Quantcast
Maetawinz

[Drama 2019] Romance Is A Supplement, 로맨스는 별책부록

Dy8ufFtV4AEgWrd.jpg

Romance is a Bonus Book.

Text preview for Episode 5.
Broadcast date:2019-02-09(Saturday)

Hae-rin (Jung Yoo-jin) who is responsible for the book 'Gray World' hands the marketing to Dan-yi (Lee Na-young).In order to catch the escaped writer, Dan-yi, Eun-ho(Lee Jong-suk), Hae-rin traveled to Gangneung.Dan-yi and Hae-rin become closer to each other at work, and Hae-rin tells Dan-yi that she is in unrequited love.Dan-yi knows that the man is Eun-ho...
Translated by ljyoliverljs
Proofread by @Joanna5959
Layout by Tina

https://www.facebook.com/JShineFC/

https://twitter.com/JSHINE_FC_LJS/status/1094144351393832961

https://www.instagram.com/p/Btp0XTtl5jm/

• Like 7

EP 5 iMPRESSION (heart matter)

Another day at publishing house and new drama with rookie writer who debut day is coming close. Nervous take over, contract termination sent via fax. Well, roadtrip time for our Hae Rin, Eun Ho and Dan Yi. all went well, due to Dan Yi and her soothing words. :wub:

Such a pretty moment :wub: (PLEASE DONT RUIN THIS BEAUTIFUL FRIENDSHIP WHEN THEY HAERIN LEARN THE TRUTH LATER, Writernim!!)

Dy-dyHXUUAAZocj.jpg

Oh dear, that bit with social media updates between the employees make me LOL, especially with them blocking their boss after just 1 post :lol:. but foreal, who will actually follow your boss on socmed anyway? NOT ME DEFINITELY :lol: 

Kang Danyi spirit:thumbsup:. i love that she won't give up and still strive to show her talent. and a bit strategizing, luck  and a little push from Eunho, she finally pull an idea that won't be covert by Miss Go again. and it was such a beautiful idea too. no wonder Miss Go continue being petty by slaving Dan Yi for whole days. 

Eun Ho and Dan Yi went on a date not a date to celebrate Dan Yi first paycheck in 7  years. they looks so comfy and then.....oh god, you two. :sweatingbullets: Eun Ho A+ for trying to get Dan Yi notice what you mean by asking about the significance of the gift she bought for you with her first paycheck, back then  and Dan Yi,.A+ for still being clueless on what he's trying to say :lol:

Danyi-Haerin bonding time reveal Haerin most embedded feelings for Eun Ho why her drunken behavior follow Eun Ho's own pattern. :tears:.

Eun Ho also share what he truly feels about Dan Yi to Nagyeong who can see though his feeling to Dan Yi since aeons ago, even before they break up back then. (oh, god. this girl is back! i love her!! :love:) ah,well. the usual dilemma when you have been friend and has this deep noona/dongsaeng relationship that you didnt know how to proceed with your feeling, and the fear of losing everything if it didnt go well :unsure:

but no worry, he gonna get some high dose of wake up call when he see, that person who danyi has been eating ramen with. :smirk:

Here's Nagyeong for the night.:heart:

Dy-f6MbU0AA95Ig.jpg

• Like 9

5th episode early thoughts since still watching.

I nearly fell over laughing while watching at the sly reference to LJS' previous drama "I Can Hear Your Voice".  It's a scene with the CEO, where he and EH have a mental conversation, and the CEO even uses a slight paraphrase of the drama title to mentally ask EH "You can hear my voice?" :lol:

Btw, as close as EH and DY are, I mean, they even share food without thinking and when they're together, they are in each other's personal spaces and even their heads are nearly forehead to forehead. I can't help but yell at the screen at DY for not realizing how truly close they are and that EH has the most massive crush on her. I so need DY to wake up to EH as a man rather than her little brother.

And, it's also so cute how the normally chic and unflappable EH becomes a bit of a dork whenever he's around DY. Awww.

Okay, back to watching the episode. :D 

• Like 12

I. REALLY. CANT. WITH. EUN HO'S. BEHAVIOR.

He is too adorable and pretty and I just can't stop smiling every time he's on screeennn!! And the thingy between EH and DY is just so realistic. A man and a woman with no status or whatsoever but acts like a couple goshhhh stop being so cuuute or I'll get a heart attack! 

AND DAN YI, stop with the investigation between EH and HR and start looking at a mirror whenever you're with EH. Then you will finally get the whole picture:yum:

tumblr_pmbg2mS6fc1xstbxpo5_r1_540.giftumblr_pmbg2mS6fc1xstbxpo6_r1_540.gif

This drama keeps on getting cuter and cuter><

• Like 11

Here is preview for episode 6 :)  I guess second lead gonna be the wake up call for our man to sort out his feelings and do something about it :sweatingbullets:

• Like 9

A translation for this preview to ep 6.

