[Drama 2018-2019] Bok-Soo's Back / My Strange Hero, 복수가 돌아왔다

Go Seung Ji

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Holidays make me run around and work too much. Haven't had time to participate here. But i have watched the episodes although am still behind.

Will be giving analysis once holidays are over. 

@kaoriharang @Berou

Chingus, we shall chat some more after the busy holidays ;)

Merry Christmas to everyone! 

@cynkdf I have to agree with you that I have to thank the person that recommended this show to me. So far I haven’t been disappointed by it and at the same time I find it extremely hilarious at times as well. Especially the scenes where he may get mistaken for pulling a Hong Kill Dong (the series) ie he forgets about his pride and is ready to become the class shuttle just to protect his nephew from suffering from all the humiliation that he was going through. While others just mistook him for being plain weird.

Now on to the episodes itself.

Spoiler

@Berou thanks for taking time off and explaining some of the points that were brought up by me. In regards to Seho being a Psychopath I might agree with that assessment to an extent. For instance, I do agree with you that his smile is certainly creepy at times. His agenda is still just as mysterious. But other than that I want to bring up some of the points that you brought up. He claimed that Boksu was his friend. From what we have seen he might have felt that way. So it was more of a one-way street friendship where he thought that he and Boksu were friends while Boksu may not have considered him as one and just thought of him as a fellow classmate. But I don’t think that was totally the case. He was brought to Boksu’s family’s restaurant. I don’t think that is something Boksu would be doing for everyone just people that he considered friends. (while that can’t be fully confirmed by me at this point we do know that Seo Jung was the first female that he brought along not even the girl that has a crush on him so one might assume that might be the same case for male friends as well)

As for my point of him manipulating people by telling that what they want to hear or not hear may be something along the lines of another drama character. Not sure if you have seen the drama Cinderella’s Step Sister (not sure if step was in the name). Over here the main lead used a similar tactic on both her mother and stepsister. For instance, she told her mother to be nice to the stepsister because they needed her on their side if they didn’t want to be kicked out or something to that extent (been ages since I actually watched it so the details are a bit hazy for me now). She also told her sister that she was pretty something she knew that her sister wanted to hear from her (being acknowledged or approved of) just so that she could get what she wanted from her (though she was genuine in the later while for the former her intent was more to get her mother to behave so she spoke to her in a language she would understand)

The restaurant scene can be explained of as someone else mentioned the scene could have easily been staged for the benefit for Boksu. One has to remember that Seho probably did know that Boksu was also present over there as well. His driver/assistant did mention that Boksu was on the move again and Seho then told him that it was unnecessary to keep tabs on him anymore. This would lead one to believe that he atleast was probably aware of Boksu being presnt at the restaurant as well thus he could have controlled the flow of the conversation the way that he liked and thus manipulated it to his favour knowing that Boksu would do exactly what he intended. Ie he was confident that his actions would be sufficient for Boksu to return even if that was for the sake of revenge otherwise why tell his lacky to quit observing Boksu. Now why was Boksu at the restaurant would be a good question. Did Boksu think that he was following Seho and that Seho wasn’t aware of this fact (ie Boksu deliberately arranged for the breakup with the fake girlfriend be held at that place while following him) or did Seho choose that location knowing that Boksu was present there. Either way it doesn’t matter since Seho comes out as the winner.

But here is another speculation on my part which if true proves just how manipulative Seho can truly be. Alone they may not be much but if taken together things turn out to be interesting. For starters remember the teacher that conned Seo Jung. When Seo Jung asked for him to return the money back to her gave her an interesting response. He told her that he doesn’t have the money anymore as it was transferred or was the debt transferred. Either way this is interesting because one might initially think that the person that could have taken the money would be Boksu. He might claim them as service charges and as the teacher never clarified this may very well be the case but somehow I have my doubts that Boksu would keep the money without hinting to someone about this. He knows just how much that money means to Seo Jung so he would have either returned it to her by now or atleast let her know that he has it. She may end up trying to convince him to return it or tell him that she will do anything just let her have it back. But since this hasn’t happened I have my doubts that it is even in his possession. This means that another player is involved. I wonder who that could be. But let’s leave that for the time being and go to another point.

