[Drama 2019] Romance Is a Bonus Book ♥ 로맨스는 별책부록

Maetawinz

13 hours ago, Latte_Anyday said:

I seriously can't stand the "Mama's Girl" intern!:crazy: She's dumb as a ton of bricks, like how does she even function in other aspects of her daily life!? I know her character is used as comic relief but the character becomes annoying that it's unbearable to watch her scenes. She just knows to bawl like a baby and doesn't even know to do the slightest, most simplest task. At least with Dan-I, she takes the initiative, and she's so much older too:rolleyes::P 

Speaking of, I'm slowly gettin' tired of Dan-I bein' clueless to Eun-Ho's feelings. Eun-Ho's not any better by not being honest either. He was pretty direct with Hae-Rin though. She's much better off with Seo-Joon imo. 

Apart from these and other similar tropes, the drama does have bits of inspirational moments into life. Like how Dan-I felt she lost her identity when she was married, and through her work she finds purpose again etc. Also it sort of motivates me to pick up a book aha.  

I agree with you. It is too exaggerated. JH would have been fired in real life for such a mistake. But I think, JH is not just there for comic relief. Notice that her mother has been raising JH for one purpose: marriage. So the girl has been taught that work is not really important... it is just a phase. She only needs to work for a while, until she gets married. That's why JH is not dedicated to work. Moreover, the mother's over-protection is the reason why her daughter acts like a baby. JH has no real "personality", she is like a child... she doesn't know what to do and what she likes. She works at the company but she has no connection to book and whatsoever. The mother did one good thing in this episode: cutting her credit cards. JH needs to learn how to live on her own, become independent. Imagine, JH gets married... this girl would end up just like DY. This underlines the same aspect: marriage should not be seen as the "endgame" of one life.   

@avondale16 I like the metaphor, a person is like a book. Actually, in German there are different expressions associating a person with a book:

- someone is like an open book / to read someone like in an open book

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1

Lee Jong Suk And Lee Na Young Are Just Seconds Away From A Kiss On “Romance Is A Bonus Book”

by U. Kim
da089ad6b88045c880b05b8bdf06e20f.jpeg?s=

Lee Na Young and Lee Jong Suk are so close to a kiss on tvN’s “Romance is a Bonus Book”!

“Romance is a Bonus Book” shows the slow yet steady romance between Kang Dan Yi (Lee Na Young), an unemployed woman who works temporarily at a publishing company, and Cha Eun Ho (Lee Jong Suk), the company’s editor-in-chief.

Spoilers

In the previous broadcast, Kang Dan Yi and Cha Eun Ho’s relationship began to change. To protect Dan Yi, Eun Ho lied that his feelings for her weren’t feelings of love, but she had already realized how he felt about her and began to see him differently. At Eun Ho’s straightforward manners, Dan Yi was both overwhelmed and nervous. She began to realize that her feelings for him had changed as well, signaling the beginning of their romance.

more https://www.soompi.com/article/1305899wpp/lee-jong-suk-and-lee-na-young-are-just-seconds-away-from-a-kiss-on-romance-is-a-bonus-book
  • Like 5

[Romance is a Bonus Book] Ep 9 spoilers, Lee Jong Suk x Lee Na Young

romance.png

Article: Naver 'Romance is a Bonus Book' Lee Na Young wavers at Lee Jong Suk's confession that's a joke-heart throbbing skinship

1. [+1653,-23]
Is it because Lee Jong Suk has that pretty boy look and that handsome look? That's why he's a chemistry fairy? He's younger, but he's cute, reliable, and his acting is good too. Thanks to him, my weekends are filled with heart flutters, and I'm happy.. Eun Ho's tears at the end was so sad. 

2. [+988,-16]
This drama purifies the soul and body. EunHoDanYi are like an innocent manhwa. Their visuals and chemistry cleanses the eyes. They have good acting skills too, till it made them seem like they are really close friends. My heart fluttered because I could feel their emotions. It's calming, but pretty and warm. After watching dramas that has murder, violence and makjang, watching this drama makes me happy. 

3. [+648,-10]
Lee Jong Suk crying made my heart hurt. ㅠㅠㅠㅠ The process of Dan Yi and Eun Ho discovering their feelings for each other is heart fluttering too. 

4. [+623,-11]
Eun Ho and Dan Yi are heart fluttering. Eun Ho who rejected Manager Song prettily and Manager Song who was rejected in a pretty way are lovely too. I like it. The last part where Eun Ho cried pierced my heart.

5. [+380,-14]
Lee Jong Suk is so heart fluttering and affectionate. He does everything. 

