[Thai BL Series 2018-2020] My Engineer มีช็อป มีเกียร์ มีเมียรึยังวะ

WeLoveSoompi

With little better to do I have just watched the last few episodes again :)

The more I think about it the more I like the series on a number of levels.

Bohn started by messing with Duen but by the time he was smelling the bunch of roses in his room he was smitten. (I've just realised that Duen and Bohn have exactly the same conversation with the shopkeeper when trying to find the flower seller).

After that I get the impression he knows he is fooling only himself. Every look he gives Duen tells a story. When he tells Duen that he is cute, Duen smiles and although he comes back with "who you calling cute ?" he doesn't go any further. He starts by being annoyed by Bohn's  attentions but as he says to his friends, Bohn's never harmed him.

For once we have two main characters who are open to the idea of going out with each other. No angst, they just go with the flow. Duen never strikes me as being against the idea of going out with a man, he merely plays hard to get. Bohn has a long list of lame excuses as to why he just did or said something cute.

Apart from the lizard scene which brought Bohn and Duen together we haven't had the traditional trip over him scene or accidental kiss. And at least Duen punched Bohn!

We don't have an annoying female (so far anyway) Ting is just fun.

The side couples are opposites. King and Ram slowly coming together without any soul searching. Mek and Boss are shall I say the problem couple. I am hoping that Boss gets the girl. I am not a fan of characters having that 'theory of love' moment when after a lifetime of chasing girls they 'suddenly' realise...

There is also no hostility from the respective camps. They are all merely protective of their man. Bohn has to pass the tests to prove himself worthy not to stop Duen going out with a man. King's sister is totally OTT and I think that Ram's brother is okay with the idea of his brother seeing King.

I am not fussed on the wife/husband thing but even that norm is being disputed.

The tension has been on whether or not Bohn can contain his jealousy and temper. Ordinary things as opposed to concocted problems.

All together then for me it has been a light hearted and really positive series.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/27/2020 at 3:39 PM, dustinmyeye said:

I haven't quite worked out what it is about Cooper but I could watch his face for hours :). At first I thought it was his eyes, then it was his eyebrows. His entire face just gives off mischievous pixie.

What an exceptionnal attitude for me! So, i can conceive any particular face's part can have an attractive power, but eyesbrows! The main point i noticed into all series i have seen is the Perth eyesbrows into LBC, which are unequal in size! Another point are his ear lobe, but i just saw another actor have similar "design". Nothing with this point? :lol:

(not yet watch last ep)

On 5/3/2020 at 6:32 PM, gogole mongol said:

What an exceptionnal attitude for me! So, i can conceive any particular face's part can have an attractive power, but eyesbrows! The main point i noticed into all series i have seen is the Perth eyesbrows into LBC, which are unequal in size! Another point are his ear lobe, but i just saw another actor have similar "design". Nothing with this point? :lol:

(not yet watch last ep)

Watched Episode 10 a couple of times. Aye, it's his eyebrows. They are independent. I envy people that can do that it adds so much expressiveness to the face. When he is in the car with Duen after the 'injection/needle episode, they are communicating all sorts of things - most of it mischievous. I can understand why Duen says "You know I can't resist your eyes" and then does :)

Episode 10 then.

After the fuss of status in the previous episode we discover that Bohn and Duen agree to forget about it and just go back to their normal selves. Bohn should have said that if Duen was going to have sex with him he could at least have waited until he was awake enough to enjoy it (or not as the case may be).

There is some clever work going on here. In Bohn's room Duen does not take advantage of a drunk Bohn and kiss him - at the very least, for a Thai series. At the end of the episode Bohn doesn't kiss Duen when he has the advantage.

For all his suggestive remarks and Duen's fears of bondage and torture  I think that Bohn might prove to be far more considerate than either would expect.

Tee is such an idiot with his explosive lip reading and all said so totally matter of fact. I don't think he realised for a second as to just what he was implying or putting into Bohn's imagination.

There is always so much arm pulling and dragging people off in Thai series. I wonder if it happens in real life ? I sort of accept that Ram does it to King because he rarely speaks and it usually turns out to be for something good. Bohn ? Pure jealousy boiling over. I would suggest that Bohn falling for Duen is a real life changer. He therefore, feels endangered if Duen 'flirts' with another guy. That said, we have already had one possessive attack because a woman was flirting with Duen. So yes, although he says he is jealous there's a big dollop of possessiveness in there as well.

I felt the kiss and bite in the car were a bit out of place but it brought out something else that the series is doing quite well.

"We are already together, why is there no trust ?" says Duen as he lays down the law to Bohn. Duen may come across as the softie but he does stand his ground and will do so again before the end of the scene when, after all Bohn's best attempts to do puppy eyes fail, he tells Bohn , "after the exam".

The scene with Ram's family made me laugh. I was stunned by his English accent (dubbed ? No he's half Aussie and yes, now I know that, I can hear it). The mother though :) I am not sure what nationality she is supposed to be but she talks in BL Subtitle ! Her English is awful to the point where I am surprised that Perth (Ram) didn't say something on set.

You can see why Boss can't see what Mek thinks of him by his constant thickness. The Morse codes for a written test, does he never keep up with what's going on ?

At King's house you'll notice that once again Duen doesn't really ask Bohn to help, he orders him to do so and Bohn promptly leaps up and does so : an obedient boyfriend indeed. It highlights again that 'status' is silly. They are equals.

King uses the flowers and blossoming to good effect on Ram and I like the fact that he is prepared to wait for Ram to open up in turn and doesn't press him to say more when Ram does decide to speak.

Kumfah is as blunt as they come. I think I might have been more inclined to tell her where to get off on some of her questions but at least the others have the decency to look scandalised.

