[Drama 2018-2019] Bok-Soo's Back / My Strange Hero, 복수가 돌아왔다

Go Seung Ji

Hello guys. i am somehow worried about this comeback. At first writer is newcomer and director is not that much talented either. and now his costar is not that much popular. there are so many things to be worry about, even the story doesn't seem that much interesting.

the only thing i want for him is success.

I'm happy it is not mbc but sbs drama but again there are so many things to be worried about.

Sorry for my negative reaction but as we all know his 2 last dramas weren't good enough.

BUT ANYWAY I WILL WATCH IT AND WISH IT BECOME HUGE SUCCESS AND SURPRISE ME.

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Berou said:

After some second thoughts, I'm more optimistic about this drama. It has  actually a right amount of everything : romance, comedy and action (?). Moreover it has some substance, it is not one of those rom coms focused mainly on the OTP falling in love, kissing and dating for 16+ hours. Thus other non-romcoms fans can enjoy it too. Everything is left in the hands of the newbie writer, I'm crossing my fingers that it will turn out to be a decent drama. 

The SBS article disclosed he will be changing persona from a bully to a genuinely nice guy, a grudge holder, and a buffoon.We will again see a nuanced acting of YSH, his character will be like an onion with multiple layers. From the tidbits we got so far, I get the feeling his character is a tsundere : someone who purposely looks scary and has built shield but is actually really nice deep inside, and prefers to hide his real feelings.  The grudge holder adjective refers to him seeking vengeance and the buffoon adjective refers to him being a fish out of water after returning to high school as an adult.  My fangirling feelings will be at the highest if we see him fighting with other bullies ! :love: I want to see some action. YSH is really good in fight scenes, Ruler had some fight scenes but they were not enough for me to admire his fighting skills.

If done right, this drama can be very excellent! While I also enjoy romcoms that are exclusively just romance and just two leads dealing with their relationship for 16 hours, I find those harder to pull off and require a much much more experienced and talented writer to make it work (for me there are only two dramas which fall under this category that I like), so if this drama has a bit of everything, it's easier to make it enjoyable and not boring or dragging. For me dragging is even worse than bad plot writing I just can't handle dragging. Like @soara said, I do feel a bit worried about the writer, but people gotta start somewhere I guess  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Those adjectives are very interesting! A guy that is nice but holds grudges, but at the same time feels out of place and awkward? I can already feel he's gonna be a dynamic character! Honestly, I have doubts whether he will be able to pull off the scary look, because... he doesn't look scary at all? He looks like a nice chic guy at most, how's he gonna pull off the bully look I'm very curious to see.

I haven't seen him in any fighting scenes :o I didn't know he's good at action scenes! It would be great if they have those scenes in this drama so I can see him in action for once :love:

On 9/4/2018 at 1:39 AM, Berou said:

@sakura2016 Do you have some cristal ball ? Because Jo Bo Ah has received an offer :lol:. I am quite relieved because I saw her in Monster drama and was quite good in there. So she is an actress that I know.  She is around his age (born in 1991). 

Naver article : https://m.entertain.naver.com/read?oid=213&aid=0001057278

Jo Boa, SBS 'Revenge is back'  "Under review"

Well I trusted his last two dramas and then..:mellow:. The writer is really a rookie, with no drama under her/ his filmography. So it is natural to get worried. It looks like YSH likes to experiment dramas with new writers.  No matter what, I will support him even though I don't approve all his choices. You are partly right about giving a chance, at least it is not a MBC drama and the quality of the drama will be better. Let's hope for the best !

hhhhhhhhhhhhhh I'm happy one of my wished female actresses were actually offered the role to be YSH's female lead here!! I really like Jo Bo Ah though I got irritated by two of her characters (Sweetest stranger and Temperature Of Love) but she's a good actress and I can see her making a good pair with Yoo Seung Ho!! really hope she takes the offer!! :wub:

agree with you!! this drama have a potential to be really successful so let's hope they sue it to the fullest and not keep the plot on its surface like Ruler and IANAR did sadly!! 

