[Drama 2018-2019] Children of Nobody/Red Moon, Blue Sun, 붉은달 푸른해

larus

On 1/4/2019 at 12:53 PM, thistle said:

As much as I admire this show, it is very difficult for me to watch and I have to take it in small bites.  It's funny how some dramas are like a cake:  light, fluffy, sweet, and fun to eat.  But Children of Nobody is more like a heavy wholegrain roll:  thick, chewy, and maybe a bit difficult to digest (especially without butter or cheese to smooth the experience).  The cake tastes nicer but it isn't really the best choice all the time.  The roll is better for you in the long run but it is still probably not what you want to eat at every meal unless you've got something to go along with it.

This reply is a bit late, but this is exactly why I enjoy this show so much, personally, despite how hard it is to watch sometimes. There ain't nothing wrong with a bit of fun cake now and then, we all need it to keep life from getting to monotonous and stale. I'm watching Legend of the Blue Sea on days that there aren't new Children of Nobody episodes (and yes, I get mood whiplash every time, thanks for asking), but I find myself thinking far, far more about Children of Nobody even on days that I don't have any new episodes. LotBS is fun, I do enjoy it, but CoN has wormed its way into my heart and just refuses to leave. I thrive when a show doesn't spoon-feed its audience answers, keeps us guessing, but more importantly, makes us think. The last show I've written this much meta about was Gravity Falls, back in mid-2015/early 2016.

In addition, CoN feels like it has something truly important to say instead of just being pure entertainment. Look at all the discussion about morality and ethics and forgiveness the show's engendered thus far. When you can get your audience mulling over their own morality and really questioning themselves? That's special. If the writer can keep going strong for the last 3 hours and doesn't fall flat on her face 2 feet from the finish line, this may end up being one of my favorite shows of all time. Not even joking.

Welcome, @dzareth! Glad to have you. :) Yeah, haha, we have fun here. XD Enjoy the rest of your viewing!

In other news, THAT PREVIEW. :heartbreak: It does look like Eunho is dead. :tears: Poor thing. I stand by what I said in wanting him to have one last scene with Wookyung and/or Jiheon before he goes, and if he doesn't imma write one myself, dammit. A girl has needs. Interesting that it does indeed look like the mystery of RC isn't totally solved, as many suspected, and good on Jiheon for wanting to double check make sure everything is properly wrapped up before the case is closed. I would have done the same thing. btw @thistle, I suddenly realized that your theory that Eunho wasn't the only one to kill the dog butcher might have some merit!! While he's carving the poem into the man's back in the flashbacks, Eunho is not wearing his good person mask! Why in the world would he have taken it off? Could he have lent it out to someone else? More questions. Pass me some of that glue @ktcjdrama, I think I'll be needing some myself to prepare myself for the upcoming episodes.

Also, I've put together a list of the different plot threads and questions that have still been left unanswered as of episode 26 that I would really like to see addressed in some way before the end. Feel free to contribute more if you can think of any!

• Wookyung's past/The Girl in the Green Dress, Sekyung, Stepmom - Getting the obvious out of the way first. If the writer doesn't deliver on this mystery at least, I think we'll all be supremely disappointed.

• Jiheon's past/Ex-girlfriend, unborn child, abusive mother - Why did his girlfriend end up leaving him, and what happened to their child? Did she miscarry? Did she have an abortion? Did they give the child up for adoption? I'm hoping we get a little more light shed on his mother and his childhood, too. Since he didn't "have the same eyes" as Hana, Bitna, Sora, Wookyung, and Eunho, I'm guessing his mom was either just incredibly strict but not outright abusive, or she was abusive, but not often enough or to the extent that it left permanent scars on his psyche like the five individuals mentioned. (That, or he just had a damn good therapist idk.) 

• Sooyoung's past - I really want to know what this woman's deal is. We've known her almost since the beginning of the series, but we know almost nothing about her personally except that she has violent anger issues and she almost never smiles. What happened to make her the way she is? What role does she ultimately play in this tale? She's mostly acted as Jiheon's sidekick up to now, but she's billed as a lead, so surely she has some larger part to play?

