[Drama 2018-2019] SKY Castle, SKY 캐슬

0ly40

13 hours ago, herina_90 said:

Hide contents

That epilogue though!! I saw some comments thinking HyeNa was still alive, but I'm pretty sure that's more likely a scene from the past. How are they going to build this into unravelling the final story as to how HyeNa died. I'm so intrigued but have to wait another week?? Seriously daebak Sky Castle writers! They really know how to reel the viewers in to tune in next week.

Spoiler

I was thinking that the epilogue was Ye suh's mom hallucinating that it was HyeNa. Because eventually after we see the scene of HyeNa, I think there is a quick glimpse that it is actually Ye Suh. (I could be wrong though.)

Something about Coach Kim is definitely going to make Ye suh's mom worry and feel guilt from Hye Na's guilt. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, alleram95 said:

Why can't they give Yebin more lines? Hers are very refreshing and opening others' mind effectively.. *clap* *clap* *clap*

Yebin to her mom : What is the use for me taking the tutor class? What should I study? Because I can get the perfect score after stealing the exam papers

Yebin to her grandmother : If you really want it, then you should be the one who go there (to the university)

YESSSS. I AGREEEE. Yebin definitely has the best lines. 

I wish there were more scenes of Yebin, too. 

She has that spunk and confidence ever since episode 1. She's different from all those other girls and she even dresses differently. Initially I thought she followed her dad's step of being different in the family.

But she proved me wrong especially when she pointed out her dad's wrongdoing in an earlier episode and remarked to her grandmother's wrongdoing in this episode. GIRLLLL POWER. WE NEED MORE YEBINS IN THIS WORLD. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, ponderings said:

Hide contents

I was thinking that the epilogue was Ye suh's mom hallucinating that it was HyeNa. Because eventually after we see the scene of HyeNa, I think there is a quick glimpse that it is actually Ye Suh. (I could be wrong though.)

Something about Coach Kim is definitely going to make Ye suh's mom worry and feel guilt from Hye Na's guilt. 

Spoiler

I went to rewatch it to check if I missed anything, but I thought it is still HyeNa, because that was YeBin's room and given YeSeo and YeBin in all honesty don't look that close, I can't imagine YeSeo being there. 

I feel like Coach Kim might be alluding to how even though HSJ was not the one to push HyeNa, she is not free from all guilt in how she treated HyeNa (well, I guess they were both terrible to each other to be fair), how she hid the fact that HyeNa was KJS's daughter, etc etc. She helped create a rather toxic environment for both kids, at the misguided advise from Coach Kim, so it's not like she's free from all doings.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, herina_90 said:

Reveal hidden contents

I went to rewatch it to check if I missed anything, but I thought it is still HyeNa, because that was YeBin's room and given YeSeo and YeBin in all honesty don't look that close, I can't imagine YeSeo being there. 

I feel like Coach Kim might be alluding to how even though HSJ was not the one to push HyeNa, she is not free from all guilt in how she treated HyeNa (well, I guess they were both terrible to each other to be fair), how she hid the fact that HyeNa was KJS's daughter, etc etc. She helped create a rather toxic environment for both kids, at the misguided advise from Coach Kim, so it's not like she's free from all doings.

Spoiler

Aaah I see! And it was Yeh Bin who runs to her mom and says it's Hye Na! 

Haha. I guess I was imaging things haha. 

It is so nerve wrecking that Coach Kim hasn't learned anything especially with what she has been through with Kay. 

I wonder how the ending is going to draw out after she guilt trips Yeh suh's mom!

-------------------

By the way, is it a coincidence that the drama Encounter/Boyfriend and also this drama mentions innocence, children and The Little Prince? I think it's a sign that I need to read the story especially when both of these dramas are my favorite. haha 

• Like 4

Haven't watched coz I am away but have been reading spoilers   :lol:.  Now that Prof Cha is left on his own...I am wondering if he's the one involved in HyeNa's death?  Did they determine the security guard was the one who pushed her?  Or was he just the one who filmed it from his car?  I know I sound like a broken record...haha... it still seems strange that despite everything he's still not waking up to himself... and writer has already eased the blow for the rest of the Cha family when they moved out and started a new life without him.  I guess all will be revealed next week.