6. [+147,-2]
At first, I thought that this drama isn't realistic with its set-ups. But Lee Jong Suk's acting convinced me, and I'm not sure when, but I began cheering for EunDan like a crazy person. This is the reason to why Cha Eun Ho has to be Lee Jong Suk. 

7. [+142,-9]
I'm amazed at Lee Na Young's beauty every time. 

8. [+124,-2]
I like that this isn't a melodrama. And it's not a makjang.. I get heart flutters whenever I watch this. This drama makes me smile. 

bonus.png
Article: Naver 'Romance is a Bonus Book' Lee Jong Suk lies to Lee Na Young's question, "Do you like me?"  

1. [+629,-9]
Honey is dripping out of Lee Jong Suk. It's so heart fluttering. 

2. [+382,-15]
EunDan should appear together more often. What kind of romcom makes it so difficult to see the main couple together? 

3. [+247,-3]
Ha... Why is my heart fluttering? 

4. [+245,-12]
My heart hurts because of Lee Jong Suk.ㅋㅋㅋㅋ Why is he so heart fluttering? 

5. [+150,-3]
Cha Eun Ho is so cute and heart fluttering. Dan Yi is really cute too. 

6. [+89,-1]
I've never thought of myself as a Lee Jong Suk fan... but whenever this drama airs, the corners of my lips go up. Thinking of it, it seems like I've been following all of Lee Jong Suk's dramas... Guess I'll have to be his fan now. 

7. [+66,-1]
Nothing really interesting is happening... but it's interesting. I don't really look for this drama, but once I begin watching, I'll watch it till the end. Every character is interesting too. 

8. [+56,-1]
My heart broke today. The line where she described Eun Ho as a book was cool~~ Kang Dan Yi's heart is going towards Eun Ho now!!!

cr

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, AlexandraReid said:

Eun Ho who rejected Manager Song prettily and Manager Song who was rejected in a pretty way are lovely too. I like it.

I like it too. And both do it professionally and not display their emotions.

Though deep down, it hurts her a lot.

1 hour ago, bebebisous33 said:

a person is like a book. 

This is something new that i did not think about it before.

As always, thank you for your thought and analysis. @bebebisous33

1 hour ago, bebebisous33 said:

JH needs to learn how to live on her own, become independent. Imagine, JH gets married... this girl would end up just like DY.

Yup. She is childish and act like a child.

I think if she get a bad husband like ex dy, than she will have a problem.

But what if she got a good one like cha eun ho, than what will happen to her? Good life?

14 hours ago, Auntie Mame said:

Surely, tying up someone with a rope isn't the way to treat dementia

Is it mention before? Thank you.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Latte_Anyday said:

@Auntie Mame

I've personally lost my beloved mom like 2.5 months ago and she suffered from dementia.. Though oddly her mind is still quite sharp. 

Caring for a person suffering from mental illness can be consuming & I presume whoever used those archaic methods did so to prevent the man from harming himself & to keep him in place. Had he been placed in a proper facility for dementia patients, they wouldn't have to resort to such inhumane methods. 

Dementia is an illness that sadly has no cure. The human mind can be both beautiful but harmful at the same time. 

Well, KBJ was not tied up the entire time because we heard that he fell from the stairs. So he could move freely before. However, after his accident, the person in charge decided to tied him up, when he was not around like he had to open the door. He thought, if he is not monitored properly, something terrible might happen again. There is a reason why CEH has not sent him to a proper facility. His face and name are famous. If it was revealed that KBJ was suffering from dementia, they would argue about the copy rights. CEH might have forced the writer to sell the copy rights to G. company. But CEH's relationship with his father is a secret. He would be forced to reveal that he is his son... which neither the writer nor our hero wanted to reveal which I can totally understand. Even DY is not aware of their relationship. I do think that CEH and JS are blood related but CEH has no idea about it.

• Like 5
  • Love 2

@bebebisous33

You forgot, "Don't Judge A Book By Its Cover" my absolute fave:D

As this drama fall into the Rom-Com category, it was easy to see why I presumed Ji-Yool to be comic relief. And honestly, she grates on my nerves not funny at all. Thank goodness her mom knew to cut off her expenses! Still she'd probably just bawl her eyes out over everything as usual:rolleyes: I cannot believe when she asked that staff member at the factory where to hang her coat!? In the real world, I don't think she'd last a month let alone a week. I'm guessing she got in through her mom's "connections". Or her "credentials". Though she doesn't appear to be the sharpest pencil in the box. But because she comes from money, her diploma/degree could be "bought".