• The fate of the children's center - Now that Hanul Children's center is going under, what will happen to all the people who work there? Is Wookyung out of a job now? And if she is, how is she going to provide for Eunseo now? Will her ex take this chance to attempt to take custody of their daughter and perhaps be the final thing to push Wookyung to her breaking point?

• The real culprit of the Boy A Case - So if we assume Eunho was telling Wookyung the truth on the way to the lighthouse (and honestly, we have no reason to assume otherwise, since he clearly didn't expect to survive the day and this was the only chance he'd have to get everything off his chest), then the first person he ever killed was Hana's mother. How, then, did Minki's father die? Will this ever be revealed? Or was it truly just a freak accident?

• The real culprit of Sukwoo's mother's hit and run - I progressively become more and more puzzled by this case the longer I think about it. The whole thing just seemed so sloppy and random, and didn't feel like Eunho's style at all. For one thing, Eunho prefers to leave his targets blissfully unaware of their predicament, and then strikes when they least expect it. He doesn't try to intimidate people or threaten them , whereas the gift of the stuffed "dead" animal and the poetry clearly was meant to unnerve and discombobulate. Plus, Sukwoo's mom survived the accident! If Eunho had wanted her dead, I'm pretty sure he would have at least made sure of it before driving off. And even if, by some chance, she still survived, he's not what one would call a quitter; wouldn't he have tried to off her again at some point? And yet, as far as we know, she's still doing just fine. Eunho also doesn't seem the type to delegate judgements to underlings; he does his dirty work himself, so it seems unlikely that he would have tasked someone else to do the job, or that he would have set up some poor, unsuspecting truck driver to commit manslaughter.
  • In addition, this case just doesn't seem to fit with Eunho's stated MO. He kills the parents of living children so that they can finally be rescued from their existence of misery and torment. You can't exactly save a kid who's already dead. True, Park Jihye's case was an exception to this, but it seemed that Eunho was mainly serving at the doctor's sidekick at the time. The doctor was the one who was obsessed with her case and seemed to be the one who really wanted her dead. He was the one who actively stalked her, he was the one who seemed to be in charge of orchestrating everything from the secret website to recruiting members, and he was tellingly the only one actually involved in the murder itself. Eunho was only able to bring himself to kill someone when the well-being of a living child was on the line.
  • Plus, when Sukwoo's mom came over to the center, she didn't have her child with her. Eunho figures out that children are being abused by observing the children first and foremost. How could Eunho look at Sukwoo and tell he was being neglected or abused when he was already dead? Something doesn't add up. I do think it's also telling that Eunho didn't mention the incident to Wookyung whatsoever in the car, too. No "So I tried killing that lady who upset you because she was a bad mom, but boy, I really screwed that one up, eh?" or anything like that. He mentioned every single other Red Cry case, even the one he wasn't directly involved with, but yet not this one.
  • So what's up? Was everything really a freak coincidence? Was it a copycat? Did someone else from the Razorhead website get wind of it and take matters into their own hands without Eunho's knowledge? Did he actually do it despite how seemingly illogical this is for the reasons outlined above? I'm so confused. :wacko:

• Siwan and his sister - The series started with Siwan's story. It only seems fitting that now, as we're nearing the ending, it should conclude with finally unveiling the mystery of his family and what happened to his sister. This show really does not have a good track record when it comes to the mortality rate of the male abuse victims, though, so I'm honestly rather concerned about Siwan right now. I really hope he makes it. :unsure:

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, thistle said:

Vengeance has no true place in making things right--neither in real life nor in a drama.  Vengeance is about anger and pain.  Justice requires cold and rational thought.    We cannot trust Red Cry because it has used emotional abuse to combat abuse.  We cannot trust Red Cry because it has used horror to combat horror.  This is childish to-and-fro.  It doesn't resolve anything.

Well said... thanks for sharing your view.