• Like 5

I just finished watching ep.19.... Cried so much, esp. the part when SJ was talking to YS and both of them come to agreement about the right thing to do. I can imagine how devastating and how difficult it is for them to make the decision but they did, so proud of them! 

And then the part of Coach Kim with Kay... it is heartbreaking too, and I'm glad the curry was not consumed. I was so worried when Kay just started to use her hands to scoop the food into her mouth. Glad it didn't happen. Don't know what will happen to her since Kim is in jail, but I sure hope Jo will get her into proper therapy session. 

Lots of awesome shooting angles also this episode. Can't wait for the final episode!

• Like 5

1 minute ago, jeijei said:

If you laughed at the curry scene, you're a horrible person, but you also have a great sense of humor. Let's be friends. 

I did laugh, but not during the scene when Kay scoop the curry, but during the scene showing hands cutting vegetables, pouring cooking oil and simmering the curry... until they show the back of Coach Kim taking the pills from the cabinet - I died! I really thought it was some curry  brand's commercial break! :joy:

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

Don't know what will happen to her since Kim is in jail, but I sure hope Jo will get her into proper theraphy session. 

I think this is what drove Coach Kim to the idea of killing them both - the knowing that once she and her organisation is gone, there's no one to take care of Kay. But, why isn't Mr Jo arrested too? Is he not considered an accomplice to this whole exam stealing affair? He was right there when they passed HSJ the third year test papers.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Insightful 1

Interesting how we can be a destroyer to one person, yet be a savior to another.

I had guess that Jo's dedication to Coach Kim had a history along the lines of her saving him.

So, now, the question is whether or not he would have killed on her behalf.  :huh:

• Like 3

9 hours ago, herina_90 said:

I think this is what drove Coach Kim to the idea of killing them both - the knowing that once she and her organisation is gone, there's no one to take care of Kay. But, why isn't Mr Jo arrested too? Is he not considered an accomplice to this whole exam stealing affair? He was right there when they passed HSJ the third year test papers.

She is so selfish and I am glad in the end she prevented Kay from eating the poisoned curry. (Darn, that kind of curry dish is one of my comfort food!)

I won't consider what Kim has been doing as taking care of Kay. She is so ashamed of her that she kept her hidden like that when the right and proper thing to do is get Kay into therapy as soon as she woke up from her coma. 

We don't know yet if Jo will be implicated or not. Probably not for murder but for stealing exam paper. 

• Like 3

Hello everyone, I just wrote here, but I've seen this group for a long time.

Honestly when I saw the first treaser of Sky Castle I wasn't very interested.

But when Hyena began to appear in the drama I began to see this drama.

The character of Hyena is very interesting, one time I cheated her but one time I

really liked her. Honestly, I can say the character of Hyena is like oil which

makes small fires grow so that this drama is more interesting. I am sad that

many people hate Hyena, but I can understand that. I'm glad some people understand

hyenas as I think, including Woojo. I cried when the Kang Couple scene knelt in

front of Woojo, not because of Kang Couple say sorry words but because of Woojo's words.

He expressed his frustration as to why Hyena had to die, especially since the

Hyena died only knowing that Kim's teacher stole exam papers to increase the grade of Yesuh.

Woojo is also annoyed because it seems that Han Seo-Jin has not

sincerely apologized to Hyena. I strongly agree with Woojo, Han Seo-Jin not yet aware

that Hyena's death was also indirectly caused by her ambition.

If the prediction of Ep 20 that Hyena and Yesuh exchanged when the baby is real, I don't know what Han Seo-Jin

will be done. it must be the toughest punishment in her life

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Man this drama is exhausting! I always feel so drained, emotionally after viewing LoL. 

Out of the moms, the twins' mom is the best. I adore her especially how she kept hanging up on her husband LMFAo. She not only displays wit but compassion. Which is more than I can say for the other ladies:rolleyes: It was sad the twins had to tell their dad that they were happier without him. Ouch. 

Despite their weepy show of forgiveness, I still can't find myself to like Ye-Suh or her family! Safe maybe for Ye-Bin. I'm convinced she's adopted:P When she told off her grandma & mom I applauded YO. Hye-Na would've been proud. 

