[Drama 2018-2019] SKY Castle, SKY 캐슬

0ly40

Even a great show has come to end...

DyVngaoUYAABEP1.jpg

What I can learn from watching this drama:

- All the characters are really humane with their flaws and fault. People have their own ambition and they have different ways to achieve it. Whether the path they took is right or wrong, it would affect them in the middle or maybe at the end of the path they chose. 

- What others said to us might influenced any actions that we will took, but we have the choice to listen or to ignore it. Before we make the choice, we have to be sure that we will ready with any result that will happen, either is is good or bad.

- Happiness can not be bought by money. Money might have bring happiness, but it won't never enough to make you enjoy your life and nor to erase bad memories no matter how hard you try it. All the happiness that you felt from the money were just an instant happiness. 

Thank you for the beautiful stories, memories and feelings, Sky Castle.
It's been a great journey.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

I'm so disappointed with the ending. Kwak Mi Huang got off too easily  but at least the wicked Kim is in prison with her minion. 

They dropped the ball for me and I even ordered UBER EAT to watch the ep what a waste of food, I would have been better off watching netflix, thats how much I mad about Kwak Mi Huang getting away with being so wicked through the whole drama until ep 19 :rage:

• Like 3

@effy1994

I agree. The ending was way too "clean", a tad unnecessary if ya ask me. It should've ended at ep.19 tbh. In fact this drama went south real quick the moment they killed off Hye-Na..

Thought the scene where the students tossed papers in defiance to the teacher was a rip off of Dead Poets Society.

I watched the finale raw. It looks like the coach is back next season to raise hell again (I could be wrong; need subs to confirm) And Ye-Suh moves out, Sky Castle gets a new neighbor. Despite that I think it brought up the conversation on what families truly mean and how you should always stick to your instincts. That and having perfect scores doesn't equal/bode well to a individual's wellbeing. 

• Like 4

I just finished the raw final episode.

I found 3 metaphoric scenes that the writer / director embedded in this finale that for me are very meaningful (maybe just me). 

First one is the long focus to white chrysanthemum. I found out that in flower's language, that flower symbolizes devoted love. It represents happiness, longevity and joy, which is highly emphasized theme in this finale. Even the word "happy / happiness" is repeated many times in the dialogues. It marks the turning point in each of the family's life and perspectives..especially the Kangs who embark on their new journey to attain happiness rather than status or glory. 

Second is the book's title. "Annyeong, SKY castle" seems like a goodbye from everyone who involved in the drama to viewers, and to the drama itself. I found that is kinda witty of the writer to give the book's title like that. Haha! I think in way, the writer maybe had accidentally encountered an unpopular book that fictioning about the real event occurred. Or, she might be the person who really wrote the unpopular book (i.e., she was Lim Soo Im). I never searched the writer's background, but either way, salute to the writer-nim! You jjang!

Third is the final scene where i think many may misunderstood that KJY is back to ruin other's family life. It depends on one's interpretation. In my opinion, it's such a good metaphor that symbolizes there are other "KJY" out there doing the same context of despicable brainwashing to the students (i.e., brilliant "codi" that uses every means possible to get the student accepted to SKY), just like they shows that there is always another HSJ in the society especially among elites, who might succumb to their greed and eventually destroy their own children / family (the new person that moved into HSJ castle).

Perhaps not everyone like the ending and each one is subject to their own opinion. For me, the finale episode is heartwarming and full of meaningful moral values..and it's realistic. Most importantly, they gave such a great portrayal that we all are just  imperfect human being, we make mistakes and wrong choices, and that is why we are always have the chance to change or repent wherever we are until death knock on our door, be it freely in the outside world or in the prison.. Because not anyone can change even they serve many years in prison..not anyone do try to correct their wrongs even on death bed. In the end, it comes back to the person's will to change that make a different in the future, although they can't change the past. 

