[Drama 2019-2020/2021] Love Alarm, 좋아하면 울리는 - Season 2 out now

0ly40

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With ‘Love Alarm,’ finding love is supposed to be easy

Imagine being able to know whether someone likes you or not by opening up a smartphone application. 

That’s a reality in the world that web comic author Chon Kye-young created - a world where you don’t have to express your emotions because the app will automatically share your special feelings for someone and send you an alarm if the person you like is within 10 meters. 

Within this world, three high schoolers - Kim Jojo, Hwang Sun-oh, and Lee Hye-young - become entangled in a love triangle that becomes more complicated through the creation of this app. 

Netflix has turned the web comic series into an original series directed by Lee Na-jeong and starring Kim So-hyun, Jung Ga-ram and Song Kang, much to the excitement of the fans of the original series. 

“I am a huge fan of the original comic [myself],” confided director Lee at a press conference held for “Love Alarm” on Wednesday. “[But for the series] I concentrated on showing more realistic side effects of the app, which can be more dynamic than it seems.”

Kim, also a fan of the webtoon series, didn’t think that she was match for the role of Jojo at first. “I was originally cheering for someone else to play the part,” said Kim. 

“But when the role was offered to me, I couldn’t resist taking it because I am such a huge fan myself. I was tempted to find out how I could portray Jojo’s character, who seems weak and frail on the outside, but also has a steely personality that gets her through her difficulties.” 

Song, who plays Hwang Sun-oh, talked about the burden he feels playing a role with such a huge fanbase. “[It was especially difficult because] Hwang isn’t really the talkative type,” said Song.

“So I debated a lot about how to express his emotions. At the end, I decided to focus on his momentary expressions, which is enough [for viewers] to be able to get a glimpse at his feelings.” 

The director added that she received a lot of help from Chon, especially in creating the Love Alarm app to be used in the drama. “Designing the app wasn’t easy. I wanted the app to look and work as if it actually exists, but also wanted it to be romantic and gender-blind. Juggling that balance was hard, which is why I sought a lot of advice from Chon.” 

The series is expected to be released worldwide simultaneously in 190 countries. The trio expressed their excitement for being a part of a Netflix original series for the first time.

“I’m curious to find out how viewers from overseas will respond to this series and how their reactions might differ from local [viewers],” said Jung.

“I am still not quite familiar with the concept of uploading a project to a [global] platform,” Kim said. 

“I think the reality of it all happening will start to kick in as people post their reviews after the episodes are released. I’ll be waiting for them.” 

When asked whether or not the director has any plans for another season, Lee pointed out that it depends entirely on viewer reactions. “The ending for this show is different than other local dramas,” Lee said.

“The ending will have the viewers wondering about Jojo’s decision [between Hwang and Lee].” 

The first season, which consists of eight episodes, will become available on Netflix on Thursday. 

BY LEE JAE-LIM [lee.jaelim@joongang.co.kr]

http://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/news/article/article.aspx?aid=3066968

59 minutes ago, Elif Ataş said:

When asked whether or not the director has any plans for another season, Lee pointed out that it depends entirely on viewer reactions. “The ending for this show is different than other local dramas,” Lee said.

“The ending will have the viewers wondering about Jojo’s decision [between Hwang and Lee].” 

I wonder if this is true, because there is also the ratings (100% accurate, since we're talking about an online TV platform) and I'd guess they are more important...

Reactions, reactions... I'm new at Netflix and I've only seen the usual "thumbs up" and "thumbs down" icons in every show. Should we flood the "contact us" section, begging for another season? Or scream through the social networks? Naver or FB/Twitter/etc?

Inteview photos

ECeRqImU0AAEwcD.jpg

ECeRq28U8AA2dps.jpg

ECeRsHzU0AIBTBv.jpg

cr:thestandardpop

Spoiler

[Photos] Press Conference Photos Added for the Upcoming Korean Drama "Love Alarm"

Kay

photo1093647.jpg

Press conference photos added for the upcoming Korean drama "Love Alarm" (2019).

Directed by Lee Na-jeong

Written by Lee Ah-yeonSeo Bo-ra

Network: Netflix

With Kim So-hyunJung Ga-ramSong KangShin Seung-hoSon Su-minGo Min-si,...

