[Drama 2018-2019] Priest, 프리스트

0ly40

Heol. I feel like netizens love to complain about the female actresses in dramas.

Give Jung Yoo Mi a chance! I am not her die-hard fan but I believe in giving the actress time to get into the character.

I suppose it is unfair to compare the Guest with Priest (two different dramas) so I will try my best to view this drama objectively.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OCN.... why do you use the same mood music in  Ep 3 as The Guest (when it was a flashback to 1995)

I had to get this off my chest.

*Goes back to watching*

Edit:

Once again OCN saves on costuming. WIll we see the priests in their clergy shirts and pants throughout? Haha

Sooo... end Ep 4 and still goosepimples appear *good sign*!

I never think it's good to keep secrets in a team so I am really interested in Soo Min and Eun Ho's backstory.

Plus how the team was formed in the first place (and I think we will see this over the next episodes)

And a kiss! Although in a dream-like sequence.

It looks like the 'energumen' is hanging around the hospital. A good question would be why and what is it's ultimate goal.

Looking forward to Episode 5!

Eh....... after watching episode 4...

Me:

giphy.gif

I mean.. I'm all psyched for the exorcism and etc since it's really advanced with the whole gang/team at work.

Suddenly there's a kiss.

Tears.

Pondering.

giphy.gif

Think I'll just watch and not fry my brain too much. ;)

After watching episode 4 with sub, I am wondering whether OSM had actually entered into further layer of his subconsciousness, meeting with part of his loss memories. Because he already managed to drive the demon out from MiSo subconscious before being pulled into the all-white space, and the bride Dr Ham did not show any reaction to the cross mark he made on her forehead.  I wonder if she was there trying out the wedding dress as that was his happiest moment (his most memorable moment) which deeply buried in his subconscious. 

Their background story kinda getting me hooked. Well, tbh I am expecting some flashbacks of romance scene between them *cough*:rolleyes:, because I know hoping to see romance between them in current timeline is kinda forbidden wish since OSM is a priest :rolleyes:. So i will just satisfied with flashbacks or dreams :phew:. Well, it is not my intention to gearing the discussion towards romance, but yeah, blame the OCN for turning my imagination for romance on. Initially, I didn't expect there would be kissing scene. That kiss with all-white space and underwater scene really caught me off guard! :phew: (I thought that Dr Ham would be burned in the dress in that scene assuming she is actually the demon imposing as Dr Ham.. but no! Unexpectedly, they gave us kissing scene instead! And what's with OCN and their  underwater scene?! :lol:). 

From the episode, in 2012 OSM was still in university. I wonder if OSM and Dr Ham went to the same university (perhaps in Venezuela) and during their final year, they were supposed to get married (based on Dr Ham's words that it's kind of exhausting preparing for the wedding with all the examinations going on). And there was something terrible happened (something demonic). Maybe the tragedy or their last moment together happened under the water (possibly they were drowned or something and then loss their memory from the incident or due to their memory's defense mechanism). hmmm.. I don't want to fry my brain yet, but I can't help to ponder...geez.. :weary:

Next episode, my guess it would be the physiotherapist being possessed since that thing is still under the water in the hydrotherapy gym (and based on the man's attire). Looking forward to episode 5. :ph34r:

Great points raised!

I am invested in the back story and there better be a good reason for that kiss.

It was jarring since I knew Soo Min was a priest. LOL.

Anyway, wasn't Eun Ho planning to go to Venezula as a doctor to help those in need? That was why she was leaving the hospital in two months?

2 minutes ago, Dramanoona said:

Anyway, wasn't Eun Ho planning to go to Venezula as a doctor to help those in need? That was why she was leaving the hospital in two months?

Yeah, she supposed to leave for Venezuela in 2 months. Perhaps she want to search the answer for something troubling her mind (perhaps, the hole she feels in her memory, to search for the reason). 

9 minutes ago, sushilicious said:

i think they both met after their parents died, but oddly enough we never know what had happened to OSM's father.

I still think they were lovers during their university years in Venezuela. Dr Ham was still a child when her parents died.

