[Drama 2018-2019] SKY Castle, SKY 캐슬

0ly40

Just had a thought.  From previews for next week, I wonder if Coach Kim will perform a murder/suicide?  This drama has not shied away from controversy and has been very in your face.  Sad as it is, it is a reality in life.  Parents do kill their own children in the mistaken (?) belief that their child will not be able to survive well without them.  I can understand where some of them are coming from.  Like in Coach Kim's case, faced with the prospect of a life behind bars will she perform 'mercy killing' on the disabled Kay believing that it would be her ultimate sacrifice of love?  Because she believes nobody else left in the world would do a better job of caring for Kay?  :tears:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

So I did forgo sleep :sweatingbullets:... I can't remember when was the last time I stayed up till near dawn for a drama. But I just couldn't stop! If there are more episodes, I might just stay up till daylight to finish them... I was about to stop watching but then HN fell from the balcony, and I just had to go on. 

It's really sad that HN has to die. I didn't expect the writer would really go there and was wishing every seconds that she could be saved. But I guess that is the awakening needed by Kang to choose a new way of living his life. How traumatic it must be for WJ to experience death of the girl he loves, on his birthday, and then suspected as the murderer... 

I cheered now that Cha is left by his family all alone in that empty cold house. Yet he is still in denial that he has lost. Sigh... 

Loving the camera angles and directing style of this drama. Many times they would focus on the hands, the lips, the eyes. Great production overall, the editing, BGM choice, adding to the great script. The choice of decor in Cha's house is surely deliberate also to convey the atmosphere the father is trying to create. I think we might see a revamp of the house if the family actually move back in. Just as the warmth we can feel in Hwang's house. 

The episodes after HN's death frustrates me quite a bit, until later on. I mean, being smart people, all the Hwangs were too emotional in dealing with WJ's arrest instead of thinking of strategies to find the truth. Or I guess because they're just too nice and too kind to feel anger for the injustice they're experiencing, thus can only feel anguish? The first thing I would do when confronted with the dashcam is to find out who it belongs to and run test on it whether it is fabricated or not. Instead of screaming my son is innocent, my son said he didn't do it... but I'm glad it was later addressed, although I wished it could've been earlier. Does anyone know whether in Korea they can actually put a minor in jail while receiving investigation? 

Anyway, I'm curious to find out the deal with Mr.Jo. For every episode, every time he is on screen, I always wish he finds some conscience and and courage to say something, do something. But I guess it's not time yet. Can't wait for the next episode!

• Like 5
  • LOL 1

Deserved!!! Now will wait for awards

On 1/20/2019 at 6:36 AM, Ahmad Kamil said:

Ratings finally exceeded 20%! Episode 18 records 22.316% (Metropolitan area 24.501%).

On 1/20/2019 at 6:43 AM, ponderings said:

Yesssss the drama cast and crew deserve it!!! 

On 1/20/2019 at 1:27 PM, katakwasabi said:

Congrats sky castle! Despite the script leak, they still manage to achieve 20++% ratings! Amazing!

They need to celebrate this success.  But I hope this gets recognized by awards.

20 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

I just started watching this drama. It is an amazing drama!! I love it and I truly regret not starting it earlier so I can participate in the discussion here. Am catching up with the posts in this thread as I watch the episodes. I actually have so much in my mind to say because I am very much into education. But mostly are already shared here and I am only on page 8.  

Will be quite busy for the weeks ahead so I doubt I can contribute much here. We'll see. I might just forgo some sleep time, lol...

My fave family is the Cha family too. I love the mom there. I think she has great self-control, and thread her steps very carefully but calculated. I disagree with her husband that she is always one step too slow. 

Amazing isn't it? Tha'ts okay. The drama got a lot of  articles from news outlets especially how Korean society and education matters into their lives. The obsession to get into best schools. Tackled social issue and for each of the family and  how sons and daughters must behave and act and according to societal norms that dictates them and especially when it comes to education.

My favorite too. Cha Family.

23 hours ago, africandramalover said:

PS. Someone should start a petition for Coach Kim to do a melodrama as the protagonist!! Too many evil roles! It's enough! I'm sure she'd kill it as a melo protagonist!! I want to see her in a kiss scene!!

Hahaa. You and I have same thoughts.  She'd make a good protagonist.

19 hours ago, herina_90 said:

IKR! He's so hard to read! I'm trying to decide if he's going to do the right thing... or he's secretly just waiting for KJY's downfall so he can take over. 

Mr. Jo.. is the next KJY.

Perhaps season 2, JTBC? considering the success... critical and  ratings as well.  Maybe college settings then  graduation and finding that all important high paying job after  being in Top University.

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

Wew I really learnt a lot from ep 18, especially KJS’s awakening!