On 9/5/2018 at 12:07 AM, Berou said:

@sakura2016 became the victim of my nagging and rants :lol:. I'm sorry to her. Everytime a casting news came out, I went  to her for ranting, wondering why YSH was refusing to come back. Trust me. Even though it is a revenge drama with a highschool background, it is still  light in terms of " YSH's dark and melo" dramas. The melos he did before were full of drama, anguish and tears. He cried or had an anguished expression in every scene. Bullying is a sensitive topic and viewers might feel uncomfortable watching characters getting bullied, but we don't know what the writer has in mind for the plot. Maybe the drama won't touch on the bullying issue. 

no worries chingu we were felling the same and ranting to each other after all!! :lol: 

hhhhhhhh I agree on that!! YSH's new dramas as dark and melo they can be they still give us a light side of him that we didn't get to see in his past dramas!! I'm thankful for that for sure!! :P :lol: plus there is other dramas that adressed such sencitive topics in high school and did pretty well like Angry Mom!! I didn't watch it but I heart great things about it!! School 2013 (loved) and School 2017 (want to watch) did adress some topics too and they did well raiting wise if I'm not wrong!! 

On 9/5/2018 at 2:25 AM, evie7 said:

dragonhiplz.gif?1  Thanks for the tag. Count me in, I can't wait to see YSH do goofy.:love:

@sakura2016Hello my friend, it's so nice to you again.  I can't believe you mentioned Jo Bo Ah for  Yoo's leading lady, she has been always been one of my favorites. I hope she takes it. It seemed like she was only getting evil second lead roles for a while. With a chance to act w/Yoo, she should be dancing and saying yes yes!crazy-monkey-emoticon-169.gif   (as long as she doesn't have to do evil)  

Hi chingu!! happy to see you joining us!! missed being with you on same thread!! :wub: well I was away from threads in general for months now!! :lol:

she's a good actress even if I only saw her in self-centered characters and I quite liked her dispite that in Sweetest Stranger which says something!! ;) like you I hope she takes the offer!! she'll make a good pair with YSH I'm sure!! :wub: 

hhhhhhhh let's hope she would!! :lol: 

On 9/9/2018 at 6:19 AM, Berou said:

Yes, I do agree. It has the ingredients to be a very excellent drama. I have also  noticed most popular rom coms which became hit dramas have the right amount of everything. And after years later, viewers still love them and they have become classic rom coms. Now, I take back my words about the writer... the real issue lies within the investment of SBS : It looks like to me SBS needed a drama to make bridge between the end of the year and the beginning of the next year. Many big production dramas are scheduled for the next year ( i.e Vagabond), thus SBS needed a buffer-drama. If it had any will to make it a hit or at least to produce a good drama, it wouldn't have entrusted the project to a rookie writer. There are so many writers in SBS, don't tell me they couldn't find a writer with some experience.  The other issue is the SBS drama awards, we don't know yet if his drama will make the cut. If it doesn't, chances are high SBS will almost  forget him and his drama next year  like how they did back in 2016. Remember was one of SBS's high rated dramas in 2016 but due to the popularity of certain dramas starring hallyu stars and on going dramas, SBS preferred to give the spotlight to those dramas, even though those dramas didn't achieve the ratings that Remember did. And next year the hallyu stars, who have gone to army, will be back and they can potentially be cast in a SBS drama. To put it into a nutshell, he took way too long to make a comeback and he did it in a bad timing. 

You got me thinking now that you said it... Dramas at the end of the year to the next year don't usually have awards, do they? At least not the big important awards. I don't know exactly how writers and producing companies work, don't scriptwriter just write their script first and apply to different broadcast companies to see whoever is going to take their script? If that's a case, it's possible that they read through the script and find that it has the potential to be a good drama, even though it's from a rookie writer? Idk how it works so please enlighten me on this haha. I think we will have a better view of how much SBS is investing in this drama once the drama/character posters and trailers come out, but honestly, your analysis sounds really plausible. Generally, I kind of trust whatever SBS puts out, as the plots of the dramas they have are pretty good, so I will put my trust in them for now :blush:

Like you said, those with more influence and fame that are in military service will come back some time next year so it will be a difficult time to compete for attention. However, aside from that, big hallyu stars like Lee Min Ho and Kim Soo Hyun don't come back until beginning or mid summer, so YSH is probably gonna be the biggest star in his time slot in Decemeber, right? I haven't checked other dramas that will be aired in that same time, but if this is the case, it could be a great chance for him to gain popularity before the hallyu stars return :3 

Not related but jeez I miss chatting with you so much! You're so resourceful about these topics and the discussion is always so interesting! 

