Quantcast
Maetawinz

[Drama 2019] Romance Is A Supplement, 로맨스는 별책부록

59 minutes ago, gilaswan said:

I think the issue I have with Ms Ko is that she is self-righteous. For all the failings she’s had or experienced, there is no sense of true remorse, regret, or even hindsight lessons in life that have been learned. Each time, we only see or know of her imperfections when she is caught with her pants down, so to speak. She’s otherwise very guarded, but her guardedness is fueled by arrogance, a self-justification to herself that despite all, she has done no wrong, made no mistake. She can’t see the log in her own eye. And that is what is annoying about her.

And speaking of annoying characters, I have to admit I’m also getting annoyed with the way Kang Dani’s character is being written. If she is mature and motherly, that does not follow through in her interactions with Eunho. It’s like with him, there is no sense she is a mother, or that she struggles with being a divorcee while searching for her new self sans husband (unlike with Ms Seo). Her character is suddenly coming across as being very 2D - she’s either this or that and not more. The complexities that is her which was introduced early in the show seem to be no more. Like some of you have mentioned - where’s that daughter? Where’s that fighting spirit (looks like she’s going to lose that job without trying hard to save it)? And what is she really bringing into the relationship with Eunho? She so very suddenly gave up on Ji Seojun. And so suddenly thought of the outing with Eunho as a date. There’s a lot of disconnect going on for me. I’m finding the development of the other supporting characters a lot more thought through than that of Kang Dani. 

A very good analysis about Ms. Ko. The mixture of arrogance, self-centerness and lack of empathy makes it hard to like her. To me, she hasn't shown any growth from the beginning. I thought, after she had confided to DY and Seo, she would open up and change, but she hasn't really.  

• Like 9
  • Love 1

A few thoughts, Book Chingus!

I really like KDY's growth in this drama. I like that although she actually hit rock bottom, she dusted herself off and got right back up and kept plugging at it until she found work.

The love lines...

I am glad that SHR spoke to CEH about her crush and how she is trying to move on. However, I was embarrassed for her at the book event. Her parents treated CEH as though he OWED SHR his feelings and had betrayed her. Then they practically threw themselves on JSJ. SHR has a great work ethic and accountability, but she is a bit daft when it comes to romance. She and CEH don't fit at all. I thought the scene where she realized he has feelings for KDY and got drunk was very telling. This is what, the third time he has to babysit her after being drunk and she wonders why he only looks at her like a dongsaeng.

I loved the scene with Ms. Seo and Mr. Bong at the hospital. Yes, it was an imposition for her son to get sick on the day of the book event, but that can't be used as leverage to reconcile when they had a multitude of problems when they were married. I got the feeling a reconciliation could've happened if he had approached her earlier. Now, some time has passed and she is getting used to not being with him. In typical fashion, he did not fight for them.

The work situation. I am not ashamed to admit that I have done what KDY has done. I moved to MI some years ago for school, and was looking for a job at the time, and no one would hire me because they felt I was over-qualified for most jobs. So yes, I dumbed down my resume to try and find work. I was told by a recruiter that it wasn't illegal because it is up to the interviewer to muddle through and find out the essentials for the job. For example, often on interviews, they will look at your resume and say, "I see you went to Jane Doe HS? You answer, yes. Then they will follow up with, did you go to college or a trade school?" People exaggerate on resume's so most employers want to get right to the facts.

In KDY's case, she left out her college education and experience, but what does that have to do with how well she is doing her job? And, it is a contract position. I don't think she should be fired, but I do feel like instead, they should pull her aside and inform her that they know she left out some details on her resume. Due to this, the contract will not be renewed and she will have to wait at least 6 months to a year before she can apply for a full-time permanent position. The unfair part is that so far, she has been a model employee. Unlike the other new hires, she has done her job diligently,  often performing multiple tasks at once. She is always in good spirits and gets along with everyone. She stepped up and came up with a great marketing campaign for the new author who was nervous about his book coming out, even convincing him to actually go through with it when he wanted to give up. She also stepped in when Ms. Seo was out with her son. They won't find someone else like her.

Ms. Go sees a peer who, unlike her has the courage to do things that she didn't. Yes, she was a runaway bride for a minute, but she did get married, have a child and that was her life for a while, even though it didn't work out. She bounced back, found work, and even has two men vying for her affection. KDY was someone who was legendary in her field, and that too presents a problem for Ms. Go, who ONLY has her job to cleave to. She doesn't have a family or friends to share her mind and interest with. Thus, her job is a sensitive issue for her. From day one, she felt threatened by KDY. Her friend who managed to remember an interviewee from months ago with amazing clarity, also felt threatened, which is why she remembered her.

