[Drama 2018-2019] SKY Castle, SKY 캐슬

0ly40

Not even halfway through the drama and but its killing me already, in the best way possible. I really loved episode six especially the scene with Soo-han and his mother, really interesting how this drama tackles problems that are so deep but lightens up the mood because of the drama's absurdity. Speaking of absurdity, its this drama's backbone, really well done. Also love how everyone's character is not one-sided and how deep they are as a person. CHEERS REALLY GOOD DRAMA TO END THE YEAR RIGHT AND START NEXT YEAR RIGHT ALSO FGABUOISGUS 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Nanana85 said:

congrats for the highest rating SKY Castle!! This is really great drama! I'm watching some spoiler clips and the stories development is getting intense. 

Totally deserved. You know I don't care about ratings, it's the high quality of the drama that matters but  the high ratings,  they deserve ! the younger actors the mature actors, for the acting, for the story, writing, directing.

6 hours ago, Nanana85 said:

9 hours ago, jongski said:

My favorite part when the study room was torn down by NSH and when CMH saw it for the first time. ! Yeah!  I salute the musical scorer for this excellent drama

Yess.. that scene is make me laugh out loud, so overdramatic, kudos for the actors, anyway Cha's family story is the interesting one, imo, and Cha Kijoon is being my fave kids so far because of his strong and rebel personality.

Aniway someone mention on twitter that the bgm use in mother scene is from classical composed "Thus Spoke Zaratusthra", woww it's so good at quip the previous Nietzsche thing on the Omphalos book club. :w00t:

I do patiently waiting for sub to watch eps6 no need to rush to enjoy the story. :wub:

I know right. It so fits the  scene. Both when she  tore down that sound proof room and when  CHM went to look at at it. That expression is priceless! KudoS to the actor playing  the character.   I'm about to watch the sub for Ep 6 sub.  As you can see my posts  for every episde's long and so good to see one or two chingus sharing their thoughts.

Excited to watch  Ep 6 sub.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, essme said:

I admire the quality of this drama. And the subjects related  on it. This is my favorite for this month.

Great job everyone ..

agree, the subjects they're tackling are interesting considering the landscape of education around the world. also i love that they're adding elements that are not too forced  but somehow just blends with everything as a whole, not a single story is out of place

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Done with  Ep 6. I love it. so excellent episode again. OMG the ending scene. The cliff hanger. They saw the journal entry of Young Jae.

And  who is "Kay?"  (good will) haunting scene they showed a boy who seems to have special disability- looks like genius teen trapped in his own world. Something must have happened to him. This could be why  KYJ said her involvement ends once students get in to SNU.  But the revelation of Coach Kim. with the "Kay" scene.  She has vulnerable side. A weak side which will see why she has become rock hard and her  focused on teaching students and not getting in involved once the contract is done.

This episode we are reminded Children are not toys, they  are humans with emotions and they get angry, they get upset, they want nurture, and they need that nurture in order to face the harshness of life's reality They shouldn't be obliged and be forced in robotic strict rigid conformity to the norms they have to uphold.

This episode another excellent one and showed us exactly the type of mothers each  Sky Castle ladies are

JJH  She's easily influenced by HSJ whom she idolized but she doesn't even know she doesn't even know her poor background and that she lied about being wealthy. the richest of them all but sweetest too with her 14 yr old son.  Her scene with SH hugging him letting son know she loves him that whenever she sees him having hard time. She just wants for him to grow up healthy that was excellent scene we saw the type of mother she is. She said she "doesn't have strong back bone like WJ mom or strong conviction like YS mom". She wonders if she's doing the right thing ( nagging son so he can like the other children). I think she knows it's wrong but she needs to conform so she goes with the flow

NSH I love her!  Favorite scenes always with her. The duel with CHM, her bet with him, her bravado.Cha household is the most interesting on. The  twins the, the psycho domineering husband, and NSH the protective mother!  that jerk CHM she's no match for her savageness! I honestly love her scenes.

HSJ she favors YS over YB and it drove YB to do shop lift, to run away, imagine  saying shop lifting is a way to relieve stress. She focuses more on the YS forgetting that YB also exist. She is how she acts because she's afraid to lose everything she worked for. The mother in law doesn't have any love and affection for her. Her husband JS doesn't warm up to her either. She's making sure YB gets to SNU because this will be something to brag and boast to JS mother. But her past is hidden and if its unravel, she'll lose  (fake) dignity. The elites will make her an outcast.

LSI she who whose parents run an orphanage ( where HSJ grew up), her core values are intact in that she didn't grew up and she's used to mediocre lifestyle. She's not WJ biological mother, so  I understand now why she doesn't push him, demand of him, or asked him to  do more.  She trust his decisions especially when it comes to study habits and how WJ does it.