Alright. I want to see some "action" scenes from YSH (prefer jumping or running than punching/hitting) where i can say, "wow, daebak" but with a light vibe of course cos this have school genre in it, and humor too. I need a good funny scenes.

Well, just a thought... 

In the same way that I wanted Kim  Yoo Jung doing  dark angsty melodarama ( like 2015 Angry Mom) is the same as how I want  Yoo Seung Ho to do more powerful angsty melodama (like 2015 Remember). These two terrific young actors will premiere dramas  CWPFN (rom-com loves story ) last week of November while this "Revenge is Back" is first week December?

But looking at the story plot...

When Kang Bok-Soo (Yoo Seung-Ho) was a high school student, he was falsely accused of committing violence and kicked out of school. This was caused by his first love Son Soo-Jung and a male student Oh Se-Ho. 

Kang Bok-Soo is a now an adult, but his life has not gone smoothly. To get revenge on Son Soo-Jung and Oh Se-Ho, he returns to the same high school as a student. The environment at the school has changed and Kang Bok-Soo gets involved in unexpected cases.

I agree this will good one if done right. Looks like it will touch the subject of bullying which is always sensitive topic. It's good to bring out awareness through dramas. As the title says "Revenge is back" It's going to touch of revenge, vindication and such after being  falsely accused... I guess his life will be ruined because of the accusations.

@Berou is the female lead confirmed? not familiar with her but I watched her in SUFBB.

12a0b62fe2b348008b5133da6e6ac007.jpeg?s=

Jo Bo Ah Confirmed To Join Yoo Seung Ho In Upcoming Romantic Comedy

Sep 27, 2018
by J. Lee

Jo Bo Ah is confirmed to star in SBS’s upcoming romantic comedy drama with Yoo Seung Ho.

“Revenge Is Back” (working title) tells the story of Kang Bok Soo (played by Yoo Seung Ho), a student who is expelled from school after being falsely accused of being a bully. He returns to school as an adult to seek revenge, but he is unexpectedly swept up in a series of new incidents. Son Soo Jung (played by Jo Bo Ah) is the lovely and smart class president. She was Bok Soo’s first love, but she betrays him and returns to school as a teacher.

Jo Bo Ah said, “I’m excited to say hello to viewers again with a romantic comedy drama. I’ve always wanted to try this genre. My heart started to flutter in excitement when I started to read the script of this drama. I’ll try to share this feeling with viewers as much as I can. I’ll study and act hard to perfectly portray the lovely and confident character of Son Soo Jung. Please look forward to our drama and show support. Thank you.”

Jo Bo Ah was praised for her acting in her latest work, “Goodbye to Goodbye.” She played the role of Jung Hyo, a university student who unexpectedly becomes a single mother. She was also recognized for her sympathetic personality that reached out to chefs who own small restaurants in SBS’s variety show “Baek Jong Won’s Alley Restaurant.” She is acknowledged in both dramas and variety shows for her charms.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1236925wpp/jo-bo-ah-confirmed-join-yoo-seung-ho-upcoming-romantic-comedy

SEP 27 2018

Jo Bo-Ah cast in SBS drama series “Bok-Soo’s Back”

DoEoIJgU8AENMkU.jpg

Jo Bo-Ah is cast for the lead female role in SBS drama series “Bok-Soo’s Back” co-starring Yoo Seung-Ho. For the drama series, Jo Bo-Ah will play Son Soo-Jung. Back in her high school days, she was the first love of Kang Bok-Soo (Yoo Seung-Ho). She betrayed him though and got him kicked out of school. She now works as a high school teacher there and meets Kang Bok-Soo again.

