[Drama 2018-2019] SKY Castle, SKY 캐슬

0ly40

[SKY Castle] Ep 10 spoilers, Yum Jung Ah x Lee Tae Ran x Kim Seo Hyung

Article: Naver 'SKY Castle' Yum Jung Ah's daughter drops to 4th in rank, agrees to let Kim Bo Ra move in 

1. [+3401,-527]
Everyone is finding Han Seo Jin pitiful, but I think she's still having it too easy. 

2. [+2796,-22]
Ye Seo takes after her father, so her personality is like trash too... Anyway, Cha Pa Gook [t/n: Kim Byung Chul, reference from Goblin] getting touched just by hearing Se Ri's voice was so funny. 

3. [+3122,-670]
Hye Na doesn't seem pitiful to me at all. She seems like a bad kid.. 

4. [+2328,-22]
Yum Jung Ah's passionate acting is daebak. 

5. [+2875,-1080]
I'm starting to dislike Lee Soo Im... I could understand her feelings somehow, but is there 

really a need to expose her that way? 

6. [+787,-20]
Hye Na is the younger version of Kim Joo Young.. She's not an ordinary child seeing how she makes use of others' feelings.. She made use of Woo Joo just to go to Ye Seo's house. 

7. [+747,-8]
Daughter-babo [t/n: father who adores daughter too much], Pa Gook. Se Ri-ya!!!! Anyway, I wonder what kind of key does their oldest daughter hold? I don't think she'll be appearing for nothing.. 

8. [+794,-140]
What's with the people saying that they are disliking Lee Soo Im now? People are always talking about how frustrated they are, telling her to expose Mi Hyang, and asking why is she only getting bullied all the time. Today's episode was refreshing. I think people are too invested in Yum Jung Ah because the story focuses on her a lot. 

9. [+662,-3]
In the end, Ye Bin will be the one going to med school. 

Article: Naver 'SKY Castle' Yum Jung Ah rejects suggestion to let Kim Bo Ra move in... Kim Seo Hyung, "Not listening to me?" furious  

1. [+1612,-101]
Han Seo Jin didn't do anything right, but I don't think Lee Soo Im is doing the right thing too. 

2. [+1058,-238]
Yum Jung Ah is pitiful... Why does Lee Tae Ran have to talk about slaughtering pigs and cows in front of the residents... 

3. [+835,-85]
Wow.... Lee Soo Im isn't ordinary too.... In the end, she's doing that out of guilt. Is she in the position to blame the group being selfish? 

4. [+737,-341]
Wow, seriously. That damn Lee Tae Ran. How truly civilized and righteous she is. She's disgusts me. 

5. [+263,-37]
Lee Soo Im is a character I don't understand. Such a burdensome character.. I get annoyed whenever she appears..  She's pretending to be righteous all on her own. 

6. [+225,-1]
Ye Seo's inability to empathize with her mother is a huge problem.. Even after hearing about her mother's painful past, she's only thinking about how ashamed she is. Yum Jung Ah is treating the person who knows about her past as an enemy. Even if she's not treating her well, she could've just stayed put, and things might end up in the middle somehow. 

7. [+206,-0]
Seeing the way Ye Seo acted today, it seems like she was raised in a wrong way~ She doesn't care about her mother getting hurt, and she said she's annoyed that she has dirty blood in her. That disgusts me~~

8. [+226,-21]

Wow, why do I hate Lee Soo Im so much...... Is my personality wrong?

• Like 7

8 hours ago, nrllee said:

Is the backlash against SooIm more a reflection on the people accusing her of standing up against an entrenched system because it makes them out to be bystanders with their hands in their pockets?  So they tear her down because it shows them up to be 'ordinary' and makes them feel justified for the stance that they have taken?  Would I have stepped in to try to do something about YeunDo's self harm or just accepted it as "everyone's done all they could and really it's none of my business" like everybody else?  Because the reality is, when I do step in (like SooIm did and does now), it inevitably rocks the boat because I am behaving 'out of the ordinary' and it means I have now 'taken ownership' of the problem.  It is no longer someone else's problem to fix, it is mine...and I own the responsibility of the success and indeed the failure of my actions in trying to remedy the situation.  So SooIm suffers for ownership of the problem, she feels guilt from not doing enough to help YeunDo, probably none of the other teachers would have felt that because they never stepped in?  It is very counter cultural and radical.  I applaud her for her courage.  Without SooIm, there would be no conversation because people would not have their consciences pricked or have to deal with these hard questions.

