Quantcast

Yep, as expected, it took the fall of the 'castles' to make everyone come to their senses. Unfortunately, it was a day late and a dollar short because it cost Hye Na her life.

Actually, I found the ending to be too neatly tied up.  All the families were portrayed as having learnt their lesson, and is now valuing the simple joys of being a  family over achievements. 

I, especially, found it problematic for SJ's family to adjust and change so drastically, easily and quickly.  They, of all the families, needed to do a lot more introspection of their actions and motives. After all,  they are the family that did the most harm to others.  Instead, they are shown to smile and act as if all the pain and harm they caused is yesterday's news and is no longer of consequence.  

And, SJ is the foremost character that needs to do a lot of soul-searching and atonement for her actions. I loved when Coach Kim said to SJ, during the prison visit, about her also being responsible for Hye Na's death.  SJ thought she had redeemed herself because she  revealed everything to the police. She, conveniently, forgot that she had been a willingly partner to Coach Kim's schemes.  And, she manipulated Coach Kim by goading her.  Exactly like Coach Kim's methods.

I think the finale would have had a stronger impact if there had been a break-up in one family. Instead of all the families resolving their issues and making up.  Preferably, that one family would be the Cha family because of Professor being so wedded to his creed on life and style of raising his children.

It's ironic that they talk about finding themselves.  As if it is something that is accomplished by going on a trip.  Finding one's self is an everyday occurrence.  Every time we make a decision or choose a path to take, we are defining the person we are. 

Historically, one purpose for going away to college was to find one's self.  No need to drop out of high school to accomplish that goal.

Check out this very appropriate article:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/22/magazine/my-sons-tutor-slipped-me-entrance-exam-questions-should-i-report-him.html?emc=edit_ma_20190126&nl=magazine&nlid=7276671420190126&te=1Nonetheless

And, the book mentioned in the article:

https://www.bookdepository.com/Ill-Gotten-Gains-Leo-Katz/9780226425948

Notwithstanding my preference for a stronger finale, this was an excellent drama. And, if there were a superlative greater than excellent, that would be the description of the acting.  Bravo!

Edited by Auntie Mame
  • Like 13

@ellelyana88 my blood boils when the teacher said if you don't go to SKY, you won't be treated as human... I wanted CKJ to ask him whether he himself graduated from SKY. If not, then why should they listen to him? Kinda like "walk the talk". I guess I would've done the same thing as what they did, so that scene didn't bother me too much. Until you mentioned how it could set a bad example for younger viewers, which I agree. But anyway, it was realistic in that not the whole class went out, a few students remained in the class. 

• Like 5

Personally I loved the finale.  It feels and runs like an Epilogue.  As soon as I decided to view it as an Epilogue, I relaxed and tried to find thoughts the writer was trying to leave us with.

1. Little changes matter.  Your choices matter.  Whilst before there seemed to be only ONE option, there are now different options.  You can choose to go the WooJoo way - take time to 'find yourself' and learn life lessons instead of finishing school.  You are not less of an individual for doing so.  Or you can opt to stay in the system and stick it out howbeit in a less relentless fashion - YeSuh and the twins, YeBin.  Or you can be an entrepreneur like SeRi.  Or you can stay in the system and be average like SooHan.

2. Love in the family unit and understanding is paramount regardless of the options.  It is what truly matters.  Woo family wisdom.

3. Kindness and forgiveness is sometimes the better route.  Prof Cha only caved after his Wife's reaffirmation of how she still loved him.  Rules and ultimatums failed to shake him enough.  SooIm's kindness to Coach Kim was extraordinary.  There are some rare individuals who are like that.  They are the salt of the earth.  Kind to a fault.  But what would the world be without these gems?

4. The pyramid stays entrenched in society.  The tell all book will only impact a few.  But like I mentioned before, change often happens slowly.  It takes one brave soul to start a revolution.  Or at least start the thinking process.  Hence the final image of the exclusive Coach selection process again with the Specter of Coach Kim looming large.  The writer is not so naive to think that the pyramid will get rolled out and tossed away with just her drama alone.  But it does start the conversation and that's what matters.

• Like 7
  • Insightful 2

22 minutes ago, nrllee said:

Prof Cha only caved after his Wife's reaffirmation of how she still loved him.  Rules and ultimatums failed to shake him enough.