I hope KDY doesn't let this get her down. She is smart, hardworking and brilliant. She just needs a chance.

• Like 4
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 4
  • Thanks 1

When Eun-Ho tried that classic seat belt trick that's ever so popular in most K-Dramas, I was reminded of the hilarious scene Lee Jong-Suk had in his other previous drama with Suzy:lol:

I don't think it was smart for Seo-Joon:rolleyes: to pick the same passcode for both the door to his home AND the secret room<_<

By the way, what's in that secret room anyway? It's not like a room where he does kinky stuff is it LoL?:phew: Like Christian Grey's Red Room?:w00t:

I'm not as bothered by absence of Dan-I's daughter, maybe it's 'cause I just watch and not expect much eheheh. As for the lying on resume, it's only a crime when the person who applied for the job was incompetent or faked her qualifications. That's just my take on it though (shrugs) But Dan-I on the other is diligent, willing to learn and most importantly, a team player. So for those reasons alone, she should get leeway..at least. 

• Like 8

Ratings Of TvN Drama “Romance Is A Bonus Book” With Lee Jong Suk And Lee Na Young (Sixth Week)

Romance Is A Bonus Book ratings, Romance Is A supplement ratings, Romance Is A Bonus Book drama, Romance Is A Bonus Book tvn, Romance Is A Bonus Book lee jongsuk, Romance Is A supplement drama, Romance Is A supplement tvn, Romance Is A supplement lee jongsuk

“Romance is a Bonus Book” also called “Romance is a Supplement” is a romantic comedy with Lee Jong Suk and Lee Na Young. The drama is at its sixth week of airing.

The drama tells the stories of people who work at a publishing company and the love story between a genius writer and the youngest chief editor at the publishing company (Lee JongSuk) and a divorced mom going through hardships who is penniless and homeless and who is trying her best to find a job (Lee Na Young). For more information, posters, and trailer about the drama, you can check our cast and summary here.

The drama airs on Saturday-Sunday at 9 pm KST on cable channel tvN.

According to Nielsen Korea, ratings of the drama in its sixth week are the following, on Mar. 2, the 11th episode had 5, and on Mar. 3, the 12th episode had 5.2%.

Ratings are decreasing from last week.

Romance Is A Bonus Book ratings, Romance Is A supplement ratings, Romance Is A Bonus Book drama, Romance Is A Bonus Book tvn, Romance Is A Bonus Book lee jongsuk, Romance Is A supplement drama, Romance Is A supplement tvn, Romance Is A supplement lee jongsuk

You can check previous ratings here.

The drama is at the top of the most searched dramas of the day ranked 3rd on Naver (as for Mar. 3).

https://www.kpopmap.com/ratings-of-tvn-drama-romance-is-a-bonus-book-with-lee-jongsuk-and-lee-nayoung-sixth-week/

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nubianlegalmind said:

I hope KDY doesn't let this get her down. She is smart, hardworking and brilliant. She just needs a chance.

I don't think that she's going to be down about it, even if she is fired from her contract job. The preview seems to show her studying, so I think she may prepare for the entrance exam so that she can apply for a full time job at Gyeoroo.

Btw, I agree with you that DY has shown growth, but more importantly, she's shown resilience. It helps to have a rich, loving "little brother" like EH who takes care of her, though, in being resilient. :D

As for removing experiences and qualifications from one's resume, that isn't illegal. It is considered fraud to list qualifications and experience that one doesn't have, which is a crime. However, removing items isn't, as far as I know, though this may differ from various jurisdictions, of course. If anything, there is some guidance out there to tailor one's resume to the job that one is applying to. That usually includes dropping any jobs or qualifications that isn't relevant to the position that you want. If there are "holes" in your employment, than your interviewer can ask about those periods, and one should respond truthfully, however, it isn't mandatory to list every experience/position/qualification that you might have had.

Btw, there is an exception to this. If a position (or a contest or whatever) specifically lists as one of its criteria that one must not have a college degree to qualify, then removing the college degree from one's application/cv/resume would also constitute fraud. I don't remember if they mentioned how the position that DY applied for at Gyeoroo was worded to see if it said that they would accept people only with high school diplomas or that they wanted people with high school diplomas, meaning one is an absolute condition and one is a preference.

Given how difficult it was for DY to find any job that wasn't part time work despite her qualifications and experience, I have some sympathy for her trimming down her resume to try for an entry level contract position. And, it's not as if she isn't doing the job that she was hired for. She's doing everything she's being given to do, even the ridiculous hand deliveries of gifts that had never been done before that Director Go made DY do in order to keep DY doing busy with her tasks. It's just that DY can do that, and is capable of doing more, and so does it. It would be a bigger problem if DY was neglecting her own work in order to do work for the Marketing Team only or something.

