[Drama 2018-2019] Bok-Soo's Back / My Strange Hero, 복수가 돌아왔다

Go Seung Ji

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yoo Seung Ho And Jo Bo Ah Light Up The “My Strange Hero” Set With Their Smiles Even Off-Camera

Dec 15, 2018
by C. Hong

SBS’s new Monday-Tuesday drama “My Strange Hero” has released some cheerful behind-the-scenes photos of its beautiful lead actors.

“My Strange Hero” stars Yoo Seung Ho as a man who was once expelled from his high school due to false charges of school violence. He returns to the school as a teacher to get his revenge, but ends up getting involved in another unexpected circumstance due to his first love (played by Jo Bo Ah).

Off-camera, Jo Bo Ah and Yoo Seung Ho were nothing but smiles, no matter the situation. The lead actors goof off with their co-stars, smile as they monitor their performances, and pose for the camera even when they’re not officially filming.

Some of their co-stars included Chun Ho Jin, who plays Yoo Seung Ho’s character’s mentor; Kim Mi Kyung, who plays his character’s mother; and Kim Dong Young, who plays his character’s friend of 9 years. Jo Bo Ah, meanwhile, filmed with Joel Roberts, whom she worked with previously on “Goodbye to Goodbye,” and shared a laugh with the drama’s director, Ham Jun Ho.

The production staff stated, “The cast and crew for ‘My Strange Hero’ are 100 percent immersed in filming and never lose heart even in the cold weather. They enjoy the work and raise the morale on set. That bright energy is captured on-camera as well. We hope that the viewers can sense the clumsy but warm romance between the two lead actors.”

my-strange-hero3.jpg

source: https://www.soompi.com/article/1278535wpp/yoo-seung-ho-jo-bo-ah-light-strange-hero-set-smiles-even-off-camera

Hi all, jumping aboard the "My Strange Hero" train because I learnt that Hwang Chi Yeul has sung an OST for this drama (release date of the song this Monday 17 December)!  Thanks to OP for starting the thread, I need to catch up on the rest of the thread. :)

I don't watch K-dramas nowadays unless HCY sings an OST for them, which explains why I followed "Ruler - Master of the Mask" until halfway when the writers lost the plot ... Yoo Seung Ho was excellent in that drama so I am glad he is the lead in  "My Strange Hero" and although I have watched very few K-dramas I like Jo Bo-ah (saw her in "All About My Mom" ) and Kwak Dong Yeon (he did great in "Moonlight Drawn By Clouds", deserves to be main lead someday soon).  '

Caught up with the first two episodes and it's a really promising start.

3 hours ago, Berou said:

@cynkdf wow that's great news 'cause I loved his OST in Ruler. I guess he will sing something similar that could be the main OST of the drama, like a OST related to revenge. You're lucky, MSH thread has only 16 pages thus it will be an easy read ;).

Sorry to cut your post. Happy to read you love his OST for Ruler. Somehow I wish the new OST (translated by a HCY fan as "Are you listening?") won't be quite so sad/emotional but rather something lighter and sweet :) 

21 hours ago, Berou said:

@cynkdf Oh I see, it is going to be a OST for the OTP. Remember  has a similar OST, Can you hear me. HCY has a sorrowful voice, his voice fits for sad songs. I  also liked his OST for Mr Sunshine too. 

"Remember" is being aired on local TV here in Singapore (Channel U). My sis is following it avidly and is impressed by both the plot and YSH's acting (she has seen him in "The Way Home"). A few days ago I told her that YSH has a new drama but never thought I'd be watching it :)

Not much has been said about Yeon Jun Suk (Oh Young-min). He is a fine actor, I remember him from "Brilliant Legacy" where he was very convincing as the heroine's autistic brother.  IMHO  the casting director has done a brilliant job assembling not only leading actors who can act well but also a supporting cast of veterans with solid skills (Cheon Ho Jin, Kim Mi Kyung etc). Kim Yeo Jin had a brief but impressive role in "Moonlight Drawn By  Clouds" as the female lead's mother and I look forward to seeing her in a refreshingly different role as a villain :)

Was just recommended this show and so far I haven’t been disappointed with what they have shown us. Love all the characters. They are fun to watch as well as try and understand their motivations as well.

