[Drama 2019] Romance Is a Bonus Book ♥ 로맨스는 별책부록

Maetawinz

2 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

@enigmatic_zephy No, she can not be charged for fraud as she hasn't forged any document. She has a high school degree. She just hid that she has a college degree and even work experience. She lied but it was actually to her own disadvantage. Over-qualification is not a fraud... Not everyone with a college degree is able to find a job corresponding to the qualification. I know many people working at supermarket, although they went to college.    

Glad to know its not a fraud.

Its just u are over qualified for a degree to apply for clerical job? Maybe?

• Like 6

Can HR actually charge someone? They are not the police. Although she is a temporary worker she can't be fired right? Arbitrarily. I mean the job application could have stated minimum qualification. Not ALL qualifications.

One of my friends is leaving my city because she didn't even get a call back to be a receptionist. Its hard to find good jobs here. So she accepted an overseas offer to be an assistant director of a group of services. Snort. No call back or success here but management overseas. She has a MBA with experience.

Forget about the drama plot, does HR in S Korea work that way? I tuess the timing is right. It is episode 12 tonight. To have some sort of angst. 

Should I be concerned they are not concerned there's a 12 yr old child overseas.

• Like 6
  • LOL 2

It's been a couple of weeks, but I'm back!

Have to admit, the story suddenly got a bit too slow. I saw some earlier comments about LJS's acting in this drama though, and felt compelled to respond to it.

I've always thought and continue to find LJS a good actor. Even in W, which problem I felt lay with the writing and how the story developed, than his acting. I've been watching and re-watching LJS' dramas (my favourites being While you were sleeping and Pinocchio), and I don't find his portrayal of Cha Eunho similar to Jung Jaechan or Choi Dalpo/Ki Hamyeong. There's a certain maturity in Cha Eun-ho that's trapped in a history with Kang Dani that LJS brings out very well. He wants to be a man (an oppa) to Dan-i, but at the same time, he's been enjoying the attention he's been receiving from her as a dongsaeng. The transition is difficult and you see his interactions with Song Hae-rin being very different. That tension of trying to transition in the relationship is felt very keenly in him. Just that in terms of the script, I find the writer dragging this out for too long. I actually have more of an issue with Kang Dan-i's character than Eun-ho's. Is she really unable to see how he is different? Why is she so doggedly refusing to see that Eun-ho is very much a capable man (not even in his 20s anymore. He's 32 for crying out loud! Older than Ji Seojun!). I'm actually starting to find it very annoying that she dumbs Eun-ho down at home when he's clearly every bit as eligible if not more than Seojun. I'm actually quite glad that she "made it clear" with Seojun finally in Ep 11... but it's already Ep 11 for crying out loud!!

Meh.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
  • Insightful 1

14 minutes ago, ck1Oz said:

Can HR actually charge someone? They are not the police. Although she is a temporary worker she can't be fired right? Arbitrarily. I mean the job application could have stated minimum qualification. Not ALL qualifications.

One of my friends is leaving my city because she didn't even get a call back to be a receptionist. Its hard to find good jobs here. So she accepted an overseas offer to be an assistant director of a group of services. Snort. No call back or success here but management overseas. She has a MBA with experience.

Forget about the drama plot, does HR in S Korea work that way? I tuess the timing is right. It is episode 12 tonight. To have some sort of angst. 

Should I be concerned they are not concerned there's a 12 yr old child overseas.

Can a director fire a staff? If its not proper termination, any staff can take legal action to the employee. But, yup, not sure how it works there in korea??

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, ck1Oz said:

That's exactly what I have been thinking. She is supposed to have a daughter and we don't feel her existence at all. No picture of her, no texts... We only saw one call and that was it. It would have been better if DY was sometimes mentioning her daughter to CEH. Even CEH is not asking any question. This is the only complain I've got about this drama. She doesn't look like a mother.

I know, they didn't want to use the child actress for too long... but like I mentioned it above, there are different ways to give the impression that her daughter means a lot to her: a post card, a text, DY mentioning a call from her daughter, CEH talking about her, DY asking for CEH's advise concerning her daughter, the card report aso. 

