody, we have closure, yet there are unanswered questions which I really hope will be addressed in S2, such as fleshing out the time frame after LEH was reunited with YTJ - their relationship, the inception of Red Cry, leading up to and beyond LEH's death. Since the deleted epilogue had Red Cry sending a text message to all of them, I really want to know what exactly was in that message, and whether the mantle of Red Cry will be taken up by their followers, now that YTJ is incarcerated e.g. Kang Min Gi and the boys in Haemil. I need to know CWK is able to control her resentment and anger towards the stepmother she decided to spare... just as I need to know little SK remains by her side as her sentinel, her guardian angel. I want to know Ha Na is a part of KJH's life - she who helped him finally understand the joy of having a child's warmth and love. Just as I want to know more of older CSK and stepmother... how they are coping, and whether they will rise from the ashes of the horrible past that haunts the whole family. Has JSY finally broken free from her abusive stepbrother, and if there is more to her backstory that has not been revealed. Ahh... the questions keep piling up. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know I said previously that I would give my analysis of YTJ a rest, but I think I finally figured out why he turned out the way he did. With proof of his evil past life from the Joseon era being revealed in Netflix's Kingdom, is there any wonder he has not fared much better in his present incarnation :sweatingbullets::crazy: 

lwQx03KfRJQDV3cNOfs8J5O4InpDr5ZPa6vvxtghxqE6Wocn-fU8wYVb_vxbAP46wVzcNw0trVZZ3yab33gTtxCuXq7nWHfBFP2VIU9FNWGpELnaq1j788sIc4Ugc-yeE2baImfEDpZY7tHjDYeCTyBm5korVePl2_FWHCVs5w-6IrFUBr9mooPGjxMXy4OslSilz0QYfovaewi_DPCOIwAe78eDnXaJX9QcSC_sXhOhR4uUiXEyjTU7rgWtTE0IwMAcpa67ExA407kIP2uEeIm5hyyrgMkBdE9fHfffR8GH9ICE0waRKa-i0IN5bjL1BXpgNDCBA5wy8Z9iSBP0fOOz_hkVBo0h3I-Xlh45xfRvfb5BaETW_QCHEw1BkfR5cQ46lhH57KYexuvYj9qIRQZaadIkleQGJERdMvsfCiuuUK1nHlMn0NXiQxip-olTkxPRL_MZWYk5gqU0aoAGIng9bTIUWoNwFtX-C5A9T1r15PTceAWn35jNvaUBYmIwa8WOwhN_rz10mreKd6WW6HI_MqVdpkGLjOfwej21t_8OLmbT0XYv2VoTU-MPhSomHhTiivb6QEybF-IpzkNyjxA6ZwimMb_4ro7G2WAscP9GQQNoehJM2QdeV1KYRapLX37Iuh0oX9DA_Ks168K9YmZANcZwiBhPYvu-sV3JKfrcMYSvlE_VZrs=w600-h421-no

• 3 months later...

I'm glad I was able to catch this drama in spite of being late.  

What sets this drama apart is that beyond the thrill and suspense, Children of Nobody is a drama that sets it audience into keen observation and thinking. The horror and suspense are merely tools to tackle much deeper social issues.  The subject matter is of social relevance – abuse in any form – is something that has to be looked into.  It starts off by disturbing your sensibilities with a feeling of uneasiness and discomposure.  It upsets you; it angers you.  And this is good.  The mark of a good if not great drama is that it moves its audience - it touches your emotions then sets you into thinking and mulling and perhaps, eventually into action. 

In this drama, Kim Sun Ah has time and again shown that she is an actress of caliber.  She has awed us with her portrayal of different  characters in her various dramas and movies.  She proved that she can take on any genre – romcom, drama, action, thriller – with her restrained yet believable portrayal of the beleaguered wife and mother. She effortlessly shifts her emotions seamlessly to show the vulnerabilities of her character – the betrayed wife, the troubled sister, the compassionate counselor, the enraged daughter, the humane person. 

@mtoenlob Welcome! So good to see more fans of this way too underrated, understated drama. Love how you described it, how it draws the viewer in, invariably evoking reactions and keeping one emotionally invested through it all. 

Children of Nobody is the first work I've watched of any of the four leads, so I had no preconceived notions about them going in. All of them, as well as the strong supporting cast, particularly the child actors, far exceeded my expectations - delivering pitch perfect performances of their respective fractured psyches, and I cannot imagine anyone else as them. The script, the soundtrack, the cinematography - they all came together as a cohesive whole, creating an unforgettable viewing experience that continues to haunt me now, and leaves me hoping that we will see a sequel reuniting the original cast and crew in the future.

• 8 months later...

Instead of keeping up to date with two other dramas I am following half-heartedly, I find myself revisiting Children of Nobody all the way from the beginning, more than a year after it ended its broadcast. Without fail, I am just as shattered and haunted by every single shot, every nuanced performance as I was the very first time I watched. The soundtrack still makes me ache immeasurably, every gradual reveal in each scene just as appalling and heartbreaking as before. And this closing shot still leaves behind a lingering yearning amid the sense of closure... wishing it was possible to remain with the characters in this universe... to stay that much longer in this drama that is nothing short of a masterpiece which resonates and stays with me long after it ended.

redmoon3100467a.jpg

• Guest changed the title to [Drama 2018-2019] Children of Nobody/Red Moon, Blue Sun, 붉은달 푸른해

Archived