At the restaurant Seho indicated to Seo Jung that he was aware that she had been conned by said teacher and that he was willing to overlook the matter and still make her a permanent teacher if she managed to convince Boksu to return to school. Now this is interesting because one has to ask how did Seho even know about this. It wasn’t like she was advertising what happened to her to anybody. A likely answer could be that since he was having Boksu followed he noticed him apprehending that teacher and confronted him later on to find out what was the case (even indirectly through his lackey) and thus use this as leverage to get Seo Jung to do what he needed to do. But what if he was the real mastermind and he deliberately asked the teacher to do this. Meaning the person that the money that was handed over to was none other than himself.

Now one can ask was all this simply to force Boksu to return to school for his diabolical plan. I think not. People are nothing but creatures of habit and it seems that Seho probably is the same. From what we can tell of him regarding the flashbacks are the following. He probably had some sort of inferiority complex to an extent. But other than that he also has feelings for Seo Jung and wanted her to feel the same way. Unfortunately for him she only had eyes for one-person aka Boksu. He simply couldn’t understand what she saw in him when he himself was far more compatible than Boksu was. Aka he was better than him in studies like her (can’t think of more points at the moment). So what does he think of doing simply cause misunderstandings between them.

He claimed that Boksu told everyone that she wasn’t rich at all and was extremely poor etc.. he even told her that he knew said stuff because he was even aware that Boksu even painted her gate. He could have only known this fact by two methods. Firstly, it was exactly as it appeared and Boksu told everyone this or he had observed said fact himself aka stalking classes were probably taken to ensure this happened. Making Boksu the bad guy then. But what about now is he any different? No chance if he still carries a torch for her or thinks that he can best Boksu by taking her away. How does he manage to do that then is by making himself look cool (or thinks that he is doing so)? By not only offering her a permanent post in the school but also overlooking the fact that she tried to use wrong methods to get said position he makes it so that she feels indebted towards him and to thank him he will further try to take advantage of this. This naturally works as long as she doesn’t discover that he was the person in the first place that took her money. Perhaps he was the one that was also holding back her getting the spot as well but I am unsure just how much power and influence he had back then before returning to the school.

Didn’t he say in the preview for today’s episode why is she still into Boksu who doesn’t have anything going for him now or something to that extent. Meaning why doesn’t Seo Jung give him a chance since now he is not only rich but also successful in other ways as well and has power all the things that Boksu is currently lacking.

Now on to other matters. I also wanted to thankyou for clarifying the matter about the post. I was confused about it because it seemed like the student sitting behind the kid that posted it seemed to be aware that it was him that had posted it so I simply assumed that the rest of the teachers were also aware of said fact as well.

We then come to the scene when Boksu was at the disciplinary committee and his sister decides to show up as his guardian. The scene was funny to an extent but I am curious just what motivated her to do that. We can probably assume that she was there in the first place because her son probably informed her what Boksu was going to go through and as family she decided to be there so that her mother doesn’t find out and all. Makes total sense to an extent. But what I find weird in regards to this is the following. The sister doesn’t want her son being related to Boksu has that could affect him negatively (she has been under the assumption that he is in the top of the class and a good student and is also unaware that he is being bullied on) so her appearance at this point is unsual because this would eventually lead people to figure out the connection between Boksu and her son. Someone might mention that his mother was there but she claimed that she was Boksu’s sister. Again this would probably mean that someone even knows who is who in dramas. Normally I would let it slide but not in this case because if his sister is like any other drama mother who wants what is best for her son she would have probably tried to get him into one of those coaching classes that other top students are in or something to that extent that would mean that she should have atleast met some of the other mothers but so far there doesn’t seem to be any kind of indication in regards to this which I find strange.