“Bok-Soo’s Back” first airs December, 2018 (takes over SBS’ Monday and Tuesday 10PM time slot after “Where Stars Land“).

http://blog.asianwiki.com/korean-dramas/jo-bo-ah-cast-in-sbs-drama-series-bok-soos-back

• Go Seung Ji changed the title to [Upcoming Drama 2018] Bok-Soo's Back, 복수가 돌아왔다 - Yoo Seung Ho and Jo Bo Ah - Premiere in December

Jo Bo Ah & Yoo Seung Ho cast as the leads of new teacher romance drama

yoo-seung-ho-jo-bo-ah.jpg

It's been confirmed that SBS's newest teacher romance drama 'Revenge Is Back' has cast its male and female leads - Yoo Seung Ho and Jo Bo Ah!

The romantic comedy tells the story of a woman named Son Soo Jung, who never let go of the #1 spot in her academic career, but who suffered a few pitiful failures in her teacher certification exams - resorting to a career as a part-time teacher. She finds a job at her old school, where she meets her arch nemesis Kang Bok Soo (played by Yoo Seung Ho). 

'Revenge Is Back' is set to air sometime in November, after 'Fox Bride Star'. Do you like the lead casting and the storyline so far?

https://www.allkpop.com/article/2018/09/jo-bo-ah-yoo-seung-ho-cast-as-the-leads-of-new-teacher-romance-drama

Oh yay the lead actress has confirmed!!! I was so worried since the drama is going to air in December, which means they only have probably around two to three months to prepare and start filming (dramas film some episodes well in advance before it airs right?) and if they're going to be short on time if the female lead is not confirmed. This photo

12a0b62fe2b348008b5133da6e6ac007.jpeg?s=

is absolutely adorable tho! I feel like they will look so well with one another! So she's the one who accused him of being a bully? Very interesting. Before the female lead description comes out, I thought she was going to be on the sideline while the main antagonist is going to be that first love, but turns out the first love is the female lead! At least this way the female lead is greatly involved in the plot and is not just there for the romance :blush:

Jo Boa becomes Yoo Seung-ho’s first love in SBS rom-com
by tineybeanie

DoH843VUUAEbRKT.jpg

We might be seeing Yoo Seung-ho (I’m Not a Robot) in a school uniform again! SBS has a rom-com drama in its lineup called Revenge Returns, about childhood sweethearts who became enemies returning to the place that started it all: high school.....

More: Source

You had me at Yoo Seung Ho...and then you throw in Jo BoA (she reminds me of Park BoYoung for some reason - cuteness overload) and I am in hook, line, sinker.  If the plot is half decent, it should make for great entertainment.  Count me in for December viewing...if my SBS live stream behaves.  It has the unenviable ability to sputter and freeze at inopportune moments mid drama causing me to hit the refresh button madly.  Last time it froze when LYY was asking YSY to "stay over" in Your Honor and Imma like "NOOOO"...the next frame after the refresh the credits rolled...  :P:lol:

Kwak Dong Yeon reportedly cast alongside Yoo Seung Ho & Jo Bo Ah in 'Revenge is Back'

yoo-seung-ho-jo-bo-ah-kwak-dong-yeon.jpg

According to reports on October 5, actor Kwak Dong Yeon has chosen his next small-screen production after 'My ID Is Gangnam Beauty'. 

Insiders stated that Kwak Dong Yeon has been cast as a male lead in SBS's new Mon-Tues drama 'Revenge Is Back', as the role of Oh Se Ho. The character is a new chief director of a high school, a position he inherited due to his mother's divorce. If Kwak Dong Yeon's casting as Oh Se Ho is true, he'll be working with actor Yoo Seung Ho and actress Jo Bo Ah, who previously confirmed their appearances on 'Revenge Is Back'. 