But before I get into the drama itself I have to wonder if Seho really the villain. At times that is exactly what it seems like with him giving those evil looking smirks knowing that he has finally got what he wants and has pulled one successfully over the main leads but at other times his motivation seems to be just as puzzling.

Spoiler

For instance, when he returned to Korea and saw the report of Boksu rescuing a person he couldn’t help but smile and mention that Boksu is still the same that can’t help but meddle in other people’s business. At that time, he seemed to be genuine in his comment. There didn’t seem to be any kind of ulterior motive. So I have to question is he truly evil or is that merely a matter of perspective after all I doubt any evil person genuinely considers himself as evil and only thinks that he is doing what he does for the greater good. Clearly there are exception to said point.

If we further look into Seho and his actions let’s look at things from another perspective. When the incident happened everyone was a kid more or less so things weren’t in their control of what happened then but now that time has passed it is time to make amends. For instance, Seho’s mother seems to be someone that care for appearance so to conceal the fact that her son might have tried to commit suicide expels the one student that could have done it and so that her son can’t correct her point and further embarrasses her packs him of the study abroad as well as recover. Seho probably has no idea of Boksu’s fate till much later on. When he returns he tries to remedy this mistake by trying to convince his mother to take Boksu back. Naturally the mother isn’t going to be okay with that therefore he has to spin it in a way that she will approve of. Again this comes up to the matter of appearances. Him back in school will look good for her as well as Boksu finally getting to complete what was unjustly taken from him. This way everyone wins. Now one can ask why doesn’t Seho simply apologize to Seho and let the matter end after all that is probably all that Boksu wants. True but if we consider the fact that what Seho was saying about Boksu was correct and that they were friends he probably would realize that is all that he would do. Boksu would probably never return to school without a nudge especially to do a favour to someone that has wronged him. In other words, Seho has to nudge him in the right direction even if he has to act out the role of the villain. This will eventually ease his conciseness has he has tried to make right of what was once made wrong.

As for Soo Seong it is harder to grasp just how far she is aware of things of what happened in the past. The comments by each side make us wonder and I suspect that this is the writers main point. The one thing that we have seen of Soo Jung so far is that she was extremely concerned about her studies/ranking when she was a kid and she wouldn’t want anything to come in her way and that perfect score. If Boksu wasn’t going to play ball with her she would force him to do so like when she threatened him that first time when she took him to the roof and all. So we have to question what exactly did she witness that day on the roof and just how much was she coerced to say when she had to make her statement. Was she also threatened to be expelled along with Bongsu if she didn’t play ball with the upper management. If she was the only bread winner of the family or she had such stress on her then it would make sense that she decided to accept the deal. But then again it doesn’t make sense the way she tries to avoid Bongsu. Or is cold towards him. What I suspect happened is more along the line that the moment she entered the roof she saw Bongsu drop Seho (he stated that he held onto the last second so she enters just when he couldn’t hold on any more). So she believes that is exactly what happened. Also she may have been further influenced by what Seho’s mother may have told her. Since she had only witnessed the end she had no idea of what exactly happened. In this case the mother may have revealed to her that Seho confided in her that Boksu pushed him and thus she believed that.

Remember the homeroom teacher seems to have finally figured out what has happened and is trying to fix the problems from his end such as trying to encourage all the parties to have a sit down and clear up their misunderstandings. Did he finally discover that the principal lied about the matter to protect her reputation? Also we have the anonymous poster that posted something on the school board did I miss something or is this the same post regarding the student that attempted to commit suicide or another post because if it is can it be the former homeroom teacher that is again trying to fix the problems on his own end but to the best of his ability. Also he seems to be the only decent teacher in that school that actually seems to care about his students this can be seen by the fact that he continues to visit Boksu and company even after they left the school. Had he been like the rest of the staff he wouldn’t bother about them as well.