Though Seho turning out to be a psychopath shouldn’t be totally surprising considering his mother is one as well. Putting undue stress on her son at an even young age. Not only that but she also tried to kill him. Okay that is not entirely true or is it. She had sea food prepared for him and when he didn’t eat it instantly she made him feel like he was a picky eater. There is no way a mother can forget something this important regarding their child. For instance, we discovered that my younger brother is fatally allergic to Kiwis over here. At this point we take extra care that we don’t get them when he is here or food that may have them. I especially make sure if I purchase juices I don’t get a Kiwi Juice even though I like them at times just in case he doesn’t accidently have them. Yet his mother had said food made. This shows that she either didn’t care what happened to him. Whether he died or not or that she simply wasn’t bothered to know what things affected her son or care about him. Either way they point her in a negative light and as not only a terrible person but also a terrible parent as well.

Come to think of it perhaps Seho is out for his own revenge as well from his mother as well but since he doesn’t want to get his hands dirty he is using Boksu to do what he wants. What can be the perfect revenge on his mother is quite simple. It seems that the mother cares about her image and she also seemed to focus everything on her school even mistreating her son as she felt that was more important than him. So in other words her loosing that would be the biggest blow for her. To an extent that has already happened when he made her step down but it still isn’t over. This is because the mother still thinks that she still has some sort of power and control. The reason why she wanted to expel Boksu again. To prevent that he needs her fully gone and crumble her empire. Perhaps even totally remake it in the opposite direction. He did tell Boksu to wait and watch how he would make things different. He probably is going it in either the wrong way or the right way.

Meaning that he probably knows that any kind of change takes time and that he can’t simply start out things by implementing them not without facing numerous obstacles such as he will face serious opposition from the parents atleast who have gotten used to their kids getting privileged treatment and what not. Teacher may be the same or not. So he is playing the long game here. He gets Boksu to join the school because he knows that Boksu will end up doing the right things for all the wrong reasons. For instance, he knows that Boksu can’t help himself when it comes to facing injustice ie his comment that Boksu still hasn’t changed when it comes to meddling in other people’s business. This means that Boksu is going to still be Boksu at the end of the day such as when he ended up breaking the glass for that one student that was all stressed out and all. The only real problem that he currently has is to control Boksu the way he wants which isn’t exactly going the way he wants. He clearly as a timetable by which to proceed but since Boksu isn’t aware of this fact he probably will make things harder for him. For instance, he mentioned to himself that now wasn’t the time for one of Boksus actions. Meaning he clearly intended Boksu to do something like that. Perhaps he plans on kicking Boksu at a later point and not so soon but it could also mean Boksu has a role to play other than make the school look good. Hmm I wonder what that could be. Also when he asked Seo Jung for the meeting when he asked for her opinion regarding Boksu and what they should do his facial reaction was interesting to me when he heard that she said that he should be expelled. He probably wasn’t expecting that from her considering her past with him and was probably thinking that she would try and defend him. (one can assume that she will do that in today’s episode which I still haven’t watched.)

Speaking of Seho’s mother there is possibly another explanation of why she acts the way towards Seho. Possibly he isn’t her biological son (can be that her husband had an affair) Maybe the husband had enough of his crazy wife or whatever. She find out about this but she can’t have people talking about her (remember she has an image to maintain) so she pretends to raise him like her own but at the same time she doesn’t care if he dies etc.. think about this fact for a moment the image oriented woman hasn’t let anyone at school know that Seho was her son. Something is extremely fishy here. So none of the students were aware of this fact. Can be clearly seen when Seo Jung mentioned that she didn’t know that Seho was the son of the chairman? So in other words the mother and son have been keeping this secret for who knows how long. Also consider the fact that since those two finished their school this wasn’t discovered till recently. Okay perhaps the secret could have been maintained since Seho was packed of to the States and only returned recently. The rest of the staff was surprisingly also tight lipped in regards to this. But if Seho was really her son wouldn’t the mother have let this fact be known or the staff atleat would in in the knowhow and would have tried to treat him differently yet none of that happened. Am sure that there is more to this story as well. It also seems that each of the three have their own scars to heal.