EH: Why do you keep meeting a man you know nothing about…?
EH: Her “neighborhood friend” is Ji Seo Joon?
JSJ: I have quite a lot of interest in Kang Dan Yi-shi.
EH: A man that you just know from around the neighborhood says he has a lot of interest in you, and you just keep nodding along?!
HR: I can’t do anything about my feelings any more. Since that’s love.
JSJ: With the author Kang Byeong Jun, what is your relationship with him?
DY: “April 23”, that novel, the secret of that title…
EH: We are “we”! Ji Seo Joon, that-! He’s by himself!
JSJ: Is it that he dislikes me? Or that he likes Kang Dan Yi?

The preview at the end of the episode had a little bit extra, so here is that one as well:

JSJ: Instead of meeting by chance, why don’t we call and meet.
EH: Why do you keep meeting a man you know nothing about…?
EH: Her “neighborhood friend” is Ji Seo Joon?
JSJ: I have quite a lot of interest in Kang Dan Yi-shi.
EH: A man that you just know from around the neighborhood says he has a lot of interest in you, and you just keep nodding along?!
HR: I can’t do anything about my feelings any more. Since that’s love.
JSJ: With the author Kang Byeong Jun, what is your relationship with him?
DY: “April 23”, that novel, the secret of that title…
EH: We are “we”! Ji Seo Joon, that-! Ji Seo Joon, that-! He’s by himself!
JSJ: Is it that he dislikes me? Or that he likes Kang Dan Yi?

And, one note: The reason I put "neighborhood friend" in quotes is that the concept of a neighborhood friend is someone that you see around the neighborhood and maybe say hello or even chit chat, but you're not really friends and you may not even know each other's names. It's just that you recognize each other from seeing each other in the same neighborhood, and so you greet each other in friendly fashion. In some other dramas, there is also the concept of a "neighborhood oppa" which is similar to a "neighborhood friend" except as an oppa, they are more likely to look after you as a good oppa does or help you with something if they see you. But, both of these are really just friendly guys that you may see around your neighborhood without really knowing them. Hope that makes sense.

I'm sympathetic to DY's cluelessness about how EH feels about her, but she's already thinking to herself that she cares so much for him. It's only one small step until it turns to love, isn't it? Though, I can see that HR and JSJ are going to be roadblocks, especially since DY likes HR as well and now knows that HR is crushing on EH, plus DY enjoys having the attentions of the handsome JSJ as well. I know that EH and DY are going to figure it out to be together, but I also know that this drama is going to be raising anxiety levels to make the alterna-pairings (EH-HR and DY-JSJ) credible.

Btw, how adorable is JSJ as well. If only EH didn't already have me with his long suffering little brother longing, I might develop SLS pretty badly.

But, I already want EH and DY to be together. I also respect that EH has always been there for DY to give her space to figure out how she feels and what she wants, even though that may have been a little too passive on his part in terms of letting her know his interest. However, I don't see what else he could do really, especially when she even thought she loved another man enough to marry him. And, it's not as if EH didn't try to date other women, it's just that despite liking them and caring about them, he was never able to love them the way he did DY, and he is being true to himself as well.

• Like 10
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 4

Gosh, HOWWWWW can Dani not see that this guy is hopelessly in love with her??!! 

She is really clueless about love, isn't she? She doesn't know a thing about it. I can forgive her from being clueless over the food events. From everything I can tell (referencing basically ever drama ever made, plus real life people moving to Korea and commenting on it, plus Korean language instructors making a whole lesson out of it), people in Korea simply do not go out to eat alone. It's like putting a neon sign on your head that you have no friends, so it seems it's better even to grab the office weirdo to come along than go alone. So I can see how maybe she thinks it's just food, even if he is thrilled to be eating with the girl of his dreams. Just the act of eating with someone in a restaurant does not automatically mean you're on a date. 

But you know, Dani, when a guy takes you to fun events and spends the evening with you and stares at you continuously and walks around HOLDING YOUR HAND--then, I think it should be clear that he is sending you a message. 

Then again, he sends mixed messages to poor Hae Rin, too. I mean, his friendly contact with her parents, patting her on the head, listening to her at inconvenient times (guys, if you want to boost your ratings for a girl, listen to her! Jinjja)--those are also messages that most people interpret a certain way, too. I feel bad for Hae Rin, especially since she has this real friendship developing with Dani. That's going to hurt when it all comes crashing down.