@cyan5tarlight I'm beginning to think that Sukwoo's mother's accident may just be a pure accident... Btw, she still has another living child, a daughter. It's the little girl CWK found under the cover, malnourished and dehydrated. And if I remember correctly, she was also the little girl with LEH in the promotional poster.

Yes, I want to know about Siwan too. I am pretty sure we'll get to see his case again. Even Sora is being shown again as LEH's alibi.

Here's the glue you asked for... plenty to go around for anyone needing some :D

71-ora3JhBL._SL1280_.jpg

18 hours ago, liddi said:

Standoff

The C-subs for the standoff at the lighthouse is a more literal translation of the original Korean, where the use of the word 지옥 "hell" is used to drive home the kind of unimaginable agony LEH has lived with:

"The moment I remembered that room, I was plunged into hell."

"I am doing this for you. It is better to die because I know what hell is like. I know its pain."

And CWK's harsh retort:

"Hell. Do you know what real hell is?

The innocent child that you are, who once trembled in fear, is threatening with murderous eyes to kill. That is hell."

Yes, I agree. As a Korean speaker, I noticed that they mis-translated 지옥 on Viki. They should have just said "hell" instead of "pain" or "misery." This really isn't a common usage and both LEH and CWK were clearly talking about "hell."

The only assumption I can make about the mis-translation is that maybe the translator felt that "hell" was kind of a curse-word and this was self-censorship. But otherwise, it's not an accurate translation of what they actually said.

mafia game. Kim Sunah's reaction, the woman felt wronged :joy: too bad the whole game on YT don't have a sub.

i've been wondering why Hakyeon post "Lee Eunho's unfinished story" on ig when Eunho's already dead. the answer is, there's a final boss :joy: 

I'm expecting the police to search Eunho's belongings, esp his laptop and where he used to live to get more answers.  

Thanks for the preview. CSK also kept photos of a baby girl and the father holding the same baby girl.  Who is she? I also noticed the GGD, who responded to being called CSK, wore a plain dress, in contrast to the older girl (whom CWK thinks is her) in a more fancy dress.  At first glance, it is odd that both sisters were not dressed similar in style.  Makes me wonder if the dress present was actually for GGD all along?

10 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

I'm beginning to think that Sukwoo's mother's accident may just be a pure accident... Btw, she still has another living child, a daughter. It's the little girl CWK found under the cover, malnourished and dehydrated. And if I remember correctly, she was also the little girl with LEH in the promotional poster. 

Yes, I want to know about Siwan too. I am pretty sure we'll get to see his case again. Even Sora is being shown again as LEH's alibi. 

Here's the glue you asked for... plenty to go around for anyone needing some :D

Ah thank you for the glue, this will do very nicely. :D

Yeah, you may be right. Could also be someone else from Razorhead, as well. I honestly don't think it's Eunho. And oh yeah, I know about the daughter, my point was just that she didn't have any kids with her when she went to see Wookyung and ran into Eunho in the Center. Therefore, nothing would have really pinged Eunho's Abused Child Radar and there would be no reason for him to go after her, you know? I thought the girl in Eunho's poster was Siwan's sister (aka the Girl in the Red Dress) though? Or am I wrong? :blink:

Also, apparently someone blew up the date on Eunho's tombstone(? idk what you call this). The poor guy had only just turned 25. :tears: He was so young...

DwUBheoU0AIzoez.jpg

2 hours ago, bedifferent said:

Thanks for the preview. CSK also kept photos of a baby girl and the father holding the same baby girl.  Who is she? I also noticed the GGD, who responded to being called CSK, wore a plain dress, in contrast to the older girl (whom CWK thinks is her) in a more fancy dress.  At first glance, it is odd that both sisters were not dressed similar in style.  Makes me wonder if the dress present was actually for GGD all along?