I can't blame those viewers who hated SooIm, But I think, that's the exact purpose of why SooIm was in Sky Castle to begin with, to change Sky Castle's system. I mean, Just Like MiHyang/SuhJin, SooIm grew in an orphanage, and I guess the reaso why she is doing such things is because of her experience.

While it's understandable that the parents of Sky Castle are pushing their children hard to give them a good life, it was at the cost of their children's emotional and mental health. Not to mention that they may be treated as if they were "abandoned" if they don't please their parents. I guess, that's the reason why the Sky Castle's children are somehow close to SooIm's heart. She doesn't want the children to felt like they are orphans if they do not get what their parents want to get. I also love SooIm's guts as she tries to out-battle the people of Sky Castle. I think with her experience, she can manage it :)

EPISODE 10 RATINGS:
Nationwide: 11.298% (2.695 Million Viewers)
Seoul: 13.312% (1.462 Million Viewers)

This episode broke "Woman of Dignity"'s highest rating episode in Seoul (12.692), making Sky Castle the highest rating JTBC drama ever in the capital :)

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, SaiSai1988 said:

I can't blame those viewers who hated SooIm, But I think, that's the exact purpose of why SooIm was in Sky Castle to begin with, to change Sky Castle's system. I mean, Just Like MiHyang/SuhJin, SooIm grew in an orphanage, and I guess the reaso why she is doing such things is because of her experience.

While it's understandable that the parents of Sky Castle are pushing their children hard to give them a good life, it was at the cost of their children's emotional and mental health. Not to mention that they may be treated as if they were "abandoned" if they don't please their parents. I guess, that's the reason why the Sky Castle's children are somehow close to SooIm's heart. She doesn't want the children to felt like they are orphans if they do not get what their parents want to get. I also love SooIm's guts as she tries to out-battle the people of Sky Castle. I think with her experience, she can manage it :)

That's what makes it a good drama.  It starts the conversation.  For me, both SooIm and SeoJin live according to their beliefs.  They are absolutely sure that their course of action (although poles apart) is 'best' for the children. JinJin and SeongHye are still trying to work it out and I think that's where the majority of us are.  We are trying to navigate it as best with can given the very individual circumstances of our lives (different children, different household, different partners in life, different family backgrounds).  So I think a lot of us will feel much like SeongHye/JinJin...doing our best within the confines of our various situations, a work in progress.   I think that's why the audience doesn't feel as intensely towards these 2 ladies but have intense judgements about SeoJin and SooIm.

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, SaiSai1988 said:

EPISODE 11 RATINGS:
Nationwide: 11.298% (2.695 Million Viewers)
Seoul: 13.312% (1.462 Million Viewers)

This episode broke "Woman of Dignity"'s highest rating episode in Seoul (12.692), making Sky Castle the highest rating JTBC drama ever in the capital :)

If i recall correctly, Sooim was not raised in an orphanage like Mihyang. Sooim's family owned the orphanage. But she has empathy which goes a long way when trying to connect to other people. I think she understands the childrens plights thats why they easily got close to her. 

Congrats sky castle for great ratings!

• Like 6

@leeminhosny Yes, eps are extended to 20. Even more eps for us to obsess over, good news :)

Many Korean netizens are having backlash to Soo Im's decision to 'out' Han Seo Jin. 

Initially, I rationalized it that in Korean culture, perhaps there is emphasis on reputation and name. 

To me, it's natural to 'out' Han Seo Jin. Soo Im would not have done it, except Seo Jin had twice bullied her in recent eps, and even more times in the overall plot.

Recently, first it was the dinner party at her place. And second, to collect signatures. Seo Jin also manipulated the signature-collection situation to make it seem like it wasn't Seo Jin's doing, but she was the puppet master all along.

By lying and creating a fake background, Seo Jin is trying to 'richify' her life, even in front of her children. In doing so, she's sort of denying everything she had to do with her real background, including her friend Soo Im. If you recall, Soo Im was pretty happy to see Kwak Mi Hyang in a new environment (Sky Castle) when Soo Im first moved there. 

So I'm pretty surprised to see many people against Soo Im outing Han Seo Jin. After all, that was the only bullet left in Soo Im's hand. 

There are so many characters in this show with different personalities and objectives that international drama comments and K-netizens can pick and choose who to support or hate. This is an excellent drama that is bound to create heated debates. 

I'm also curious about Hye Na. What is going to happen next?! It's so thrilling. Moving into their home, what does Hye Na want to achieve?! 