Anyway, the time I invested to watch this drama is all worth it. It was a great and enjoyable ride. I kinda feel relieved that the writer did not turn this drama into makjang with the daughter being switched as hypothesized by netizens. Phewwh! :rolleyes:

I must say.. Congatulations to the writer, all the actors and actresses as well as the production team! You guys rock! Jjang daebak~~!:thumbsup:

• Like 4
  • Insightful 3

"Sometimes we laugh and easily cry"

"Alright..it's the..it's the end"

"Is this really true?" (x3)

It's already past 5 a.m. I will share my review on the finale and overall drama later after I have been deeply analyzing and organizing my thoughts.

However, I am impressed with the final scene that shows the briefing about academic coaching and Kim Joo Young (the real one or metaphorical figure). The world still runs like usual. The main family in the drama may change, but it does not mean everything has changed. We should not expect changes occur drastically just because of a drama, book or figure. What matters is our beliefs and manifestation in our social circle. Changes begin with ourselves, then our family and friends. We have to keep our idealism for bigger picture of change in society, but at the same time being realistic in order to survive in this challenging world.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, justamom said:

This show isn’t a whodunnit and the characters have been remarkably consistent from start to finish - consistently human and imperfect - so I don’t know why people were expecting a twist. The murder mystery was basically all wrapped up by episode 18.

Well, I guess the twist is that Coach Kim, after she's out of jail, is still a sought-after Coach!

Did she learn anything? Did she change? Is she still a she-devil? That tight bun and smirk and her "Neo in Matrix" outfit is saying PERHAPS NOT.

The last moments of the show ended like a horror movie, with me clutching my throw pillow screaming, "Ahhh, I'm so scared!"

I think the lesson is that although the main SKY Castle families learned their lesson and rose above all this, the rest of the world is still as ruthless and competitive as ever, and that will never change. :lol: 

I'm sure a background check (not to mention Soo-Im's book, and the news) will reveal that Coach Kim was convicted for being an accessory to murder, but I'll bet they do not care because she gets results.

• Like 4

Haven't watched but have read spoilers here.  If the ending was what was portrayed in the comments above and seemed nebulous, it was probably intentional on the writer's part.  I don't think it's her defeatist way of saying that 'nothing changes', what she's likely trying to tell us is that 'the ball is in your court now, you have all the information, be the change that you want to see in the world'.  Good dramas do that.  They leave audiences with a thought, a perspective change.  It may not be HUGE but it is a change nonetheless.  Little changes, like @justamom in the homefront when dealing with kids - kudos to you.  Or bigger ones eventually with Korean moms perhaps reassessing how hard they push their children to 'succeed' academically.  All big changes have small beginnings.  It takes one drop to cause a ripple through the lake.  Don't ever think that the little you do is of no consequence, it is of significance within your reality and likely the reality of the other you are relating with.  I will wait for subs to come out before watching.  Thanks all for the conversations.  It's been a great ride. :)

• Like 5

what a ride!!! 

the last episode may have been too full of laughter and sugary scenes especially since we've been used to high level twists, but thankfully all the ends were wrapped up... no rushing the finale... unlike other dramas I will not name :D. I will never have to create fantasies and theories about what happened to the characters.

Prof. Cha remained a hoot to the end. That text he sent was the equivalent of the Drunken Truth song:D, and a realistic wrap up for his character.

50 minutes ago, nrllee said:

I don't think it's her defeatist way of saying that 'nothing changes', what she's likely trying to tell us is that 'the ball is in your court now, you have all the information, be the change that you want to see in the world'

I agree. Realistically, will things change at a national and policy level? Probably not. Hence the scene with the VVIPs coming in for the consultation. It's a case of Rinse.Repeat, but the residents of SKY Castle know better and they laugh when the new resident tells them of her education plans. Can parents in Korea make a change with their own children? Yes. The ball is in their court now. 

The drama has made me think seriously about education. There's a lot I took for granted in my view of education, and hopefully I can make better decisions than I would have if I hadn't ever watched the show.

Ratings at  24.37% Seoul and 23.77 national. I had hoped for 25% but this is better than I expected when I started the drama.

JTBC have another promising drama coming in April called Beautiful World (same timeslot) that promises to be an issue-driven,  adults drama. I'm looking forward to it.

• Like 6

Wished if Yeh Suh Dad had a deep conversation with his daughter! since what happened l, his scenes were only with the mom ! 

