Quantcast
0ly40

[Drama 2019] The Light In Your Eyes, 눈이 부시게

Quick recap of 4 (from memory):

Spoiler

So the main interaction between Hye-Ja and Joon-Ha is about a dog. He finds oriental medicine in the fridge. His grandmother was feeding it to him before, and it made him sad to see it, so he tosses it out. Suddenly a dog comes into Joon-Ha's yard and drinks the oriental medicine that he just threw out. The dog starts dancing (CG!) and it is funny. He ends up keeping the dog.

Hye-Ja sees it and insists that it is her dog. She had a dog that recently ran away that looked the same. The dog doesn't like her and even bites her a couple of times. She thinks the dog doesn't recognize her because she has become old. She keeps going to Joon-Ha's house to see the dog and finally she cries when the dog won't remember her. Joon-Ha is touched. Her father comes to ask for the dog and Joon-Ha was already on his way to bring her the dog.

The dog lives in the Kim home now. Yeong-Soo says that the dog has a penis (their dog was a girl), so it really wasn't their dog that ran away.

At some point, at the snack bar, she tells Joon-Ha that she is Hye-Ja's grand-aunt. He shrugs and seems to not care, and doesn't ask after Hye-Ja. She is sad.

Hye-Ja goes to visit Joon-Ha's house to see his grandmother. She brings food that she made. She goes inside the house and sees Grandmother's altar and realizes that she passed away. She hides under some blankets when Joon-Ha's rotten father comes in the house. (Joon-Ha, lock your door!) Father digs around until Joon-Ha comes home and Father asks for the insurance money. He is such trash. They fight verbally and he leaves. Hye-Ja falls down from her hiding place. Joon-Ha tells her to just leave.

It's the 49th day after Grandmother's death and Joon-Ha says to Grandma that he is sorry that he has no food for the ancestral rites. But it turns out Hye-Ja left plenty of food, so he is able to properly perform the rites.

Hyeon-Joo likes Yeong-Soo (Hye-Ja's oppa) after all. But she insists she doesn't, and she also finds him pathetic. He keeps on trying to make his internet live broadcast a hit by acting like a fool. She puts her helmet on a gives him a roundhouse kick, and he gets a bunch of "star candies."  (See @nidcha202's GIF above!)

Hye-Ja begins making a lunch box for her father every day. She always puts anchovies in there because they are good for the bones, and he has a limp in his leg. He won't eat the anchovies. She brings him the lunch box to his work one day, where he works as a security guard. She sees a resident treating her father badly. She stands up for him saying that she is his mother. Her father is touched. They go to the snack bar she always goes to after work and have udon noodles together. They also drink soju and he eats the anchovies she packed for him.

Joon-Ha has a job that he wears a suit to every day. Hye-Ja assumes that he got a job as a reporter. She also goes to a No-Chi-Won which is a center for the elderly (the word is a combination of "elderly" vs. "kindergarten," so it's like a kindergarten for the elderly) and is shocked to find out that Joon-Ha works there.

Viki finally has 3 up. Hurray!

https://www.viki.com/videos/1144369v-radiant-episode-3

Not fully subbed yet. (48%)

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 2

Eventually, the ratings were consistently high. I'm glad you did well.:heart:

image.png

additional:blush:

Cute picture couple!!!!!:love:

Dzzi-H7-GUc-AAR27-E.jpg

• Like 7

I knew it!!  There was a huge surge in number of views for clips. :wub:

Up up and away!!  I love it when the underdog makes a comeback. 

• Like 6

The Light In Your Eyes Ep. 4

Spoiler

Original Article: [sports choseon] 'I'm Hyeja's Great-Aunt' --- 'The Light In Your Eyes' Kim Hyeja's Pitiful Lie Towards Nam Joohyuk

2019022101001138800084601_20190220000505427.jpg?type=w540

2019022101001138800084602_20190220000505454.jpg?type=w540

2019022101001138800084603_20190220000505465.jpg?type=w540

Screen%2BShot%2B2019-02-20%2Bat%2B6.51.28%2BAM.png

1. +1259, -9 Ah seriously whenever Son Hojoon shows up it's freaking funny ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ
2. +710, -4 Son Hojoon's character seems like a really coward-like oppa, but if you look at him carefully he's the only who treats Kim Hyeja like how she was ㅜㅜㅜ
3. +698, -9 today was so sad, funny, and fun ㅠㅠ My heart hurts because of Nam Joohyuk... I want Junha to quickly recognize Hyeja 
4. +140, -2 Crazy ㅋ Hojoon and Hyeja's chemistry~~ㅋㅋ Please Joohyuk let's stop hurting and smile more~ I want to see him smile~ Hyeja's dad too
5. +113, -0 This drama seriously.. So fun. When Lee Jungeun said to Son Hojoon that she'll spare his life, I laughed so hard.
6. +104, -7 Nam Joohyuk's going to be the best actor in the future.
7. +81, -2 Everyone's good at acting ㅜㅜ A really well-made drama
8. +42, -1 A masterpiece. It makes me want to watch with a lot of people.
9. +28, -2 Ah Joohyuk-ah ㅠㅠ Pitiful seriously,,

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Ratings says it all. Sad, funny and full of scenes tugging at your heart strings. Great story and drama so far:wub: Off to finishing episode 4 first:D

• Like 6
  • Love 1

Brilliant episode.  Laughed so hard and cried just as much.