Even if she's planted there by her mom for purposes of making herself more marriage-worthy, couldn't she like work in something she's interested in like fashion? Since Ji-Yool seem to place a lot of emphasis on her looks, even fawning over her designer handbag:rolleyes: What Eun-Ho asked was spot on. Dan-I replied she married her ex-husband 'cause he made her feel good, and she too didn't know why she married him!:P I think it speaks to how society is in South Korea. Where it's a stigma for anyone to remain single with no family.. Heck even dining alone is frowned upon! I sometimes wonder if they marry to escape being judged by society.   

I didn't really follow the whole segment toward the end of ep.09 where Eun-Ho discovered that poor old man alone and he started sobbing. It was a disconnect for me 'cause I don't get his relation to the old guy. But most have theorized that he's Eun-Ho's dad? And Eun-Ho shares the same last name as Dan-I what does this make them LoL? 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

14 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

@Latte_Anyday This is not a theory. It was explained earlier that the writer is his father.

I miss the earlier explanation in which episode @bebebisous33

? Thank you.

1 hour ago, Latte_Anyday said:

nd Eun-Ho shares the same last name as Dan-I what does this make them LoL? 

Cha eun ho and kang dan i ( i think not the same last name).

Am i wrong?

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, avondale16 said:

I miss the earlier explanation in which episode @bebebisous33

? Thank you.

Cha eun ho and kang dan i ( i think not the same last name).

Am i wrong?

Episode 6. It happens during the scene where CEH follows his friend and colleague Jae Min to the tree where the wife's buried. Just before, Jae Min hands over some document from KBJ. BonusBook_E06_00282-1.jpg

• Like 5

@bebebisous33

Right. Can count on you to fill me in on missed details!:lol:

@avondale16

Eun-Ho might've changed his last name to Cha to avoid suspicion. As @bebebisous33 pointed out, Eun-Ho's dad's surname is Kang as is Dan-I. Unless again there's something I've missed i.e. perhaps the old gentleman isn't Eun-Ho's biological dad??? But it could just be a common surname like Kim (shrugs) LoL.   

I don't know why but I've a feeling that Seo-Joon & Eun-Ho could be related~ 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Latte_Anyday said:

@bebebisous33

Right. Can count on you to fill me in on missed details!:lol:

@avondale16

Eun-Ho might've changed his last name to Cha to avoid suspicion. As @bebebisous33 pointed out, Eun-Ho's dad's surname is Kang as is Dan-I. Unless again there's something I've missed i.e. perhaps the old gentleman isn't Eun-Ho's biological dad??? But it could just be a common surname like Kim (shrugs) LoL.   

I don't know why but I've a feeling that Seo-Joon & Eun-Ho could be related~ 

My theory is that Cha Eun Ho has been adopted that's why he had to fight for his inheritance after his mother had passed away. He had to fight against his step-father. This would have made no sense to argue about the inheritance if he was her biological son... but if we go to that adoption, then it makes more sense why a step-father would try to fight for the inheritance using the point that CEH is not biologically related to her.

KJB discovered much later that CEH was his son... This would also explain why CEH could serve DY as her errand-boy for one year, if he was back then living at an orphanage. No one would be so upset, if he spent so much time at the hospital. CEH is just an illegitimate son of KBJ which explains why there is this secret. I also think, JS and CEH are both related to KBJ. 

• Like 5

ep 10 Impression (we ...got a kiss today?) :wub: 

the writer really cannot help themselves from giving LJS a painful and heartbreaking plot in their drama. he has that face, probably. the face that scream "im in pain, im sad" really well. 

but, it such a good subplot which actually help us seeing danyi living without Eunho. constantly worrying when he went off grid. the countless of message for that 3 days scream like a lonely girlfriend missing her man. she start seeing where her heart lies in. :)

his real confession,which danyi has finally accepted as the truth  really beautiful. maybe that's why he's a writer. he has ways with words. Danyi crying at his earnest confession, him saying that he would not force his feeling on her, really gets me :wub:

D0LyqODUwAARGR_.jpg

D0LyVuJVsAAYZjG.jpg

Jiyul subplot also wonderfully done. she got an earful from eunho which finally made her realize a lil bit of her halfass work all this time. she start seeing their perspectives instead of her own. good:thumbsup:

JSJ first day at Gyeoroo prove to be fun :lol:. i can't believe im seeing  Eunho has to become referee in JSJ-Haerin argument. i expect JSJ vs Eunho, not JSJ vs Haerin at office. he looks like an older brother keeping peace in family :joy:

that double date, marvelous. from making this :expressionless:  to ;) at the end, eunho is such a dork and happily in love D0LzyahU0AUeN_D.jpg