I Know it is a heavy drama so the wrap up of things would be difficult but to me it’s kind of below my expectations.. Anyway I have to say it’s one of most recognizable works of Kdrama Land & salute to everyone who has helped in bringing us this masterpiece   :thumbsup::kiss_wink:

• Like 6

1 hour ago, africandramalover said:

Prof. Cha remained a hoot to the end. That text he sent was the equivalent of the Drunken Truth song:D, and a realistic wrap up for his character.

Oh, Prof. Cha. Ha ha.

He was so proud of his perfect spelling on his drunken text. Never change, Prof. Cha!

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

Just finished watching with subs.... Great drama!! I think I watched this last episode with a wet face all the way :P

I love the wrap up. Very realistic. The ending was great, reminding us that things have not changed, it's still a perpetual battle out there.

I love that we still see the reluctant change of Prof.Cha, because there is no way he would change so easily, but he's getting there and trying very very hard to change, lol.

I love that LSI is taking care of Kay, and we know that Kay is in good care. She seems to be so happy where she lives now. I am not understanding something though. Is that girl with Kay the one that YJ likes? The one who used to live with the family?

Appreciate and agree with what you've written above @justamom @ellelyana88 @Ahmad Kamil @nrllee @africandramalover so I will not quote your post again here.

• Like 5

Finished Ep20 with subs as well, and tbh, I loved the first 10 mins of it, when KJY was telling HSJ, you had a part to play in HyeNa's death too. KJY was definitely not in the right, but I feel that someone had to tell HSJ those facts. This feeds back to WJ's scene when he asked HSJ if she had apologised to HyeNa. Somewhere along the line, she forgot that HyeNa was just a teenager, all alone in the world, and has been fending for herself for so long. Sometimes, words can be more powerful than action. She didn't push HyeNa over the railing, but she pushed HyeNa off the cliff with her words. HSJ needed a waking up call as well then, that she had been just as much as monster as KJY, so that she could really change after she's accepted that fact.

I didn't really like the WooJoo ending though. I kept thinking what kind of message was this bringing by letting students drop out of high school just to find out what kind of life and what kind of person he wants to be. His lines were too preachy and unrealistic. Moreover, with just a few months left to graduate, he should have just graduated first, and repay his parents' efforts for bringing him up and putting him through school. I can understand delaying university, but I draw the line there. Moreover, they forgot what HyeNa had been striving for, which was to rid the school of the elite class. Could he not have spent the last few months, trying to achieve what HyeNa was aiming for instead? I know things in school won't change that fast, but I rather have that than the scene of the seniors skipping school. I can understand YeSeo's story in dropping out cause at least she's still studying to finish her GED but Woojoo... hmmmm... nah.

At the end, everyone was happy but I just felt so much sadness and pity for HyeNa. It wasn't shown explicitly, but all the little scenes showed it was the guard that pushed her (which i thought phew at least it wasn't suicide cause there would be even more gaps in the story if so...). Like some k-netz said, the privileged became happy at the expense of the least privileged character on the show, who died over exams. I liked the moment the Kang family went to visit her and YeSeo acknowledging her as her sister, but that broke my heart... What it could have been.... 

Overall, it's still  a great drama and I'm glad I jumped on this bandwagon when I heard the ratings were soaring. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, herina_90 said:

I didn't really like the WooJoo ending though. I kept thinking what kind of message was this bringing by letting students drop out of high school just to find out what kind of life and what kind of person he wants to be. His lines were too preachy and unrealistic. Moreover, with just a few months left to graduate, he should have just graduated first, and repay his parents' efforts for bringing him up and putting him through school. I can understand delaying university, but I draw the line there. Moreover, they forgot what HyeNa had been striving for, which was to rid the school of the elite school. Could he not have spent the last few months, trying to achieve what HyeNa was aiming for instead? I know things in school won't change that fast, but I rather have that than the scene of the seniors skipping school. I can understand YeSeo's story in dropping out cause at least she's still studying to finish her GED but Woojoo... hmmmm... nah.