It`s right. The girl in green dress doen`t look like she is the biological sister of the other girl. The first time we saw the scene where that girl was looking behind how the older girl was adming her new dress in the mirror, I felt that she looked like she never had a fancy dress or a new dress for herself in her life. It was like a hungry child who looks at others as they eat, through a restaurant / grocery store window. I thought she was just adopted or she came in the family with the step mother. Now we saw that the little girl  met the biological mother of Cha sisters.  Unlike the first scene (the mirror/ gift scene) we've seen, now we saw her able to smile when she took the pictures. Maybe that girl was not an official member of the family because if she was, her new parents would have dress her properly. It is still a mistery but at least we found out something else, that her name could be Se Kyung (just like Woo Kyung's younger sister).  

1 hour ago, cyan5tarlight said:

Also, apparently someone blew up the date on Eunho's tombstone(? idk what you call this). The poor guy had only just turned 25. :tears: He was so young...

To make it worse, it was 25 years of abuse, fear and loneliness...:tears:

Too bad they decided to kill Eunho, I wanted him to find at least some sort of peace, but I'm glad it seems like he's not behind all the murders. When I was suspecting Eunho as RC I was expecting revelation to him to turn full mode psycho, who was playing the innocent nice guy all along, but now after knowing his heartbreaking story, it really doesn't add up that he could be torturing and killing someone like that because for me it looks like even being broken by things he endured, he's still a tender-hearted person (murder of old director I understand)

As for GDG, I think we need to keep in mind that memory that are blocked/repressed were too traumatic, so I don't think she was just physically abused. I'm not implying that it's not a big deal but still it must something really bad. And the worst things that I could come up are: 1) she was sexually abused 2)tortured 3)murdered. In all cases (except for 3) GDG might've been WK herself or if not she witnessed it, or took part accidentally. I personally think GDG was 'real' SK, the current one being Stepsister who took her place, but that don't explain why WK was given full fake childhood memories, unless she forgot everything before that event. 

@chickfactor Thank you for your confirmation regarding the translations at the lighthouse scene. Have you noticed any other mistranslations elsewhere? Now it makes me wonder if any other nuances were lost in translation. Another excuse for me to rewatch again C-subbed... not that I needed one! :sweatingbullets:

@cyan5tarlight I too believe that the child with LEH in the poster is the girl in the red dress, aka Shiwan's sister. As to why she was the child of choice for his poster, I can't see any reason from the drama, at least. Similarly, Seokwoo was paired up with JSY in the poster, and he was dead even before she came on the scene... so perhaps there is no rhyme or reason for the choices of those two children?

Love the new observations about the attire of our mysterious child, and the look of yearning she had for the fateful green dress - thank you @bedifferent @larus! This might mean the older girl's birth mother was involved in her abuse after all. If CWK is really CWK, is the girl in the green dress then the equivalent of Ha Na's younger sibling - killed and buried underground somewhere? Will this trigger Red Cry to go after CWK's only living parent who knows the truth? Or if CWK was involved somehow in the death of the younger child, would she too be judged for her part in it? 

What bothered me about LEH being Red Cry was the fact that he who cared so deeply about the children and their emotional well-being, would put Ha Na through such terror during the brutal attack on GSH - an action that felt out of character. Nonetheless, despite clear indications from the preview of another accomplice, if not the real mastermind behind the Red Cry organisation, there is no reason for LEH to lie about his involvement. In his quasi-confession to CWK, he listed those he was involved, be it as an accomplice or the actual perpetrator, and the only one omitted was the warning and hit-and-run of Seokwoo's mother. Thus, much as it is hard to accept, I am inclined to believe LEH's confession, which includes the torture and murder of GSH.

That being said, apart from the technical know-how required to create such an intricate forum hiding behind so many layers of anonymity, LEH's character was never one I could imagine to command and control the vast network of members in the organisation. As such, the one that went after the fake intel and attacked KJH should be the shadowy puppetmaster whose role is to plan and direct the members. The culprit behind Seokwoo's mother's hit-and-run should have been another member instructed to give her a clear warning. Bearing in mind that she tried to prey on CWK's guilt through blackmail, was the attack a warning to relinquish her claims on her surviving child and leave CWK alone as well? As her psychiatrist, YTJ is privy to CWK's thoughts and feelings, so is it a possibility he learnt of what happened during one of their sessions? Yet from their conversation in Ep19, CWK had not contacted him for some time (perhaps not since consulting him about Seokwoo's drawing in Ep3), so I can't be sure.

