[Drama 2019] The Light In Your Eyes, 눈이 부시게

0ly40

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First half hour was funny and light and I was waiting for it...then bam...the next half hour was just tearful and sad.  I gave up trying to match everything scene for scene and just tried to match up big moments and it was much better then.  Because that was how it all played out in HyeJa's slowing disintegrating mind.  Her memories of before were triggered by moments of the present and her mind merged them together in the best way it could.  But they saved the saddest moment for the last when she failed to recognize her daughter-in-law.  :bawling:  Alzheimer is like that.  There are moments of lucidity where she apologized to her daughter-in-law for not supporting her enough and telling her to just start life anew without her husband and son.  And then there will be moments where she no longer recognized her.  So HyeJa and JoonHa met at a Protest rally (I guess that was a tribute to the Pro Democracy movement mentioned earlier).  I get the feeling JoonHa and a few others were caught and then interrogated...hence the Preview where she asks one man and he said he was released and he thought they all were?  The detective that interrogated JoonHa may have been overly heavy handed?  Maybe JoonHa died in custody?  The detective pocketed the watch?  Which is why he was so startled when he saw JoonHa's lookalike Doctor at the Hospital?  And he's old now...he's still wearing the watch... Will HyeJa forgive him for taking away her JoonHa so long ago?  Time stopped for her then, her world fell apart.

Dazzling playlist to accompany us after the drama ends.

Haha. Or we can just re-watch. :D

About last night's episode, I have a part of me that thinks it was better in Kim Hye Ja's head, but then nothing beats the memories we actually share with the ones we hold dear.

Looking forward to its ending. ^^

Watched 1-9 series. This dorama of those who are getting better with each series.:thumbsup: The more you look, the more thoughts in your head sweep, the more you think about life and death. Very philosophical dorama. Such a long movie ...

It is very a pity in the 9 series grandmother Chanel. Such an unfair life. Her son ... I never understand such people. Well, that Joon Ha told him everything. But it's' too late :bawling:

And the series finale with tied up, battered Joon Ha ... Oh, I worry! What will be next?

1st half was so funny but the 2nd half is heart breaking again. I wonder what is in store for hye ja tonight. That mission to kiss was lol. Can't wait to watch the final episode. I hope they will hit double digit ratings tonight. Fighting:wub:

it ended beautifully and meaningfully. in the end, i also feel this drama was also dedicate for all the women in the world. another wonderful female center drama. what a dazzling drama! all actors show great performances. kudos to all the cast and crew. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

thank you for all soompiers that has shared your insight or opinion to this beautiful drama. it's gonna be memorable for a long time.

21 hours ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

darn.. so now HJM has kissed hyun bin, NJH, Park Hyung Shik, 

And she is about to kiss Jung Hae-In in her next drama/project, lol.

Anyways I haven't watched the last 2 eps yet, but I am glad I didn't drop this drama. I loved the twist and everything. I just wish they didn't make the synopsis sound like HJM is going to have a lot more scenes in the drama not just in 4 eps like a lead role in a fantasy romance drama. Maybe it was a marketing strategy to reach out to certain demograph? To me, it was a life drama with some melodrama elements to it not a fantasy for sure. 

I have just started watching this show from 1-5 but I didn't get it so skipped to 10-11. I still don't get it and here I am reading your posts. 

There was never a magic watch???  Please someone recap it. I have been watching the guest and a few like it. This is so different.

8 minutes ago, maribella said:

I have just started watching this show from 1-5 but I didn't get it so skipped to 10-11. I still don't get it and here I am reading your posts. 

There was never a magic watch???  Please someone recap it. I have been watching the guest and a few like it. This is so different.

It is just a drama you will have to watch from beginning to end or it will have no meaning to you.

1 hour ago, MsMinnieFran said:

It is just a drama you will have to watch from beginning to end or it will have no meaning to you.

I agree it's just a drama which is why I only want to know the gist of it. I thought it will be light and fluffy from the title.

No heavy stuff for me, I have problems reading Mdm Bovary.

5 hours ago, maribella said:

I agree it's just a drama which is why I only want to know the gist of it. I thought it will be light and fluffy from the title.

No heavy stuff for me, I have problems reading Mdm Bovary.

Errr if it’s light and fluffy you’re after then this drama is not for you.  It’s for people wanting deep and meaningful.  I believe the follow up drama in this slot next week may be more your cup of tea? Waikiki 2.  Slapstick funny. 

