Quantcast
Go Seung Ji

[Drama 2018-2019] Bok-Soo's Back / My Strange Hero, 복수가 돌아왔다

3 hours ago, Yenung Joa said:

Thanks for loving the previous Recaps guys :love:

Here is the recap of episode 4 (7&8): https://www.asiandrama4u.com/my-strange-hero-episode-4-recap/

Hope you guys enjoy this one as well.

Thanks for your recap, which I enjoyed reading. And thanks so much for posting the link to HCY's OST in your recap :)

For a bit of fun,  for those who enjoyed OST 3 ...

Explanation:

Spoiler

The melody of"Do You Hear Me"  is co-written by Han Gil who wrote HCY's song last year "A Daily Song".  HCY's fans have noticed that there are scenes from ADS MV that are similar to scenes in My Strange Hero. Hence the mash-up :)

Off to watch Ep 4 with subs ...

• Like 6

Part 1 : SJ

( will post part 2 : SH later) 

I waited for SJ's reasons and tried to not jump on the hate ship. I'm very disappointed that the writer used the arrived-too-late and having-trust-issues trope to explain why SJ betrayed BS. Her character is very unlikeable and the plot has some big holes already :

For someone as smart as SJ (she used to be the no 1 student ), it doesn't  make sense that she is very gullible and believes a stranger rather than her boyfriend/crush. It doesn't make sense that she stayed silent for nine years and didn't ask BS herself if he really exposed her for being a poor girl. Then, what was the point of making her a smart student ? We've only seen until now her making poor choices over and over... unworthy for a former smart student like her.

As the story unfolds and the backstory of the suicide attempt gets revealed, the misunderstanding densifies. So, I guess the writer intends to drag the misunderstanding arc for a few more episodes when it can be quickly resolved if the characters WANT to communicate. 

Let's go back to SJ's testimony and the events that preceded it. She let students to believe that she was a rich girl and getting private tutors. She didn't lie for sure but she found those rumours convenient for her as they helped her to keep a fake image. She didn't want other students to find out she was living in slums, good at cursing and had a gangster behaviour. The  past image that BS has of her is exactly what she wanted to appear to be. However, as BS said fakes don't last long and it was matter of time that her classmates would have found out her secrets.  What I really dont understand and doesn't make sense is how a personal matter and her trust issues with BS clouded her judgement when she had to testify. The life of a boy was a stake, BS's life got ruined. Her pride got hurt when she got mocked for being a poor girl, her feelings towards BS at that moment had an impact on her testimony. This is another plothole,  if she was the smart student that the drama showed us ,she would have put aside her feelings towards BS and gave the benefit of doubt to BS. Instead she didn't believe him and didn't trust him. Moreover, the suicide attempt didn't concern her, it was between BS and SH. She was mere witness of the crime scene and didn't take part in. She said that she testified on what she heard aka SH's scream. We haven't seen her testimony yet and don't exactly what she said. Somehow the conclusion of it is that it corroborates what SH said.  This adds another inconsistency, a smart student like her would have put 2 and 2 together and realized that SH asked for help and BS failed to hold onto him. If BS had really pushed SH, SH would have screamed let me go or spare my life instead. 

I know this is all  set up by the writer to give a redemption arc to the heroine but Im going to find a hard time to root for her as a BS's lover. Her decisions ruined his life, he lost 9 years of his life and lived miserably.  We know she is going to save BS and prevent him being expelled, the last scene ended with flashbacks of him saying a fake doesn't last long and telling her how she could bribe in order to be a full-time teacher. So I suppose she is going to reveal that she got promoted thanks to him and it was him who saved Oh Young Min and her. Nevertheless,  this one good decision won't turn the time machine back and give those 9 lost years to him. 

• Like 7

@Berou I am actually excited to see how their romance starts again because its bleak right now lol. I wonder how all 3 actually live their lives until this point.