I hope HSJ sees the parallel between Yeseo and her dad, herself and her mother-in-law. Both went through the same conditioning to strive for academic success at all costs. Both achieved 100% grades, countless awards (as laid out by Yeseo and when Yeseo’s dad threw his own awards on the floor). Both mothers masterminded their children's rise for their own greed. In the end KJS realises that he has no soul, only the roles known by others, as his mother’s son, HSJ’s husband, father of the family, director of planning…. There is no KSJ himself because he sacrificed everything else for his pursuit towards hospital chairmanship. Like him, Yeseo sacrificed friendships, her childhood and more for grades. And after 50 years of pursuit, it amounted to nothing for KJS. The only thing he wishes for is to be loved by his mother for who he really is, as her son and not for his achievements, a trophy child and as a doctor.

KJS’s mother really thought that she did him a big favour, after all the effort she put in to raise him to where he is today. Yet he was never grateful for her efforts . Instead he berated and blamed her for how he turned out, soul-less without conscience.

Can HSJ see that this is exactly what will happen to her when yeseo finally comes to a realisation?

Cha Min Hyuk- when he comes back to an empty home, what does he have left? Perhaps his position as a law professor. But how about family? How about respect? For all the wealth and position he can attain in the world, there is no family left for him to share with. There is no family left for him to love. I think this is what his wife wanted him to realise by moving out with the kids. Yet to my disappointment, CMH is fundamentally a broken man who never learns. Honestly he shocks me every time the situation turns extreme and I would expect some reflection from him... hahaha Sigh, after so much, really can't see what can stop him from his obsession with his children’s grades.

Ultimately, the pursuit for success is mired by the words ‘at what cost?’

_________

I will really liked how the drama progressed from where Hyena was killed. Some were sad that she was just killed off like this but I thought writernim used this plot device well. TBH I couldn’t see where the drama was going if hyena was to continue with revenge. The focus of the story would then shift to becoming a revenge drama and lose its purpose as a social commentary about the academic culture in Korea and the pursuit of success at all cost. The writer really used hyena’s death to bring out KJY as the devil and forced parents to come to realisation about their mindset.

Also I find that using KJS to signify repentance is very convincing as he is the ultimate product of this academic culture and parents’s toxic mindsets. He symbolises both sides, the child in the system and the parent enforcing the system. By choosing to change and put a stop to Yeseo’s situation himself, it will really shows that this culture will only evolve if parents themselves make the change in their mindsets. No use changing how exams are administered as because no matter how much and what is being changed, if parents do not change their mindsets, this culture will continue to perpetuate. From the country I came from, the government has decided not to publish names of top scorers and their scores for national exams. Grading and ranking systems are also modified and people are calling for the abolition of the stressful primary school leaving examinations. However, because parents do not change their mindsets, there is a high demand such that tuition industries come in to conduct mock examinations for parents to know their children’s standing in absence of official rankings.

Thank you writernim for such an awesome drama! Doesn't just touch on these issues superficially as it can easily plod that road but the steps to realisation and emotional parts are really well written. I hope we all, especially the parents in asian contexts do takeaway something from this drama :')

• Like 7
  • Insightful 2

I understand that there are viewers who are upset that SKY Castle will not air on Friday. But I think we should give JTBC a chance since they also have commitments to air the Asian Cup. I feel like they will air a special next Friday, before the finale the following day.

I also think that this is a response to TV Chosun's decision to air the pilot episode of "Babel" this Sunday. Please note that Babel is a Sat/Sun drama, which will air 10 Minutes earlier than JTBC's Fri/Sat series. A lot of people have high expectations for the series, but they want to avoid the ending of SKY Castle so it won't hurt them, that is why they pushed the pilot episode on a Sunday. Now that JTBC might push the ending of SC, I wonder what their reaction will be.

I would also want to point out that the series is so popular, that other networks have been either asking the drama's cast to guest on the show, or their variety shows have a SKY Castle themed episode. I also saw SBS and MBC News creating digital news features about SKY Castle.

While I understand that a lot of viewers feel that other networks are too desperate to join the SKY Castle bandwagon, I feel like this is normal for the broadcast industry. It's normal for TV Networks to chase what is viral because at the end of the day, they need ratings to survive. Sadly, they do it at the expense of another network's sweat. 

I remember when there was a time when JTBC was doing the same because they want to be look like the public networks. It didn't work, and so, they reformed themselves and decided to become the image of their own. Now, that they are the most influential network in South Korea, the public networks want to be like JTBC.

And we need Coach Kim to wear a School uniform on Knowing Brothers!