One thing that did strike me though. How did LEH finally unlock the terrible memories of the desk in the large room? Was it through YTJ who put him through hypnosis and helped him remember years before (perhaps even before the Kang Min Gi case) - the resulting pain and fury of which setting in motion everything that followed? If so, that would explain an association that went far beyond just a bond united by a common cause.

51 minutes ago, liddi said:

How did LEH finally unlock the terrible memories of the desk in the large room? 

When a person suffers from Post Traumatic Stress (as LEH must have done given what happened to him), a similar situation or a similar setting is all it will take to trigger a landslide of repressed memories.  So when the old director told LEH that is was time to "comfort" him again, when he was in a room with a desk, when he was faced with all those books, that is trigger times three.

Omg just finished catching up on everyone's posts, loved everyone's thoughts, theories, opinions, feelings and reactions. I, too, she's a year for the poor broken Eun Ho :heartbreak::bawling:  but now this will help catch RC and co and shut down that site permanently. I would add my thoughts and what not to the discussion of many of you have already voiced pretty much what in think and reacted about last week's episodes. Life gets in the way and also i got hooked and spent my free time marathoning ' The Ten Deadly Sins ' a Chinese Drama with no subs (still 2 years later) But happy that tomorrow is a new episode! 

@thistle Thank you for the insight into PTSD. I always assumed that LEH had already recovered his memories before he applied to work at Hanul Children Center, triggering his return to the center, and that the old director's abuse only started again after Director Song's arrest. 

35 minutes ago, liddi said:

@thistle Thank you for the insight into PTSD. I always assumed that LEH had already recovered his memories before he applied to work at Hanul Children Center, triggering his return to the center, and that the old director's abuse only started again after Director Song's arrest. 

I had the feeling that he had the PTSD in some sort of maintenance until the old director told LEH to comfort him.  The old director was re-exerting his control control over LEH, and LEH would have to have seen the slave hell he was going to have to go back to.  There is pretty much nothing worse than for an abused person to have to step back into an abusive situation after they had begun to think they have moved on.  The one thing that would surely make LEH snap and want to die would be this trigger, and it would also bring forth the flood of memories.

So in case anyone's in the mood for some more sads, I was vehemently reminded of this song a couple days after finishing episode 26, and broke down into an ugly sobbing mess while listening to it with Eunho's situation in mind. :bawling:

(And hey, feel free to share songs that remind you of the series or characters if you want, I'm always in the mood to discover good music!)

Plot twist JH's crew are part of RC (jk, or an I :joy: ) or I've been thinking what if the guy that gifted them the underwear is part of RC (he could have used that as a way to see JH and co have uncovered and what not) it's a random thought that popped into my head.

@liddi @larus I am also curious at why CSK kept photos of her mom and the girl in green dress.  You would think she keeps photos of her sister (Woo Kyung), not any stranger.  She also kept photos of her father so their relationship was good.

Lee Yi Kyung posted on his IG, they filmed through winter... the little actors/actresses are good troopers for staying through the cold.

Spoiler

Little people are adorable.

Spoiler

The children.  Girl in grey plaid jacket, have we seen her?

@bedifferent Based on that logic, it is possible that CWK then and now are the same person... and the only person who was swapped was the younger child. In which case, it would make sense for CSK to keep that photo where clearly her mother and older sister are in, but the younger child is not herself. Ahhh! @ktcjdrama is making a killing, selling glue to all of us on the thread! Perhaps I should be looking at throwing out rugs instead of buying glue :D 

The girl in the plaid jacket is Seokwoo's younger sister, who was found malnourished and resuscitated at the hospital. I love how the entire cast, old and young, enjoy such warm camaraderie even amongst themselves :) 

@gaby81 That's a thought! Maybe there is a listening device in the fancy underwear container :D Red Cry... there is no escaping their eyes and ears... they're everywhere! :w00t:

Archived