47 minutes ago, sushilicious said:

but if they are university students why would they forget each other? They are not that old though from university to their current age

Dr Ham's parents died in 1995 OSM's mother died in 1999 so it's kind of fits if you think about it haha cause they are still generally children. Then through the old priest they met

PS. The old priest got some super powers? He looks generally no different when he was in 1999 to 2018:joy: 

I think the old Priest had some skin care treatment hahahahahaha

OMO told myself not to burn my own brain. Need to stop myself *Prays*

But Dr. Ham said that she had a car accident and it was painful. So they went to Venezuela and something happened so that both had amnesia. The old priest knows about it but he didn't want them to remember.

50 minutes ago, sushilicious said:

but if they are university students why would they forget each other? They are not that old though from university to their current age

If they have gone through a traumatic event that caused their memory loss OR somebody purposely (performed some therapies) erased that part of their memory, it is not impossible. My theory is based on what Dr Ham said in OSM subconscious, that they were preparing for the wedding in the midst of their business with the examinations. IMO, that was not the demon imposing as Dr Ham, but it was OSM memory which buried deeply within his subconscious. 

Priest Moon might hold onto some secrets about them (perhaps other old members knew about it too. Detective Goo seems dodgy when OSM asked about him ever going to Venezuela). Priest Moon's ability to perform hypnosis might hint something, which in the past he might have used it to both of them. Well, just my thought.

1 hour ago, sushilicious said:

Dr Ham's parents died in 1995 OSM's mother died in 1999 so it's kind of fits if you think about it haha cause they are still generally children. Then through the old priest they met

I am not saying your are wrong in your theory that they may have met after their parents died through Priest Moon. You are possibly right too, since Dr Ham said Priest Moon counselled her after her parents died. But, we don't have any lead / hint given to theorize that yet (or did i missed anything?).

I am stating my theory based on what have been laid out in episode 4, where the possible reason for OSM to enter the white space with the setting showing Dr Ham trying on wedding dress (in an adult form) possibly because that was part of his memories deeply buried in his subconscious that he managed to enter/access during this hypnosis. Even if that was indeed the demon doing its thing, there is no reason for the demon to use Dr Ham's form to seduce OSM wearing a wedding dress if they have never been in that situation before (like OSM said, why use Dr Ham's form, it has no use in seducing him; until something triggered him to say her name). 

Something definitely happened between them in Venezuela.

On the side note, this might be a bit farfetch, but that demon, may have purposely went into subconscious to lure OSM in there, to make him find his loss piece of memory that connects the dot between him, the demon, Dr Ham and Priest Moon.

We can see from the preview OSM questioning Priest Moon if there is anything he didn't tell OSM. 

Hmmm... the more I type, the more I find the storyline is going to be interesting. I have no complaint regarding the acting of any of the actors/actresses. They just act out what's written for their character. But I do realize I have a bit difficulties to understand what Dr Ham talks about when I watch live stream. Maybe Knetz complaints regarding her pronunciation have some basis too since they watch it without any Korean subtitle. But her character has improved in recent episode and started to cooperate. Just like Detective Kang Gil Young. 

41 minutes ago, ellelyana88 said:

But I do realize I have a bit difficulties to understand what Dr Ham talks about when I watch live stream. Maybe Knetz complaints regarding her pronunciation have some basis too since they watch it without any Korean subtitle. But her character has improved in recent episode and started to cooperate. Just like Detective Kang Gil Young. 

lt doesn't seem like a big problem. She was a radio dj for over a year and her show had a lot of fans. If her pronunciation is so difficult to understand, how could she have been radio dj for so long? Besides, I saw that many foreigners are learning Korean by listening to podcasts of her shows.

1 hour ago, kamozya said:

lt doesn't seem like a big problem. She was a radio dj for over a year and her show had a lot of fans. If her pronunciation is so difficult to understand, how could she have been radio dj for so long? Besides, I saw that many foreigners are learning Korean by listening to podcasts of her shows.