@nrllee good observations on Seho and his relationship with the people around him. I was trying to say the same thing but you seem to have gotten around to doing it in a shorter and better way.

@Berou thanks for explaining the S. Crystal and where that name came from

As for the matter of Boksu being a school dropout does anyone think it possibly could be not because of the incident fully. As in the sense that he could have gone to another school probably in another city. We don’t know how many schools that he did try out for. But the main issue was because he didn’t want his mother to suffer anymore or see her kneel before others because of what he may have done or not done in his case. He knew that if this continued his mother would have to keep on doing this till she got him admitted but as he didn’t want her to suffer he decided to quit it while the going was still good. He did notice her heels bleeding since she must have gone to numerous schools walking and all. Probably moving to another city was probably not practical and he knew this and this must have also factored into his consideration.

Anyway will add things later on after watching the current episode. Just waiting for it to get subbed. Till then take care all of you. Can’t wait for it.

Also on a side note thanks for the High School Pictures of the two main leads. Jo Boah still resembles her younger self and was recognizable. She seems to have put on some weight (in a good sense) but Yoo Seung Ho was hardly recognizable to me. He has grown up well. Don’t really see why they were embarrassed about their pictures. It wasn’t like they were ugly or looked like have braces or something like that. Nor were they in any kind of embarrassing poses such as when Boksu and his friend were punished and they ended up ripping their pants. :sweatingbullets::wacko:

Well let’s see what happens next so keep posting as I look forward to reading all your thoughts and posts. :grin:

Done watched ep 5 with English Sub, I like this episode it's very fun until the ending scene. The ending scene of ep 5, finally Bok Soo ask SSJ why she never ask what happened, in past and even now. And next episode we will know why SSJ did all those thing in the past, and she will finally ask the question Bok Soo has been waiting for. But I don't like the part that Se Ho paid SSJ loan and ask her to date him for 3 days.

I like the way SSJ saved Bok Soo during disciplinary meeting. When i watched this part, I was like "That's how SSJ should be, that's how a teacher supposed to be, show them, SSJ, show them their power aren't that great to expelled a student like Bok Soo.

Seriously this episode full of Yoo Seung Ho skillful acting, and it will melt every girl who watch this episode hahaha

Also Jo Bo Ah acting really good too, the toilet scene when she tried to lose her bad mood, seriously this part is so funny too. 

How can I just realized the male teacher (the fat guy), he is the guy Bok Soo save from bullying in the past during their school days. Hopefully he will help Bok So in future.

Ah...so glad that the episodes are coming out, and a holiday means I can sit up and watch them. But of course, since it's a holiday in my neck of the woods, the subbers are off living real lives and enjoying their holidays (as they should!) Time to test how much Korean I really know and just watch raw... 

Really loving this show, though. I've started a lot of dramas this year and not finished them, but the chemistry (not just romantic, but all interactions between the characters) is palpable and satisfying. This is the kind of drama you just want to sit up and binge...

10 hours ago, dvrels said:

I thought it was only me who felt this way, now I'm not alone haha

Thanks everyone for the update, the lastest bts really funny, those teacher scene really funny haha. 

Anyway Merry Christmas everyone

Why they're so sweet even off cam? The Back Hug! YSH pulled JBA to lean on him and his arms around her... I can't ... I might get diabetes with the sweetness overload! Their chemistry is so good.    :love:

more gifset from: https://beyacuteful.tumblr.com/

tumblr_pk9s5rmGeJ1ulcpgxo1_400.gif

Spoiler

tumblr_pk9s5rmGeJ1ulcpgxo2_400.gif

tumblr_pk9s5rmGeJ1ulcpgxo3_400.gif

Naughty YSH that JBA couldn't breath. :mrgreen:

tumblr_pk9s5rmGeJ1ulcpgxo4_400.gif

Spoiler

tumblr_pk9s5rmGeJ1ulcpgxo5_400.gif

tumblr_pk9s5rmGeJ1ulcpgxo6_400.gif

Spoiler

tumblr_pk9s5rmGeJ1ulcpgxo7_400.gif

3 hours ago, beyaruth said:

Why they're so sweet even off cam? The Back Hug! YSH pulled JBA to lean on him and his arms around her... I can't ... I might get diabetes with the sweetness overload! Their chemistry is so good.