When I was watching the scene during which Prof Cha asked his wife is she happy without him, and her heartwarming answer, I found myself wanting the writer to do a prequel drama of these characters' younger version, perhaps starting from their teenage years so we can see HSJ's past with his drunkard dad and her hatred to Ox-blood, the encounter with LSI and their friendship, how was KJS during teenage years under his mom's strict surveillance and control, how SooHan's mom (I don't remember her character's name..LOL) come to idolize HSJ, how did Prof Cha wooed NSH and get married, how did he do as a prosecutor and became Chief and had to leave his post to teach due to incident with his FIL. The whole drama maybe could end with the SKY Castle's prologue where YoungJae's mom commit suicide. Hahaha! Just a sudden idea popped out in my mind when I watched Prof Cha and his wife's scene :joy:

I would definitely join the ride if the writer ever make their younger version's story. What did they experienced that made them the character we see in SKY Castle. :ph34r:

• Like 6
  • LOL 2

3 hours ago, ellelyana88 said:

When I was watching the scene during which Prof Cha asked his wife is she happy without him, and her heartwarming answer, I found myself wanting the writer to do a prequel drama of these characters' younger version, perhaps starting from their teenage years so we can see HSJ's past with his drunkard dad and her hatred to Ox-blood, the encounter with LSI and their friendship, how was KJS during teenage years under his mom's strict surveillance and control, how SooHan's mom (I don't remember her character's name..LOL) come to idolize HSJ, how did Prof Cha wooed NSH and get married, how did he do as a prosecutor and became Chief and had to leave his post to teach due to incident with his FIL. The whole drama maybe could end with the SKY Castle's prologue where YoungJae's mom commit suicide. Hahaha! Just a sudden idea popped out in my mind when I watched Prof Cha and his wife's scene :joy:

I would definitely join the ride if the writer ever make their younger version's story. What did they experienced that made them the character we see in SKY Castle. :ph34r:

I love your idea! Count me in! 

Now how do we get this message to writer-nim? 

The above scene was one of my fave in this last episode too. The acting was so on point and realistic for Prof.Cha's emotions. His sadness and final resignation and relief... 

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

20 hours ago, herina_90 said:

Finished Ep20 with subs as well, and tbh, I loved the first 10 mins of it, when KJY was telling HSJ, you had a part to play in HyeNa's death too. KJY was definitely not in the right, but I feel that someone had to tell HSJ those facts. This feeds back to WJ's scene when he asked HSJ if she had apologised to HyeNa. Somewhere along the line, she forgot that HyeNa was just a teenager, all alone in the world, and has been fending for herself for so long. Sometimes, words can be more powerful than action. She didn't push HyeNa over the railing, but she pushed HyeNa off the cliff with her words. HSJ needed a waking up call as well then, that she had been just as much as monster as KJY, so that she could really change after she's accepted that fact.

I didn't really like the WooJoo ending though. I kept thinking what kind of message was this bringing by letting students drop out of high school just to find out what kind of life and what kind of person he wants to be. His lines were too preachy and unrealistic. Moreover, with just a few months left to graduate, he should have just graduated first, and repay his parents' efforts for bringing him up and putting him through school. I can understand delaying university, but I draw the line there. Moreover, they forgot what HyeNa had been striving for, which was to rid the school of the elite class. Could he not have spent the last few months, trying to achieve what HyeNa was aiming for instead? I know things in school won't change that fast, but I rather have that than the scene of the seniors skipping school. I can understand YeSeo's story in dropping out cause at least she's still studying to finish her GED but Woojoo... hmmmm... nah.

At the end, everyone was happy but I just felt so much sadness and pity for HyeNa. It wasn't shown explicitly, but all the little scenes showed it was the guard that pushed her (which i thought phew at least it wasn't suicide cause there would be even more gaps in the story if so...). Like some k-netz said, the privileged became happy at the expense of the least privileged character on the show, who died over exams. I liked the moment the Kang family went to visit her and YeSeo acknowledging her as her sister, but that broke my heart... What it could have been.... 

Overall, it's still  a great drama and I'm glad I jumped on this bandwagon when I heard the ratings were soaring. 

How did you know it was the guard? I must have missed some clues.

Also, does anyone know where I can read the leaked script? Or what was the ending?

Edited by aileesus
Added part about script
  • Like 3

Sad to be glad that finally it's over. I mean this in the best way. It was a long 20 episodes but I'm really grateful for each story that was told. Another masterpiece ended and all we can do is rewatch it at some later date. Thank you to the cast and crew who worked tirelessly to produce this masterpiece. :((((

With that being said, I see some special episodes regarding our cast, would you guys tell me when this episodes are airing specially the ending of episode 20, it seems like it will be aired next week at the same slot like the special episodes of Goblin but I'm not sure. I just want to watch the cast more. :) thank you.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, aileesus said:

How did you know it was the guard? I must have missed some clues.