I like how Woo-Joo's dad encouraged him to do the right thing. Honestly I like that Woo-Joo said to Ye-Suh's parents that he wasn't obligated to forgive them 'cause I sure as heck would not either. 

I really don't know what curveball this drama is throwing in the finale preview but it'd interesting to see how it all works out.. 

Nice that Woo-Joo's mom referenced Dead Poets Society 'cause I felt the same too. Only difference the coach is nothing like Robin Williams' character. 

• Like 4

I cried so much watching Ep. 19.

Yesuh and her mom scene when they finally decided to disclose everything. The moment when Mr. Kang picked up his wife at the police station.

The scene of Coach Kim made curry for Kay, the soundtrack was even Pie Jesu (usually use in Requiem Mass) and the most heartbreaking is Coach Kim and Kay scene. :tears:

Can't wait for final episode. 

• Like 4

Just finished all the 19 episodes back to back over 2 days and cant tell you how much I have been involved emotionally into this drama ! It has been long time for me to be moved this much by any Asian drama for the story itself more than any other reasons! Though this drama surely is a perfection on every single element ! 

I am a doctor, so watching this drama has taken me back to many many moments of my life ! I used to Ranked first out of my school all the way from the primary till my high school, my parents are not college graduates but ever since I was kid they embraced me so never has felt any senes of being pressured to get high grades, never ever has been tutored in my life, but loved to volunteer a lot and teach others. I have loved to study for the love of the education itself, has been considered it fun to me, and despite getting good grades, was able to enjoy myself have fun and do everything I love. 

Later on when I joined medical school, things got a dramatic change ! Day by day I myself started to change without noticing that! Being living in a highly competitive environment has changed me to a person who started to care about my results, marks and grades ! I have been under a lot of stress , couldn’t find any enjoyment like I did before on studying ! I became socially isolated ! Even if I had time, I would prefer to be alone and dont hangout with friends or family ! Actually if I have time I was preferring more to do attachment / observership on hospitals and do extracurricular activities to enhance my C.V . 

I thought everything would be good by my graduation, but its not at all ! I joined the place and speciality I wanted to do, but things were stressful allover again ! I used to rank as best resident among my residency every year but honestly have not been happy because I have a feeling deep inside that I have lost myself! 

By last year, I realize that I need to be brave to find myself again despite anything or anyone ! 

I stepped back for awhile, thought about getting a break to recharge my soul. Everybody thought I am crazy to do so while I am having a successful career, but I am glad that I was brave enough to do what I wanted to do. Now I can see the results of such a decision, that I am loving myself again, loving what I am doing , and most importantly knowing what I want to do. 

So Sky Castle writer,

thanks so much for writing such a solid story, it has been a heeling journey for me watching this series. Thanks so much.

Definitely this drama gonna be among my best list of all the time, saying this and I am a Kdrama fan for 11 years.

• Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 2
  • Thanks 1

Ye Bin for the win, she never disappoints. 

Prof Cha is always good for laughs....like how deluded is he?

So glad SJ finally came to her senses and did what some of us hoped she'd do....her love for her kid won through in the end, phew.

Love that Woo Joo family told him is ok to feel how he does. He's not obligated to forgive a soul. No surprising really they've showed this openness from the very beginning.

Last Episode seems so far away....

• Like 3

2 hours ago, wangnyeo said:

Just finished all the 19 episodes back to back over 2 days and cant tell you how much I have been involved emotionally into this drama !

I am in the same boat (mostly)! I started slow, but binge-watched the rest. It is so addictive.

I'm still just half-way through 17 and my husband is at work and he asked me to not watch the rest without him.

So I am wrestling with my conscience at the moment. :lol:

So anyway, 17 is when everyone strongly suspects that Coach Kim is the murderer but no one can bring themselves to turn her in because Yeh-Seo's life will be "ruined" when they discover that she used a leaked exam to score top points. I feel like the storytelling is really good, because I can see how and why each character is struggling between the two choices, and rationalizing their own terrible behavior (so far).