Dear, I am not trying to start any "warfare" here. I like Jung Yu Mi too, watched many of her dramas and variety shows appearance and I had listened to her DJ programme a lot. Talking while sitting down in a quiet environment as Radio DJ or doing podcast versus having to act out scene and delivering lines for some people might affect his / her pronunciation due to different length of breath, voice vibrations, strength and projection and speech speed/tempo.   

I did not say her pronunciation is SO DIFFICULT to understand, I was stating that while streaming live, I have A BIT difficulty to understand what Dr Ham talks about, which means, I can't identify some of the words she said. So, I was thinking that (and I typed out what I thought of), MAYBE knetz complaints have some basis too since they are the native speaker (but I do dislike those comments that use harsh words to her), though it's actually not a big  problem because it's not like every words she said were to the extent non decipherable (If I am to exaggerate). There are many other even A-list actors/actresses still get complaints from Knetz for their pronunciation, so, sometimes, comments about pronunciation might not because of hating the actor/actress or the matter of preference, but just to address about it so the actor/actress realize the issue and improve. After all, drama progression is all about raves and reactions anyway. :)

So, I am not bashing nor defending anyone here, I am just stating my opinion regarding some of knetz reactions. Peace! :grimace:

@ellelyana88 Agreed, I also can sort of understand where k-netz are coming from. While I understand what JYM is saying her pronunciation sound just a tad bit off. It doesn't distract me at all and I think that she fits the role of a doctor very well. It's just that during her scenes I suddenly thought that she sounds a bit like people who recently gotten their veneers, like her jaw is always tense. But again no offense to her or her fans, just a curious observation. As for the drama itself, I must say that it's just my cup of tea. Ghost was a little bit too gory for me, but this is just right up my alley.

2 hours ago, ellelyana88 said:

Peace! :grimace:

Peace)

But I did not argue with you. How can I argue about how you personally hear her speech? I just tried to say that knez did't write about her pronunciation because it is a problem. They also write that she is a plastic monster and she does't know how to play. Do you think she should be aware of the problem that she is a plastic monster and fix it? Unfortunately, it’s not always talking about advice, more often it’s just hate. They just love to hate :phew:

1 hour ago, nateko said:

@ellelyana88 It's just that during her scenes I suddenly thought that she sounds a bit like people who recently gotten their veneers, like her jaw is always tense. But again no offense to her or her fans, just a curious observation.

Yumi herself said that some people told her that her voice sounded like she has renit. Someone finds it cute, someone does not like it, it's all individually, but she has no real problems with pronunciation.:blush:

WHEW, my brain’s getting fried reading these theories. Where’s the Dramabeans recap when you need it

tumblr-phc59xk4g-F1umj8af-250.gif

This is so weird, but I feel like this show is going at a fast pace yet also dragging at the same time. I don’t even know. The demons here are more scarier and that opening scene with OSM and his mom omg 

tumblr-phwy9a0-Qsh1umj8af-250.png

I’m still not over OCN crushing my DongChul x SangMi OTP from Save Me so I lowkey wouldn’t mind a side romance (in flashbacks) if YWJ and JYM can create some sparks. (DID HE KISS HER BACK??)

tumblr-phc58x6-Uf91umj8af-400.gif

One last note, imagine if you go to the emergency room for a broken arm and end up getting possessed by demon. Spray the whole place with holy water juseyoooooo

Spoiler

tumblr-phwy9abpr-D1umj8af-250.gif

3 hours ago, sushilicious said:

:joy: I low key kind of had a funny thought.

The demon in this drama is like a bunny hiding in a bunny hole, it is too lazy to move out of the hole, so he decided to play with dirt in the hole.. 

The demon is too lazy to exit the hospital cause it needs to fly and flying takes a looong time so he says “Why not just stay at the hospital and have fun instead.” Could possess some good looking doctors and nurses. And play with some good looking Priest as well.

:joy:

Hahahahah... I find your thought does makes sense since the hospital is full of vulnerable patients and burnout staffs.

Easier to possess.. no need to sweat itself to go to the outer world.. hahahaha! :joy:

Archived