• Like 6

SKY Castle rating went from 1,7% at eps 1 to 11,3% at eps 10. And from the data we know that it will be top JTBC drama all the time, and it already be top drama 2018 from JTBC. And currently on position 8 for cable TV drama rating. 

And the stories is getting more interesting, and happy to hear that it will extend to 20 eps, still so much things to tell, and cant wait for Cha Seri's homecoming!! :D

• Like 4

23 hours ago, justamom said:

Ahhhh I can't believe I stayed up this late to catch up on all the episodes.....finally watched till ep 9 and I take back my words. This show has captured both my head and heart. Yeondu's story, and Woo Joo's mom's connection to her, that stole my heart.

Once again, Welcome to SKY Castle!:)

First things first. EP10. I was tethered to the screen for the first thirty minutes! The confrontation between Lee Soo Im and the SKY Castle Overgrown Teenagers gang needs to win Confrontation of the Year award! 

How do you react when the whole neighbourhood has ganged up against you?

Lee Soo Im could easily and rationally have shut down that Inquisition, but the writer chose to develop the scene that way so as to set up future confrontations. The truth about SJ had to come out, but why not heighten the drama and tension by exposing her to the entire neighbourhood? Her mask has been taken off in front of everyone she lords over as the Queen Bee of SKY Castle. Unmasking her in front of the two mums only wouldn't have the same impact.

In that exchange, the writer also brought out arguments for and against the rationale for the gruelling methods they use in Korea, and that discussion was better heard by everyone in the neighbourhood. That was a statement from the writer to Korea. They can no longer play ignorant.

SJ won the argument and the battle but will lose the war. She maintains her composure, but seeing her being ostracized by her former minions was beautiful. Her internal strength cannot hold up against this, however tough her front is, and when she broke down, I felt pity and glee in equal measure.

We also got to know that the SJs husband knew of her background. That was a revelation. Here I was thinking he was in the dark about her life! They're all crazy in that house to concoct a scam like that and keep it up all these years! 

SJ is the all-round master manipulator but I can't even hate her!! LOL! I have to agree that she gets so much more screen time so the viewers will side with her naturally.

The dynamics in the marriages played out spectacularly too. Compare the argument between Dr and SJ vs Dr Hwang and Soo Im. Isn't Dr. Hwang just the perfect husband? When she confessed to him about how she outed SJ in public, I was struck by how she could actually be open to him about a mistake she made, and how non-judgemental he was about it. And supportive of her too! When he said, "Honey, I obviously don't want to stop you if you really want to write a book about it, but I am very worried about you getting hurt.", I thought to myself that DAMN, we need to aspire to such a man in 2019! He is what they call a SAFE SPACE.

19 hours ago, nrllee said:

Is the backlash against SooIm more a reflection on the people accusing her of standing up against an entrenched system because it makes them out to be bystanders with their hands in their pockets?  So they tear her down because it shows them up to be 'ordinary' and makes them feel justified for the stance that they have taken?  Would I have stepped in to try to do something about YeunDo's self harm or just accepted it as "everyone's done all they could and really it's none of my business" like everybody else?  

The writer aptly captured that groupthink when Lee Soo Im called it "Collective Selfishness". 

One thing I have learned in life is that when you take a moral position, be prepared to walk alone, and be prepared to be attacked by the people closest to you. Human beings are weak. Like the gang of neighbourhood people, they will circle like cackling hyenas and attack the person who sticks their neck out, because it is easier than doing the hard work of confronting the system that created the injustice. They can externalise their frustrations and take their aggressions out on this scapegoat like Lee Soo Im in front of them. Is this what is called projection in psychology?

Public opinion in many forums about this drama is decidedly anti Lee Soo Im.... says something about human nature.

23 hours ago, justamom said:

edit: So I’m in the middle of 10 now and it’s just struck me. The REAL Sky Castle isn’t Sky Castle. It’s the house where Coach has imprisoned her daughter Yeon Du. And Su Im’s real purpose in the story is to free her.

I love this!! Lets see how far Coach Kim and her methods fall.

Coach Kim is coming off unhinged in these episodes. She's manipulative, stalking Lee Soo Im and using the knowledge she has about her past, using the family history against Ye Seo etc amongst other diabolical acts. However, I was tickled by her evil Mojo Jojo laugh when she heard about the meeting. The cinematographer also shot that scene brilliantly, as we peep in through the blinds, with her all-black frame in the window. What does she really want?