As I know YSH always being nice to all his co-star. I love to see how everyone enjoying filming together during this winter. 

8 hours ago, frozentundra said:

Ah...so glad that the episodes are coming out, and a holiday means I can sit up and watch them. But of course, since it's a holiday in my neck of the woods, the subbers are off living real lives and enjoying their holidays (as they should!) Time to test how much Korean I really know and just watch raw... 

Luckily the fav website make the sub faster than ever haha, 4am KST it's already full sub. So happy. 

9 hours ago, Berou said:

'Why didn't you ask? 9 years ago and now. Why aren't you asking me what happened?' I was filled with tears when he said that while tearing up. That part.. seriously.. I could relate to him. They are going to resolve their misunderstandings tomorrow, right? Please resolve 
them, I'd like to see them acting lovey-dovey. 

6. [+49,-0]
Yoo Seung Ho is really handsome.. Jo Bo Ah is really pretty too. 

7. [+44,-0]
Seung Ho's acting is daebak today..... 

8. [+31,-0]
The lines at the end.. ㅠㅠ Why didn't you ask me? ㅠㅠ

I feel all of these, my fav comments. Bok Soo hopefully soon you'll find your happiness, SSJ hopefully you open your heart and mind and care for others, Se Ho hopefully you got the love you deserve. Really can't wait for tonight episode, hope the sub come out quick

Done watched ep 6 with English Sub. 

I cried when Bok Soo was crying, how Bok So and SSJ survive during last 9 years really different, they survive with their own way, still can't move on from what happened nine years ago even when they are trying hard to let it go.

Jo Bo Ah acting really good, the scene where SSJ trying to hold back her tears in the class after Bok Soo expelled, very convincing. SSJ character choose to be ignorant to make everything seems smooth in her life. Se Ho really ruin Bok Soo and SSJ life, now I want to see how SSJ reject him. Finally SSJ ask the question to Bok Soo about what happened 9 years ago, SSJ saying sorry for come to ask so late, the ending scene on this episode really got me, the way Bok So and SSJ staring at each other with full of tears in their eyes, really sweet, their eyes, wow, their eyes saying it all, what a great actors they are. Can't wait for next episode, curious about the hardship they will face next since their misunderstanding already resolved. 

1 hour ago, Berou said:

1. [+326,-2]
Yoo Seung Ho and Jo Bo Ah cried while looking at each other.
Their visuals are amazing... 

3. [+175,-3]
Ha, seriously. Isn't Seung Ho's face insane? My god. 

5. [+48,-1]
Yoo Seung Ho's acting is great.. His eyes, expressions, voice, tone, everything is great. 

6. [+38,-2]
Yoo Seung Ho's face is crazy.. He's not human.... 

Totally agreed with all of these comments, their (YSH, JBA) visual are indeed amazing. YSH eyes, expression, voice, tone indeed great 

Thank goodness the writer cleared up the misunderstanding early on...had she dragged it on for much longer I was in danger of disliking SJ too much for her to be redeemed as someone worthy of BS's love.  Haven't had the chance to watch last night's episode but have read recaps. :)

Just goes to show that it's never too late to say 'sorry'.  A heartfelt apology complete with genuine remorse can be reparative in relationships.  Especially if the person wronged has a big heart like BS.  :)

1 hour ago, nrllee said:

Thank goodness the writer cleared up the misunderstanding early on...had she dragged it on for much longer I was in danger of disliking SJ too much for her to be redeemed as someone worthy of BS's love.  Haven't had the chance to watch last night's episode but have read recaps. :)

Just goes to show that it's never too late to say 'sorry'.  A heartfelt apology complete with genuine remorse can be reparative in relationships.  Especially if the person wronged has a big heart like BS.  :)

Yeah so glad it got cleared up this early between them.I think they both been in love with each other for so long. 