Also, does anyone know where I can read the leaked script? Or what was the ending?

It was from the scenes where the security guard was arrested together with KJY and Mr Jo, shouting at KJY that she said nothing will happen, as well as the ending credits there was a sequence of pictures that showed the guard in a red hoodie hiding behind the door > HyeNa standing at the railing > HyeNa fallen on the ground. 

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, herina_90 said:

It was from the scenes where the security guard was arrested together with KJY and Mr Jo, shouting at KJY that she said nothing will happen, as well as the ending credits there was a sequence of pictures that showed the guard in a red hoodie hiding behind the door > HyeNa standing at the railing > HyeNa fallen on the ground. 

If the guard is in the red hoodie, then, is he the killer?   Was he instigated by Coach Kim, just as she did with  Mr. Jo to kill her husband?

If so, that means Coach Kim is taking the responsibility, even though she didn't actually do the killing? :blink:

• Like 5

I thought the one screaming in the police truck was the teacher from their high school? 

It was concluded that the guard received money from Kim to kill. He collected it from a locker and Jo took a picture/video of him doing so. Then the dashcam was conveniently provided by the guard and he resigned and went missing. 

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Auntie Mame said:

If the guard is in the red hoodie, then, is he the killer?   Was he instigated by Coach Kim, just as she did with  Mr. Jo to kill her husband?

If so, that means Coach Kim is taking the responsibility, even though she didn't actually do the killing? :blink:

I think if you add all the scenes together (red hoodie pic, Coach Kim wiring money, etc), it can be taken that the guard did the killing and was paid off by Coach Kim. So she's still the instigator and responsible even if she didn't actually push HyeNa. 

16 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

I thought the one screaming in the police truck was the teacher from their high school? 

It was concluded that the guard received money from Kim to kill. He collected it from a locker and Jo took a picture/video of him doing so. Then the dashcam was conveniently provided by the guard and he resigned and went missing. 

Hmmmm I got to rewatch that - you might be right, it might be the school teacher. Then the guard managed to completely escape??? Damnn...

Edit: Went to rewatch - it looks like it could be the teacher with his hair cut shorter, but the shouting voices are quite different. I think I would lean towards it being the guard based on the voice.

• Like 3

i have mix feelings about the ending..i feel like it should have ended at ep 19.. a great drama nevertheless! this drama really opens up my eye about being a parent lol..  when i hv kids in the future, i'll make sure to watch this drama again!

• Like 5

"When I first joined the drama, I thought that the drama would do well because there's so many good seniors attached to the drama. When I auditioned, I received the script and I felt so friendly and relatable towards the character Woo Joo so I tried my best. At first, I auditioned for various characters. I auditioned for Woo Joo, Seo Joon, and Ki Joon. I was most attracted to Woo Joo's character. I think the director liked how I seem bright and my cute vibes the most. In reality, I'm not as bright or have a gentle charm like Woo Joo but my sense of responsibility is similar to him because I've promoted in the entertainment industry since I was young. Woo Joo is kind of a boring character but I'm funny. 

SKY Castle has recording a rating of 23.2% and created a nationwide syndrome but Chan Hee said, "A lot of people don't recognize me. I think they're more curious about the suspect than me so I don't really feel it (the drama' popularity)." 

According to Chan Hee, the hardest scenes to film was the kiss scene and the jail scene, the actor said, "I was so taken aback after receiving the script. I thought, are we allowed to suddenly kiss like this? I think it was a scene that was really needed and important because it was a scene where Hye Na was trying to provoke Ye Seo's jealousy. I was taken aback while filming, it was hard. I was on the receiving end but I was still nervous. I think that feeling of nervousness mixed well with the lines. I'm thankful cause she did so well. I just stayed still, Bo Ra nuna (Hye Na) did everything. For the jail scenes, I purposely licked my lips a lot and because I didn't sleep, my lips were chapped. I also told the sunbaes (about the lips and not sleeping), they said I'm someone who works hard and I'm also foolish. During that time, Lee Tae Ran sunbae was also struggling."