Professor Cha, the master of comedic relief. In real life, I would have a problem with him gloating about the downfall of his competitor's public image, but seeing him laugh at the tribulations of SJ and hubby was the absolute highlight!! And when he compliments his wife to his sons, I was so dead!! Too funny!!:D I love how petty and juvenile the men in this drama are. It's such a relief from the one dimensional composed, rational, businesslike fathers of dramas we are fed. I will forgive his pettiness because of how much he loves his daughter. Seeing him yell and push the flowers in his wife's face was awesome!

I must complement the people in charge of props in this drama. They need a raise! Did you see the little doll thingies in Prof.Cha's scenes? Notice how they rotate the doll in each scene...:joy:

48389733_10156512545790412_1141032562685

Spoiler

48405005_10156512545885412_3113202040868

48398070_10156512545955412_4967392065966

48996067_10156512546085412_2670122743483

48378066_10156512546220412_8466992441642

Lastly, the writer could not have made Hye Na's entry into SKY Castle a simple affair. Everything that happened in that episode was set off by the Inquisition and worked to push SJ to accept Hye Na. There had to be multiple hurdles in the episode that would force SJ to accept her on her own prerogative. That's why we saw Ye Bin need her coaching skills, Ye Seo collapse and fail because of the revelation, and Coach Kim use the knowledge to arm-twist SJ into accepting her. Coach Kim's argument that Hye Na is the pacemaker Ye Seo needs came at the right time, after everything has collapsed around her. This argument was the final piece of information that would help SJ make the decision to accept Hye Na. SJ accepting Hye Na in an act of Noblesse Oblige would have been too shallow.

Lastly, I am super ecstatic about the ratings. It is truly deserved for the writer, crew and cast that have given us such an amazing story to warm our weekends.

• Like 5

OMG! So busy with real life stuff.. holidays and all but going to stream the episodes later.  At least other chingus are  coming to this thread posting and sharing thoughts.

9. [+662,-3]
In the end, Ye Bin will be the one going to med school. 

So true. YB is the smartest one after all.

I'll post reactions to some thoughts and episodes later after I'm done watching. Congrats JCTB and Sky Castle sky rocket ratings ep 10.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, angelbeast90 said:

Is this drama also a commentary on bystander syndrome also?

In a word, YES.  It has certainly made me rethink what I would do in everyday scenarios.  Do I step in to stop someone who I feel has overstepped by slapping their child in public?  What about those videos you see posted where someone is talking down to someone on a train - complete with racial slurs?  Do I say something?  Or do I film it like the person is doing?  Or do I walk away coz really, it's none of my business?

3 hours ago, africandramalover said:

One thing I have learned in life is that when you take a moral position, be prepared to walk alone, and be prepared to be attacked by the people closest to you. Human beings are weak. Like the gang of neighbourhood people, they will circle like hyenas around and attack the person who sticks their neck out, because it is easier than doing the hard work of confronting the system that created the injustice. They can take out their frustrations and aggressions on this scapegoat like Lee Soo Im in front of them. Is this what is called projection in psychology?

Indeed.  We need more (not less) SooIms in our lives.  They are the very people who will in the face of great peril still stay true to their moral compass.  They will be the Schindlers in a world of Fascists.  The voice of change.  They will be the ones asking the hard questions which we will need to search our hearts and consciences to find answers for instead of just glibly adhering to the entrenched system 'just because'.

• Like 5

Congrats sky castle!

“SKY Castle” has shown continuous incline for three weeks after its premiere. Kim Bo Ra’s role of a student in poverty is also gaining a lot of attention as she made it into the 10th place slot for the list of top 10 buzzworthy actors. The diverse characters with strong individuality in “SKY Castle” are gaining a lot of attention as 15 cast members placed within the top 100.

Source: https://www.soompi.com/article/1279375wpp/park-bo-gum-song-hye-kyo-top-rankings-buzzworthy-actors-sky-castle-continues-rise-popularity

• Like 5

Done watching eps 9-10 of sky castle and i think i am agree with most of your thoughts lately @africandramalover @nrllee @122am 

In this drama we cant really choose which side we stan because of their character development up and down depiction. First maybe you dislike, but other time you will give symphaty coz of their sad back story reveal. :sweatingbullets:

this time i stan for sooim. She's not mean to reveal suhjin real identity, it was Suhjin herself. She and her husband are the worse. No wonder Yeesuh feels hurt and betrayed after knowing her parents (mom) lies. So amaze they even hire people to act as fake parents (grandparents for their children).