I feel like this is an important story, too, socially - although I am skeptical how much effect it will have. But you have these absurdly wealthy people who can drop 100s of K's just to tutor their kid to get into SNU - and what does that mean for the rest of the "normies?" How can they compete with that?

Society is rotten if this is the only measure of "success" and that your life is worthless otherwise. Education should be for enlightenment and people should do the work that suits them and they are good at - which for some people means becoming a doctor, and for some people, it means becoming something else.

I have friends in Korea with kids, and what I can tell you is that the competition is fierce, even among those who are not wealthy. The level of obsession we see in "Sky Castle" is supposedly heightened and satirical, but it's also not too far from the truth.

I don't know what to say about Coach Kim except that the actress is great. What a perfect impersonation of the Wicked Witch of the West - down to the outfit and the cackle. (Maybe throw some water on her face and she will melt?) Anyway, she is fantastic. A really memorable performance. (My head hurts just looking at that ultra-tight bun in her hair. Yowch.)

Can't wait to catch up on this and enjoy the finale!

• Like 4

(Yonhap Interview) Actress Kim Seo-hyung's villain roles peak in 'Sky Castle'

SEOUL, Jan. 30 (Yonhap) -- The supporting role of a shameless villain in an adulterous relationship that Kim Seo-hyung played in SBS' 2009 hit drama series "Temptation of Wife" brought her out of more than 10 years of obscurity.

Since then, many more villain roles have come her way, including her cameo role in the 2018 drama series by MBC "Come and Hug Me," fixing her image on the small screen as a cold-blooded, merciless woman.

Her latest role in "Sky Castle," a black comedy and thriller by the cable channel JTBC whose final episode is set to air on Friday, has brought her villainous career to the next level.

AEN20190130011000315_01_i_P4.jpg

Kim plays Kim Joo-young, a miserable professional coordinator for college admissions who manipulates and eventually destroys rich, high-class parents in a deal with the devil to get their children admitted to the country's top medical school. Sky Castle is the name of the luxurious residential compound where Kim's clients live.

"At first, I thought I cannot do this, so I wanted to quit and run away," the 46-year-old actress said in a media interview on Tuesday, referring to the imposing challenge the latest role posed to her.

"I really did not want to create another Shin Ae-ri," Kim said, recalling her career-making role in the 2009 drama series. "I hate repeating (what I have done already). I really hate what was seen already being seen again."

"The Shin Ae-ri character in 'Temptation of Wife' made me what I am now, but at the same time, it also traumatized me," Kim said.

"The habits of Kim Seo-hyung as an actress, such as characters and voice, constantly seeped into Kim Joo-young, so I felt I could not do it. It was the first time I wanted to run away (in the middle of a series)," she said.

AEN20190130011000315_03_i_P4.jpg

Eventually, she made it to the end of the 20 episodes, immaculately and chillingly personifying the character who, having destroyed her own genius child with her desire for academic excellence, seeks revenge to bring down parents like her.

The drama series laid bare the cruelty and inhumanity of the country's blind competition to go to prestigious universities, resonating widely with the audience.

It also made TV drama series history, garnering a record-high viewer rating of 22.3 percent for a drama series aired by cable channels, according to Nielsen Korea.

The previous record was held by "Guardian: The Lonely and Great God," a fantasy romance by tvN that aired from 2016-2017 and had a viewer rating of 20.5 percent at its peak.

"Sky Castle" was so famous, even from its first episode, that the script of one of the episodes was leaked ahead of its broadcasting, leading the production team to file for a police investigation into the public leak.

news_1548736450_768859_m_3.jpg

With the sensational success of the JTBC program, every actor and actress in the show stormed into the public consciousness, led by Kim, whose steely facial expressions, fashion style and speech created a flurry of parodies on the small screen and on the Internet.

"I never, ever dreamed that I would have another heyday after 10 years," she said, attributing the success to her previous villain roles.

"The villain characters I played, including Shin Ae-ri, were, in fact, not steel-willed roles but rather pathetic characters," she said. "I cried a lot while playing the role of Kim Joo-young, (because) it made me wonder, 'Why do I have to always play poor roles that make me lonely?'"

