[Drama 2018-2019] SKY Castle, SKY 캐슬

0ly40

@jeijei Imagine that happened in real life? 

I do wonder where the scriptwriter of this drama got its inspiration/motivation to write this story. Or maybe she herself lived in a community like Sky Castle? 

I am having trouble waiting for the last episode. I just want Friday to come sooner...but at the same time it means that this drama will end and I NEED TO START CLASSES. :bawling:

------

@wangnyeo I can't believe I missed your post! Thank you for sharing your own story. It takes a lot of courage to recenter yourself and go on the path of healing when surrounding people only see that you have a successful career. 

The drama Goblin was healing for me. Still is. And now this drama Sky Castle allows me to see the perspective of where my parents come from. Every human is vulnerable, but it takes love and understanding for humans to come together and embrace each other. 

• Like 6

For some reason, I don’t hate the character Han Soo-jin. It interests me that this drama portrays such a realistic character. I love Han Soo-jin at first for how she is such a passionate, hard working and stubborn at the same time. She is a strong woman who can do anything for her daughter. At the middle of the drama, when she was hesitant of letting go of coach Kim, I felt frustrated. Indeed her stubbornness becomes her weakness, seldom her to see a situation in a different view. She was confident that her family would not get ruined since she thought they was diffderent from Young Jae’s family.

and at the end when she decided to tell the truth, it wasn’t for Woo-Joo or Hye-Na either.  It’s was for Yeseo. To be honest, we all want to see a character that acts right all the time like Woojoo’s mother but human tend to be selfish and self centred. It is hard to truely be selfless and sacrifice your family to someone else. I really appreciate the writter of this drama to create such complex character. 

I wonder what coach Kim wanted to say to Yeseo’s mother and is Hye-Na really Soo Jin’s daughter. To me ep 19 seems like the ending episode already. So ep 20 is probably a twist. When everyone thought Yeseo’s family will have a happy ending, the birth secret will probably turn them upside down. Maybe the birth secret was coach Kim’s final card and she was successful this time to make Yeseo’s family ruined.

• Like 3

I agree with the above. I also believe that ep 19 was just to make everyone think that everything has ended and Yeseo's family will have a happy ending. I think ep 20 will give the final blow to show that YS's family will indeed be broken apart like the family in the first eps. And i still don't think HN was killed by Coach Kim?

Anyone knows where to watch live tonight? Tkx. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, AnhH said:

wonder what coach Kim wanted to say to Yeseo’s mother and is Hye-Na really Soo Jin’s daughter.

It was revealed during Happy Together "Children of Castle special" broadcast yesterday about this.

Spoiler

Kim Bo-Ra accidentally said that Hye-na is not Kwak Mi Hyang's daughter, after being asked by the hosts. Jun Hyun Moo asked, "Is it really not the case?" and she replied, "Yes. Can I say this?".

She comments that although she knew it is not the case, she said that she thinks that the theory actually seems plausible. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, reydevan said:

And i still don't think HN was killed by Coach Kim?

I still have my money on Prof Cha who pushed her (unless it's the security guard?)...their family seems to already have their happy ever after without him... I thought for a while he had a lightbulb moment as he threw his ramen onto the pyramid...only to see him returning to status quo again and cleaning it off...he can't let it go.

Ep 19 thoughts (yes I have been away and only watched it then) :lol:

1. I liked how Prof Kang finally stepped up and showed his mettle by meeting his Wife at the Police station.  Supporting her decision and giving her the reassurance that she did the right thing by his books, and he would be there to get through the ordeal together with her.  I also liked how despite SeoJin's protest that it was all her fault and she would apologise to WooJoo on her own, he stepped up again and went with her.  They stood together as a family united for the first time as they faced Grandmother.

2. I liked that WooJoo didn't forgive SeoJin and Prof Kang straight away and gave meaning to HyeNa's sacrificed life.  Had he forgiven them straight away without his soliloquy about HyeNa's fight for injustice, HyeNa's death would've been just that...collateral damage rather than a fight for injustice (giving voice to her departed soul).  It also makes it more realistic.  Kudos to the writer.  I guess some of us feel it's too little too late for SeoJin.  Question is - is it ever too late to say sorry?  Yes it doesn't make everything right straight away but at least it's the beginning of a journey to reconciliation.  Whether we get there or not in any satisfactory measure may not be the point.  The point is that we start the process.

3. Mention of Exupery's Little Prince (seems to be the book of the month - it is also encountered in another drama recently) by Kay's dad as Kay the genius child peers through the telescope to view B612.  Exupery's Little Prince has Rousseusque elements strewn through the little gem of a book.  Jean Jacques Rousseau was an 18th century philosopher on education and a forerunner of Romanticism. He believed that natural education in children promotes and encourages qualities such as happiness, spontaneity, and the inquisitiveness associated with childhood.  Rousseau advocated child-led learning, elements of which were seen in the Hwang household.

4. Mention of Dead Poet's Society.  Another movie that challenged the preceding educational system which celebrates performance academically above all else.  Carpe Diem...