1 hour ago, Latte_Anyday said:

By the way, what's in that secret room anyway? It's not like a room where he does kinky stuff is it LoL?:phew: Like Christian Grey's Red Room?:w00t:

LOL. The secret room has his research on the author Kang Byung Joon. They showed it in one of the earlier episodes. Not sure if KBJ is his birth father or not, but JSJ does seem a bit obsessed with KBJ's retirement from society.

Since EH also said that he was KBJ's son, I'm starting to think that EH and JSJ may both be illegitimate offspring of KBJ, and thus half brothers.

• Like 9
  • Love 1

D00qPeIU8AEFhmN.jpg

D00qQISU0AAeJGb.jpg

D00qQxQU8AQ76_T.jpg

ROMANCE IS A BONUS BOOK/ EP. 12

Lee Jong Suk/Cha Eun Ho & Lee Na Young/Kang Dan Yi

THEIR FIRST DATE

ONE LATE NIGHT A MAN AND A WOMAN WENT TO THE CINEMA AFTER THE DINER.

THE  WOMAN HAS WRITTEN ON HIS HAND: I LIKE HOLDING HANDS WITH YOU.

THE MAN HAS ASKED: WHAT ABOUT THIS THEN? - AND KISSED THE BACK SIDE OF HER HAND

KDY: I LIKE THIS EVEN MORE

CEH: THEN I'LL LOOK FOR ANOTHER THINGS THAT YOU ALSO MIGHT LIKE!

KDY:  CHA EUN HO,  NOW I THINK ABOUT THAT ...  I ALSO LIKED THAT KISS

CEH: KANG DAN YI, WHAT COULD A GOOD TITLE FOR THIS? ... WILL FIRST DATE DO?

KDY: YES, I LIKE THE TITLE

https://twitter.com/bellllforyou/status/1102584079801675776

• Like 1
  • Love 3
  • Thanks 2

Some epilogue text translations from the end of ep 12.

EH in epilogue 1 text:

D0vQkKLU0AUEW9V.jpg
Actually, I had wanted to use fancier methods.  
Making the confession that I had held back for so long, as well as asking her out for the first date.
However, Kang Dan Yi always lightens my expectations.
So even just saying that we should eat a meal outside
becomes an event that makes me flutter.

note: What he’s trying to say is that he imagines these grand gestures, but when he faces DY, he can’t focus on those, and he ultimately ends up just blurting out something simple because he’s so nervous about it. It’s a cute sentiment.

DY in epilogue 2 text:

D0vQkKMVAAAU4QU.jpg
How was I able to hold hands with Eun Ho for all this time?
How was I able to walk shoulder to shoulder with Eun Ho, and laugh as if it was nothing?
When even just meeting glances makes me shiver like this.
When I like him so much that it’s hard to even take a breath.

DY and EH in epilogue 3 text:

D0vQkKRU0AIV_rF.jpg
“Because you’re beside me, it’s a relief!”
Between us, are there any words that are more passionate than that?
In the time that has already passed, and in this time now,
And in the time that is left to live,
The fact that we are going to be by each others sides.
That fact makes me live in constant fluttering.

Spoiler

DY in epilogue 4 text:

D0xw9nnVAAAXhcR.jpg
That there is someone who will always call my name.
That there is someone who when I call out his name will turn around and smile at me.
That simple and plain thing is actually a difficult thing to have, I know that well.
That such a miraculous thing is next to me is fantastic.

From the last epilogue text when they’re holding hands:

D0xw_KnUcAAp8YC.jpg
That night, we kept holding hands and walking.
We shared a goldfish bun with one hand even though it was very uncomfortable.
As if we had only just found the puzzle piece that we had been looking for so long,
As if we had never been apart from the beginning and were one body.
It was an ordinary, and yet romantic, night.

@stroppyse  thanks for the translation! :)

Hope, I have combined texts and pictures correct! 

Epilogues photos: https://twitter.com/CJnDrama/status/1102203864114028544

• Like 4
  • Love 4
  • Thanks 2

I have not read all of the comments concerning Dan-I and her daughter or about Ms. Go; however, I have a take on the two topics,  I hope I am not wasting anyone's time by repeating what has already been discussed.

Dan-Yi's daughter

Dan-Yi daughter is away at school, however, we do not know the circumstances of her being away.  We do not know if the daughter won a scholarship to this school or someone sponsored her.  Since Dan-Yi was homeless, it was the best decision for her daughter to go away and not have to face homelessness also. 