• Like 5
  • LOL 1

It is most interesting that the two characters most adamant in their beliefs are Professor Cha and the mother of YS, Seo Jin.  And, they are the two who came out of deep poverty.  They are extremely greedy.  They have already achieved and have so much. Yet, they are still not satisfied. 

One has to wonder if their level of greed is a result of their experience with poverty.  They probably pulled themselves out of the hole of poverty by doing whatever they had to do, regardless of conscience, integrity or honor.  Perhaps, in their mind, they are just one step away from falling back into that hole.  They feel as if their position/standing is so shaky that anything, in their life, that is not the best will make them fall.  Therefore, they must have the best job, house, children, etc.   

I am not trying to explain or excuse their actions.  It just brings to mind something that I've heard people say.  They talked about 'old money' versus 'rich money'. 

Old money is secure in themselves.  They are comfortable in their own skin.  They don't feel the need to demonstrate their wealth or status for others to see.  They don't feel the need to be blatantly acknowledged, by others, for their wealth or social class.  Their wealth and position are quietly assumed by people around them.

New money is insecure, and therefore, has to show their 'richness' all the time.  More importantly, they feel the need to be constantly acknowledged by everyone for their wealth and social position. The French even have a term for them, i.e.,  noveau riche (new rich).  Also, they are very bourgeois in their behavior and outlook.

However, it doesn't seem like Woo Jin's parents came from wealthy backgrounds.  Yet, they certainly don't have the same perspective as the other parents.  Perhaps, the difference is in the environment in which each of the characters grew up.  It seems like Woo Jin's parents grew up in a warm and nurturing home; where they were supported to be the person they wanted to be.  Not what their parents wanted them to be.

Perhaps, one message, from the drama, is that  a nurturing home environment is more important, in shaping a child into an adult, than any tutoring or academy. :huh:

BTW, if you want to see a really fantastic performance from the actress playing Coach Kim, watch the final episode of "History of a Salaryman".   :o

This drama is absolutely great, in all aspects.  And, it is a drama that I think so many people should watch.  However, I have no delusions that any parent, watching this drama, will identify him/herself with the characters.  Even if they are an exact replica of one of the characters, they will disavow any resemblance  to it. ("That's not me." :lol:)

• Like 6
  • Insightful 3

I've taught children and parents of middle school Korean households. I can say they couldn't relate much to the shenanigans of these upperclass folks primarily due to financial constraints. Unfortunately, the kids are sent to hagwons till late hours, while the parents toil to save up enough money for  English summer camp overseas. 

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1

7 hours ago, Auntie Mame said:

However, I have no delusions that any parent, watching this drama, will identify him/herself with the characters.  Even if they are an exact replica of one of the characters, they will disavow any resemblance  to it. ("That's not me." :lol:)

This is what the 5th Amendment is for.

In other news...

3067661857_omWQEPD6_01746dad1b1e1d8f7890

From http://www.rekorea.net/bbs/board.php?bo_table=repu4&wr_id=331

Spoiler

3067661857_FKZDUunX_3218e88dd140b849c775

Love it. Surprise to absolutely no one, #1 brand reputation name for actors, above Hyun Bin and Song HK - Yum Jung-Ah!  Congrats!! :w00t:

Spoiler

Really love it. Goes to show - drama productions are team work - highest paid lead actors and actresses do not a championship produce!

• Like 7

Joonsang cracked.. in a good way.

Yeoseo starts to crack.

Wether it would be in a good way like his father or be like her mother and kim joo young in a bad way, the decission is on her mom.

If her mom still try to groom her the old way, the wrong way. 

Yeoseo might suicide, sure she could get to SNU for sometimebut her guilt and the crack is getting bigger

• Like 4

Final episode of “SKY Castle” to be broadcast next week due to AFC Asian Cup match

Changes have been announced in the broadcasting schedule for the final two episodes of “SKY Castle.”

Previously, episode 19 was scheduled to air on January 25, and the finale was scheduled to air on January 26.

However, changes have been made due to the 2019 AFC Asian Cup, which JTBC has exclusive coverage rights for in Korea.

On January 22, Korea won 2:1 in the round of 16 against Bahrain. As a result, the team will be advancing to the quarterfinals, and the next match against Qatar will be on January 25 at 10 p.m. KST.

As “SKY Castle” begins at 11 p.m. KST, it will be unable to air on January 25. Episode 19 will now air on January 26.

The air date of the finale will be on February 1 or 2, depending on the Korean team’s performance in the upcoming rounds. If the Korean team advances to the final scheduled on Feb 1, "SKY Castle” finale will be broadcast on February 2.

Source: Soompi

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

JTBC should hold a live viewing program for the finale, attended by students and their parents. Provide a table for Seo Hyung for her coaching recruitment just to see if the parents grasped the drama's message. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

So, I have been quietly lurking on this thread, but now that we are on the last week of this drama, I have a few thoughts Castle Chingus!!!

