[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] If Paris is Not Happy 如若巴黎不快乐

sugarplum892

13 minutes ago, themarchioness said:

LOL.  Zhang Han is always worth a look.  As for the story . . . get your yo-yo ready.  :D  

I stand corrected LOL:w00t:  It just goes to show how excited I was dang Zhang Han what can I say...  Do you like it so far???

5a79d960t724af7497b7f690.jpgimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcRkbyla7RzHeCAyQGAOcOZ

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, USAFarmgirl said:

Do you like it so far???

In all honesty, this drama is not going to be for everyone.  There's a lot of push and pull (hence the yo-yo comment earlier).  I sometimes feel like the OTP spends half their time together, but in tears, and the other half trying to run away from each other.  I've already lost count of the number of times they've gotten together and broken up (all for noble idiocy reasons, of course).  Much of the drama also revolves around business/corporate dealings, which I know can be a bore for many, and ZH's mother is a real pill (the male and female second leads aren't any better in the *headdesking* department).  In light of all that, I would easily understand if someone complained that they found the drama frustrating, repetitive, and even ridiculous at times. 

But . . . the thing is, I kind of love that stuff.  When I'm in the mood for it, at least, and clearly I currently am.  I eat up the crazy and, I don't know, it just makes me chuckle even as I roll my eyes.  Perhaps that makes me as crazy as the drama?  ;)  

@themarchioness  You are my kind of cat and we may be kindred spirits LOL as it's starting to sound a lot like Here To Heart which I loved but dang it was struggle after struggle and yet it's one of my favorites as well.  I guess I look at love as a journey and full of Mountain tops as well as valleys but you know it's those valley's that couples face and live through that make them that much stronger.  Maybe I just love the idea that love is always worth the struggles and fighting for...  I am way behind you but still it's kind of nice having someone up ahead to lead the way!  As I have always enjoyed your posts so I will be looking forward to your thoughts as well.  Not to mention if I get lost or have any questions I know where to find you...

AS001448_00.gif

4 hours ago, USAFarmgirl said:

@themarchioness  You are my kind of cat and we may be kindred spirits LOL as it's starting to sound a lot like Here To Heart which I loved but dang it was struggle after struggle and yet it's one of my favorites as well.

Ohhh.... I wouldn't say it's like "Here to Heart."  At all.  LOL. 

On the one hand, yes.  It's tough not to draw comparisons because both stories are set in Shanghai and feature ZH.  It also involves family-run corporations fighting so there's lots of contract talk, and one company trying to undercut the other, just like in "Here to Heart."  But in tone and tenor, I find the stories to be vastly different.  I don't want to say there aren't ever any moments of levity in "If Paris is Downcast," but if I had to pick between the two, "Here to Heart," is definitely the cuter drama between the two.  In fact, the OTP in "Here to Heart" definitely shares a lot more cute moments whereas in "If Paris is Downcast," I actually find that ZH has more cute moments with his best friend than the female lead, LOL.  But it's fine.  They're two different dramas, after all, so it's okay if I find "If Paris is Downcast," to be the more serious and dramatic drama. 

As for the yo-yo relationships, it's true that Wen Nuan and Nan Xian had their up and downs, but it was more prolonged over time (in comparison, at least).  I mean they had their initial break up.  Then they had their song and dance before they got together.  And then London happened.  And then eventually they got together again, only to be torn apart again by the opposition from Nan Xian's mom, before finally reuniting in the end.  But the fact that I can describe their up and downs in one paragraph says a lot because, in "If Paris is Downcast," I'm only on episode 21 and I've already lost track of the number of times it's happened.  (I'm actually tempted to go back and rewatch the episodes just to make annotations, because I find it so comical.  I do recall that the drama set a record when they managed to break up/reunite in less than the length of one episode.  :P)  

Anyway, I agree with you that the charm of a drama is watching the OTP go through trials and tribulations before reaching their happy ending -- no pain, no gain, and all that.  But it's also fair to say that "If Paris is Downcast," appears to be one of those dramas that is trending towards the extreme end of putting its OTP through the ringer.  (Keep in mind, I'm not even halfway through so you know that just means there's still A LOT more of the rollercoaster ahead.)  To that extent, I like to give people fair warning because while some may  like that sort of thing, for others, it's very wearying and makes them roll their eyes and/or run for the hills.

And in full disclosure:

Spoiler

Between "Here to Heart" and "If Paris is Downcast," hands down, for me, it's "Here to Heart," and I wouldn't put my enjoyment of both dramas in the same category at all.  I couldn't stop watching (and rewatching) "Here to Heart."  "If Paris is Downcast," on the other hand, is just something I'm enjoying and find entertaining - mostly for the ridiculous makjang factors.  But even I need to take breaks while watching. 

These are my personal opinions though, and you may super love "If Paris is Downcast" once you start watching and find it to be on par or even better than "Here to Heart."  (In fact, I've read some gushing comments from people on MDL over this drama.)  But, based on your post above, I wanted to clarify my position on this drama as I didn't want you to misunderstand or even later feel misled if your experience with this drama didn't turn out to be the way you expected.