The thing is BS seems more hurt then angry with them I dont think his heart is into the revenge too much :(

• Like 7

BTS photos 

ee21545200236772-600.jpg

uft1545199977993-600.jpg

Zds1545199990926-600.jpg

Spoiler

RAO1545199999902-600.jpg

f6v1545199034861-600.jpg

cN61545198619494-600.jpg

CSg1545197244108-600.jpg

BY61545123453818-600.jpg

IO11545123350018-600.jpg

c561545123358442-600.jpg

cuy1545123285253-600.jpg

ouP1545122604405-600.jpg

rWq1545122615107-600.jpg

@dramaninja I'm disappointed with the plot development. The drama started strong and the writer had to pull in these inconsistencies  :(. What's up with dramas nowadays to write unlikeable female characters ? The thing with BS is he went in the lion's den blindly, without any plan or ploy. It is as if he decided to go back to school on a whim. He knows he is going to be surrounded by hyenas, shouldn't he have something in mind beforehand at least ? You're right, his heart is more into solving the misunderstanding than getting revenge. 

• Like 8

About the plot hole, let me give my two cents about it.

SSJ character as based on my observation in these 4 episodes, I think it’s not that SSJ can’t analyze which one she should trust, the new comer or her crush/boyfriend, she just doesn’t want to analyze like what she said to KBS “S Crystal said this : there are many variables in rules, just memorize them” it show that she is someone that doesn’t want to analyze the proses but only want to find how to end it, how to end the matter, how to end her problem. Based on this, I conclude all the reckless decision she made because she doesn’t want to analyze it, she doesn’t want to analyze how many variable in every problem she has, she just want to end it with the easiest way.  SSJ make it as her life principal that’s why most of the time she can’t understand others, this is her easiest way to show her fakeness, like @nrllee said she built her ‘door’ in her mind, only show the side which she believe what others want to see. That’s why KBS trying to warn her that living in fake life will be exhausting. SSJ want to be a teacher that help student to find their dream, but she can’t because she’s been locking in her ‘prison’ only show what others want to see.

• Like 8

I think the problem is so far her reason are really small and quite petty.

I think that other guy really poison her ear with nonsense we dont know about yet.

• Like 6

I can't remember who mentioned it but OSH is completely the sort of person who would stalk KBS in high school (he longed to be like him, he was fixated) so it is highly likely that he would've overheard the conversation between SJ and BS at the rich person's front gate and also at her own house's front gate.  Have her parents passed on?  It looks like she's living with her Grandmother?  If that's the case, her survival instincts are a lot more honed than the likes of OSH or KBS.  She has no-one to really fall back on should she fail.  The stakes are a lot higher for her. She just wants to make it in life by keeping her head down, studying hard and taking the most direct road possible with nothing thrown into that path to distract her from it.

I think as @dvrels alluded to, SJ takes the path of least resistance, she doesn't want to create any waves.  She chooses not to tell others about her real life status because it was convenient to just let them believe what they wanted.  She convinced herself that 'she wasn't lying', she was merely letting them live in their own delusion.  Same with her testimony against BS.  She was merely 'stating the facts', she told them the bit she heard only.  Whilst she was smart, she didn't have the moral courage to face opposition for taking a stand.  Lots of people are like this.  It explains why so many turn a blind eye to injustice (too much trouble to enact change) or just stand by to watch (all those spectators by the riverside) 2 people floundering in the river (MY and SJ) instead of jumping in to help (BS).  Yes that doesn't really endear her to us because we cannot believe she would be so shallow.  But there is room for change.  Just as there is room for forgiveness in the case of OSH.

@Berou yes, plot development is much to be desired.  But the characters have enough there for me to continue.  BS does tend to act on a whim though.  He follows his moral compass.  He doesn't think too far ahead.  Hence he jumps into the river to save the 2 people drowning, he breaks the glass door without even trying to talk MY out of it first.  He makes things up as he goes along.  His walking back into school to settle a score before even hatching a plan is staying in character.

Has BS's life really been ruined though?  Externally it would appear so.  His Mother begging the other school Principals to let him back into school was heart breaking to watch.  9 years in exile from the system who locked him out only to have it embrace him back again because of his 'heroic' act (and even then, it was all a fake media show, it was not well intentioned at all :mellow:) is ironic at best.  Internally though, the exile has forged his character.  His relationship with his Mom was strengthened in the process.  Hardships do that to you.  It makes or breaks you.  Is BS bitter?  Probably.  He wouldn't be human if he weren't at least a little miffed by the injustice of it all.  Inwardly though, of the 3 of them, he is probably the most well adjusted.  KBS may have paid for the injustice outwardly, but the other 2 have paid for it inwardly.

