[Drama 2018-2019] Move Over, Fate /Get Out of the Way, Fate, 비켜라 운명아

0ly40

images from ep1 (he confused his sweetheart XD :wub:)

1 hour ago, sava2sava said:

What happend @0ly40 ?

Sorry @sava2sava, I couldn't upload correctly the link of the video :bawling:

1 hour ago, stroppyse said:

Btw, I noticed that the English title to this drama has been changed to my suggestions for the title. @0ly40, did you change it? If so, thank you. :)

Yeah, I changed it.:blush:@stroppyse

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So far so good...i already watched the 1st episode and it looks promising hopefully it won't go downhill midway to the story.

The house of the male lead reminds me so much of kang ha nui's house in sunny again tomorrow. 

I already like the 2 main leads :)

3 hours ago, stroppyse said:

Of the words that you mention, however:

"fighting" comes from the fighting spirit of competitive teams, but we tend not to just throw that word as an encouragement such as Koreans do;

"scouting" also is a term more common in sports where athletes are scouted, though Koreans use it in a generalized sense to include what would be more commonly called recruiting or headhunting in the US;

"specs" comes from specifications though the Korean version is more like a life's curriculum vitae;

"condition" - I'm actually not sure how you're seeing this used?

"lip service" - LOL. I think I've only heard this said rather archly to indicate kissing, which is a bit of wordplay.

"schedule" - I didn't think this usage was actually that far off the way English speakers would use it. Do you mind elaborating? 

"Fighting" is used as a cheer, but English speakers never use a noun form for cheers - It is always "fight!", "fight on!", "go!", "hit it!", "break a leg!" etc.   You would see what I mean if you think of a track meet where people cheer a runner with "going!" :)

"Scouting" is correct when it is used for scouting itself (even if "recruiting" is a more common word like you said), but in Korea they use it when somebody is "scouted and hired" which is wrong.  I don't think they ever use "I scouted somebody" when the person was NOT hired, as you might have noticed.  Also, I have seen it being used for people who were not actually scouted, but were hired based on an application, when the hiring person knew the applicant.  Generally a slight misuse of the word.  In fact, when I do subtitles for dramas, I find that on at least 3/4th of the cases, I cannot use the word "scout" in the English translation, though the word was used in Korean.

What you said above is the precise problem with the "specs" usage in Korea.  It is correct when it is what is specified by the job advertisement (or what is generally expected), but in Korea, people use it for what one shows in the resume.  English speakers do not say that "I had these specs in my resume".  They would say "my resume met the specs" but not "my resume had the specs" like it is often said in Korean.  Koreans would even say "look at my specs! I graduated from SNU and worked for 5 years!", like the life's resume as you said above.

"Condition".  I meant the cases when they say "condition an-joh-a" or "condition eottae?".  It is used for "health condition", but English speakers never use it standalone to refer to how anybody feels about their health.  "How is your health condition?" would be correct but even that is rare in English because "How is your health?" will suffice.

"Lip service".  I didn't mean the funny use for kissing.  It is used in Korean for somebody saying things to flatter somebody else.  Like, "the secretary was giving lip service to the chairman".   That is not at all the meaning of the phrase, as you would know (but you may have got used to hearing the Korean usage and might have stopped noticing, like in the case of "fighting" etc).  In English, "lip service" is when somebody says things to make it look like they are addressing an issue, but does not mean to address it.  Like, "the minister gave lip service to the problem of racism in the country".  [See that it has nothing to do with flattering?]

"Schedule" is sometimes used in Korean to indicate "availability of time in the schedule".  Like "do you have schedule today to meet me"  (like "oneul schedule isseo?" etc).  Schedule is also sometimes correctly used though.

Oh, another example.  "Running machine" for "treadmill".  It is not called running machine by English speakers because the machine doesn't run (or if it is "running" it only means that it is "operating").  That little detail was dropped by Koreans when they called a "machine for running" the "running machine".  It is always some little detail that is missing.  Who started the usage, I don't know...

There are a lot more of this kind of usage.  I would say that at least half the time, English words used in Korean (part of what the Koreans call Konglish) are misused.   What I find curious is that they are often not egregiously misused.  It is like the usage is in the ballpark of how it is used in English, but never accurate, and in some cases noticeably inaccurate.  It can't be easy to twist the meanings that often whenever English words get into Korean vocabulary!! That is why I called it some sort of "uncanny knack".  Very interesting phenomenon, to me.  I have no lack of respect or anything for Koreans on this count.  I just find it interesting that they do this and that those who know English in Korea do not seem to object either!

I noticed most of these in my early days of drama watching and sub-titling, but I have also got used to many of these, and do not find them strange anymore like I initially did.  So, I know how those who are very good at English such as yourself @stroppyse and many others here, no longer notice much of it.

56 minutes ago, jayakris said:

It says "An Seok Ho - Hair strand" and "Yang Nam Jin - Tooth brush" in the first page, and then 99.8 percent match for paternity probability on the second page.  The old chairman is NamJin's grandfather, as the lawyer finds out.  Now, how did those people know which toothbrush to take?  I guess we shouldn't ask questions :)

I am still laughing that we thought there would be no birth secret.  Even a DNA test is all done in the first Ep itself.  The extreme opposite of what we thought.

Indeed, we spoke too soon lol:joy:.

1 hour ago, dramaninja said:

I can tell you this much I already hate the other guy. :scream:

But I like these 2 already

Thanks @dramaninja for that clip of SJ smiling and walking away, as NJ has his eyes closed.  That was a nice scene.  These two could be fun together.