Speaking of Boksu and his friends I admire their loyalty towards him but I have to wonder if Boksu is doing the right thing. These friends couldn’t bear to see the injustice of him being expelled that they decided to quit school along with him. Would love to see someone do something similar in the real world but that is beside the point. The point is because of Boksu their own careers ended since they decided to tag along with him. Now it is true that one might be okay with the fact that since these students were never any good not much difference would have been made in the long run and that they were just saving everyone a lot of time and work. But can we actually be sure what if the correct motivation for them wasn’t found. Boksu is a perfect example. He himself was a so called poor student but he got his motivation from Soo Jung and wanting to impress her. What if there was something similar for his friends? When they walked away they threw away that chance. then comes Boksu’s second chance when he gets to go back to school and while I know that this is only a short term plan on his end what if turns out to be more. In that case shouldn’t he have also included his friends to rejoin the school. Somehow I feel that Seho might not have an issue with that unless he was truly evil. So no matter how short his time his friends should have the same chances as him. I am sure that they will have better roles to play in the future and that is why they didn’t return but for how long will they plan on sticking together like this.

On another hand this drama reminds me of a Japanese Drama I watched a few years back with Ryoko Yonekura in it. I think it was called Back To School At 35 if I am not mistaken. Though she clearly looked like a woman attending school whereas he still looks like a student to an extent.  Perhaps things will play out similarly in this show as well.

Boksu seems to have a good heart just due to circumstances he now needs an excuse to act out on them without fearing the consequences. Such as when he witnessed Soo Jung falling of the bridge he was wondering why nobody else jumped in for the rescue and him being paid was merely an excuse. Given similar situations I can see him resolving the school problems. A student is being bullied well he won’t lift a finger now even though he wants but the moment the victim offers to pay him he will gladly use that as an excuse and come to his rescue, a frustrated student wants to make a statement or play a prank but has no idea of what to do hires him and he produces results. The best thing is that everyone gains from this. Since Boksu is known to be a troublemaker everyone is going to blame him and the students get what they want. Boksu himself doesn’t really care about the school and wants them to suffer so he wins out as well.

Anyway let’s leave it at this for the moment. Will add more later on but have to attend to my work for the time being. Till then take care all of you and keep posting. Also lets hope that the drama doesn’t disappoint but continues to improve. :D

13 hours ago, yamiyugi said:

Was just recommended this show and so far I haven’t been disappointed with what they have shown us. Love all the characters. They are fun to watch as well as try and understand their motivations as well.

Sorry to cut your post, but can I just thank whoever recommended the drama to you, because your comments are very well-written.

@Berou you are right, HCY's OST is a sad ballad :)  

Thanks to How Entertainment:

@Berou thanks for posting that Soompi write-up, it's brilliant. Is the handsome bridegroom in the cameo (first ep) the same actor who acted in "Remember"?

YSH is already recognized as an excellent actor, I am hoping for him to be in a well-written drama that is acclaimed critically (I don't trust ratings) and for KDY, I hope this is his breakout role.

As a crazy HCY stan I must share this, which I find amusing nonetheless. This morning a Weibo blogger posted about the official OST 3 poster and one fan

Spoiler

commented: "But that isn't a picture of HCY!"  The answer from the blogger: "This is an OST, how can the picture be of him (ie HCY)?"

Park Bo Gum And Song Hye Kyo Top Rankings For Buzzworthy Actors + “SKY Castle” Continues To Rise In Popularity

Dec 17, 2018
by sala12

On December 17, Good Data Corporation released a list of the most buzzworthy dramas and cast members from December 10 to December 16.

The data was compiled from an analysis of responses on 31 dramas through news articles, blog posts, online communities, social media, and video clip view counts.