I really like Woo Joo's family. I like that they aren't depicted as being perfect, but just ordinary. Realistic. They are a family that has overcome tragedy with Dr. Hwang losing his first wife and Woo Joo dealing with losing his mom, then having to accept a stepmom. They overcame it, arrived at Sky Castle and tried, albeit unsuccessfully, to incorporate into the culture there. The scene when WJ's mom was on her knees begging SJ to save her son almost broke me. She was so sincere and desperate, it was really heartbreaking.

The Jin Jin family is so cute and funny. I like the relationship that they have with their son. It's easy to write her and her husband off as being suck-ups, but Jin Jin has consistently been honest with folks. When SJ ticked her off, she showed it and she said it. I respect that. Yes, they want her husband to keep a position at the hospital, and he can if he stays on top of his game as an orthopedist.

The Cha's. SH has the best character development in the drama. She started off so timid while dealing with her insecure tyrant of a husband. But now, she is listening to her kids and realizing her own power and strength. The best part was seeing him run around that empty house calling for the very people he looked down on, while being left with his stupid pyramid.

Finally, Dr. Kang , SJ, YS and HN. I knew HN did not stand a chance as soon as she moved in that house. Too much was at stake. However, HN's character is extremely admirable. The writers used her to show that a child can be smart, brilliant even, without all of the private tutors, cheating, backbiting, etc. HN was poor, lost the only family she had and still managed to always finish in the top 2. Plain and simple, she was the smartest kid in the school. Woo Joo was the second smartest. Period. Nothing against YS, but she was being force-fed answers and memorizing them. That's not smart. That's cheating. That is taking the easy road, and in the end, when she had to rely solely on her instincts and intellect, she was a B student, which still isn't bad, just not as brilliant as HN. But that culture of wanting your child to be the smartest and at the top can come with terrible consequences if there is no balance. HN was conceited, mean, lonely, insecure and she had no one in her circle outside of her family and the coach. She was ripe for manipulation.

Her parents failed her. They allowed her to be in this bubble where she felt like the whole world revolved around her. Thus, she began to struggle as all of these things happened, even she knew that she wasn't that smart or as good as they wanted her to believe. SJ made terrible decision after terrible decision. She found out Coach Kim was involved in YJ's family fallout and she went back after firing her. She found out about the coach's past and she still stayed. She FOUND OUT THE COACH KILLED HYE NA AND SHE STILL STAYED. How could anyone allow their child to be around someone who would do anything to make them #1 and be okay with it??? She found out HN was her husband's daughter and chose not to tell him. She found out the dam coach was using stolen exams and yep you guessed it, she STILL STAYED!!! This character is not redeemable for me. She has had too many opportunities to do the right thing and every time she has chosen evil over good. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. 

Coach Kim was setting them up. She planned to get YS into medical school, then little by little she would release all of the information about YS wanting HN dead. About YS memorizing stolen exams. And about YJ concealing evidence. Their family was going down anyway, SJ is just in denial about it. I am glad to see her husband resign and try to make things right. I am glad to see him stand up to his mother. I am also glad to see YS begin to realize that the world doesn't revolve around her. Eagerly looking forward to the finale. What say you Castle chingus??? 

• Like 3

@nubianlegalmind You're right that Ye Suh's mom had way too many chances that she missed. But the show does a good job of justifying it as being realistic. Each time, Ye Suh's mom told herself that this is temporary only, that the Coach is all but a tool to be discarded after, that it's just one more time the end goal is near, etc. It's really how things spiral down for many people, in many situations, the denial can only get stronger because, what else would her previous "sacrifices" be, and the more she's in it, the more she would feel she would "give up" even more.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

New to this thread after watching 18 eps in 3 days! Im guessing the one who pushed HN is her half sister Ye Bin. Anyone thinks so too? My reason being im guessing as in most shows, the murderer is the one whom everyone least suspects. YB might have found out that HN was her half sibling and she might have thought that if HN was alive and the dad found out, she wld be compared even more with her 2 older sisters when it came to studies. YB might have also been angry that she was being used by HN. As for how she managed to push her down, i think that's where the water part comes in? Remember HN kept asking for water in the hospital? And also, i think the story will end with Kwak Mi Yang's family going through a huge tragedy just like her good friend did in the beginning of the drama and that's another reason why i think YB is the culprit. Most pple might be thinking it will be Yeh Suh causing a huge heartbreak to her family.... I could be wrong about this whole thing but let's see~

My other guesses would be really Woo Joo himself or one of the other kids. It won't be fun if they made the murderer too obvious. Anyone has any other take on this? ^^

• Like 2