Back to watching...

• Like 12

So far, I love this drama.

EH has mentioned to his ex that he knows he loves DY, the problem is what type of love is it?

I can see he is being very cautious about giving his heart away.

And from the conversation with DY about love, it looks like DY is not too sure either. But she knows she did love her husband.

And that's the crux of the matter - a crush, real love, friendship love, a camaraderie....

We accept that we know love exists but what is it that we are actually feeling?

EH and DY have been in each other's lives for so long that it can be that comfortable pair of socks which you will choose over the newer pair which is yet to be opened.

This is where SJ comes in. A push for EH to find out what his feelings truly are - a man's love for a woman, not a sister or a close friend. And for DY - HR is a woman friend who she admires and is close to. At this moment, there is no feeling of jealousy as she knows EH only views HR as a hoobae and colleague. But what if HR doubles her efforts to be with EH? How would she feel? At the end of Ep 5, DY is already feeling the effects when she cannot go home since HR is there. Would she evaluate her feelings then? How she actually feels about EH?

But then SJ appears and so we have Ep 6....

• Like 11

i cant wait for tonite's ep...from the preview it was hilarious when EH pissed off when DY keep nodding to the JSJ 's * I am very much interested in KDN*..LOL..that jealous face of EH - i died!...the chemistry between the OTP is amazing...we can really feel that they have been close with each other since forever..from ig comments and what not..they are sooo many people are being skeptical in giving this show a try because they think LNY looks much older than LJS ..i feel like fixing their eyes..heheeh....in my opinion they look great together...it represents some of real people out there who have this kind of noona-dosaeng relationship...if we can accept a much older actor acted alongside a much younger actress then we should be open to noona-dosaeng kinda relationship too..no double standard..just my 2 cents..

Oh well, This show really captivate my heart and i believe I wont drop this halfway as i did to Encounter..this story line is definitely fresh and I am very much like it that it centers to the - books - as  it's true that printed books are getting less and lesser read by people nowadays especially younger generations as cellphones took over sooo many things... 

Edited by lavenderrr1
typo error
  • Like 7

17 minutes ago, lavenderrr1 said:

i cant wait for tonite's ep...from the preview it was hilarious when EH pissed off when DY keep nodding to the JSJ 's * I am very much interested in KDN*..LOL..that jealous face of EH - i died!...the chemistry between the OTP is amazing...we can really feel that they have been close with each other since forever..from ig comments and what not..they are sooo many people are being skeptical in giving this show a try because they think LNY looks much older than LJS ..i feel like fixing their eyes..heheeh....in my opinion they look great together...it represents some of real people out there who have this kind of noona-dosaeng relationship...if we can accept a much older actor acted alongside a much younger actress then we should be open to noona-dosaeng kinda relationship too..no double standard..just my 2 cents..

Oh well, This show really captivate my heart and i believe I wont drop this halfway as i did to Encounter..this story line is definitely fresh and I am very much like it that it centers to the - books - as  it's true that printed books are getting less and lesser read by people nowadays especially younger generations as cellphones took over sooo many things... 

I didn't realize that LJS-LNY pairing was causing consternation because of their age difference. There is 10 years between them in real life, and LJS is a seasoned veteran actor now as well rather than a rookie. This is definitely a noona-dongsaeng drama, and I know some people just don't enjoy those, but I'm fine with them as long as the actors are good. And, frankly the noonas in the noona-dongsaeng dramas have been really amazing both in looks and talents, so I've been good with the ones I've watched thus far.

I have to admit that the noona-dongsaeng drama can't be just about the age gap, for me to enjoy it, however. There has to be something more. In this case, it's also a friends becoming lovers story as well as a forced cohabitation story, leading to all sorts of emotions and petty jealousies on their way to figuring out how they really feel about each other.

I definitely think this drama and this OTP are all sorts of cute, and look forward to their struggles to figure out how they feel about each other even before they are able to tell each other how they feel. I think I had been assuming that EH understood how he felt about DY, but it wasn't until watching episode 5 that while EH realizes that he loves DY, he's not entirely sure how he loves DY. Though I think being happy and sad along with her and wanting to constantly be with her should be a clue. Anyway, I had thought that JSJ was going to push EH into declaring himself to DY, but I now know that JSJ is going to cause EH to look even more fundamentally at how he feels about DY so that he can finally decide what to do about it, if anything.

Btw, how cute was it that EH is the one who grabs DY's hand and holds onto it, and yet pretends to be surprised later that they're holding hands, only for DY to tell him that they had been holding hands all along. Not to mention, EH getting upset when DY doesn't recognize why she bought him a coat with her first paycheck and starting to stalk off, but then his delight that DY catches up to him and holds his hand again.