The guy playing Oh Se Ho is awesome. That creepy smirk... You can't help but hate the guy. Excellent acting!

Yoo Seung Ho's acting is fantastic. I love everything I've seen him in. One thing that's hard to portray is a character who's suffering internally and yet trying to look stoic on the outside. Often, the actors look wooden. YSH can pull it off, though. And of course there are the moments when he is just over the top in emotion, too, which perfectly fits the character. I dunno, I just *feel* a lot watching him act, and that's high praise as far as I'm concerned. 

Something I find interesting about this drama is that it's a noona romance, without the squick factor. If he really WAS a high school student hitting on a teacher--ew. But he's actually her same age, even though the power levels are uneven at school. So I can like it and look forward to the payoff of them becoming equal eventually. 

On 12/26/2018 at 7:59 AM, Berou said:

Ratings have increased T.T

Ep 11 : 6.2 %

Ep 12: 7.4 % 

His tears, a national treasure, make us crying rivers of tears. He is indeed the prince of tears and melodramas

Nice, rating is increasing. Hopefully it's get higher in next episode. 

Cr: walnutgrove0817

Their crying scene at the end of episode 6, really sweet, after a long time finally they clear up the misunderstanding. Their visual also no joke.

rtI see a lot of comments re: Soo Jeong being too smart to believe Se Ho and not Bok Su, but actually this is what I call "a smart mistake". Soo Jeong probably weighed both sides. Why would Se Ho, who was second in the school, wealthy and seemingly having it all, need to lie on Bok Su about a suicide/murder attempt? In her mind, it didn't make sense, but that is because Se Ho is just like her. He's a fake. He's walking around hiding behind his status, pretending to be something that he is not.

The person that he has shown her is not who he is, but she doesn't realize that. Soo Jeong is book smart, but when it comes to dealing with people, she is very dumb. She is not street smart at all, which is why she got scammed by that teacher. He lied and made her think all of those other teachers paid their way into permanent positions without so much as asking one of them if it was true, or even checking behind his story. Nope, she ran home, and emptied her halmoni's savings to get a job, unethically, at that. This is her biggest flaw. This is why she can't be trusted. She doesn't trust anyone and the reason why she was a contract teacher even though she was more than qualified to be permanent is because she didn't have the wherewithal to do better. That is why she got scammed. That is why the older teacher's were using her to do all of their work. That is why Se Ho put her over the lower class because he knew she was dumb enough to go along with it. Being book smart can only take you so far. You need mother wit to make it through life. 

Se Ho saw through her because he saw himself in her. He knew she was sensitive about being poor. He knew that she didn't know that he knew all of these things about her, and that she thought only Bok Su knew that she was poor. Common sense should have made her confront Bok Su and just ask, "Hey, did you tell anyone else about my status, and where I live?" But her stupid pride kept her from dealing with it, and instead she went with what was easy. It was too easy to just assume Bok Su did it. It was too easy to go along with Se Ho. The sad part is, she hasn't changed. Even when the committee initially met over Bok Su breaking the glass, she sided with them. Soo Jeong is a coward who wants to create a persona for herself that she can't even fill. Her cosplaying has not gone well. Now, the fact that she may be wrong is keeping her up at night. This is not a test or a quiz. This is life. Wake up lady, there is a price to pay. 

As far as Se Ho, he is weak. I know he doesn't want to admit that and he has been fighting against that truth, but all of his moves are from a weak standpoint. You fell for the girl your boy already liked and had a good rapport with. So, instead of stepping to Soo Jeong and confessing, he got rid of Bok Su and still didn't get what he wanted. He also hasn't changed or learned anything. Bok Su was right, he is just like his mother.

Archived