The topic of Lee Tae Ran, Choi Won Young, and Chan Hee's family being too idealistic came up. Especially, at the beginning, Lee Tae Ran's character was involved in a controversy for being an 'inconvenient character'. On this topic, Chan Hee said, "I thought isn't she a character that's needed in this type of society. She's a really perfect mother. Because she's so perfect, I think the viewers felt somewhat of a difference. Isn't good to have a perfect person like that. My mother is a warm person. She's an active person. She's a really good mother and person. Lee Tae Ran really took care of me like her son on the set. She gave me hot packs and on my birthday, she wrote me a letter and said, "Thanks for being my son". I remember tearing up and sending her a text saying, "Thank you for being my mom." The three of us has talked about this a lot. Choi Won Young said, "Our family is so perfect. It's harmonious". Even the script feels harmonious but because we also act like that so it feels too much so we talked often about how we have to do lines where we spit things out. Lee Tae Ran also said similar things. I took in the sunbaes' words. I received a lot of help from the two of them. I asked for advice for the scene where I break the flower pot, they told me, "Put in strength in the line you want." I put in strength in the line, "Dad, you're the one who killed Hye Na" so I think that's why it felt animated so I was happy." 

When asked what kind of son he is in real life, Chan Hee said, "To be honest, I'm not a great son. I don't call often but I do think about my mother often but there hasn't been a lot of times where I travel with her. If time allows it, I want to spend a lot of time with my parents and sibling. I wasn't good at studying. In elementary school, I got 100s on midterms and finals but the score went down a bit after I entered middle school."

1. [+1710, -195] I don't understand people who richard simmons on Woo Joo's mom, she's the best mom but the characters who deserve richard simmons are Kwak Mi Hyang and Kim Joo Young but they're compassionate towards the murderers (in the drama) because they're empathetic towards them, does that mean that they live like Kwak Mi Hyang in real life since they're talking richard simmons about Woo Joo's family who are compassionate, upright, and righteous?

2. [+759, -21] would you 
↪ [+75, -감0] Seriously who said "Give me water" = "It's Woo Joo" ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ (t/n: The scene where Hye Na is in the hospital, she said "Give me water" but people who "read" lips said she's saying, "It's Woo Joo" LOLOL)

3. [+370, -12] The words where she said, "I'm sorry that he's not my biological son, I'm sorry I didn't give birth to him" was really deafening. I sobbed

4. [+233, -19] The girl he liked for two years was trying to report about leaked test papers and died, he was in prison for a few months - Han Seo Jin, who knew the truth behind the case and kept it secret, apologized but would you just accept the apology like nothing happened? Isn't that funnier? It's not like he's buddha ㅋㅋ He even apologized to Ye Seo for getting mad at her parents because he couldn't control his emotions then - why exactly is Woo Joo getting shitted on...

5. [+150, -12] Our Woo Joo... Can mom write a story about your prison life!???

6. [+112, -6] He's good at acting but I think it'll be even better if he fixes his pronunciation a bit. He was in charge of cringy lines - and I enjoyed watching his crying acting as he controlled his facial expressions and suppressed his emotions but in episode 19, you can feel like the scene where he shouted was a bit lacking but if those detailed emotions improve a bit I think he'll be able to grow into a good actor! I'm supporting you!     
  • Like 5

Hey Chingus, I can't believe another great drama ended! I am a little bit slow on posting about my comments on the last episode because I fell sick and was bedridden. ): It was the worst feeling. 

But I made some time to finish reading the book The Other Shore, which is The Heart Sutra translated by Thich Nhat Hanh, and to watch the last episode. While reading about The Other Shore, I thought about Sky Castle at the back of the head

And when I watched the last episode, lo and behold, when the four moms catch up on each other and their family members, 

Woojoo's mom shares Woojoo's most recent text saying, "The greater your suffering, the greater your enlightenment is." 

He suffered in prison and now he's on a path to enlightenment. I am so happy for him and I admire him for telling his parents that he decided to drop school! Grades and university doesn't mean anything. What matters is to anchor down beliefs, values and viewpoints. 

It takes the evil to know what the good is. In The Other Shore, there is a story about Māra, the evil demon, going to Buddha and asking Buddha how to be like as good as him. Interestingly, Buddha's helper blocks Māra from seeing Buddha because the helper deems Māra as simply evil. Buddha eventually hears the ruckus and allows Māra to see him. And now, here is the exchanged conversation between the two of them. 

(Resource The Other Shore by Thich Nhat Hanh Pg 59)

Mara said, "Things are not going well at all. I am tired of being Māra. I want to be something else — maybe someone like you. Wherever you go you are welcome, people bow before you and make offerings."

Mara said, "You know, being a Māra is not a very easy thing to do. If you talk, you have to talk in riddles. If you do anything, you have to be tricky and look evil. I am very tired of all that. But what I cannot bear is my disciples. They are now talking about social justice, peace, equality, liberation, nonduality, nonviolence, all of that. Before, they used to listen to everything I told them. Now they are in revolt. The commanders of my army are demanding to do sitting meditation. Can you believe it? They want to practice mindfulness, do walking meditation, eat in silence, protect life, protect the environment and the Earth. They are driving me made. I do not know who is influencing them. I have had enough of it. I think that it would be better if I hand them all over to you. I want to be something else. Maybe we could change roles."