• Like 8

Yes he had to have struggle with that type of mark on his life, he also wasnt able to finish school as well. Also I am sure he was not able to get a good job that he wanted for these reasons.

• Like 6

To me, his life was pretty much destroyed. He couldn't transfer to another school, every school rejected him because the rumour spread. His plans for the future were stopped. He is a victim of social stigma that made him living in exile.  This very same social stigma forced him to have an uncommun job and be a subsitute man for others. Does he like his job ? Probably not, any man won't find it acceptable to be humiliated daily for trying to make a living. He might have adjusted to his exile but he is the most affected by the incident. Thus, he deserves to get revenge. The others two more or less achieved their goals in life, one became the chairman and the other a teacher. Finally, he deserves to get his name cleared so that he can live like other human beings and have a decent job. 

I find SJ character even more unlikeable then if her motto is : there are many variables in rules, just memorize them. First, it shows she doesn't study smartly, only memorizes rules without trying to understand them. Second, she is selfish as she takes the path of the least resistance, takes the most direct route without nothing getting in her way. Indeed, the stakes for her are higher since she lives alone with her grandmother. But that doesn't excuse for destroying a boy's life. She wasn't coerced or blackmailed when she had to testify. Therefore, her student status was not endangered. She knew BS was about to be expelled and she could save him if she testified correctly. On the contrary, she took the shortcut because she thought BS was getting in her way.

• Like 9

SJ and SH should be thankful.

Because, BS stayed the same nice young man, the way

he was 9 year ago.

He doesnt want to do anything bad.

• Like 7

I hope she redeem herself in alot of ways because I really like the glimpse of their romance and that fact she did trust him alot but somehow all that got twisted.

• Like 6

Sojung is just smart in school.. not in emotional. It will be easier for her to be a good teacher if she is Jo Bo Ah, a caring and empathic person 

OST Part. 04 today, by Stella Jang

• Like 9

I just noticed, KBS is so attached to quotes for some reason, he even took particular attention and memorized them when he attempted to study. :lol:

• Like 5
  • LOL 2

Hoping that SJ's character will be redeemed soon ...because I kinda still like her, despite what she has done.

Who on earth is S Crystal?? I have heard only of Billy Crystal ...

• Like 4

5 hours ago, cynkdf said:

Hoping that SJ's character will be redeemed soon ...because I kinda still like her, despite what she has done.

Who on earth is S Crystal?? I have heard only of Billy Crystal ...

S Crystal is SJ. Soojung means in korean crystal. Her family name is Son, hence S. Crystal 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

4 hours ago, Berou said:

S Crystal is SJ. Soojung means in korean crystal. Her family name is Son, hence S. Crystal 

Thanks so much for the explanation. Very nice OST by Stella Jang, thanks for posting the link.

Edited by Berou
Please do not quote videos. Thanks :)
  • Like 3

I feel like I'm watching school series, well it is. I love the episodes. I hope Bok Su can make it this time, getting his diploma and tear down that discrimination system. It's nice how they flesh out the past little by little in a good sequences. Life is unpredictable. The last rank student could be the class president. The class president is the teacher and the depression student is the school chairman. I have sense that these three will bond together somehow to fight the traditional norm that suffocated the students all these years.

And the things that I like about MSH. They picture how rookie teacher SSJ will start from the bottom, she'll learn how to be a real teacher. And Bok Su,  he might seem trouble maker but he's the most decent yet quite wise in his own way. Something that SH didn't realize or he actually did. I want to see what's SH up to. Will he act that way just to free himself from his mom or he sincerely want to make changes as he claims. I like how the story really focusing on school, student's problems, teacher's struggle and school politics as usual. And I was wondering how could they keep the other characters, BS's friends, while they're not going to study there. Good excuse! Haha.. that crush noona will be the cafeteria lady. Lol. This will be their reunion. Then how could they bring back BS's bestfriend? It would be sad if he was not around. 

• Like 7