EDiT - To be confirmed, can't read Korean but looks like we finished on a high - well deserved :wub: - I see 9.7% (but it could be highest minute and not actual average for the night?)

https://m.entertain.naver.com/read?oid=241&aid=0002892435

• Guest changed the title to [Drama 2019] The Light In Your Eyes, 눈이 부시게

Excellent drama, beautiful ending with the highest rating:heart:

f1155b0997009e57.png

[Spoilers] The Light In Your Eyes (Finale) + Rating

0000967990_001_20190318225902660.jpg?fit
1-63.png?w=640&ssl=1
1-64.png?w=640&ssl=1

Naver – Xports News: ‘The Light In Your Eyes’ Kim Hye Ja’s dementia progresses…Remembering Han Jimin ♥ Nam Joo Hyuk memories

1.[+4275, -27] Forget about the content and development, I was really able to get immersed because of Actress Kim Hye Ja, her acting in this drama really impressed me and made me focused and immersed, It’s been a long time since I watched a drama that made me sad

2.[+3315, -54] This is above Sky Castle. Drama of the year.

3.[+2572, -39] For her mother-in-law who might be tired of the hospital food, she made her Kimchi and touched the chili powder even though her hands are full of wounds~…That was really heartbreaking ㅜㅜ This drama is no joke when it comes to touching someone’s heart

4.[+1889, -24] Anyone remembers the past and misses someone dearly but they can’t go back because they’re too old…As time goes on, they feel like they could have done better at that time

5.[+1643, -23] It’s sad ㅠ Time flies by, I get older every time I open my eyes in the morning, I will become a grandmother too someday

6.[+1098, -8] Ha this drama should have 40-50% as ratings ㅠ It’s different from makjang dramas where they are always fighting, screaming and having affairs…People who haven’t watched this, make sure to watch it, It will seriously become the drama of your life

7.[+652, -3] I was sad while watching it. I thought It titled “The Light In Your Eyes” because it’s about missing the young and dazzling days…looks like I was wrong. It’s about the moments where you remember your son, daughter-in-law, daughter that breaks your heart, those dazzling eyes are beautiful. Thank you

8.[+583, -6] I cried a lot because of the daughter Eun Sook ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ

9.[+573, -6] This drama is seriously perfect, It’s an eye dazzling drama

10.[+420, -5] Yoon Bok Hee really came out!!!

Spoiler

0000968535_001_20190320010502689.jpg?fit

1-65.png?w=640&ssl=1
1-66.png?w=640&ssl=1

Naver – Xports News: ‘The Light In Your Eyes’ Kim Hye Ja lives forever in Han Jimin♥Nam Joo Hyuk happy memories

1.[+6979, -35] At first, I didn’t understand why it was titled ‘The Light In Your Eyes’ and I thought it was just sad, today, the last 5 minutes have told me everything. It’s frustrating and sad because of the unclear future but I still feel like I lived an eye dazzling life

2.[+5098, -41] Why do I cry every time Hye Ja appears ㅜㅜ I will always remember this line, it’s a masterpiece “Don’t waste the present, regretting the past and worrying about the future. Live this day beautifully. You deserve it.”

3.[+3433, -27] I was crying so hard while watching it…Let’s be happy, me and you, we all have the right to live that way

4.[+2683, -39] The best drama…

5.[+2516, -26] My daughter is next to me ㅠㅠ she told me to live a long time, this is not a drama but a real life documentary, I enjoyed watching it, I will live a better life for the people around me ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ

6.[+1033, -7] The writer is really detailed. The person’s bed who just passed away, the blanket she used awhile ago, the water she was just drinking…she expressed that emptiness so well..ㅜㅜ

7.[+990, -6] “My life was blighted by misfortune at times, but there were also happy moments. They say that life is nothing but a mere dream, but I was still grateful for my life. The cold, brisk air at dawn, the sweet breeze right before flowers start to bloom, and the scent of sunset that fills the air at sundown. Every single day was dazzlingly beautiful. Even if you’re struggling right now, everyone alive has the right to enjoy all this every day. Even if one ordinary day is followed by another ordinary day, life is still worth living. Don’t waste the present, regretting the past and worrying about the future. Live this day beautifully. You deserve it.”