I think LNY is being pretty cool and marvy in her role as well, but so far, it's really been LJS who has been delivering the emotional beats for me in this drama. Though, it was also a lovely twist of events when EH thinks it's his conversation on the phone to the CEO that he knows the author is listening to that helped the author to return, but the author reveals that DY had actually spoken with him through the door the night before about her story and how much she likes his book, even quoting passages from it, and that gave him confidence as well that someone liked what he wrote so much.

Looking forward to where things go in ep 6.

• Like 8

51993403_2170634239642281_34189545779180

Dani & EunHo are adorable together & doing such cute things together even though they are not officially a couple yet…I like the chemistry & understanding they have for each other…without being in a relationship as a love couple…Their comfort level just speaks volumes about kind of bond they share…where they don’t even need to speak out in words, yet the other one will always be around.

EunHo, is maturer for his age…he wants to have clear feelings for Dani… & I simply adore how he looks at Dani, with so much love filled eyes, & yet Boy needs more time sort out his feelings….His look has a perfect mix of Love respect & adoration for Dani…

51623549_2170634462975592_64216898323003

It was good to see, Dani settling well at workplace… & she is getting recognized for her hardwork…her idea of reusing old books as gift…was brilliant idea…It was wonderful that she got support from everyone around…though the boss lady will take her own time to come to terms to accept Dani as a talented person….Dani is quite a positive & bright person …how she convinced the writer & even came up with marketing idea too…

The president of publishing is one fun character, more than being “luckyboy” he is “funnyboy” I laugh hard whenever he is onscreen & whole staff gangs up on him…He gets all cute & funny & his reference to LJS’s drama “I can hear your voice” …..was epic….

52331941_2170634049642300_19362879555931

What amazes me, how drama not only focuses on relationships, but it also depicts the actual process of publishing houses…how much efforts & hardwork goes into publishing a single book…many new contents come up every day…but only few make it to publishing level…. & In digital era, where majority of creative writings directly goes on blogs…keeping the charm of Book & book reading is getting more difficult for publishers.

Looking forward to jealous EunHo, hope after that he will 100 times sure how deep his feelings are for Dani…

p.s.—Once again, I love the written text at ending of each episode …they are simply Love
51311735_2170634606308911_17340022931010

• Like 7

Why...why...so hard for Eun ho to confess his feelings -_-

It's hurt to saw him just let dani in clueless world alone.IMG-20190209-210646.jpg

Daniiaa how come you don't get electric shock when your sweet  boy gaze lovingly like this at you?:sweatingbullets:

IMG-20190209-210646.jpg

• Like 5
  • Love 3

In the k-drama Encounter, the writer used poems, books and stories for many purposes:

• Spoiler

• Give more depth to the main characters
    • Use the main message from classical books like The Little Prince (“enjoy your life with simple things, take care of your inner child”) and Alice in Wonderland or poem (Rainer Maria Rilke f. ex.)
    • Discover the beautiful side of poetry, make a connection between poetry and daily life.
    • A demystification of fairy tales: a prince charming is just a façade
    • To promote new books, encourage people to read

Interesting is that now “Romance is a supplement” or “Romance is a Bonus Book” reminds us a lot of Encounter as we have again a noona romance, where Kang Dan Yi, the main character, is a divorced woman too. Striking is that the story of this k-drama evolves around books as well, as CEH and KDY are both working at a publishing company.

As you can see, books have a special place again. However, the use of books is a little different, since the company Gyeoroo Publishing is a fictional company. So the books they publish and are about to publish can’t be real. Besides, our protagonist Cha Eun Ho is himself a professor of literature at Hanguk University, writer and Chief Editor at this publishing company. His works are fictional as well. Then the other difference is that the writer has a different purpose, it shows how a book is born. A book is not just the result of the author, the publishing company had a lot of people working on it: the editing team, the marketing team, the designer etc. KDY even compared a book to the birth of a baby… It takes a long time before the book in his finale form is created. CEH hopes that even with “one book may change someone’s life” (episode 4). Another distinction is the way people treats books nowadays as if it was nothing special. The clients in the bookstores damage the book without even paying for it, a clear sign of disrespect. Then the viewers are confronted with different scenes where readers damage the books. This is one of the gestures:

image-54.png?w=660

episode 4: with her cellphone, she is damaging the book. Another gesture is: some coffee stain on the book pages.

Furthermore a lot of published books end up shredded for many reasons. The publishing company can’t donate these books, the best option is to destroy them as they can still get some money from the shredding. With these two examples, we have clearly a critic about consumer society. Moreover, it shows that many books are still published despite the area of Internet and blog.