The Buddha listened attentively and was filled with compassion. Finally he said in a quiet voice, "Do you think it's fun being a Buddha? You don't know what my disciples have done to me! They put words into my mouth that I never said. They build garish temples and put statues of me on altars in order to attract bananas and oranges and sweet rice, just for themselves. And they package me and make my teaching into an item of commerce.  Māra, if you knew what it is really like to be a Buddha, I am sure you wouldn't want to be one." 

In parallel to this Buddhist story, it took Coach Kim to show how far the parents were taking themselves and their children on the path of greediness. That path of greed was mixed in with money, status and social power. Coach Kim, like Māra, in prison pointed out what KMH did wrong to Kang Hye Na. She listened to everything and reflected upon what harm she inflicted onto Kang Hye Na. Her telling her husband and bringing the family to see Kang Hye Na was a big step. It was her last moment before enlightenment. And this is what makes KMH different from Coach Kim, too. KMH let go of status and social power, she realized what was true happiness for her children, her husband, and herself. On the other hand, Coach Kim held onto status, social power, and money and still wanted to harm her own daughter, Kay. What was relieving was when we see the Kang family in one car enjoying their moment of family time and the camera pans out showing KMH smiling widely with ease.

To sum it all up, @alleram95 beautifully mentioned what she learned from this drama, "Happiness can not be bought by money. Money might have bring happiness, but it won't never enough to make you enjoy your life and nor to erase bad memories no matter how hard you try it. All the happiness that you felt from the money were just an instant happiness." By the way, your other points were so beautifully written! I think they are quite spot on on Buddhist thinking which is quite interesting. 

On the other hand, I am so glad Woojoo's mom finally punished her book! She even mentions that writing her book for the kids makes her the happiest! I love that all of the moms were about to laugh out the silliness of the petition they made. That is when I know all the moms have grown together. 

@justamom, thanks for sharing your vulnerability and letting us know what you have learned from this drama. I just want you to know that you are already a great mother. You do not have to be a better mom the very next day. The fact that you are much aware of your feelings and external actions/thoughts is already a great step. What I suggest from the perspective of a child is to find what the child truly wants like Woojoo's mom! That has to do with a lot of communication. 

I have a language barrier with my mother and so there are moments when I get angry with her. But reading about Buddhism has taught me to be aware of my feelings/thoughts, think inwardly and reflect. I try to communicate with my mom as much as possible. Every day is a baby step. My mom has trouble with her anger management and tone of voice; I learned to not take it personally and like to think that she is dealing with something else that is stressful. I realized that instead of getting angry at her, I express my feelings and thoughts to her. Unexpected moments are the hugs she gives me whenever she apologizes to me! In my culture, we rarely hug so it means a lot! And...my mom has quite a big ego (sort of like Professor Cha) so it takes a lot from her to apologize. I hope this perspective helps you! let me know if you have any questions!

Chingus I am sorry that this post was so long, but hope to meet you all in another drama thread!

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1

From start to finish I watch this show and it was awesome excellent.the acting, the actors, the younger actors, the story, the characters, the director, even cinematography and the music. This drama deserve every acoldate and success. Critical and commercial success.

DB did not recap this ep by ep (not sure why and what's their criteria) but  I see there's a series review.

It's  a long review so read all->  http://www.dramabeans.com/2019/02/sky-castle-series-review/

• Like 4
  • Love 1

I wish Hye Na didn't die, and ended up in a coma instead :( I cried in that hospital scene

the Cha family is hilarious :lol: That huge pyramid and the cringey text message... I also find it funny seeing people fight each other (catfights?) it reminded me of Woman of Dignity and that one episode of Man Who Sets the Table :smirk:

I forgot what was Coach Kim watching on her computer screen in the early episode? I kinda ship her and Jo in that last episode.

for some reason the actor playing Woo Joo sort of reminds me of Lee Min Ho.

• Like 3

I have just started this drama, and it is good!!! Question, did Yeongju sleep with Coach Kim?? From ep 2 ending, it seems like she did, that's why she got slapped by the short hair mom.

edit: So, she encourage him to take revenge on his parents, soooo wrong Coach Kim!!!

• Confused 1

Hi guys! I'm looking for the English translations of their character profiles in this poster? Is this translated somewhere?

Sky-Castle-Poster1.jpg

• Like 1