@avondale16 Sure, the company could fire DY for her lies but charging her for fraud is a different story: police is involved. On the other hand, Ms. Go could have a different reason for this: why did she hide her qualifications in the first place? Ms. Go who is so proud of her career and work has no idea what it means for a housewife when she tries to enter the work market again. Notice, even manager Seo has a different position: she kept working while being married with a child. Ms. Go has no close friend who could tell her about the struggles of former housewives. The one who mentioned it to her showed a certain hatred for housewives... Moreover, the only housewives Ms. Go knows are proud of their status. Ms. Go has different reasons for this. Yet, she seems to be a little too narrow-minded in my opinion.  

• Like 7

Agree, the daughter is the one thing that feels off to me in this drama. I know they don't want to focus too much on that, but it seemed strange first of all that someone who is homeless would be sending their daughter to a private boarding school overseas (sorry, when you are homeless, you cannot even consider that). And second, we have only seen her once. And her mom never EVER thinks about her. She's a plot device, not a person. It's not just Dani, CEH would know her and be close to her, too, if you apply normal logic. So that part feels  totally off to me.

LJS is doing a fantastic job, though. I do see some similarity with Jae Chan from WYWS, but I feel this character is leaps and bounds more consistent and developed. (Sometimes the extremes of Jae Chan's personality felt a bit disjointed to me--he was this wimpy guy, and then suddenly without warning, he'd be cool and mature like Kang Chul. And then flip back in a different scene. I know his acting well, so maybe that was how the script or direction took it?) Anyway, CEH has foibles and weaknesses, too, and he's also cool at times, but somehow all these characteristics feel more unified and connected to me. 

I like the others as well, sorry for focusing so much on LJS. Just a bit sad that he's leaving now for ms. But this is a warm drama that leaves you smiling. I'm glad he's leaving on this note. 

• Like 7

Hi. long time silent lurker.  

I was just wondering why CEH is answerable to Ms Go since he's the first partner / founding member of the company. Plus his book sales contribute much of the company's profit. Surely he has must have bigger position in the company and not having to answer to Ms Go. 

• Like 8

55 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

@enigmatic_zephy No, she can not be charged for fraud as she hasn't forged any document. She has a high school degree. She just hid that she has a college degree and even work experience. She lied but it was actually to her own disadvantage. Over-qualification is not a fraud... Not everyone with a college degree is able to find a job corresponding to the qualification. I know many people working at supermarket, although they went to college.    

The requirement clearly was only with high school or shall i say,.. max high school.. it is a clear case of fraud.. even leading someone to believe otherwise, specially when it comes to job requirements.. is fraud.. and this is intentional

48 minutes ago, ck1Oz said:

wihich city is this?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

The requirement clearly was only with high school or shall i say,.. max high school.. it is a clear case of fraud.. even leading someone to believe otherwise, specially when it comes to job requirements.. is fraud.. and this is intentional

wihich city is this?

The company chose this as criteria but it is not a law. A fraud is breaking a law. 

They discussed about the requirement and the reason was simple: if they had to hire someone with a college degree, they needed to pay this person a higher salary. So the requirement was lowered in order to save some money. The company is not losing anything... so in order to be a fraud, the company must suffer some damages which didn't happen. But the company can still fire DY for her lies. 

• Like 5

ep 12 impression. smile and more smile. 

that's a lot of smiles in one ep.  :) one of many things i love about this drama. it really succeed in making you smiles like a fool. 

i still didn't understand why director go discuss danyi issue with eunho. she can go directly deal with with the president instead.

talking about her overqualification, a lot people do this too in my country. some omit their degree to apply for diploma level of work. usually there is no problem. it's all depend on the company. if the interviewer the type asking more than needed, so bye bye to the  job you apply. usually nothing happen.  even if they know about degree, it's not  big issue to make. as long you did what you required to do and no complaining about the salary, it's all good.

eunho and that sneaky almost kiss in the car, :smirk: dan yi are so thirsty for his kiss :phew: and he damn well knows it :lol: i'm embarrased for danyi 

the bromance lolz.  why can't they just call her parents. why cha eunho :lol:  they are hugging in their sleep and eunho definitely dreaming of danyi in his sleep. :joy: gosh, so cringy :lol:

we reach another point of KBJ mystery, the date, the last novel, April 23 indicate something. and eunho know the significant of the date for the novel better. the original title was supposed to be midnight blue too. i wonder if eunho, the one change the title? but why? and what's the correlation with JSJ again?  did KBJ author stole JSJ work before retiring?( kinda reaching a bit here) or are they really related by blood somehow? 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, bebebisous33 said:

The company chose this as criteria but it is not a law. A fraud is breaking a law. 