The revelations: WJ real mother was sick for 5 years, and I said previously, I feel a sad story for WJ. There is reason why  he's determined to be doctor to and studying hard to. Hye Na is the daughter of EH  who is the first love of JS ( not sure of Hye Na is JJ daughter or   if he met EH who had Hye Na already.  She wanted to asked a favor. Probably to look after and take care of Hye Na. And Coach Kim omg.. wow the secrets for the first time cracks of vulnerability showed on her face. I want to know more who is "Kay."

But that last scene...left me wanting more after the scene. So good! every scene. every characters. The younger actors, the mature actors, the twist, the plot the music, the directing, the impressive acting. Best drama out there.

• Like 4

Sky Castle keeps on impressing me everytime a new episode airs. I like that it teaches me how to become a better parent to my children. I'm so glad that with only by word of mouth it was able to gain the attention of viewers. I found a comment in one famous drama blogger that this person didn't even know about Sky Castle until it was already airing. Someone also was quite disappointed because Sky Castle is giving the drama that it likes a hard time to get a higher rating. 

I know it's not just about ratings but it's still making me happy to see that a good drama is getting the recognition that it deserve. Sky Castle is called as the underdog for this particular timeslot and I agree. The rival drama is being starred by hallyu stars which are very skilled and famous but I guess people can relate more with Sky Castle.

Now to episode 5 and 6.

I love the children including the annoying YS. The Kang and Cha family made me realize again that favoritism and making siblings compete with each other is really unhealthy. I can easily relate to YB since I also have a sister who excels in everything (tho my sister is much sweeter and kinder than YS). YB being rebellious is a lesson to parents coz it really happens. Parents won't admit that they have favorites but in reality they do and the children with less attention suffers from it.

I really hated Professor Cha when he said that his sons should be competitors first before being brothers. I'm like, "what the hell are you talking about?" I haven't met a person like him yet and I hope I won't ever meet one. Making siblings compete with each other is really not healthy. The one that will excel will have more favors which will just make the other one insecure with his achievements. Everytime Prof. Cha suffered in episodes 5 and 6, I celebrate.. hahahahahaa...

Both the Hwang and Woo family have one child each. I like that both these families love their kid unconditionally. The kids there fortunately are less damaged and more happy. JJH's sweetness towards her son is so welcoming. I guess that's the good part of her character. She openly expresses her affection to her son and it was just so sweet. LSI parenting skills comes from her years of spending in the orphanage managed by her parents. She was able to meet different kinds of personalities there and it helps her deal with the children in SC.

YB is the golden child this week. I'm emotionally invested in her story since I can relate to it. HSJ loves YB child but unconsciously she favors YS more. It's the classic drama where a mom compares her children and demanding one child to be like her sibling. It will be hard for her to accept that she favors the other one more. How do I know, coz until now my parents denies that they favor my sister more.

I'm scared with what the writers will do with WooJoo's story. He appears to be too kind like he's the perfect child. If the writer will take his character to a much deeper case, it can be scary. He keeps things to himself as his father said. For five years he didn't complain and just took it all in. It's like he hasn't acted out yet. I get a bit scared when I saw HyeNa's reaction when WJ offered to carry her books. She looked at HS first, accepted WJ's help, walked in front of him then looked at HS like she's saying, "I got the boy that you like." She might break WJ's heart and this can be the start of WJ's dark side. 

HN's story is still a mystery. We still don't know if she's KJS's daughter. But she's very competitive towards HS. She even said that she will not lose to HS. Maybe in her mind HS is her complete opposite. HS is from a rich family with complete parents while she's poor with just her sick mother. She has a lot more to offer in this drama and I'm looking forward to it. 

I have said a lot and I'm sorry for the long read (If you read the whole thing). 

• Like 3

Kay is his name. It's hauntingly disturbing.. A man-boy -child in white dress solving complex problem  and all the books scattered around. For the first time we saw vulnerable face of KJY.  He could be her son or  one of the students she coached and the end result   the child became like that.  Just like Young Jae has become suicidal

Dt97j5IVAAERFnU.jpg

cr: partspts

It's true.  The child's revenge. After they were forced to to conform to the greed of expectations of the parents and succeed. They've become messed. While the parents are at their happiest, the child becomes even more messed up.