SHJ has the best lines :wub: and him trying to be Internet reality TV's next big thing :lol:

"I am just checking if you have rabies" :lol:

"Don't I deserve something special?"...His Mom, "I will spare your life"... :lol:

I believe it's the first time I have cried my eyes out watching a man eat anchovies :bawling:

O little drama I am so glad to have stumbled upon you.  You provide much needed mirth and wholesome entertainment to my life.  Taking on the realities of what it means to age and to age well with aplomb  :heart:

• Like 8

A few random comments because I love this show so much:

- The director has worked with the 2 writers before, and I have seen some of the shows. I'm tickled that a lot of actors from their previous projects are in this one.

The mother and father were both actors from "Awl"

The taxi driver was also in "Awl"

The guy who owns the elderly community center was also in "Awl"

The doctor was from "Listen to Love" (I never finished that one)

The guy that Hye-Ja had a crush on was in "I Live in Cheong-dam-dong"

Of course, Kim Hye-Ha was also in "I Live in Cheong-dam-dong" also playing a character named Kim Hye-Ja.

Another sort of callback was that in that show, she lied to people that she was from Brazil, which is the same lie she tells in Ep. 4.

Also, the actress who plays Hye-Ja's mom was also Nam Joo-Hyuk's character's mom in "Weightlifing Fairy Kim Bok-Joo" (I liked that one a lot.)

- That scene in Ep.3 where she makes kimchi stew and says, "Yes, this is the taste!" - that is apparently a parody of commercials Kim Hye-Ja used to be in for bouillon powder. She was in those ads for decades and everyone in Korea knows those ads (apparently).

I read through the character descriptions at the JTBC site and learned the following tidbits:

http://tv.jtbc.joins.com/cast/pr10010994

- Hyeon-Joo's father owns the Chinese restaurant and is also a Chinese immigrant, so he endured some prejudice as a result while she was growing up.

- Sang-Eun is signed with a scam entertainment agency, but she actually has a very good singing voice.

- Hye-Ja's father - I thought that perhaps he knew something about how Hye-Ja's sudden aging is related to his car accident, but the description says that he is suffering from a serious depression due to what happened.

• Like 5
  • Insightful 2
  • Thanks 1

Ooo @chickfactor bonus points to your for your sleuthing skills :o.  Those little tidbits add so much meaning to the show!  Well done Sherlock.  I love all the characters of this show.  They all add something to it, no-one is superfluous.  It has a real family feel.  I love how the show connects the young with the old.  It's revelationary in nature.  The drama doesn't seek to accuse or make one party feel guilty for being young or being old, it just reveals what it is like in a matter of factly way.  And it's in understanding and stepping into the shoes of another that you build harmony between generations.  The struggles they face, their reality Vs yours.  :)

Apparently Mr Law of the Jungle Kim ByungMan is making a cameo - and it's double thumbs up for this show that's for sure!

0003955075_001_20190220110209950.jpg?typ

https://m.entertain.naver.com/read?oid=109&aid=0003955075

• Like 6

watching each episodes this drama always  brought me between laugh and tears end up with overwhelming.

Dunno to justified but "He ja family "is the real dramatic community realism 

Mother who just know how to treat family well made each penny with her tears without complain , nagging and beating her adult kids who couldn't make a living out of love .

Father who know how to stay cool and embrace all the hard live within hisself,  supportive without even thinking to making hard to his kid's whom already stragglers in unsure path.they humble family who live just like it is. 

The clock and HJ destiny  left me in inquiry what will happen?

How to fix the watch and reclaim  her youngest day .must be there's some formula to untie the magic spells  right ?

Spoiler

Wonder why old pretty lady name KHJ always use her real name to most of all her character in film/drama.

But the truth is this lady acting is always in measures as "character.is her" thou

:heart:

• Like 6

Please, please pleeeaasse don't get me wrong. I do respect and like the actress playing herself Kim Hye Ja, Nam Joo Hyuk and the other actors in the drama and wish the drama the best  of rating but I was so hyped to watch this drama because of Han ji Min and they promoted it like she was going to be one of 3 main leads. But after reading the interview with her mentioning that she didn't have much scenes with NJH and watching the first eps, I feel like Han Ji Min's role was just a guest appearances with voice acting. I don't even see it as fantasy romance drama like they promoted it as. It's just a fantasy comedy drama w/some elements of romance but not full on fantasy romance drama. I will feel like a jerk if I drop this drama, but the thing is I was so hyped to see her in this drama but she is not really gonna be in it as much :(. I'm gonna watch the next weeks eps to see If HJM comes back if not, I'm just gonna wait for her next drama.