Dan-Yi spoke to her daughter once when she was having a hard time  Dan-Yi also mentioned that she wanted to excel in at work because she wanted to be a role model to her daughter.  Since Dan-Yi's family is not the focus of this drama, I did not expect the daughter to be featured prominently or become a major plot line.  Until the last episode, we did not know that Ms, Seo had a child.  One of the points made in this drama is that hard to be a working mother because the prevailing attitude about career women. 

Ms. Go

Ms. Go has been down on Dan-Yi from the beginning.  Before she knew that Dan-Yi was married; it was as if she looked down on Dan-Yi for not having a college degree, but wanting excel become an integral part of the publishing house.   Ms. Go made Dan-i do menial tasks as if to say, stay in your place, do not overreach, do not think you can become anything more than being a gopher because you did not make the sacrifices (college, not getting married.) as I did.  Now that she knows that Dan-i has a college background and has won awards, she feels threatened, because, although Dan-i did not reveal her background, she has already brought many new ideas to the table and they've been successful.  Dan-Yi did not reveal her entire educational and professional background because she had already experienced the difficulty of returning to the workplace with her credentials,  therefore, she chose to only list her high school diploma.  The object was to get a job.  Once she got her foot in the door, her plan was to work hard, contribute, become essential to the company  and perhaps they will retain her permanently.        

In the real world, it is hard for a woman, after being out of the workforce for a period of time to return especially to a position comparable to the one she left.  If a woman chooses to stay home with her children until they get older she is less less likely to reach her professional potential. Many employers want to see a continuous work history, not realizing that stay at home mothers have so much to offer.  It is unfortunate that one of the most important tasks mothers can do, (be a housewife) is under valued.   

Yes, we have the budding, sweet romance, :D but this drama also highlights other issues.  There is Ji Yool, a young woman who, until recently, only looked at her position as something she had to do until she found a husband to take care of her.  Then there is her mother always forcing blind dates on her, reinforcing the opinion that finding a husband is the most important thing she can do.  Her mother has not encouraged Ji-Yool to become successful in the working world because success for a woman is landing a good husband.  Ms. Seo, who was married (now divorced); however, many did not know that she was married and who she was married to.  When her son became sick, she felt as if she could not say, I cannot make it today because my son is sick, she had to say that she was in an accident.  I think all these story lines are a commentary on women in the work place.  In the workplace a woman has to be a b*&!h, hard nosed, can't show any weakness, such as having to take off for a sick child, send their child away, or not getting married in order to succeed.  

Overall, I love this drama and the budding romance between Eun Ho and Dan-Yi...It makes me smile and my heart sing. 

• Like 7
  • Insightful 1

45 minutes ago, ibru said:

@stroppyse  thanks for the translation! :)

Hope, I have combined texts and pictures correct! 

Nice job on combining text and pictures. Thank you! I think it's better with the pictures, but I don't really have a photo upload facility right now to include screen shots. so, thanks for doing that.

• Thanks 4

OUT OF TOPIC

Do you remember the book LOVE IS  by Puuung from W-TWO WORLDS, which Kang Chul and Yeon Joo were reading?

Now Puuung is making LOVE IS-2 and her new arts somehow are very close to the theme of ROMANCE IS A BONUS BOOK...

No photo description available.

No photo description available.

Image may contain: one or more people, people standing, people walking and outdoor

Spoiler

https://www.facebook.com/puuung1/

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

Nice job on combining text and pictures. Thank you! I think it's better with the pictures, but I don't really have a photo upload facility right now to include screen shots. so, thanks for doing that.

You know, tvN is posting these epilogues after the episode is finished on IG, Twitter and fb...

There is no need to make screencaps)))

So, If you are going to translate them till the end of the drama - I'll do it with pleasure!:D

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, ibru said:

You know, tvN is posting these epilogues after the episode is finished on IG, Twitter and fb...