I didnt gave my sympathy for suhjin either eventhough she's very pitiful. I am personally very mad at her at ep9 when she says sooim never understand how myungjoo feelings about youngjae, because sooim never giving birth. That's so rude! Her own child or not, Sooim is a mother. :mellow:

eps 9 hit me hard on yeondu story, it really breaks my heart. :tears: kinda understand what sooim motivation to write novel inspired by youngjae's story. 

And still coach kim is the scariest, what is her real motives to destroy her student family life, because her life is a tragedy? And anyone notice yesuh grandma's friend when she's on voluntary work? The one whose curious about coach Kim? Was she the same lady who introduce herself as Laura Jung that recognize Jennifer from Fairfax, Virginia?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I would disagree that SooIm should not interfere with the rest of Sky Castle people. She is shaking things up for what she believes is better, and I guess this is what makes the series to become intense. I mean, I just can't imagine Sky Castle without SooIm. They may add HyeNa, Coach Kim, or anyone in the series, but I don't think these people will add more tension to the series the way SooIm did it.

And we need more Cha Family scenes! They are sooooo funny! :D:D:D 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Nanana85 said:

@africandramalover@nrllee@122am

And still coach kim is the scariest, what is her real motives to destroy her student family life, because her life is a tragedy? And anyone notice yesuh grandma's friend when she's on voluntary work? The one whose curious about coach Kim? Was she the same lady who introduce herself as Laura Jung that recognize Jennifer from Fairfax, Virginia?

Sharp eyes! I rewatched that scene wher when the woman confronted "Jennifer" and asked after Kai and it's indeed the same lady. She doesn't seem to know Yesuh's mom in that scene. She did ask the grandmother to introduce her to the daughter in law so she'll make the connection then and help expose Jennifer's past.

And Kai seemed really young when the accident happened so I doubt it was directly because of over studying. The image of the young child in a white dress was clearly of a normal happy little child.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cinnyangel said:

And Kai seemed really young when the accident happened so I doubt it was directly because of over studying. The image of the young child in a white dress was clearly of a normal happy little child.

I am wondering if Coach Kim's hopes of having a child prodigy in Kay (if she was indeed Jennifer from Fairfax) and to have that dashed due to the accident plays a part in her rather warped motives and coaching methods.  Note how she like SeoJin 'hid' her past?  She didn't acknowledge that she was Jennifer, nor did she acknowledge having a 'child', she gave SooIm the impression that her child died. And in a way Kay did die (in her mind) when the doctor pronounced that she was no longer a 'normal' child after the accident.  All the hopes and dreams she had pinned on Kay and the life she had mapped out in her mind's eye about how Kay's life would unfold was shattered.  The life that she dreamed of for Kay ceased to exist, so Kay 'died'.  So perhaps in her bizarre demented way, she projected all those hopes pinned on Kay onto her various charges (pure speculation) hence her drive to get them to succeed.  It could be her way of getting back at a world which had robbed her of that joy so she finds fulfillment in providing that service to others with a total disregard as to the means of getting them there?  She's an odd one.  I do somehow feel that her motives with YeSuh isn't as direct as the other students before her.  It has something to do with the fact that SeoJin treated her so contemptuously earlier on that has added an element of vengeance into the equation.  I think that's why she seemed maniacal when the whole facade of SeoJin's poor past came to light.  I feel like she will deliver the University entrance spot for YeSuh but she will seek to destroy the Kang household and bring misery to SeoJin in the process.

Don't you love how the twins 'shared' their notes on the exam questions with their fellow students?  They may have lost their winning positions on the school ranking system but they would've gained friends.  Mom SeungHye praised them for their act of generosity and fair play. She doesn't preclude them from working hard though or slacking off.  She tells them to try harder next time.  So she subscribes to working hard but not at the expense of your character.

I love how Sky Castle explores how different families deal with an entrenched educational system (note also that the competition never ends even after med school...Prof Kang and even the Chairman is still on that social ladder climb in their work place).  Different strokes for different folks. Each needs to work out what's right for their own household.

Hye Na's name may well be a play on 'Hyena' after all.  Hyenas are at the bottom of the food chain.  They scavenge off food that top predators like the lions leave behind.  Hye Na wants to walk into the Lion's Den with nothing more than her street smarts and inner drive to survive.  I am wondering if her intentions are driven by revenge as well?  She didn't mourn for long.  Instead of shriveling up and going to pieces, she seems to have channeled her sorrow and bitterness into a productive anger.  Almost mirroring Coach Kim in her ruthlessness.  Is there a parallel their lives?

• Like 5