• Like 7
  • Insightful 1

Maybe for me i already know Ji Min is not the lead but still an important character.  Kim Hye Ja is able to manipulate time... so i think next episode is the 1st time she accidentally manipulate the time.  She will need "practice" to figure out how to do it.  So anxious to find out more.

• Like 5

Everyone has their own reasons for watching and has their own preferences - probably why I start a fair number of dramas but drop them. :lol: For me it's all about the story, the message it wants to convey and the actors/actresses (big or small roles) playing their part to deliver.  I just love this little drama with the messages peppered through so subtly and depicting family and community life with warmth and realism so I am staying to the end.  Voice acting is actually really hard.  Harder than real acting.  Ask the actors/actresses who do animations.  I think it's really clever for PD to use HJM's voice to capture HyeJa's thoughts but when she actually speaks to real people, it is the actress HyeJa's actual voice.  It tells us that she has the mind of a 25yo trapped in a 70yo body.  HJM said so herself, she got on board this project just to have the chance to act in tandem with Kim HyeJa (the actress).  She relished the opportunity to act with one of the greats (it was never about air time).  I am eagerly awaiting further episodes to air yet at the same time wistful because this drama is so short and it just means we are that much closer to the end :tears:.  LIYE fighting! :wub:

• Like 6
  • Love 1

Episode 5 - Preview Translation:

http://tv.jtbc.joins.com/trailer/pr10010994/pm10051122/vo10280251/view

[5회 예고] 김혜자한테 전해주세요, 다시는 보고 싶지 않습니다...

기자가 되어있어야 할 준하(남주혁)가 노인들을 상대로 약을 파는 곳에 있다는 사실을 알게 된 혜자(김혜자). 혜자는 준하가 잠입취재를 하고 있다고 생각하며 현실을 부정해보지만, 전혀 다른 모습으로 노인들에게 사기를 치는 준하의 모습에 실망하고 만다. 한편, 현주(김가은)는 영수(손호준) 때문에 구남친 앞에서 망신을 당하고, 평생 여자를 못 만날 것이라며 저주 섞인 악담을 퍼붓는다. 그러자 영수는 현주를 유혹해보겠다 선언하는데...

He should have been a reporter, but Hye-Ja finds out that Joon-Ha is "selling medicine" to the elderly people. Hye-Ja tries to convince herself that he is doing undercover reporting, but seeing him con the elderly disappoints her.

Hyeon-Joo is humiliated in front of her ex-boyfriend because of Yeong-Soo, and curses him that he will never date any women. In response, Yeong-Soo declares that he will seduce Hyeon-Joo.

--

Note: In Korea, "selling medicine" is an expression for "con-man," sort of like "snake-oil salesman."

If someone appears untrustworthy, they call that person a "medicine peddler."

So this senior center is some kind of scam, I guess. :(

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

Han ji min already mentioned that her role is not a big role so i already expected that i might not see her most of the time. Even with just voice over and limited scenes, i still enjoy the drama. I am expecting that next week, she might have more scenes as we are already halfway through the drama. It will be a waste if we will not see more of hjm and njh interactions. But this story definitely revolves with kim hye ja's character. So good that ji min accepted another drama and that is what i am also looking forward to:)

• Like 7

I started watching this yesterday and I swear the story is just perfect in my opinion of course. Also this character really suited NJH. How I wish I could have stumbled upon this when it's already completed but now I am waiting for the new episodes which is kinda hard because it's rare to find good kdramas nowadays and whether Kim Hye Ja will be able to return her time and hopefully have a happy ending.

• Like 7

Quoted from Ji Min:

It is a drama that really lets you think about the value of life and happiness. While you watch it, you will most likely find yourself quietly crying.”

Quoted from director:

through the drama, we would be comforted. I didn’t believe him at first. But now, I can really feel it. I bet every actor and staff member that participated in the drama feels the same way.”

@ilu2, you can see link below the reason why Ji Min chose this project.  Abstract of the interview in Dazed magazine.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1305190wpp/nam-joo-hyuk-and-han-ji-min-talk-about-the-comfort-they-received-through-radiant

• Like 4

Thanks for sharing the bit from the interview, @tok-soompi. It's a really nice drama. Different than I expected; it's got a weird mix of laugh out loud humor, and some really serious stuff about aging and poverty, too. Sometimes I watch dramas for the actors, but this time it's the story as a complete entity. Nice work between Kim Hye Ja and Han Ji Min; I really feel it's the same character. NJH is doing great, too. And I love the rest of the cast as well. 

• Like 6