Has a dramatic moment ever been cut before with the announcement that "Ting is about to throw up" ?

And we come full circle with Bohn choosing NOT to kiss Duen.

7 hours ago, dustinmyeye said:

I felt the kiss and bite in the car were a bit out of place

All the scene from the moment he grabs him and force him to leave his friend was out of the place ...

I hate jealousy when it is to this level! In fact I hate jealousy & possessiveness!

But then there is this ...

"We are already together, why is there no trust ?"

That so important.

They are finally learning to communicate in this episode.

I was stunned by his English accent (dubbed ? No he's half Aussie and yes, now I know that, I can hear it). The mother though :) I am not sure what nationality she is supposed to be but she talks in BL Subtitle ! Her English is awful to the point where I am surprised that Perth (Ram) didn't say something on set.

I already heard him speak English so I knew, he also speaks Japanese!

For the mom, same reaction, it reminds me an episode of TharnType when Type goes back home to his dad's ressort and a foreigner talks in english. Type's dad's english was better!

And we come full circle with Bohn choosing NOT to kiss Duen.

Oh I didn't even get that! True!

13 hours ago, mellialuna said:

I hate jealousy when it is to this level! In fact I hate jealousy & possessiveness!

But then there is this ...

They are finally learning to communicate in this episode.

I tend to leave a couple of weeks between watching as it allows me to pace myself better. I then go back and like a good book you pick up again, go back a few episodes/chapters to get the flow of the story.

In doing so with this series I have noticed a lot of things on second/third viewing.

Here is one : Duen's father is some sort of general and we haven't even heard of Bohn's family. Neither character is talking about : "what will my parents think ? We can't tell my friends for the moment".

Both sets of friends are totally supportive, even the kiddies. The only conflicts and difficulties are provided by the characters themselves. He was a bit shy about stating it at the barbecue but Bohn came straight out : this is Duen, my boyfriend. He'd already explained at the cinema that he was afraid of embarrassing Duen which in turn led to : NOT OK !

On reflecting about that I have also realised that Duen's friends make him go through the challenges in order to win the hand of their friend. It's a bit like the fairy tale king : "whomever defeats the dragon" ; only in this instance the prince actually wants to marry the victor :).

The only sad character is Mek (and I mean that emotionally, not that he is a fool). He is the traditional BL hero, longing for a relationship but too frightened to go for it for fear of of losing a friend. Even he, has had the pep talk from Tee, so once more he has been given encouragement by a friend. Nobody (caveat, so far) has turned their back on a friend.

I think that this is a funny, positive and light hearted story that is, on reflection, very well written and has not shied away from some usually ignored subjects.

2 hours ago, dustinmyeye said:

The only conflicts and difficulties are provided by the characters themselves.

Yeah & no! Friends are stupidly bringing bad thoughts in character's head! Like a trigger.

We sure don't know much about parents, and we are not in the stage of coming out to parents yet I think! The only CP are together since 2 ep*. And the others one are still far from this stage, unaware of other's feelings or start to feel something from his own ...

But that's true, the fact the friends are supportive, even if they can act stupidly, help to focus on their own stories, feelings!

* and yet they don't hiding anything :

the little brother and sister know!

Duen-Bohn state their status as soon as ask by King's sister.

On 5/9/2020 at 1:42 PM, mellialuna said:

Yeah & no! Friends are stupidly bringing bad thoughts in character's head! Like a trigger.

We sure don't know much about parents, and we are not in the stage of coming out to parents yet I think! The only CP are together since 2 ep*. And the others one are still far from this stage, unaware of other's feelings or start to feel something from his own ...

But that's true, the fact the friends are supportive, even if they can act stupidly, help to focus on their own stories, feelings!

* and yet they don't hiding anything :

the little brother and sister know!

Duen-Bohn state their status as soon as ask by King's sister.

Yes the friends are at times daft but their nonsense is used in part for entertainment (whilst Tee was going on about big needles and injections you just knew that Bohn was going to blow a fuse) but also to make fun of the genre. The entire wife/husband thing was blown up out of all proportion so that the two characters could come to realise that playing a part wasn't enjoyable. Being together was enjoyable and as Bohn says : put the status issue aside. You don't need to have a silly status to have a decent relationship. I think this is the first time in one of these series that I have seen that said out loud. Bohn was clear : He is my boyfriend. (Compare 2Moons2 with lots of 'wifey' stuff going on).

Boss and Mek are labelled, but that is out of fun and teasing ; nobody believes it is true (Apart from Tee being in the know and he has been respectful of Mek's decision to say nothing).

What I meant about the parents was the fact that neither Bohn or Duen are panicking, and their families must be at least aware that they are friends as they come and go to each others houses. I was a bit surprised that Duen left Bohn off to his aunt's house and that Ben was up but not the aunt. I can't believe that Ben lives alone !

The families are not seen as a possible hindrance to the point of, so far, being ignored.

8 hours ago, dustinmyeye said:

What I meant about the parents was the fact that neither Bohn or Duen are panicking, and their families must be at least aware that they are friends as they come and go to each others houses. I was a bit surprised that Duen left Bohn off to his aunt's house and that Ben was up but not the aunt. I can't believe that Ben lives alone !

The families are not seen as a possible hindrance to the point of, so far, being ignored.

According to what I understand

Bohn lives alone, and sometimes take care of his nephew, who lives with his mom.

The bedrooms are different when he is at his aunt (the scene when he was drunk)!

Parents kinda disappear. When Duen's sister almost drown, the mom wasn't here at hospital or at home, it was kinda weird!

So yes so far they don't care about the approval or just telling them!

Archived