By the way, now I notice that JinA (JA) is 5 cm shorter than SJ.   So, in addition to being color-blind, NJ also has problems in dimensional-perception :) ... The guy didn't notice that that the lady's head has come up a few inches higher and nearer his height than when he hugged her in the past!   But he will find the height come in handy when he tries to kiss his woman in the future....

31 minutes ago, jayakris said:

Thanks @dramaninja for that clip of SJ smiling and walking away, as NJ has his eyes closed.  That was a nice scene.  These two could be fun together.

By the way, now I notice that JinA (JA) is 5 cm shorter than SJ.   So, in addition to being color-blind, NJ also has problems in dimensional-perception :) ... The guy didn't notice that that the lady's head has come up a few inches higher and nearer his height than when he hugged her in the past!   But he will find the height come in handy when he tries to kiss his woman in the future....

Maybe he thought she dress up in high heels for him @jayakris

Lost grandchild ? Check. 

piggy back ride ? Check .

Hug ? Check. 

Nearly slap? Check .

karaoke song ? Check.

I like leading actor:wub: , I cheered him on when he didn’t apologize (when he was nearly hitting the car ) and yes I jumped when girlfriend learn she married to the dump neighbor but who gives a damp !:D

3 hours ago, dramaninja said:

Its interesting he has a girlfriend already thats pretty rare for these type of dramas.

I can already see all the issues with her just with the preview though.

@dramaninja  Look at what the mother did she went and registered her daughters marriage to the slow witted guy herself.. 

Yes theres going to be a lot of issues with her.. She got a husband and seems like she wants to live a lavish lifestyle.. I could tell by her reaction to him not scrapping the truck there's some nastiness inside her just lurking to come out. She'll dump him in a heartbeat as soon as a better man comes along..

Also whats with the chairman not revealing who he is..? Is he trying to see is he good enough to be his G/son to introduce him to the elite society of Seoul..

6 hours ago, jayakris said:

It says "An Seok Ho - Hair strand" and "Yang Nam Jin - Tooth brush" in the first page, and then 99.8 percent match for paternity probability on the second page.  The old chairman is NamJin's grandfather, as the lawyer finds out.  Now, how did those people know which toothbrush to take?  I guess we shouldn't ask questions :)

I am still laughing that we thought there would be no birth secret.  Even a DNA test is all done in the first Ep itself.  The extreme opposite of what we thought.

I'll be joining you guys in this thread. I do want to point out the other guy is probably too old to be the grandson so it was easy to eliminate him if they took all of the toothbrushes.

1 hour ago, sava2sava said:

Also whats with the chairman not revealing who he is..? Is he trying to see is he good enough to be his G/son to introduce him to the elite society of Seoul..

I got this feeling he could do that (just like what happen to Ha Tea-Woong in guardian angel :lol: )

grandfather ask him to work for him and cross road again with second lead actors as it’s seam they related 

5 minutes ago, Ameera Ali said:

I got this feeling he could do that (just like what happen to Ha Tea-Woong in guardian angel :lol: )

grandfather ask him to work for him and cross road again with second lead actors as it’s seam they related 

@Ameera Ali  Yes the two male leads seems to be related.. I somehow think Aunt may have had a hand in him not returning home from the beginning and they way G/pa is snatching away from her it seems she's involved.. He could have told her to locate her nephew and bring him home and she had other plans for her son to take over.  I bet she knew he was alive and when she found them she said something totally opposite from G/pa's intention..

We have one cousin who has lived a pampered lifestyle while the other struggled.. I like to see a role reversal here later on .. 

8 minutes ago, sava2sava said:

@Ameera Ali  Yes the two male leads seems to be related.. I somehow think Aunt may have had a hand in him not returning home from the beginning and they way G/pa is snatching away from her it seems she's involved.. He could have told her to locate her nephew and bring him home and she had other plans for her son to take over.  I bet she knew he was alive and when she found them she said something totally opposite from G/pa's intention..

We have one cousin who has lived a pampered lifestyle while the other struggled.. I like to see a role reversal here later on .. 

Yeah it will be interesting to see what happen with them later on  ,but for me more intriguing is that his mother seem to be his real mother ,why didn’t she find his family ask for help ,did grandfather disagree with his son marriage I couldn’t wait for background story to know more about mother and dead father 

3 minutes ago, Ameera Ali said:

Yeah it will be interesting to see what happen with them later on  ,but for me more intriguing is that his mother seem to be his real mother ,why didn’t she find his family ask for help ,did grandfather disagree with his son marriage I couldn’t wait for background story to know more about mother and dead father 

@Ameera Ali  I'm also interested in the back story.. Maybe they were never married.. Could be when the father died he was told the whole family died by the Aunt..

25 minutes ago, sava2sava said:

@Ameera Ali  I'm also interested in the back story.. Maybe they were never married.. Could be when the father died he was told the whole family died by the Aunt..

Yeah that good point to consider maybe that why the son wouldn’t be be aware of his family .

Could be the second lead be his half brother and his mom step mother and his dad legal wife  No no that would be crazy to consider don’t u think :P

me and u we gonna write our drama lol:D

2 hours ago, Ameera Ali said:

I find it fascinating how easy it’s seem in Kdrama  that someone can go in someone home and steal ? :sweatingbullets:

I don't mean to sound picky but gosh all that breaking and entering nonsense granted on me .:crazy:

Yes yes, how does that happen? Do the houses not have locks or did they forget to lock them when they leave the house? It's always been a mystery to me. LOL

Archived