"That's how they got their revenge. They obeyed their parents and live the lives expected of them.And when their parents were ate ther happiest, they crushed it in one go." - Kim Yoo Jung, Ep 6

cr:  e

Dt9QbIxVYAA0rpX.jpg

Dt9Qb_VU8AEqXdQ.jpg

Spoiler

Dt9Qb_SVYAAJERa.jpg

Dt9Qb_VU8AAu5IY.jpg

• Like 5

Ok this drama is stunning and the best drama of 2018 easily for me. 

Such complex characters you hate one minute then sympathise with the next , No Seung Hye's household is my favourite at the moment. Also really like Lee Soo Im and what she will do for the rest of the show, also she has a handsome son ;o

I thought Kang Joon Sang actually did mal practice but looks like hes covering for someone under him so made me look at him in a new light. 

Han Seo Jin is the only character i dont really sympathise with at the moment. 

Where is the damn ending song from i need it full. 

• Like 6

I feel each of them will probably see Young Jae's journal. It will be the catalyst for them do something different for their children.

A mother's love for her sons. She will protect them no matter what.  Be there for them.

DuEUw-dUUAA2h_h.jpg

They want them to succeed but the well being of the child/ren is utmost importance for them as well.

DuEVSMrVsAAscUZ.jpg

But when it's too much, the children gets suffocated with constant pressure  and little emotional support the end result is tragedy.  Just like what happened to Young Jae and his mother who killed herself. Blamed herself for her son's attempt to withdraw and thoughts to end his life since he gave hr what sh wanted most... admission to SNU.

This was ep 2 when MJ read the journal of YJ .

Dt-jQBcVsAAOnB1.jpg

al lsc ctto

• Like 2

So I saw the below...

After watching ep 2 when it premiered I already thought about that.

On 11/28/2018 at 7:31 PM, jongski said:

Lets see who's going to be the next one to breakdown from rigorous aspirations and greed of the parents

On 12/4/2018 at 6:50 AM, jongski said:

that YS may turn out to be another YJ and HSJ like the the mother who killed herself.

But her personality  belies  her doing anything like YJ did. SNU admission, being the top student.. she wants it. She's into it but.. the way coach Kim is....

But then I also thought of SJ because he's the most fragile and vulnerable.

• Like 2

Not sure if this has been mentioned before. The ornamental gift from YJ's mom was given a close up shot right after the heartening scene of JH hugging SH on his bed in ep6. 

MJ didn't just choose any random gift for the three moms to pretend that she went on the cruise trip. She had a message hidden within the ornament. It was a mom cradling her baby right? And JH was doing exactly that, although that just stems from her own character and not through interpretation of the sculpture ornament.

In time to come I'm sure the moms will decipher the meaning behind the gift. Both twin's mom and HSJ were seen looking at the gift meaningfully. And more than once the director gave purposeful close up shots of the ornament with each family's family photo beside. 

I guess its not only what MJ wants to tell the three moms but also what this scriptwriter wants to convey to every parent and child watching this drama.

Side note: I really enjoyed the revelation in ep6 that YS's dad has a different side to him. The characters are so layered, and that's so realistic unlike the cookie cutter good guy, bad guy, good guy forced by circumstance to do bad stuff, bad guy redemption arc yadah yadah we usually have.

Ye Bin is pure gold, both as a character and as an actress.

Bravo Sky Castle.

• Like 3

Late to the party as usual.   :lol: Watched this on the recommendation of @icemaid....and from the get go I was hooked...goodbye sleep.  Binge watched to Ep 5... Not sure if these points were mentioned before

The Selfish Gene (Author Richard Dawkins)

A book that noted that if you are 'selfish', you survive and get to produce progeny.  So therefore, not just the fittest and healthiest survive, but those who selfishly determine that self preservation trumps all.  Think Titanic.  The man who forces himself onto the life raft pushing aside women and children and the frail is the one who is most likely to 'survive'.  The hero goes down with the ship and dies.  Altruistic individuals who are other-centred will be more likely to perish so their genome doesn't get passed down to future generations.

Omphalos (The Name of the Book Club) - Cr Wikipedia

omphalos was not only an object of Hellenic religious symbolism and world centrality; it was also considered an object of power. Its symbolic references included the uterus, the phallus, and a cup of red wine representing royal blood lines.  (Drama keeps referencing Generations of Doctors as a tradition to upkeep...and the elitist Sky Castle families who live apart from their down trodden 'normal' folk).

Nietzche (references in the Book Club) - Cr Wikipedia

Among philosophers, Friedrich Nietzsche is most often associated with nihilism (moral nihilism determines that there is no inherent right or wrong - morality is what the individual deems it to be). For Nietzsche, there is no objective order or structure in the world except what we give it. Penetrating the façades buttressing convictions, the nihilist discovers that all values are baseless and that reason is impotent.  The will to power describes what Nietzsche may have believed to be the main driving force in humans – achievement, ambition, and the striving to reach the highest possible position in life.  So in the case of YehSu's Mom, stealing is not inherently right or wrong.  It can be viewed as a means to 'vent frustrations', it is 'stress relieving'.  There is no moral code except that which you determine and for her, getting to the very top no matter the costs is the ultimate trophy/'good'.