THAT KISS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OK, we know there's gonna a dead fish kiss debate later, but I DONT CARE. IT'S STILL CUTE AND HEART FLUTTERING AS HECK :wub:

Spoiler

D0L3VLhU0AEohFh.jpg

Edited by Jillia
Please put more than 3 pics/IGs in spoiler tags, thanks!
  • Like 6

@bebebisous33

For our OTP sake, I certainly hope Eun-Ho's NOT related to that old gentleman that's for sure! But I sort of don't care anymore so..moving on:P

F I N A L L Y. They K I S S E D. Oh my god.

Love the lil smirk Eun-Ho had when Dan-I didn't give Seo-Joon a band aid for his cut ha-ha. And I liked that Lee Jong-Suk opened his mouth when he kissed Lee Na-Young:w00t::phew: not just simply pressing lips as it usually is in most other K-Dramas:rolleyes: 

On another note, I can sort of see where this is headed.. with 6 ep. left, I think our OTP happiness would be shortlived as they have to go through the usual hurdles thrown their way i.e. birth secrets, backstabbing family members/friends and other familiar k-drama tropes etc. K-Dramas normally lose steam toward the end with a rushed finale so yup, whatever it is I'm just goin' to keep watching without much expectation.

• Like 6

Ok I came for some spoilers. And I got the spoilers. Thanks. 

I actually watched ep 8 and 9 for the first time yesterday. Good move as I didn't catch any spoilers. It made my heart flutter. LNY's eyes or Danyi's eyes are like ppols of emotions. I only read it in novels where it says her eyes reflect pain/love/ vulnerability. She is such a good actress being so understated yet conveying the emotions so well.

I enjoyed it a lot.

I have been watching a daily Gangnam Scandal and had to skip a lot of scenes. But there were so many actors there who act so badly that you can SEE the actor trying to actually emote. The actual strain as a viewer looking at them is kind of torturous. So its a pleasure just immersing myself in the drama here. Haerin shooting killing daggers at JY has been so good. In the other drama the female opens her eyes, attempts to look angry and basically screams. And when a female has a bad speaking voice and does a half hoarse half screech scene? Its just like watching a train wreck happening.

@stroppyse thanks again for the translation. I sometimes feel like cringing on your behalf when I read such moving words translated. Then you see such summary written by translators in a rush. They can't help it I feel as they are paid. And to sub fast.

I am in a mellow mood this morning as I cooked dakdoritang for breakfast yesterday ( had a craving ) followed by a Korean BBQ yesterday. I love it when young entrepreneurs jazz up and give a chic vibe to restaurants. Everything is much prettier and the banchan is prettier/ nicely presented. 

Only commenting because the udon place looks so cute. And almost all the restaurants I went to in Seoul were so plain and prosaic. And since half the time I went to the ones where the locals eat- cheaper ones- it was super basic looking.

• Like 5

Thank you for taking the time to translate. But you see with proper translations- some Korean writers- are actually really eloquent. You already know I love Korean OSTs and their lyrics in the scenes. For example Touch Your Heart is on viki. When the subs are edited and done it is actually better written compared to the fast VIU subs.

This drama is on Netflix and the subs there are done by 1 subber as I see the credit. I presume the fast subs are from VIU.

I think people don't know better. I recall one of my first dramas Boys Over Flowers. It has one of the worst subs ever and it is still bad. But I didn't know better. One of my earliest dramas was Sungkyunkwan scandal and I am still channel manager there- the English subbing back then was different from now. However we have no one who is willing to go back and review the subs. So it is as it is. However subbing these days are of a higher quality. And I get grilled anyway about my Korean so I am more conscious.

That's why half the time these days I just watch an episode raw. Most of the fast VIU subs just take away the actual FEELING of the scene. Like honestly, don't you think so? I do know I swoon half the time at the romantic lyrics in the background during an emotional scene.

This drama is chilled and relaxed and for the first time, I actually like LJS playing a character. The only other role was when he was with LSY but he was so young and raw then. He is better now but still the same acting style and same speech patterns. Clipped fast speech and slightly flippant upward tone at the end.

All those LJS fans- this is not a cue for bashing please- people are allowed to have opinions about their " bias." I am talking about the acting style. He is having very good chemistry with LNY here. Who is really good and believable as Danyi. I don't see the actresss but Danyi. Where else I still SEE LJS as LJS. Vs Eun Ho.

Guess I better run away now. 

• Like 4