I thought hard about this point too... like, will I be able to allow my children not finish high school? I'm not the kind of person who will push for excellent grade, but in today's society, at least finish high school so you can survive in earning some decent living. So yeah, him leaving the country to find "the purpose of life" made me questioned the choice too... I mean, traveling like that requires not a little bit expenses.... where would he get the money from? His parents, right? That's not the way to spend the hard-earned money....??

But then again, maybe jail time really does something to a person, that I held back from commenting about it until you brought it up. I just concluded that it was really understanding, kind and generous of the parents to provide money for him to do so. Maybe they have lots of money to spare for such purpose. I know I wouldn't be able to allow myself to do so. And it's hard not to mention that the reason why his parents would have that kind of money to spare is back to the father being an excellent student who ended up with excellent career as a doctor. Otherwise, forget about traveling Europe. Probably even a trip to Jeju Island is a luxury... no? So studying hard and finishing school properly is indeed important.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

But then again, maybe jail time really does something to a person, that I held back from commenting about it until you brought it up. I just concluded that it was really understanding, kind and generous of the parents to provide money for him to do so. Maybe they have lots of money to spare for such purpose. I know I wouldn't be able to allow myself to do so. And it's hard not to mention that the reason why his parents would have that kind of money to spare is back to the father being an excellent student who ended up with excellent career as a doctor. Otherwise, forget about traveling Europe. Probably even a trip to Jeju Island is a luxury... no? So studying hard and finishing school properly is indeed important.

Maybe the jail time did trigger something in him... but it still didn't sit right with me to not at least finish high school. Especially comparing it to YeSeo, HyeNa - YeSeo essentially gave up her place in school to get him out of jail, and before the whole revenge plot started, HyeNa was studying hard for her future. She had to resort to manipulative tactics to pay for her mother's hospital bills, so I think she understood how hard it was to make a decent living. You are right - WooJoo is really lucky he has very understanding and rich parents. At the end as well,  we didn't really get to see how Woo Joo was "finding himself" because honestly the photo sent to YeSeo, just looked like he was playing around and having fun. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, herina_90 said:

I didn't really like the WooJoo ending though. I kept thinking what kind of message was this bringing by letting students drop out of high school just to find out what kind of life and what kind of person he wants to be. His lines were too preachy and unrealistic. Moreover, with just a few months left to graduate, he should have just graduated first, and repay his parents' efforts for bringing him up and putting him through school. I can understand delaying university, but I draw the line there. Moreover, they forgot what HyeNa had been striving for, which was to rid the school of the elite class. Could he not have spent the last few months, trying to achieve what HyeNa was aiming for instead? I know things in school won't change that fast, but I rather have that than the scene of the seniors skipping school. I can understand YeSeo's story in dropping out cause at least she's still studying to finish her GED but Woojoo... hmmmm... nah.

2 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

While I like the ending in general, but if I am to point out particular part(s) that I don't like about is WooJoo's decision to drop out school while he only has few months left to graduate. However, I restraint myself from commenting because of the same thought that perhaps serving jail time does something to a person. So, I think positively from WooJoo's personality that he may not ask money from his parents except for the air tickets, and he works for his expenses oversea. Many travelers do that and there is this thing called couchsurfing too. I think he chose to find himself by travelling oversea because he want to escape the general Korean mind set about school and education, because anywhere he will be going to within the country, people will keep asking him why is he travelling instead of in school at his age. However, I still don't condone his act of dropping out school when there are only few months left. He can go after graduation though, even without being the top. I agree to the comment here that, if he does think about Hyena, he would have put an effort to fulfill Hyena wish to eliminate the elite extra-class in school. That way, it could have change a bit what the future hold for their juniors to compete in a fair environment, at least in school.

Another is the part where CKJ/CSJ and the other classmates throwing the test papers and stormed out the classroom without showing at least last respect to their teacher. I know the teacher being a jerk making the students to chant about not going to SKY, they would not be treated as human. *Facepalm* So, except for SKY, those that going to other university that well-known for their field are not treated as human then?? KAIST? Ewha Uni? Hanyang Uni? Those people are not human then? But, CKJ and CSJ could have act better by at least bow to their teacher before walk out the classroom, that way, the others will follow to at least bow to their teachers instead of just making faces.