The plants

Notice how when the new family moved in,  SooIm brought with her a truckload of plants.  And she plants veggies.  It's organic.  Her parenting style is very organic, you tend to the plants but give them the freedom to bloom and grow within loose boundaries.  Interesting to note that the only other house that seems to have plants is SeoJin's Mother-In-Law's house.  But note the difference.  Bonsai.  Tortured, miniaturised, meticulously controlled, manicured and shaped and wired to suit the curator.  A allegory to the tightly controlled and regulated and mounded children and lifestyle of most of the Sky Castle moms (they were the extreme end of it, but there are others in the 'real world' doing the same with equal fervour).

I agree with everyone here, this is a gem of a show.  Every episode just gets better. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, icemaid said:

@nrllee welcome to Sky Castle!

You have fallen into the pit!:lol:

Haha...it's a good pit though...the Abyss like the twins call it. Murky but real and you have to keep swimming to get yourself out of it. There's so much going for this drama.  Meaty with many lessons to take away. :D

• Like 3

Hey All, I'm a bit late to this post but I have followed this drama since the day it was announced. SKY Castle is already my second best drama for 2018 and we're not even halfway. Right from the first scene, I could tell this drama was gonna be LIT and I am definitely not disappointed! Everything is working well here; the cast, the cinematography, the story, the music... I wait anxiously for Friday nights, and rewatch past episodes, something I haven't done in a while.

My main attraction was the more mature cast, veterans I have followed since I started watching dramas 10yrs ago. As soon as I saw the names, I knew I was gonna watch it regardless of the ratings. (A mature cast is almost a guarantee that the story will be solid.) I'm on the better side of 30 so I don't care for idol actors and their pop dramas...:ph34r:  However, I will make an exception for Chani because I love SF9:). Dramas are business, so I understand why idols have to be included, even though this drama is awesome enough to not need them.

The young actors have also been such a revelation! Their acting is solid backed by a solid script. Ms Ubermensch is doing such a good job of being an annoying prick, I can't even be mad at her character!! I won't repeat what has been said here because we all agree they're doing a good job.

I especially love the humour the writer has injected. One of my favourite scenes is when the twins are out riding their bikes and spot Ms.Ubermensch walking. The naughty twin whizzes past her and screams in her ear... Oh MAN!! That scene was too funny! Or when Gangnam Bully Number One bumped her head into her neighbour's chest. Ouch! I wonder how the writer thought of it!

or this one....

I'm looking forward to seeing how the castles fall from the sky and who will rise up from the debris. The spread of the diary is like a fire that will raze  the entire place down. Only the ones who are willing to change will survive. Hopefully, it can make the education policymakers in Korea think about making more comprehensive changes to the education production line. (we have the same problem in my country, just not as bad). A Wife's Credentials didn't wake them up though, so maybe I shouldn't expect some social change.

I want to applaud the real star here, the screenwriter. The story and set up is so solid, only a catastrophe can ruin it. I have confidence she can keep up the quality of the story to the end. Now, when is Friday getting here???!!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, flurre said:

MJ didn't just choose any random gift for the three moms to pretend that she went on the cruise trip. She had a message hidden within the ornament. It was a mom cradling her baby right? And JH was doing exactly that, although that just stems from her own character and not through interpretation of the sculpture ornament.

@flurre    Because she already knew.. she already read the journal entry of YJ

@nrllee@icemaid@Wotad @flurre welcome to the thread

@africandramalover  you finally post your thoughts. I just see you liking posts.  For a while I thought  why is it that I'm the only one discussing  sharing  thoughts  on every episode of this drama when it's so good and excellent. Happy other soompiers are here to share their thoughts.

Yeah.  That tablet of doom  and despair and the TRUTH. That diary is spreading like wildfire. Everyone who's read and who will read about  it will know exactly the  how YJ felt!

• Like 3

@jongski  thank you for the welcome! We meet again! :lol:

Loving this drama, the characters are so layered.

I found the Cha household most interesting now especially the wife seems stronger.

Just when we have our plates full digesting about the 4 households in Sky Castle, we now got a glimpse of Coach Kim and Kay. Kay looks like another case of hothousing gone wrong?

Waiting for the coming episodes...

Dt7ywG1XcAEvrlm.jpg

• Like 3