The drama revolves around a woman who returns to her alma mater high school as a part-time teacher, and encounters her arch nemesis, another teacher at the school.

https://www.allkpop.com/article/2018/10/kwak-dong-yeon-reportedly-cast-alongside-yoo-seung-ho-jo-bo-ah-in-revenge-is-back

Jo Hyun Sik's agency confirms him joining the drama.

He will play the role of "Ma Young Jun". He was a victim of bullying as a student and becomes a teacher to help students who are suffering from the same problem, but instead, even as a teacher he is being bullied by students. The moment he gives up, he will change 180 degrees and show a different character.

2018100401000168500011061.jpg

source

9598F95F-FE17-4C27-9618-F2AA60C3C637.png

Kwak Dong Yeon Joins Yoo Seung Ho And Jo Bo Ah In New SBS Drama

Oct 5, 2018

by J. K

Kwak Dong Yeon has been confirmed for SBS’s upcoming drama!

On October 5, his agency FNC Entertainment told Chic News, “Kwak Dong Yeon is returning to the small screen through ‘Revenge is Back’ [working title] after his latest work ‘My ID Is Gangnam Beauty.'”

The young actor joins a cast including Yoo Seung Hoand Jo Bo Ah in the drama. “Revenge Is Back” tells the story of Kang Bok Soo (played by Yoo Seung Ho), who seeks revenge as an adult by returning to his childhood school, which he’d been expelled from after being falsely accused of bullying. Jo Bo Ah plays Son Soo Jung, Bok Soo’s first love who is now teaching at the school.

An initial report about Kwak Dong Yeon’s casting prior to FNC’s confirmation described that he will be playing the role of Oh Se Ho, an always-smiling new chairman of the board at the high school, who has had a hard life. It states that his character will be part of a love triangle.

Kwak Dong Yeon has previously appeared in dramas including “Moonlight Drawn by Clouds,” “Fight My Way,” “Into the World Again,” “Radio Romance,” and more.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1241265wpp/kwak-dong-yeon-joins-yoo-seung-ho-jo-bo-ah-new-sbs-drama

On 9/5/2018 at 6:07 AM, Berou said:

Same here, I only participate in YSH's drama threads, sometimes I post on other threads but I end up stop posting.  I hope too,  I guess other IANAR folks and his other fans will come later. I should perhaps tag some of them to make them come out. @vangsweetie637 @soara @hyania @maj_loves @miye0n @paperboat04 @Unicaunnisansu  @2handsintertwined @2016moana @ferily  @findit  @evie7  @hiriena02  @sanaeozora

@sakura2016 became the victim of my nagging and rants :lol:. I'm sorry to her. Everytime a casting news came out, I went  to her for ranting, wondering why YSH was refusing to come back. Trust me. Even though it is a revenge drama with a highschool background, it is still  light in terms of " YSH's dark and melo" dramas. The melos he did before were full of drama, anguish and tears. He cried or had an anguished expression in every scene. Bullying is a sensitive topic and viewers might feel uncomfortable watching characters getting bullied, but we don't know what the writer has in mind for the plot. Maybe the drama won't touch on the bullying issue. 

Thanks for tagging me @Berou. Count me in. Excited to watch this drama. I must agree to some of you who worries about the writer, same thought, there will be doubts with writer and director but one thing for sure its YSH Drama and I have no doubts about his capabilities and i trust he will do his best. hoping that this thread will grow and will share more about this drama. 

BTW, thus anyone knows when will be the script reading and presscon for this project? (my apologies for being advance).

Yoo Seung Ho in a vengeful character again? count me in! I was very excited when I first heard the news of his come back but when the news of the writer, director and actress came out my excitement took a dip ( mainly because I'm not familiar with any of them). With that being said I will still give this show a try because it has Yoo Seung Ho in it . Rom Com is really not my genre, I lhave always liked Yoo Seung Ho in dark multi layered roles , I wanted to see him in a similar role but with a happy ending this time around but well all wishes aren't granted in this life so. ..Anyways I'll watch anything for my fav oppa, really hope this show works out for him, his entry into the hallyu list has been long over due. Hwaiting Oppa!!

Archived