5. Pie Jesu playing in the background as Coach Kim prepares the curry meal (the Last Supper) for Kay and herself.

6. Finally, thank you @jeijei for injecting real life black comedy to this thread :lol:.  Your succinct punchy comments have me in stitches.

Ep 20 will deliver in spades yet again I don't doubt it for a minute.  The writer has lulled us into thinking that it's all wrapped up now with Coach Kim in prison.  That cliffhanger at the end of Ep 19 says ...but wait...there's more.  :sweatingbullets:

@ponderings 

By the way, is it a coincidence that the drama Encounter/Boyfriend and also this drama mentions innocence, children and The Little Prince? I think it's a sign that I need to read the story especially when both of these dramas are my favorite.

Off topic so in spoiler Re Little Prince

Spoiler

It's a great little book.  It packs so much into it.  It reads like a children's storybook but it isn't.  Exupery kept condensing it from the original draft till he could condense it no more... Believing that less is more.  It has baffled bookstores for years...they never know where to put it.  It looks like a children's book but it's not.  You can read as much or as little you want into it... Is it a hat or an elephant swallowed by a snake?  :D

• Like 4

• Guest changed the title to [Drama 2018-2019] SKY Castle, SKY 캐슬

Just finished the last eps of Sky Castle live. Disappointed cos there was no twist in the end like a few of us expected. It was just to tie up the loose ends. Guess the writer didn't want to make it too makjang. Anyways still AN AWESOME DRAMA!!!!

Didnt get the last part tho. Coach Kim came back? 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, reydevan said:

Just finished the last eps of Sky Castle live. Disappointed cos there was no twist in the end like a few of us expected. It was just to tie up the loose ends. Guess the writer didn't want to make it too makjang. Anyways still AN AWESOME DRAMA!!!!

Didnt get the last part tho. Coach Kim came back? 

who kill hyena?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, reydevan said:

They didn't dnt show so it means it's really Coach Kim's work. I had hoped there wld be a twist there. 

Spoiler

I saw twitter comments that HyeNa actually jumped herself... is it true?? I've only seen the clips on youtube

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, herina_90 said:

Hide contents

I saw twitter comments that HyeNa actually jumped herself... is it true?? I've only seen the clips on youtube

I watched w/o subs but i doubt i wld have missed this being mentioned. Unless it was said when my video buffered a few times. 

Im sure many k viewers will be disppointed cos i saw on Happy Together that many of them were trying to guess the murderer and came up w their own theories. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, reydevan said:

I watched w/o subs but i doubt i wld have missed this being mentioned. Unless it was said when my video buffered a few times. 

Im sure many k viewers will be disppointed cos i saw on Happy Together that many of them were trying to guess the murderer and came up w their own theories. 

Guess I gotta wait for subsss. I think I'll probably be a little disappointed both ways, whether it was true or that it was left to viewer's interpretation. I was alll for the big revelation tonight! 

That said, I was already sobbing my eyes out at the youtube clips even w/o subs so it's going to be hard waiting for subs...

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, herina_90 said:

That said, I was already sobbing my eyes out at the youtube clips even w/o subs so it's going to be hard waiting for subs...

I sobbed hard when Lim Soo Im brings Kay to visit KJY :tears:

Strangely, I can't bring myself to weep watching HSJ sobbing regretting her wrongdoings to Hyena. Hmmmm.. Especially the part when she shut her mouth tightly even though Hyena was dying, calling KJS "dad" and he refused to operate on her. But, in some ways, I do pity and empathize her character. I don't know, I think I empathize every character in this drama. Amazing drama indeed...the writing, acting, execution, the humor, cinematography, editing...etc etc.. thumbs up!

• Like 4

Finished. That was truly satisfying and heartwarming.

I was a little worried what they would show here since the climax unraveled in episode 19, but, this was good too. 

This show isn’t a whodunnit and the characters have been remarkably consistent from start to finish - consistently human and imperfect - so I don’t know why people were expecting a twist. The murder mystery was basically all wrapped up by episode 18.

This episode was Kwak Mi Hyang confronting herself in Kim Joo Young. Seeing what she could have become if she continued down that path, and firmly rejecting it. Her character has “turned” round the bend completely. 

@chickfactor good to see you here. Would love to hear your thoughts when you’re done. Would have loved to write more but I’ve been so tied up with work and family and writing obligations.

Sky Castle was memorable for me because it made me think about myself as a mother at every turn.

The most heartwrenching part for me was how Kay has internalized her reaction to her mother crying - it’s an emotional trigger that catalyze her worst fear: losing her mother’s love.

I had a difficult day at work today. And when I came home, the kids just wouldn’t listen to what I said. I knew I sounded irritable and annoyed, but I couldn’t help it. And I remembered how my mom used to lose her temper and I hated myself for being that way. Moms get tired. Moms get frustrated. But you know what? Kids are incredibly attuned to their mother’s emotions too. They probably sensed my negative vibes. This show reminded me that more than anything, kids crave their mother’s love and acceptance. At least for now (until the teenage years haha), I am their world. I can’t forget the look on my son’s face as I flared up. And instantly Kay’s face came to mind .... tonight I sleep, tomorrow I try to be a better mom.

Goodnight all. It’s been a great ride.

• Like 11
  • Insightful 1