There is no need to make screencaps)))

So, If you are going to translate them till the end of the drama - I'll do it with pleasure!:D

Oh, I see. I translate them right after I watch the episode usually since I'm curious about what they say. I wasn't posting the translations initially since there are subs which try to capture the essence of the thought. However, I noticed that the subs weren't just abbreviating the sentiments, sometimes they were writing an incorrect or misleading sentiment in their drive to shorten them to the viewing time available. Anyway, it seemed as if some people here might like to read what the epilogue sentiments say in entirety so I started posting a few translations to the thread. I'll try to continue doing that until the end of the drama as long as people want to read them. :)

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 3

51 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

as long as people want to read them. :)

Yes, please and thank you. I do want to read them.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

The final 2 epilogues from episode 12. Since @ibru showed me where they post the pictures, I've even provide pictures rather than just descriptors. Thank you. Though, on broadcast days, I'll probably just end up posting translations only since I don't know when these epilogue stills are released. :)

As we live, we will meet hurdles in our lives which are just too difficult to go over.
What helps us get over those hurdles is not any stupendous thing.
Saying that you can do it, that encouragement from sympathetic people.
Whatever the result, the belief that you can do it well conveyed by a hand gesture.
Ultimately, it is being secure in each other’s love
That we gain the strength to overcome our hurdles ourselves.

I hope that Kang Dan Yi will not get hurt.
Even if you do get hurt, stay strong.
I am always right beside you like this, looking at you!
And, I will continue to look at you.

I think these two epilogues actually point towards what will happen in episode 13 with DY possibly losing her current job and having to study to pass the work qualification exam. Though the earlier one about overcoming hurdles also seems to indicate EH's struggles with his guardianship over KBJ.

However, I think these also talk to their relationship in general. In the first one, they've always been there for each other and gravitated to each other when happy or sad or having difficulties. The anomaly was that DY hid her divorce from EH, probably from shame at what she saw as her failure. And the second one really is expressive of EH constantly thinking about DY and watching out for her, but also looking only at her. So, the term "looking" at her really means that he has no eyes for anyone else than her, and I think he's shown that as well. He's dated other women, but those relationships failed, ultimately because those women weren't DY, and he was aware of that. As they say, the heart wants what the heart wants.

@avondale16, you're welcome, and I'm glad you are reading them.
  • Like 2
  • Love 5
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

As we live, we will meet hurdles in our lives which are just too difficult to go over.
What helps us get over those hurdles is not any stupendous thing.
Saying that you can do it, that encouragement from sympathetic people.
Whatever the result, the belief that you can do it well conveyed by a hand gesture

I love this quote. And... thank you again. :D

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

DY possibly losing her current job 

I think she will lose her job based on the scene, she is carrying a blue box.

She carry her belonging from her office, i think.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, stroppyse said:

Oh, I see. I translate them right after I watch the episode usually since I'm curious about what they say. I wasn't posting the translations initially since there are subs which try to capture the essence of the thought. However, I noticed that the subs weren't just abbreviating the sentiments, sometimes they were writing an incorrect or misleading sentiment in their drive to shorten them to the viewing time available. Anyway, it seemed as if some people here might like to read what the epilogue sentiments say in entirety so I started posting a few translations to the thread. I'll try to continue doing that until the end of the drama as long as people want to read them. :)

Thank you so much @stroppyse for your effort.  Please continue to translate, I love to read them, word by word, line by line - inspiring.  And @ibru thanks for all the updates and posting.  Again, as usual, you are very prompt. :heart: 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The CEO has made it quite clear what the company's policy is like - anyone who is a contract staff needs to reapply to the common pool to be considered for a permanent job. Ms Go wanting to terminate Dani's contract is really out of pettiness - I just feel like she is threatened by Dani. Thinking all this while that Dani is "only" a high school grad, surely she can't be this competent. Realising that she is actually experienced probably gives her an excuse to "get back" at Dani. There is nothing kind nor nurturing about this woman. She could easily have advised Dani - "look, you're clearly better than just a casual office support staff. How about applying for a perm position here?" But she doesn't do that. She's a very tit-for-tat person. I'd like to think that Dani will indeed apply for a perm job, and given that everyone else already knows her, has seen her work, and likes her, she will get the job.

@xXMzSmilesXxAs regards whether Dani was trying to get a marketing job in a roundabout way, no, I don't think that was her intention when she applied for the Task Support Team. She clearly did that out of desperation. But to Ms Go, it would not look that way, cos Ms Go can't see beyond her own nose. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, stroppyse said:

Anyway, it seemed as if some people here might like to read what the epilogue sentiments say in entirety so I started posting a few translations to the thread. I'll try to continue doing that until the end of the drama as long as people want to read them. :)

I am enjoying them as well, and I keep sending people over here to read them. Keep it up! :)

• Like 8

@gilaswan

Agreed (nods) that it was pettiness. 

It was pretty obvious when Dan-I came up with ideas for the gift wrapped books, the blurb etc, that female chief editor was seething with envy. 

As you've mentioned, she couldn't stand someone who's her subordinate to outdo her at something which is considered her turf/speciality. And yea I find her very unlikeable. 

• Like 7
  • Love 1