I look forward to you giving this drama a try though, and hearing your thoughts.  :) 

@themarchioness  Your warning is noted and thanks for your posts  that are keeping me company.  I'm not going anywhere as while in the 8th episode I found myself hooked and sunk into this drama.  I think what's weighing on my heart is that feeling of even when two people  push and pull, have doubts and even fears about relationships and the what if's.  There is something stronger than fear and that is LOVE and that feeling of ones heart in wanting what it wants overriding the mind because those feelings are just that strong...

x480-7RZ.jpgThunderousHappyCrossbill-size_restricted

It's funny I wrote this week on another thread how rain and umbrellas always give a sense and feel of romance and yet while watching him watching her while standing in the rain.  It made me realize how lonely that view can be as well when you are the only one under that umbrella...

Spoiler

This drama is not generating a lot of buzz.  From the feedback I read, the plot is too unoriginal, Hans' role is too repetitive of his previous works, the wardrobe and investment for the drama looks underwhelming.  These kind of dramas are a hit or miss.  I usually enjoy this unoriginal plot cause its a fresh book each time LOL. I dont mind Hans for this role but his leading lady is under performing.  Not short of sweet scenes between the two but lacks substance when there is so little chemistry between them.  I've only caught a few episodes so maybe it will get better. 

@leah8   I kind of am sad that there are not more people here and surprised as well.  I too think there are some amazing sweet and tender moments and I actually think their chemistry is working at least for me but it doesn't take a lot for me.  There is a lot of push and pull and it seems that every time they get together a separation always follows.  I love Hans and the roles he has played I see some of the same movements and gestures  from time to time. Yet a part of me enjoys knowing that it's the realness of himself coming out no matter which character he plays.  The soft way he reaches up and touches a female leads nose in teasing her is like a signature and I enjoy those moments...

Still I really am enjoying every episode and hope there is a happy ending to this love story because these two sure do deserve it and by the time we get there we will too! LOL:w00t:

I really love the OST!!!:heart:

@themarchioness  I know what you mean I am really into the songs for some reason some of them are tender and easy to listen too!  Not to mention when I see this OTP cry together and there is that soft tender tune in the background I start to feel emotional as well LOL:lol:   By the way I am about caught up and have gone without some sleep but at the moment it was worth it....  

8 minutes ago, USAFarmgirl said:

By the way I am about caught up and have gone without some sleep but at the moment it was worth it....  

LOL, I know well that feeling of, "I should go to bed, but . . ."  I may have stayed up later than I should have last night, too.  ;)  

Since you're all but caught up (impressive work!) I'll share some thoughts, but under a cut, in case it's a spoiler for others.  But only a few (and quick ones at that), as I'm still at work and really need to do some more of that.  :P  

Spoiler

As I said already, I'm really impressed by how quickly you caught up because I could not do it.  I breezed through the first 12 episodes or so.  I really loved his hot/cold pursuit of her, and especially the whole ordering pizza delivery thing until his staff got sick of seeing her thing.  That part made me laugh.  Loved that he was also doing it so she would have to stop by his office and drink the soup he'd had prepared for her.  It was sweet.

But then my heels dragged probably from 12-20 (or thereabouts).  Basically from when he broke up with her, feeling like that would be her best interest, to her then doing the same to him after they got back together.  I was ready to start my own drinking game (but hopefully not go blind, too :P) with all the times they broke up and reunited.  And that image of Jing Jie sitting on the couch of her hospital room, after he found her (again) in Paris, I seriously LOLed.  I felt like his droll expression represented how we all felt.

I think a lot of the draggy feeling comes with, not only the constant push and pull between the OTP, but also the constant running up against a wall that he goes through with his mother.  It's exhausting watch her be mean to MJ and forcing YB down ZY's throat all the time.  But, having said that, I started getting really into things again last night (watched 22-23, I think?).  I think it's because we got to have more scenes of the OTP together again.

Other random thoughts . . .

- That whole thing with MJ's friend and the artist ex-husband was weird.  And then the friend died and it was treated like an afterthought.  Seriously not sure why they even bothered with that side story.

- I was surprised at how quickly they cleared up the beginning storyline with MJ's ex-boyfriend and bringing him to justice.  Especially as this now just means we'll be in for a loooong rollercoaster ride for our OTP.

- JJ is seriously off his rockers at this point.  From trying to drag her out of the ZY's apartment to now demanding that she reveal her marriage to the world.  Seriously, bud, what business is it of yours?

- Probably the only two people I like other than the OTP are DD, MJ's best friend, and ZY's sister.  I'd like ZY's best friend more if he treated DD better.  

Ummm... I have more to say but WORK.  LOL.

I come to support my love for Paris Unhappy. I'm a bit sad that not many like this drama and all the negative comments I read. I know Zhang Han though Here to Heart, but i dropped after two episodes, not into it. And by accident I see this series and the opening song and the teaser keeps me hook. Handsome looking face of Zhang Han came on first then a pair of beautiful eyes Kan Qing Zi came next and I've been like a zombie since then :D.

I'm not familiar with neither lead actors, but i really like them in here. I feel like she's too  cute for him. And I thought the touching her nose or kissing her eyes only apply in this drama, didn't know all that is his acting signature :D

I also think the story of Man Jun's best friend Ji An is not needed i skipped most of that part. Unless it serves as a purpose for Jing Jie and Man Jun time together and to say how good and naive Man Jun is? I really don't know. 

Yes, some may find this break up and reunited is too tiring, but i like it i think it's a test to their love. I'm a believer of happy ending and faithful love. I hope it won't disappoint me.

Archived