Spoiler

image-55.png?w=660

Imagine the waste of paper and the amount of cut trees

image-56.png?w=660

image-57.png?w=660

All the pictures are from the episode 4, market economy and profit are now the rules for publishing companies in order to survive.

Yet the survival and the long existence of a book is determined by his success. The pressure is definitely bigger compared to the 20th and 19thcentury, since more and more books are published which was visible in the scene at the print shop. They have to compete with foreign books as well. Furthermore many books become outdated and useless…

image-58.png?w=660

In this scene, the character Yeong-Ah sees our heroine DY searching for books about marketing. The recommendation given by YA reveal the short life of certain books. It looks like it is very difficult to create a classical book, a timeless work.  

image-59.png?w=660

epsiode 1: Ji Seo Joon and Kang Dan Yi

Nonetheless, both k-dramas used the fairy tale Cinderella, however with a different approach. Our heroine in Romance is a Bonus Book is disillusioned. She doesn’t believe in fairy tales any longer due to her divorce and situation in the episode 1. She rejects the shoes an unknown young man Ji Seo Joon offers her. The writer used certain elements from Cinderella: unknown identity, loss of shoes, night, a beautiful gown (in the shop window).  The shoes belonged to her in the first place but due to an incident, she had lost one and decided to throw the other away which were picked up by JSJ, a book cover designer. DY tells him that she no longer believes in fairy tales and knight in shining armors as she is too old for that.

Finally, the scriptwriter of Romance is a Bonus Book reminds us that diaries are actually books, so many people are already writers. At the end of each episode, we see written thoughts from our main characters. These could be seen as selected notes from the diary CEH and KDY are writing. They both reveal a lot about their affection for each other. Moreover, this was implied when KDY rejected the shoes from JSJ. She said, she would rather write her own story.

As conclusion, although both k-dramas have a different approach to books, they have one common denominator: they are encouraging people to read. Both writers treasure books in the end. Romance is a Bonus Book reveals that it has become really difficult to a classical book nowadays. This is the reason why I like watching Romance is a Bonus Book too because I love books as well.

@avondale16@twtwb @africandramalover@stardustvoid @thistle @jl08 @dukesa1122  @NongpeeP   

• Like 5
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 2
  • Thanks 2

I think just me who still madly in love with book and enjoy reading:)

So there're many still loves reading too:wub:

I agreed this drama open our eyes to values a books and treat a book with respect.

Wish after watching RBB many viewers started to readings:glasses:

:sweatingbullets:

Credit to owners.

• Like 6

Ep 6 Impression (When Jealousy  Strike...Eun Ho)

First, Eun Ho- Danyi-JSJ first "get-together" prove to be exciting little thing :lol:. the private exchange between Eunho-danyi and JSJ judging them, puahaahaha.  Eun Ho jealous expression, A++++.  :joy:

Eun Ho word to Danyi "im your home.you can come to me," in another setting can be really romantic, but in their situation, danyi cluelessness, aiyoo :joy:. Eun Ho turn bloody red after Dan yi questioning that line really get me :lol:. is that CGI or just LJS turning red for real? ;) nonetheless, he's not amused by danyi-JSJ newfound relationship. 

Danyi,  who not believing Cinderella story anymore, perhaps didnt really let go of that fairytale ending. the way she speak fondly about JSJ in front Eunho seems to indicate otherwise. 

Danyi really has some of the worst newbie luck. i dont know if Ms Go reasoning really valid(she seems vindictive not to let Danyi have upperhand :crazy:) , but they can just add Mrs Seo name and still retain Danyi name, maybe as assistant? poor Haerin too for always have to deliver bad news to Danyi. :unsure:

Haerin one-sided love, sigh. she so head over heel over eunho that she always leave her confession letter on Eunho bookshelf everytime she came there wasted. I wonder if Eunho knew about the letters and just put it back at the place as a way to tell Haerin that he will not reciprocate her feelings? i mean,it his bookshelf in the first place. and i guess she start to question  something when she see the :wub: eyes Eunho gave to Danyi at the end. 

Kang Byeon Jun mysteriousness reveal another secret. HE'S EUNHO FATHER!!! and it seem like even danyi didnt know KBJ writer is Eunho father in the first place? \  JSJ will not be his stepbrother, right? :blink: that's too makjang!! 

cant wait for another round of Eunho "Jealousy Fest", when JSJ start making his moves openly. HE'S ASKING DANYI FOR A DATE !!! :smirk:

have some angry teeth brushing from Eunho.:phew:

• Like 7