Kim also recalled the painstaking behind-the-scene efforts she made to bring to life her "Sky Castle" character.

Spoiler

20190130095603952xqjm.jpg

"Every week, I had scenes for two or three episodes, and it took me nearly four hours to try on costumes for the episodes," Kim said.

The style of her hair, all tightly pulled back in a bun, was a major source of pain throughout all the episodes. "The frustration and rage from the headaches in the initial part of the series were beyond verbal expression," she said, adding that the pain caused her to regret her part at some points.

The massive pressure also put her on an emotional edge all throughout the shooting, barring any solid communication with actor Lee Hyun-jin, who played the role of a faithful assistant.

"The two lonely characters managed to pull through the show very well," she said with tearful eyes. "We could take our first smiling photo together only when the shooting reached the final 19th and 20th episodes."

pbr@yna.co.kr
(END)

[INTERVIEW] Kim Seo-hyung steals show

By Park Jin-hai

Neatly combed-back haired and dressed in all-black, when actress Kim Seo-hyung appears in the popular JTBC drama "SKY Castle," she steals the show with her domineering charisma and eerie, mysterious aura. 

The 45-year-old veteran actress plays cold-hearted personal counselor Kim Ju-young in the drama, who is hired by super-rich parents, who want to give their children easy tickets to the most coveted university to pass on their wealth and social status. 

"Hearing just that the drama revolves around mothers obsessed with their children's education, I was worried that it could end up being the same old soap opera with helicopter moms. But the first two episodes changed all that," the actress said during an interview with The Korea Times at a cafe in southern Seoul, Tuesday. 

"Each episode felt like a film with great cinematography and great directing. So to some extent, I forecast that it would garner good rankings. I thought it might rise to around 10 percent. But I didn't know it would be this successful."

With just one episode left to go, the 20-part black comedy mocking Korea's insane education fervor has been enjoying an explosive response from viewers. 

The drama kicked off with 1.7 percent viewership for its first episode aired Nov. 23, but its latest episode aired Sunday surged to a cable networks' record of 23.2 percent, surpassing the previous record of "Guardian: The Lonely and Great God" with 20.5 percent.
Kim is best known for her previous role as a mean woman who lures best her friend's husband in the daily drama "Temptation of Wife" (2008-2009). In this show, the villain is a woman with personal pain, responsible for ruining her prodigy daughter with her own hands. Her personal tragedy and a sense of inferiority make her use all means available to destroy the perfect-looking families so that they suffer the same pain as she does. 

"Although the scenes that I appear in were relatively shorter than other actresses, in many I had to play this important role of triggering some incident in the beginning of each episode, and developing it into the one that has potential to shred the entire family in the end," said Kim. 

The actress who says her acting has been "over-estimated," added it was a challenge to control her expression. 

"Compared with Shin Ae-ri of Temptation of Wife, who ostensibly let out her emotions; for this Ju-young character, I had to hold her pain and sufferings inside. Yet I had to retain the tension and charisma she has. So I kept on asking myself if I was playing my character right."

As the drama has been immensely popular, many fans have played a guessing game on who did what and posted their scenarios. Part of drama's script has been also leaked online as well. 

"The strength of our drama lies in a story that goes beyond imagination. It was fun to read all those fans' guessing scenarios, some of them did really make sense and were convincing, following all those small cues on the screen. But when I receive the script, it has another surprise after another," Kim said. 

The actress said all the other small details made it a great drama. "As for the selection of hair styling and clothes, they were the outcomes of careful discussions among me, my staff and director to better express the scenes and character's emotional state," she said, telling a dress fitting process sometimes lasted four to five hours. "In wearing all black, I chose a high-neck collar blouse to show her firmness, while I intentionally chose black leather in blackmailing Seo-jin, the mother of her student."

As for her charismatic roles in dramas, she said she was thankful for that, because they all made her the actress she is today. "I've bagged many similar strong female characters, but I try hard to express my characters differently," she said. "Creating a new character is a painstaking process that requires a lot of energy. So while I'm not acting, I try to empty myself and be easy with myself, so that I can play another strong female character in my next project."

Edited by Berou
Please post only 3 images per post, use the spoiler tag for the rest :)
  • Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1