The main reason I dislike these particular part is because it may be interpreted wrongly by the students who watched this drama. I afraid, while this drama shows the students disregard their teacher because of what he said, may snowballed into the society where the students started to just disregard and disrespect their teachers purely out of their discontent instead, even though the one who do wrong is them. This drama has been accused once instigating a murder of a health personnel. Showing such disrespectful act in such detailed scene may inspire the students to do the same, as they would only remember that particular throwing papers act without acknowledging the fact that the teacher did say something ridiculous in the first place that drive CKJ to his fury. I remember reading someone here said that he/she want to turn off the tv when they show the paper-throwing scene. Any parents would have feel the same way, I think. The execution was poorly done in my opinion. They could at least show the students respectfully decline to continue the class and walk out in a more decent manner. Maybe when the teacher chasing them, CKJ could have turn to him and said something like "sorry teacher, today we will just escape class to be with our friend who needed us at his side" and bow before walking away. haha!

Well, this is just my opinion. I hope it would not come to the downside since this drama had such high rating, thus, many people would be imprinted with the shocking scenes from the finale under different perceptions and impressions . However, I do want to applause the writer for presenting such a refreshing work to the audience, trying to breakthrough the mainstream genre and dare to discuss the society's problem with such liberated writing, elevating the quality of Kdrama for long-time fan such as myself. :glasses:

• Like 5

Yep, as expected, it took the fall of the 'castles' to make everyone come to their senses. Unfortunately, it was a day late and a dollar short because it cost Hye Na her life.

Actually, I found the ending to be too neatly tied up.  All the families were portrayed as having learnt their lesson, and is now valuing the simple joys of being a  family over achievements. 

I, especially, found it problematic for SJ's family to adjust and change so drastically, easily and quickly.  They, of all the families, needed to do a lot more introspection of their actions and motives. After all,  they are the family that did the most harm to others.  Instead, they are shown to smile and act as if all the pain and harm they caused is yesterday's news and is no longer of consequence.  

And, SJ is the foremost character that needs to do a lot of soul-searching and atonement for her actions. I loved when Coach Kim said to SJ, during the prison visit, about her also being responsible for Hye Na's death.  SJ thought she had redeemed herself because she  revealed everything to the police. She, conveniently, forgot that she had been a willingly partner to Coach Kim's schemes.  And, she manipulated Coach Kim by goading her.  Exactly like Coach Kim's methods.

I think the finale would have had a stronger impact if there had been a break-up in one family. Instead of all the families resolving their issues and making up.  Preferably, that one family would be the Cha family because of Professor being so wedded to his creed on life and style of raising his children.

It's ironic that they talk about finding themselves.  As if it is something that is accomplished by going on a trip.  Finding one's self is an everyday occurrence.  Every time we make a decision or choose a path to take, we are defining the person we are. 

Historically, one purpose for going away to college was to find one's self.  No need to drop out of high school to accomplish that goal.

Check out this very appropriate article:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/22/magazine/my-sons-tutor-slipped-me-entrance-exam-questions-should-i-report-him.html?emc=edit_ma_20190126&nl=magazine&nlid=7276671420190126&te=1Nonetheless

And, the book mentioned in the article:

https://www.bookdepository.com/Ill-Gotten-Gains-Leo-Katz/9780226425948

Notwithstanding my preference for a stronger finale, this was an excellent drama. And, if there were a superlative greater than excellent, that would be the description of the acting.  Bravo!

Edited by Auntie Mame
  • Like 13

@ellelyana88 my blood boils when the teacher said if you don't go to SKY, you won't be treated as human... I wanted CKJ to ask him whether he himself graduated from SKY. If not, then why should they listen to him? Kinda like "walk the talk". I guess I would've done the same thing as what they did, so that scene didn't bother me too much. Until you mentioned how it could set a bad example for younger viewers, which I agree. But anyway, it was realistic in that not the whole class went out, a few students remained in the class. 

• Like 5