They discussed about the requirement and the reason was simple: if they had to hire someone with a college degree, they needed to pay this person a higher salary. So the requirement was lowered in order to save some money. The company is not losing anything... so in order to be a fraud, the company must suffer some damages which didn't happen. But the company can still fire DY for her lies. 

Ok.. relate it to real life, you don't have the option to NOT tell people about your education. Irrespective, you are obligated to divulge the information. it is upto the company to accept it or not. If upon background check they find you are PhD but didn't tell them about being a PhD because you were applying for receptionist is legally wrong. With a conscious attempt of hiding information, specially with intent to mislead for said objective is enough grounds to get fired.

• Like 4

Oh man, and I thought after last week's episodes, I couldn't become anymore giddy, giggly and smiley but ep 11 and especially 12 has taken it to another level. I pretty much watched these episodes cuddling a pillow to my face hahaha

I think the acting and chemistry between our two leads is just soooo perfect. It is making me reminisce over those first moments you have with someone, that are so heart fluttering and just warm you up. From the secret hand hold to the SUPER CUTE way Eunho asked her out to dinner. It was the first time I think that he was actually a little nervous and hesitant to ask. Oh they are just toooo cute. 

My heart aches for when Dan i finds out about her losing her job, and I commend Eunho for taking her out and them having a good time until that moment has to happen. I personally don't believe it is grounds for her to be fired from her job. If you accept the terms of employment and salary why does it matter what qualifications you have. It would be an issue of that person felt the work of the job they got was beneath them and too menial but Dan-i always does all of the tasks with a smile on her face. So a little annoyed by this direction cos it feels unnecessary. And if the Director did have a real issue with it, she is a contract employee. So just let her finish out the contract. You still have a dedicated hard worker at your disposal. It would be more of a headache to have her removed and then find a replacement.

Oh Haerin you crack me up, I LOVE how high emotional she is, so super passionate. I also love the way Seo Jun looks at her too, he definitely didn't look at Dan-i like that. Such amazement, puzzlement and interest. In some ways this couple could have worked in their own series! 

Also got to mention the conversation between Dan-i and Seo Jun too and her "break up" with him. I was pleased it was so well communicated and not so "drama-y". It felt gentle, heart-felt and honest. 

Oh and poor kid with the meningitis! When I was about that age, I got really sick and had that spinal tap test. Thankfully I wasn't diagnosed with meningitis but holy crap I remember how painful it was. The needle they use is HUGE. The only saving grace was that I was so unwell and feverish, I was too weak to get scared. 

Oh man, only 4 more episodes to go. I honestly really want to go back and watch it all in one hit again!  I do hope to find another set of subtitles though. As while I am so so so grateful that the episodes come out on Netflix really quickly, I don't think they are as accurate as they could be given the posts on here. 

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

Ok.. relate it to real life, you don't have the option to NOT tell people about your education. Irrespective, you are obligated to divulge the information. it is upto the company to accept it or not. If upon background check they find you are PhD but didn't tell them about being a PhD because you were applying for receptionist is legally wrong. With a conscious attempt of hiding information, specially with intent to mislead for said objective is enough grounds to get fired.

I believe it is more nuanced than that, as it is entirely dependent on what the job description is asking for and for what industry. Usually, it would be asking for relevant education and work experience. So I don't think you are obligated to divulge all of the information, only what is relevant. In the example of someone with a PhD applying for a receptionist role I disagree that it is legally wrong for them not to disclose that. Who's to say what circumstances lead that person to want to apply for that job. It isn't relevant to it and would be up to that person to demonstrate in their application their suitability to the selection criteria listed. 

Now in Dan-i's case, it is a gray area and I can see the for and against arguments about her situation. Haha I just know if I was her employer, I would be surprised and puzzled but I wouldn't think I would need to fire her.