8 episodes - Thu
Synopsis
Adapted from a webtoon by Chon Kye-young.
The story revolves around an unknown developer releasing an app that will tell the user if someone within 10 meters has romantic feelings for them, which greatly disrupts society.

Broadcast starting date in Korea : 2019/08/22

photo1093646.jpg

photo1093649.jpg

photo1093648.jpg

https://www.hancinema.net/photos-press-conference-photos-added-for-the-upcoming-korean-drama-love-alarm-132741.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Actress Kim So-hyun taps into her own experience for new Netflix K-drama

Fancy an app that helps you to discover your true love? Well, the new Netflix original K-drama Love Alarm revolves around such an app: When there's a possible love interest within a 10m radius, Love Alarm will alert you of that special someone's romantic notions.

But can an app - no matter how complex the programming is - determine a person's feelings when anything and everything becomes a variable in the matters of the heart?

During a press conference in Singapore last year, director Lee Na-jeong (Fight For My Way, Oh My Venus) explained why she wanted to be part of the project.

"When we are in love, we are consumed by happiness. But sometimes, too, we are overwhelmed by feelings of sadness from being apart, as well as jealousy, which then bring out the ugly side of love.

"The opportunity to explore the many layers of love is what attracted me to Love Alarm."

The eight-episode series is based on a popular 2014 Korean webtoon by Chon Kye-young (Unplugged Boy, Audition) and stars Kim So-hyun (Who Are You: School 2015, Hey Ghost, Radio Romance) as the main protagonist, Kim Jo-jo.

Audiences first meet Jo-jo when she is an 18-year-old student, leading a tough life living with her aunt after the deaths of her parents.

Despite the daily struggle, she exudes a positive vibe at school. Her exuberance soon attracts the attention of best friends Hwang Sun-oh (Song Kang) and Lee Hye-yeong (Jung Ga-ram).

While Sun-oh and Hye-yeong are competing for her love, Jo-jo is oblivious except for the fact that the app notifies her that two people are interested in her. However, she is not told who they are.

Actress Kim shared during the same press conference: "When I read the webtoon about people finding love through an app, I felt kind of sad as I thought there's a bit of disconnection in a relationship found through technology."

At the same time, the 20-year-old Australian-born South Korean admitted that she could relate to Jo-jo.

She explained: "My character is experiencing the emotion of love for the first time, and it reminded me of how I felt. I decided to tap into those feelings as I want to portray a living and breathing character with Jo-jo."

Director Lee agreed with her star: "The app is fictional but the emotions showcased in the series are all real.

"When the Love Alarm rings, you see the app user experiencing emotions like getting butterflies in their stomachs, their hearts racing, etc."

However, what both Lee and Kim want to showcase with Love Alarm is that technology should not be the most essential element when establishing a relationship. Kim elaborated: "Exploring a feeling through an app might be a starting point … But meeting face to face is absolutely important; and this is something I hope the audience will realise when watching the show."

https://www.asiaone.com/entertainment/actress-kim-so-hyun-taps-her-own-experience-new-netflix-k-drama?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter&Echobox=1566360349#xtor=CS2-4

Kye Young-chon has removed her English translated version on Youtube (now those videos are showing up as "private") :bawling:

This time-zone-based restriction is just plain stupid. It's 7:54 AM here in West Europe, I could start to watch Love Alarm at 9:00 but at that time I'm starting work :(. Meanwhile, in America some people has already enjoyed the whole series :P

Just watched the first one. The show is more drama-oriented than the webtoon: I'm missing the fun and light-hearted scenes like when Jo Jo is hiding because Il-suk wants her to do a weird role on stage. Otherwise, I'm loving it. There are some bits of bromance, too. If it wasn't a well known script, many would say both male leads are bisex...

I have never marathoned a drama within such a short period of time before. And within this few hours, I swear my heart went on a crazy rollercoaster ride. It's been a long time since I felt like this about a drama. I feel like my heart is going to burst anytime! 

I wanna share more of my thoughts about the show but I feel I should allow more time for more people to watch the drama then discuss about it.