JTBC’s “SKY  Castle” ranked No. 1, pushing tvN’s “Encounter” into second place after being No. 1 for three weeks in a row. “SKY Castle” has shown a continuous incline for three weeks after its premiere. Kim Bo Ra’s role of a student in poverty is also gaining a lot of attention as she made it into the 10th place slot for the list of top 10 buzzworthy actors. The diverse characters with strong individuality in “SKY Castle” are gaining a lot of attention as 15 cast members placed within the top 100.

Although “Encounter” ranked second overall, Park Bo Gum and Song Hye Kyo have ranked first and second, respectively, for three weeks in a row on the top buzzworthy actors list. Hyun Binand Park Shin Hye from “Memories of the Alhambra” ranked third and sixth, respectively. Jang Nara ranked No. 4 after her refreshing acting gained attention in SBS’s “The Last Empress.” Yoo Seung Ho came in fifth place with Jo Bo Ah in seventh after the premiere of “My Strange Hero,” which has also gained a lot of attention from the public.

Here’s the full list below!

List of Top 10 Buzzworthy Dramas

1. JTBC’s “SKY Castle” (14.73 percent)
  2. tvN’s “Encounter” (14.28 percent)
  3. tvN’s “Memories of the Alhambra” (13.8 percent)
  4. SBS’s “The Last Empress” (12.17 percent)
  5. SBS’s “My Strange Hero” (4.72 percent)
  6. JTBC’s “Clean with Passion for Now” (4.24 percent)
  7. MBC’s “Less than Evil” (3.96 percent)
  8. tvN’s “Mama Fairy and the Woodcutter” (3.42 percent)
  9. tvN’s “Top Star Yoo Baek” (2.96 percent)
  10. OCN’s “God’s Quiz: Reboot” (2.78 percent)

Buzzworthy-Drama.jpg

List of Top 10 Buzzworthy Actors

1. Park Bo Gum – tvN’s “Encounter”
  2. Song Hye Kyo – tvN’s “Encounter”
  3. Hyun Bin – tvN’s “Memories of the Alhambra”
  4. Jang Nara – SBS’s “The Last Empress”
  5. Yoo Seung Ho – SBS’s “My Strange Hero”
  6. Park Shin Hye – tvN’s “Memories of the Alhambra”
  7. Jo Bo Ah – SBS’s “My Strange Hero”
  8. Kim Yoo Jung – JTBC’s “Clean with Passion for Now”
  9. Yoon Kyun Sang – JTBC’s “Clean with Passion for Now”
  10. Kim Bo Ra – JTBC’s “SKY Castle”

Buzzworthy-Actor.jpg

source: https://www.soompi.com/article/1279375wpp/park-bo-gum-song-hye-kyo-top-rankings-buzzworthy-actors-sky-castle-continues-rise-popularity

BTS video

1 hour ago, dramaninja said:

I  am sorry but she is dumb she made that assumption herself only after seeing the tail end of an accident.

I think there's something else... She was crying as she was going up the stairs on that flashback

I really dont get how she think he could do something,like this when she did not even see the whole thing.Also she does not fine anything if this weird when the guy that he supposedly push wanted him back at the school like really?

Her whole attitude  about situation really annoys me so More and more I think she was paid off. :rage:Or just really stupid :smirk:

Anyway you slice it his like got ruin and she is part of the reason be it ignorance or malice

Preview

12 hours ago, Berou said:

@cynkdf yes it the same actor :). And the bride played in ruler. Moreover the mother who threw water at BS appeared in Remember as the woman who was abused by her husband,  got rescued by SJW and later became a lawyer and worked with SJW in his law firm.

Thanks :) The angry mother is played by Lee Jung Eun, who acted brilliantly as  Haman-daek, Aeshin's adorable maid in "Mr Sunshine". Look forward to more interesting cameos!

Official MV for OST 3 - hoping to hear it in ep 4 tonight:

Archived