8.[+991, -8] I cried when Hye Ja swept the snow every time it snowed for her son and her son burst into tears when he realized his mother’s true heart…It’s a masterpiece…

9.[+986, -7] It started as a fantacy and ended as a humane drama…best work of the year…Thank you everyone for your hard work…

10.[+833, -6] This is the first time I watch a drama that is perfect from the beginning till the end ㅠ there are a lot of dramas that start well but feels empty when it end ㅜ It’s the first drama I watch that leaves a lingering imagery ㅠ

Ratings:
E15: 8.5%
E16: 9.7%

https://www.netizendrama.com/spoilers-the-light-in-your-eyes-finale-rating/

1 hour ago, nrllee said:

Errr if it’s light and fluffy you’re after then this drama is not for you.  It’s for people wanting deep and meaningful.  I believe the follow up drama in this slot next week may be more your cup of tea? Waikiki 2.  Slapstick funny. 

EDiT - To be confirmed, can't read Korean but looks like we finished on a high - well deserved :wub: - I see 9.7% (but it could be highest minute and not actual average for the night?)

https://m.entertain.naver.com/read?oid=241&aid=0002892435

Waikiki 2? Maybe I could start with waikiki 1. Thanks for the suggestion.

Just googled recaps of this show and watched ep 6, not busy at all now. There is so much written on time and how we use time, it seems that a lot of people are as clueless as I am.

After watching ep. 6,  it seems to be the type of light and fluffy show that I like. Young love, loyal friends, love loss add some nostalgia and there you have a typical KD.  The unusual  'twist' to the story is that it is a perception of a decaying mind which confuses the unaware.

I think I'll watch it a bit more, there seems to be a happy ending of some sort? Oh yes , I like that.

But if the brother was a figment of her imagination, how could she conjure scenes that her brother had with her good friend?  Oh well,  a healthy dose of accepting unreality is sometimes neccessary to enjoy KDs.

Too bad everyone, it is over and I shan't have people to chat with, but thank you for earlier postings that help me with this show.

i know this may sound stupid but I'm really at lost here. Just to confirm, the younger version of the grandma in the 21st century  never exist right? i wonder why the cripple father and his son doesn't get along, am i missing something? 

Sorry, this drama really confused my brain. Lol 

O that was so beautiful... Bravo.   I loved how they had ending credits with celebrations with staff and cast.  And HyeJa's parting words to everyone...life is worth living no matter how hard it is. :wub:

@Boba. No she didn't exist... She existed in the mind of HyeJa the old grandmother as Alzheimer's merged her past life with her present reality.  As for why the cripple dad never connected with his son.  Truth was he always felt alone growing up.  He felt abandoned by his mom (young HyeJa) who was giving him tough love - trying to get him to stand up for himself.  So he never really had meaningful connections with the people around him eg his mother, his wife and his son.  It was only at the epiphanous moment when it dawned on him that his mother did love him (she was the one who would sweep the path of snow so he wouldn't fall down going to school) that he finally opened his heart to let others in and loved in return...hence he reconnected with his wife in the end and it sounds like he would make that effort with his son too (at his wife's bidding). :)

I have been trying to find the link to Chanel and her son in the last 2 episodes.  The only one that comes close would be the bag lady (Chanel??) - the old lady who hoards/pockets everything.  Her daughter doesn't seem to visit even though she dearly wanted her to...and she only got visits from her good for nothing sons... I guess that's where HyeJa's mind linked it all, good for nothing sons, missing daughter who never visited...who I guess subsequently died of uterine cancer?  The other major players in the first 10 episodes I could sift out in the mix... Although the old guy who kept hitting on her is a mature age student :lol:?

i blamed the mother for giving tough love to the son. She should have at least show care and concern to her son, rather doing it the harder route. It causes the son to have low self-confidence, doesn’t feel that he should deserve love, and it drifted his family apart. His son wouldn’t even want to visit him and his wife! 

I get it that her husband died young, but she should have been more of a compassionate mom to her son! After all these years, her son grew up thinking that no one loves him!

Had she raise him in a loving environment by positive reinforcement, he would have self confidence and possible made some few friends along the way. Then possible have a happy marriage with his poor wife who truly love her husband and better father and son relationship. 

Rather than want until she old and about to die to find out that his mom would scoop all the snow away so he doesn't fall. 

I'm sorry but I truly hate tough love! It causes so much misunderstanding when it could have been avoided.  

Archived