Premiere Watch: Love Alarm

by stroopwafel

premwatch_lovealarm2.jpg

Premiere date: August 22
Broadcaster: Netflix
Genre: Youth, romance
Episode count: 8

It’s been a long wait, but Love Alarm is finally about to hit our screens. Adapted from a popular webtoon, the drama centers around romance, unrequited love, and the huge–sometimes disruptive–role technology plays in modern life. The story’s catalyst is a popular dating app that sends notifications to the person (or people) you like whenever you’re within 10 meters of them. Kim So-hyun stars as a young woman who does her best to show the world her bright, happy side. She lost her parents as a child but she keeps her pain and emotional scars wrapped up. When she encounters Song Kang, her app pings and it looks like the start of a romance. But their potential relationship is complicated by the fact that Song Kang’s best friend, Jung Ga-ram has had an unrequited crush on Kim So-hyun for years. Despite having been friends since they were kids, or perhaps because they’ve known each other for so long, Jung has never told Kim about his feelings for her. But when he learns that his best friend and is interested in Kim too, he tries to step back and respect their feelings. However, it’s difficult to predict where your heart may take you, so I’m expecting a lot of sweetness and heartache.

http://www.dramabeans.com/2019/08/premiere-watch-love-alarm/

http://koalasplayground.com/2019/08/21/kim-so-hyun-song-kang-and-jung-ga-ram-preview-love-triangle-at-press-conference-for-netflix-drama-love-alarm/#more-98170

• Guest changed the title to [Current Drama 2019] Love Alarm, 좋아하면 울리는 - Netflix

Just an idea about spoilers. We can talk about it, without ruining other people's viewing. Let's use spoiler level for every episode, like:

0. No spoilers. 1. Unimportant 2. Minor detail. 3. Important. 4. Key plot. 5. Don't read it!!!!!

Example, I'm gonna make some spoilers about George Lucas' Star Wars. So, if you are from another planet and didn't watch it, DON'T.

Star Wars, Episode 5 (Empire Strikes Back), spoiler level 5.

Spoiler

Darth Vader is Yoda's grandma... no, really, he is Luke's dad.

Star Wars, Episode 6 (Return of the Jedi), spoiler level 3.

Spoiler

Luke and Leia are siblings.

And returning to LA, is it me or Kim So-hyun and Song-kang mouth and lips are almost identical?

Starting #3...

Love Alarm, episodes 1-3, spoiler level 2 (out of 5):

Spoiler

LOL, Sun-oh is a real Asperger. He speaks and does the first thing that shows up into his mind, without thinking about the consequences for everyone around him.

I'm missing Jo-jo's smiles and laughs. Official description said she was living a hard life (which is true), but was a playful girl (which I'm yet waiting for). Same for Hye-yeong. Let's keep watching...

Jojo 's life is so hard. 

Spoiler

Especially death of her parents and what her parents is trying to do is terrible. Also she knows everything and her cousin and aunt remind her this ,everytime.

Sun Oh knows what he wants and gets it :)))

Spoiler

Hye Young is really good friend but ı can't say the same for Sun Oh.

There's one thing I'm confused about regarding episode 6

Spoiler

Concerning Jojo's motivations to 'leave' Sun Oh behind (or dump him basically). The way I interpret it is that she feels that she has too much emotional burden to carry that she does not want to involve Sun Oh in? Hence why she also recalls a memory of her and Sun Oh talking at her BBQ part-time place where she says that she's always trying to be cheerful; when in fact she isn't. (Tbh I feel like we've seen her being more sad and serious than cheerful throughout the course of the series so far) But there is no still indication as to why she had a sudden change of heart to 'leave' him behind when she was already opening herself up to him and trusting him to be her support.

Though now that I'm reflecting on it again I guess she might have done it because she feels responsible over their accident (how her emotional outburst brought the outcome) and the few days that they both had no contact further cemented her fear of losing him forever? Seeing as they both had such a strong connection to each other, (to the point where they were healing presences for one another) it just strikes me as odd that she would severe the relationship they built over the implications brought by the accident (that there will be more incidents that Sun Oh will be involved in due to her emotional and psychological burdens) and makes the motivation seem shallow. Furthermore, Sun Oh has never once blamed her for the accident and has always been willing to be a patient listener and her supporter through it all. I think I'm just frustrated at these drama plots to involve some sort of unnecessary friction between romantic partners because one of them feels like it is for the "necessary good" of the other when in reality its often the opposite.

Archived