• Like 6

43 minutes ago, teegyj said:

I believe it is more nuanced than that, as it is entirely dependent on what the job description is asking for and for what industry. Usually, it would be asking for relevant education and work experience. So I don't think you are obligated to divulge all of the information, only what is relevant. In the example of someone with a PhD applying for a receptionist role I disagree that it is legally wrong for them not to disclose that. Who's to say what circumstances lead that person to want to apply for that job. It isn't relevant to it and would be up to that person to demonstrate in their application their suitability to the selection criteria listed. 

Now in Dan-i's case, it is a gray area and I can see the for and against arguments about her situation. Haha I just know if I was her employer, I would be surprised and puzzled but I wouldn't think I would need to fire her.

From what i know, question is your highest qualification when they ask for educational qualifications. Whether company takes an action or not is upto them, but if they choose to, they will win and hiding information on purpose to gain an advantage will not be seen as justified in legal context.

You are always asked to sign that all information divulged is true to best of your knowledge. Resume doesn't have education that i want to divulge, but education history (or your highest degree)

• Like 3

Romance Is A Bonus Book /Ep. 13 Preview

Live broadcast 2019.03.09 on tvN at 21:00 KST

Spoiler

Link to watch online http://tvkim.co.kr/#

[Romance is A Bonus Book 로맨스는 별책부록 OST, PART 5]

The Black Skirts (검정치마) - 어떤 날 /SOMEDAY/ MV

Listen on 
Melon https://melon.do/wEMLo8GNU
Genie https://www.genie.co.kr/detail/albumI...
Spotify 
Itunes 

Information
Title : 어떤 날
Release Date : 2019.03.03
Artist : 검정치마 (The Black Skirts)
Drama : tvN Sat-Sun Drama Romance is A Bonus Book (로맨스는 별책부록)
Album : 로맨스는 별책부록 OST Part 5 (tvN 토일드라마 )

Genre : Drama, OST
Published by ㈜ 카카오 M
Agency : ㈜ 카카오 M

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Er we might have to agree to disagree on fraud vs omission here. Since we are talking and its obvious we are living in different countries. Don't have we have a HR person or an attorney here who is a viewer who can answer this? @avondale16 I think I know how it works in SK. And have a fairly good understanding including how to access legal Acts in the court system. However how it works in a drama is a different thing. I have friends who work in SK.

I am in Australia by the way. We have people who change careers here all the time. So inexperienced people have applied for jobs they are not qualified for and just work. However @enigmatic_zephy you seem to believe really strongly on this subject so. I am happy to read it. Since we have to do a cover letter when it comes to job application its a bit hard to hide relevant work experience. As we have to address the job criterias. Besides we all need post grad qualification on top of it.

The reason why I say this on soompi is that I am about to volunteer at my kids school canteen today. We have to volunteer for so much stuff in schools here. Just to chop vegetables and fruits. And apparently cook some stuff and I kept quiet about my work and not commenting on my cooking skills. People omit information when its necessary. And for Danyi's it was financial survival. She needed the money.

For drama purposes since there are no parents here, I guess the writers need to introduce some sort of crisis for ep 13-15. Since we seem to be on a drama plot formula. So whether Danyi retains her job or not it will depend on the writer.

I am moving on from this topic and on going onto ep 12.

If you want to talk about things bugging me. And its not fraud or omission; its Kang Danyi clothes. She is on minimum wages. And in other dramas the female lead in the basic wage job is on the rooftop apartment. With cheap clothing. Look at Danyi. Even if she saved on accommodation and utilities she still has her daughter in the Philippines boarding school.

The writer doesn't even bother letting her make phones to her daughter now. Lets say EH ends up with her. There won't be any hanky panky time when there is a teenager at home. She will be busy ferrying her to a hagwon or music lessons. Or supervising homework. Or working overtime at work. Whoever heard of a marketing team person who leaves work on time in Korea? And not forced to go drinking after.

So HAH to the romance. Or basic wage job.

• Like 7
  • LOL 1

@ck1Oz  I think EH bought her clothes because he said what she was wearing to work was too dowdy. And beat the ex into giving her child support and alimony. Maybe she's living rent free with EH, too. Dunno. Weird though she's not calling her kid. Failure of the writing. Why introduce a child character and drop them completely. And Danyi with bandaids in her purse seems like a nurturing maternal woman. It's odd. 

• Like 9